• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a Nerd-War going to break out over PS3?

Sapiens

I didn't think the 360 would cause this much trouble, but what's going to happen when the PS3 comes out? Ugly ebay women who suppliment their husbands factory worker salary vs. Angry nerds who absolutely must play Ridge Racer 7 on the first day. ugh.

I'm going to pre-order 5 ps3s.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yeah, as I try to pick up a X360 next Friday preorderless (in Europe), I'll be simultaneously asking about PS3 preorders - although can they be made if there is no official SKU?

The lesson is: don't count on what supply or demand will be like. You might get lucky and there'll be plenty of supply (like PSP), or you might get unlucky (like X360). I wouldn't bet on PS3 being like the former.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the difficulty with 360 was that the preorder window was very narrow, and appeared with almost no warning. If you weren't on the internet, or keeping tabs, you'd have missed out

If I don't get a JPN PS3, I might even camp out for a PS3 preorder.

bill0527

mrklaw said:
the difficulty with 360 was that the preorder window was very narrow, and appeared with almost no warning. If you weren't on the internet, or keeping tabs, you'd have missed out

If I don't get a JPN PS3, I might even camp out for a PS3 preorder.

Yes I was very late on the Xbox360 preorder window. I pre-ordered mine on August 2nd almost 4 months before launch and it wasn't good enough. It got me to number 14 on the list and my EB only got 12. Don't believe EB either if you're below number 5 on the PS3 preorder list and they tell you that you will get one on launch day. They told me on October 25th I was still good to go for launch day with X360 then called me 2 weeks later to tell me that I wasn't.

The PS2's launch got pretty nasty so the PS3's should be along that line, if not worse. Has anyone sold their 360 box on ebay? Someone did that with their PS2 at launch and got over a thousand for it.

kikonawa

i preordered 2 xbox360 premium packs. i'm taking a gamble to sell the second in profit so it would help to subsidise my own xbox premium (i'm in europe btw)

BUT..... i dont know, I'm worried there will be lots of x360s left arount and it wont be a total sellout like in the usa
(Carrefours and Makros will have lots..)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
the PSP japanese launch was expected to be a blood bath... but it wasn't. There were more than enough units, and most people snagged at least 3 spares to give as xmas gifts or to flog on ebay.

Of course, it was "SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE"...

PS3 launch depends on launch date, price, software, HD movies, etc...

COCKLES

being watched
DCharlie said:
the PSP japanese launch was expected to be a blood bath... but it wasn't. There were more than enough units, and most people snagged at least 3 spares to give as xmas gifts or to flog on ebay.

Of course, it was "SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE"...

PS3 launch depends on launch date, price, software, HD movies, etc...

Probably suicide to have a launch with PS3's on the shelves after Xbox360 sell-out. So I'd expect Sony to hold them back even if they do have plenty to go around.

Amir0x

Banned
DCharlie: I thought every Japanese GAFer pretty much agree that the first month PSP was pretty hard to find?

Anyway, I don't think launch for PS3 will cause the fervor the 360 launch did, at least in the US. And in Japan, I think Sony is gonna face stiff competition for Rev. But I think, shortages for a month or so are normal for these big console launches.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"DCharlie: I thought every Japanese GAFer pretty much agree that the first month PSP was pretty hard to find?"

i managed to be quite lucky - snagged extras for people who asked for them quite successfully. The initial batch was supposed to be a blood bath and all sold out, but for 3-4 days, it was fine.

There was a period after that where the units came in batches, but it was still possible to find units if you trauled the shops.

Saying all that, i do tend to be in Aki more days than not, so perhaps i'm not really the average shopper.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
As long as something can be sold for a good profit on Ebay, there's going to be fights over it.

i managed to be quite lucky - snagged extras for people who asked for them quite successfully. The initial batch was supposed to be a blood bath and all sold out, but for 3-4 days, it was fine.
Well, that really goes against everything that was being said around that time. Hell, even sites like Playasia and others had the crazy pricetags on import PSPs for the longest time.

Raistlin

My 360 core sale on ebay was basically a test-run for me. Learned the tricks of the trade, etc.

I'm going to pre-order several PS3.

I've never seen so much anti-hype over a console launch in my life in regards to the Xbox 360.

It makes me wonder if the PS3 will receive more anti-hype.....

Sapienshomo said:
I didn't think the 360 would cause this much trouble, but what's going to happen when the PS3 comes out? Ugly ebay women who suppliment their husbands factory worker salary vs. Angry nerds who absolutely must play Ridge Racer 7 on the first day. ugh.

I'm going to pre-order 5 ps3s.

If the price is much over $400, I think you'll see a much more subdued launch compared to the 360. Although, they still will all sell out. Plus, I think the 360 gets the advantage of being the first "next-gen" system and all the hype that that entails.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I'll become the bigest nerd once PS3 comes out. My whole time will be devoted to playing on the Playstation 3 and posting on GAF. It will be even worse when MGS4 finally comes out. My ass will be glued to one chair for days!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I have to admit. I'm not the biggest fan of the X360. I was actually thinking about getting it just to have it (wanted to play some CoD2 and PGR3) but I'm somewhere in limbo when it comes to the system I actually enjoy the most. For now we're going to be playing with the PS2 for possibly another year.

My fun (with games) won't start until the PS3 is released.

Note: If a game like Oblivion or Lost Odyessy was a launch game, I would have beatten down someone for a 360.

Top Bottom