• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming January 2017 | Swipe Right Into The New Year

PittaGAF

Only few days in the year and I'm already playing a GOTY contender.

If people liked Card Crawl, they will go mental for Card Thief.

Can't say much but be hyped for it.

Only few days in the year and I'm already playing a GOTY contender.

If people liked Card Crawl, they will go mental for Card Thief.

Can't say much but be hyped for it.
On a scale of 1-10, how GLORIOUS! Is it?

Hopefully there isn't much to fix after the beta so it can release soon.

I spent the entirety of a three-hour flight playing Crashlands--I know I'm a bit late to the party, but it's great! Combines what I liked about Don't Starve, streamlines it a bit, and removes permadeath. Not sure how long of a game it is but I've put at least ten hours into it so far and it doesn't look like it's ending anytime soon.

I just got the orders to move to higher ground and deploy the dish--can anybody tell me how much game I've got left in terms of main questlines?

PittaGAF

But there is no NDA for the beta, right? :p

No but it's still beta and it would be disrespectful towards who worked so hard to craft this game.

It's a REALLY nice beta tough :p

On a scale of 1-10, how GLORIOUS! Is it?

Hopefully there isn't much to fix after the beta so it can release soon.

Dunno but probably gloriously sooner than later. :p

What is Card Thief??

It's the new game from Card Crawl devs, one of the best and most addictive card/roguelike games ever imho.

It's not a real sequel but some key elements are there.

Oynox

It's not.
I never heard of it, but just googled it few minutes ago. Not a fan of these card games so i am not informed.
Oh sorry I read Card Crawl. I also bought Card Crawl not until three weeks ago because it dropped to 99 cents for the first time. But now I after playing I would gladly pay the full price. I would really advise you to get it the next time it is on sale! I am not a card game fan either but this does not play like any card game I ever played.

Pachimari

Megaman 1-6 are now out on the App Store. Seems like there's some slowdown, and the hud isn't pretty.

I'm gonna buy one of them and try it out.

[edit] Oh damn this is shitty.
Framerate is shit and controls are bad. Avoid at all cost.

Pachimari

Look at this shit:

VLPGRp0.jpg

That's unfortunate about the MM ports, was sorta looking forward to playing them. Though to be honest at $1.99 a pop and having all 6 ported at the same time should have been the early red flags for me

awp69

Megaman 1-6 are now out on the App Store. Seems like there's some slowdown, and the hud isn't pretty.

I'm gonna buy one of them and try it out.

[edit] Oh damn this is shitty.
Framerate is shit and controls are bad. Avoid at all cost.

No mfi for mega man. Cmon son.

Look at this shit:

That's unfortunate about the MM ports, was sorta looking forward to playing them. Though to be honest at $1.99 a pop and having all 6 ported at the same time should have been the early red flags for me

This is sad. I mean why bother to release them with all these issues? All it does is add a bad taste to a classic series. Do they not think even the App Store isn't going to be savage in their reviews of them? Well, I hope they do poorly just to show mobile isn't a dumping ground for any piece of shit.

oohh shit - http://toucharcade.com/2017/01/04/mega-man-1-6-review-mega-bad-doesnt-begin-to-describe-it/

Capcom should be ashamed at releasing anything in this state, let alone classics like these. I feel like I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to stuff like this, as I'm aware of the challenges each platform brings, but there's really no excuse for how utterly terrible these are. More or less a worst-case scenario. Do not buy these, even if you hate yourself. Self-harm is never an answer.

rekt

https://twitter.com/hodapp/status/816862749443715072

SteveWD40

Seems the Mega Man ports are ports of Japanese only Android releases for shit phones, rather than ports of the NES games.

Not sure why you wouldn't just run an emulator if you are on android but there you go.

killercow

Oh, I hope so. The Witness fps were never quite good enough to really enjoy it on my computer and I would like to play through it someday.

Oh the iOS version is planned and the game was already shown on an iPad, it's mostly a matter of when and they were quite silent on this port for a while now.

awp69

The Witness coming in January on Android (Shield exclusive):
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2017/01/04/shield-tv-gaming-ces/

Wonder how'll long it'll take for an iOS version to pop up.

