• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming January 2016 | Should old applications be forgot?

awp69

How long is wayward souls? is it a short replayable game like 80 days or a full length one?

It depends on how good you are. It's a very difficult game and you start at the beginning if you die (it's a rogue like). I love the game but honestly have never reached the end so it's been dozens of hours for me.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i like to have 3 iOS games on my home screen at a time

• AirAttack 2
  • The Banner Saga
  • Power Hover

this is one of the best groups of 3 i've had in ages

So, uh, I got an iPhone 6 Plus.

This thing is massive. Holy shit. I'll play a lot of games on it, though I have my doubts on how it will work for me as a phone. Also Google Cardboard.

Though I was shocked to find that iCloud backups don't really save any app settings. I'm not sure why I even bothered restoring from iCloud - I still have to type in my password for everything.

EDIT: What are some good graphical showcases for iOS? Might sell this one and get a 6s, normal sized.

EDIT2: Implosion is great on a huge screen.

awp69

What are some good graphical showcases for iOS?

Get Air Attack 2. It's awesome and has incredible detail all the way down to the way trees sway.

Asphalt 8 is also fantastic to show off with Metal exclusive levels and already console quality graphics and framerate.

On the subject of Air Attack 2, I finally have all the planes unlocked and the Tigershark is well worth the grind (and recently reduced to 25 ingots). The bomb effects on the Tigershark are so cool to watch. Amazing game.

Heel

Is there still supposed to be a prompt to remove a game from GameCenter upon delete, or did that get done away with in an iOS update? Noticed that I'm no longer getting the option.

awp69

Would love Air Attack 2 on Apple TV. I just felt my finger was always getting in the way on iPad mini.

Did you change the settings from regular touch (on top/bottom of the plane) to relative touch (anywhere on the screen)? I cannot play any shmup on iOS anymore without relative touch.

Yeah, trust me, keep playing.

Yeah, A Dark Room is a great freebie pick. I recommend everyone give it a go.

Wow, I just cleared the game for the first time. A Dark Room deserves every bit of praise it's gotten. I regret sleeping on the game originally, it's truly something special. I would say more, but it really needs to be experienced first hand. If anybody hasn't played or bought it, they should definitely get it now with that IGN promotion.

I've heard the prequel isn't as good, but I'm definitely going to have to buy it at some point.

Get Air Attack 2. It's awesome and has incredible detail all the way down to the way trees sway.

Asphalt 8 is also fantastic to show off with Metal exclusive levels and already console quality graphics and framerate.

On the subject of Air Attack 2, I finally have all the planes unlocked and the Tigershark is well worth the grind (and recently reduced to 25 ingots). The bomb effects on the Tigershark are so cool to watch. Amazing game.

I tried Air Attack 2 back when it released and it's so good on the iPhone 6 Plus. Looks a little better than it does on the iPad Air. Love it, even if it's too hard for me.

Holy shit Oceanhorn looks incredible.

EDIT: Asphalt 8 looks about as good as on the Apple TV (which makes sense, 1080p on an A8) but the framerate hitches a little.

EDIT2: Now I'm wondering if I should sell the 6 Plus (way too big, like I said) and wait until the 7 drops. I like my iPhone 5, it can do me until fall.

Wow, I just cleared the game for the first time. A Dark Room deserves every bit of praise it's gotten. I regret sleeping on the game originally, it's truly something special. I would say more, but it really needs to be experienced first hand. If anybody hasn't played or bought it, they should definitely get it now with that IGN promotion.

I've heard the prequel isn't as good, but I'm definitely going to have to buy it at some point.
The prequel is
essentially the exploration/roguelike part of A Dark Room as its own game, with a different story and other additions. It has its own little secrets and tweaks too that evolve as you progress. Basically if you liked that part of A Dark Room, definitely check out The Ensign

Though I was shocked to find that iCloud backups don't really save any app settings. I'm not sure why I even bothered restoring from iCloud - I still have to type in my password for everything.
Backing up from iTunes, either to iCloud or locally, means you can choose whether you want the backup encrypted or not. Encrypting the backup stores your passwords in it. This is the recommended way of backing up prior to restoring to a new phone.

http://www.theinstructional.com/guides/using-itunes-encrypted-backups

Costia

Is there a way to know how much space is required for a game?
I got "Device 6" and it says 137MB on the store page, but it's ~700MB on my ipad...