Oh the iOS version is planned and the game was already shown on an iPad, it's mostly a matter of when and they were quite silent on this port for a while now.

Interesting. Probably will also have to do with how long Shield has it as almost every one of their exclusive ports, like The Talos Principle, have never made their way to iOS.

There are a ton of them like the Half Life games, Portal, Doom 3, Metal Gear Rising, Hotline Miami 1/2, Borderlands 2, Titan Souls, Parallax, etc.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I spent the entirety of a three-hour flight playing Crashlands--I know I'm a bit late to the party, but it's great! Combines what I liked about Don't Starve, streamlines it a bit, and removes permadeath. Not sure how long of a game it is but I've put at least ten hours into it so far and it doesn't look like it's ending anytime soon.

I just got the orders to move to higher ground and deploy the dish--can anybody tell me how much game I've got left in terms of main questlines?

Agreed. I'm hooked on this game. It's a bit repetitive, but I like the loop and will continue to enjoy this game.

Matt Frost

Card Thief is exiting and really got my curiosity in these type of games... and the dungeon crawling aspect is marvelous... now I wonder if I should get Solitairica...

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Guys - The Quest HD , Chaos Rings 3 or Demon's Rise 2?

I need some sort of RPG to sink my teeth into right now.

bjork

Sword & Poker is an oldie but goodie in the same vein. (There's a sequel as well)

Can you still get those on iOS? I know Konami had some kind of S&P game, and I thought the original two S&Ps were wiped from the app store not long after.

Pachimari

Can you still get those on iOS? I know Konami had some kind of S&P game, and I thought the original two S&Ps were wiped from the app store not long after.

Only the Lite versions are up on the App Store it seems.

They were great games.

Saw Crashlands was on sale. It seems a bit tedious at times in terms of sheer numbers to craft things, and there seems like a lack of consequence (relative to the obvious comparison of Don't Starve), but overall I do rather like it so far.

Playing Machinarium now. Compared to Samorost 3, I'm not enjoying it a lot. For one the visuals are a lot worst but I know this is a 2009 game, maybe it's just the but also the puzzles are borderline frustrating and the sense of adventure isn't there.

killercow

Playing Machinarium now. Compared to Samorost 3, I'm not enjoying it a lot. For one the visuals are a lot worst but I know this is a 2009 game, maybe it's just the but also the puzzles are borderline frustrating and the sense of adventure isn't there.

Machinarium is quite different from Bitanicula and Samorost 3. It's much harder as well.

Saw Crashlands was on sale. It seems a bit tedious at times in terms of sheer numbers to craft things, and there seems like a lack of consequence (relative to the obvious comparison of Don't Starve), but overall I do rather like it so far.

It's a little overwhelming at first, but most of the schematics you find in the wild are just for cosmetic stuff you can put in your house. Once you make sense of all the different craft stations (and when to ignore them once you get better upgrades) things fall into place.

NeoRaider

I am really not a fan of App Store. It doesn't show games that are in sale, it doesn't show new releases...

I feel like some titles are featured all the time. Kinda sick of seeing Mario Run everywhere for past few weeks.

I am really not a fan of App Store. It doesn't show games that are in sale, it doesn't show new releases...

I feel like some titles are featured all the time. Kinda sick of seeing Mario Run everywhere for past few weeks.
Yes, it does, in New Games We Love. It just hasn't been updated for this week/post-lock yet

killercow

Yes, it does, in New Games We Love. It just hasn't been updated for this week/post-lock yet

It has been sort of updated with Don't Starve Shipwrecked but yeah, it's updated weekly (every thursday) and Super Mario Run will stay there for quite a while for obvious reasons.

putermcgee

Just noticed the mainstream "real games" media collectively picked up the Mega Man ports in the last couple of hours.

Just noticed the mainstream "real games" media collectively picked up the Mega Man ports in the last couple of hours.
Much like Kickstarter, only the major failures or the special successes get the most coverage

And of course, that'll only help the stigma of mobile having shit controls and whatnot

It was all over the media from within two hours of the ports going up...

I have hardly seen any "lol mobile" anyways. It's mostly been "lol Capcom." As it should be.

Top Bottom