Is there a way to know how much space is required for a game?
I got "Device 6" and it says 137MB on the store page, but it's ~700MB on my ipad...
Download the game in iTunes, connect your device, then go to the apps section to install.

filesizepjryy.jpg

That said, games can now have on-demand resources, so even this "uncompressed" size may not be accurate after install. (note: on-demand resources are managed - delete/redownload - by the system when free space is low)

If you're this worried about space your only real options are to delete a bunch of stuff to free it up, or buy a new device with more storage space.

Costia

Download the game in iTunes, connect your device, then go to the apps section to install.

That said, games can now have on-demand resources, so even this "uncompressed" size may not be accurate after install. (note: on-demand resources are managed - delete/redownload - by the system when free space is low)

If you're this worried about space your only real options are to delete a bunch of stuff to free it up, or buy a new device with more storage space.

This is a "no" for me since I wanted to know before I buy the game and buying a new iPad is not an option (I have a 16gb ipad mini 4).
It's not about being worried about space, I just can't fit many games on my iPad. So far I can't figure out how to find small games that would fit without buying them and then retroactively finding out they require ~1-3GB of free space which I don't have.
I won't have access to broadband and my pc for a while so deleting and re-downloading large games is not an option either.
Unfortunately trial and error seems to be the only way so far.
(I am also having trouble downloading apps on my iPad or via itunes on my pc. Error 8008, download restarts multiple times when it reaches ~10MB. Opened a ticket with apple's support, waiting for a reply. Already tried changing DNS servers and checking with my ISP, so the problem seems to be on apple's side, probably with the local CDN/akamai servers.)

awp69

Just as a side note for anyone who is looking, the iPad Mini 4 is on sale for $299 for the 16 GB and $399 for the 64 GB at Best Buy. In fact, I think all of the iPads are on sale (except the Pro).

So yeah, January just got a lot more interesting. The new game from Zachtronics (SpaceChem) got a mobile version a few days ago

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tis-100p/id1070879899

And this one is made in Unity; dev said that means it'll be much easier to keep updated

Yes, it's good. It's very very good. It takes the psequdo-programming assembly line formula of SpaceChem and distills it to pure programming puzzles

Here's the main OT:
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1056605

Playing Crashlands on Steam. You guys are going to love it. Sci-fi Don't Starve with Butterscotch's signature humor. Plus it has a lot of little features that reduces the typical frustrations of the genre, for example, quick travel to your base from anywhere on the map

awp69

Playing Crashlands on Steam. You guys are going to love it. Sci-fi Don't Starve with Butterscotch's signature humor. Plus it has a lot of little features that reduces the typical frustrations of the genre, for example, quick travel to your base from anywhere on the map

So how are you playing Crashlands on Steam? Don't even see it available as early access. I'm not big into survival games like Don't Starve but Crashlands at looks more action oriented from what I've been able to tell.

Looking forward to Venture Kid and Space Grunts next week.

So how are you playing Crashlands on Steam? Don't even see it available as early access. I'm not big into survival games like Don't Starve but Crashlands at looks more action oriented from what I've been able to tell.

Looking forward to Venture Kid and Space Grunts next week.
Press review copy

It's not about being worried about space, I just can't fit many games on my iPad. So far I can't figure out how to find small games that would fit without buying them and then retroactively finding out they require ~1-3GB of free space which I don't have.
developers should be more open/transparent about storage requirements.

developers should be more open/transparent about storage requirements.

From my perspective as an iOS developer, Apple doesn't make that easy. In fact, it seems they actively made file management a weird, confusing process in Objective C. Though I haven't done it in Swift yet.

Apple makes sure you know all the consequences of every API call for memory, battery usage, and so on, but storage? They couldn't be bothered to tell you anything about the storage consequences.

TheExodu5

Banned
No one's talking about Clash Royale? Really fun new game from SuperCell. It's a bit of a Hearthstone-lite, but real-time instead of turn based.

Xion385

Hey guys,

I finally got my first iPad and it's the original iPad Air. I need a recommendation of games. I really liked and put a lot of hours into Faster Than Light. I also really enjoyed Papers, Please. Can anyone recommend me games along that line. I don't like action hack n slash games on mobile devices. I just don't like the faux thumbstick on the bottom corner of the screen. I do like turned based, stationery, strategy games or great puzzle games in general.

Just to help a little bit more here are some of the games I liked so far:

- Faster Than Light
- Papers Please
- The Room
- Monument Valley
- Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes

I was looking into getting Banner Saga, but I'm not sure if the tablet port is good or if I should just wait for the console version.

Thanks guys for your future recommendations.

Hey guys,

I finally got my first iPad and it's the original iPad Air. I need a recommendation of games. I really liked and put a lot of hours into Faster Than Light. I also really enjoyed Papers, Please. Can anyone recommend me games along that line. I don't like action hack n slash games on mobile devices. I just don't like the faux thumbstick on the bottom corner of the screen. I do like turned based, stationery, strategy games or great puzzle games in general.

- Faster Than Light
- Papers Please
- The Room
- Monument Valley

I was looking into getting Banner Saga, but I'm not sure if the tablet port is good or if I should just wait for the console version.

TIS-100 - Programming puzzler from dev of SpaceChem
King of Dragon Pass - A classic blend of interactive fiction and grand strategy
Zero Age - Atmospheric, with challenging puzzles
Zengrams - Minimalist, looks simple, but actually one hard-as-nails puzzler
A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build - A charming Sokoban-style puzzler
Dungeon of the Endless - An excellent mix of tower defense and sci-fi strategy
Euclidea - An elegant geometric puzzler
Door Kickers - Fantastic tactical strategy, blows Breach & Clear away
Icebreaker: A Viking Voyage - One of the best puzzlers on mobile

Benedict

Hey guys,

- Faster Than Light
- Papers Please
- The Room
- Monument Valley

Xcom works well on my iPad mini 2 and is a great port.
Out There Omega edition is one of my favourite games.

Edit: any recommendations for a picross game that is good on iPad?

Voidance

Hey guys,

- Faster Than Light
- Papers Please
- The Room
- Monument Valley

In addition to the lists provided by MB and Benedict, I would add the Kingdom Rush games if you haven't played them on PC. They're a dream to play on the iPad and definitely mobile gaming done right.

Shearie

Edit - Whoops. Didn't see that this was already posted earlier.

My prayers have been answered: TIS-100 just released on iPad as TIS-100P https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tis-100p/id1070879899

I'm a HUGE Spacechem fan (it actually got me into programming) and I only play games on my iPad and I thought this wouldn't be released for it after Spacechem was removed from the App Store.

Edit - Whoops. Didn't see that this was already posted earlier.

My prayers have been answered: TIS-100 just released on iPad as TIS-100P https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tis-100p/id1070879899

I'm a HUGE Spacechem fan (it actually got me into programming) and I only play games on my iPad and I thought this wouldn't be released for it after Spacechem was removed from the App Store.
Also the dev said on Twitter that TIS was made in Unity so it'll be a lot easier to keep updated on IOS

Now hoping we get Infinifactory on IOS one day. If Minecraft can work, Infinifactory can too

Shearie

Did you play it on PC? Easier to control, and the iPad version was missing the story and boss levels

I only played it on iPad since I haven't been a PC gamer in over a decade and prefer to just play games here and there on my iPad (plus Card Crawl on my iPhone). I never felt bad about missing the boss levels since I heard they were the weakest part of the game anyway (maybe I heard wrong?).

PittaGAF

Banner Saga on iPad is GLORIOUS.
Maybe the definitive version so far, even according to the devs.

Along with the other excellent suggestions you already got, you might want to check Galactic Keep, Warhammer Quest and Deathwatch too.

But if you are interested in Banner Saga...definitely go for it, it's a fantastic game and a touch tablet it's its natural device.

I only played it on iPad since I haven't been a PC gamer in over a decade and prefer to just play games here and there on my iPad (plus Card Crawl on my iPhone). I never felt bad about missing the boss levels since I heard they were the weakest part of the game anyway (maybe I heard wrong?).
Been keeping up with the ports on iPad? Between Transistor, Banner Saga, Door Kickers, Don't Starve, etc., iOS gets some of the best PC indies

And we're getting Darkest Dungeon this year.

Top Bottom