• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2016 | Crashlands Bandicoot

awp69

How many episodes are there to download and can you delete them when they are not required? I have a 16 GB iPad Mini 4 so space is always at a premium.

I believe there are five total. And, unfortunately, you can't delete them. However, I really think they're only like another 100-200 MB each, probably due to being able to reuse assets. We're also talking about a 50+ hour game.

I feel your pain with space. I have a 32 GB, but I also have an iPhone 6 that I put a lot of the more quick play type games on. Before my Mini though I struggled with just 16 GB total.

Pachimari

It's 1.7 GB on my iPad Mini 2, but that includes the second episode (although I don't think that was very big of a download).

I'd also point out that this is a very long game (a good thing). The main story line really doesn't kick in until about 10 hours in while still giving subtext and remaining engaging prior to that. Also perfectly made for mobile with the ability to save anywhere.

Best JRPG on mobile IMO.

Okay, I'm turned off already, with the install size, and that it takes 10 hours to really get going for the story - I'm not that patient. Thanks for the recommendation though. I'll get it if and when it goes on sale.

awp69

Okay, I'm turned off already, with the install size, and that it takes 10 hours to really get going for the story - I'm not that patient. Thanks for the recommendation though. I'll get it if and when it goes on sale.

Well, there are story elements in the first 10 hours. Just doesn't really focus completely on it until some things start happening.

I'd definitely keep it in mind for the future.

awp69

Dead Mage tweeted that Shadow Blade: Reloaded launches next week. Loved the original so looking forward to the enhanced version.

awp69

Space Grunts is great, but that d-pad, besides taking up a huge part of the screen, seems off. Doesn't seem to already register my moves. Maybe because of the turned based gameplay? Even so it's a little annoying.

This might be old news, but: The Apple TV exclusive game Galaxy on Fire: Manticore Rising was patched with full MFi controller support.

I thought it was unplayable with the Siri remote, so it's an improvement. Now they just need to patch in better voice acting, frame rate, and camera movement so I feel like I didn't waste $6.

Yeah, the d-pad is really problematic on iPad mini. Even moving it to the very bottom left of the screen. The arrows are too far apart.

?
I recall some people liking the game and being disappointed by the F2P elements, so some folks here might enjoy checking out a premium paid version

CaTEgTxUkAA7kuE.jpg

Space Marshals twoooooo

awp69

If you like roguelikes, check out The Greedy Cave. Very well made (some Engrish), great gameplay, amazingly well done graphics and more RPG aspects like stats and skills than the typical roguelike.

It has a Don't Starve look to it which looks like ignited a huge argument over on TA (ironically started by staffers). But while the promo screenshot definitely shows a resemblance when you play the game, it's only that IMO. Completely different type of game and while maybe inspired by DS graphically, it doesn't look stolen by any means.

Also only $.99, although you can buy IAPs to expand inventory, which I don't feel is necessary from what I've played.

Might be awhile for The Witness on iOS:

Jonathan Blow
‏@Jonathan_Blow
We are looking for a serious programmer to handle the bulk of the iOS port of The Witness. If interested, post on the Witness blog

awp69

Might be awhile for The Witness on iOS:

Jonathan Blow
‏@Jonathan_Blow
We are looking for a serious programmer to handle the bulk of the iOS port of The Witness. If interested, post on the Witness blog

Well, that sucks. Was actually hoping that it was closer to completion but sounds like it may not even have been started.

JCho133

I'm usually not too taken aback by more traditional platformers, but WOW is Super Phantom Cat phenomenal!

Worth the buy on its visuals alone

And the built in screen and microphone recording system? Incredible

awp69

I'm usually not too taken aback by more traditional platformers, but WOW is Super Phantom Cat phenomenal!

Worth the buy on its visuals alone

And the built in screen and microphone recording system? Incredible

It is good. Haven't tried the recording system yet, but cool that they built that in.

JCho133

Everything's slipping out early this week, awesome

A little something I write about this game on TA:

ABSOLUTELY the most novel runner I have played in some time. Quite unlike any others I've ever played. It's just completely perfect at doing what it does. It has a level of focus that I have never seen before in a Foursaken game.

And BOY did Foursaken nail the gritty sci-fi atmosphere.

They actually managed to make the world of this little endless runner feel lived in, having all the different little rooms you run by be sublimely detailed, making the atmosphere of this game actually be its most convincing aspect

colinp

Banned
Dungelot got an update that sounds great. Lots of tweaks and fixes.

And Horizon Chase got an update with Chinese New Year events and races that sounds cool.

JCho133

Does anyone else remember this game? Was absolutely incredible, one of my all time iOS favorites. Game absolutely oozes with style

God of Blades by White Whale Games
https://appsto.re/us/BsDtG.i

Shame, the developer seems defunct or just inactive. Haven't posted on their site since 2013

Edit: Post on their Twitter from September 2015. There is hope.

Seems their most recent project was a Kickstarted card game in 2014 https://www.kickstarter.com/project...rocards-a-creative-drawing-game-of-horrific-h

Thanks for reminding me about God of Blades, I had forgotten the name. It's one of my favorite runners. The combat is simple but feels so satisfying

awp69

Everything's slipping out early this week, awesome

A little something I write about this game on TA:

ABSOLUTELY the most novel runner I have played in some time. Quite unlike any others I've ever played. It's just completely perfect at doing what it does. It has a level of focus that I have never seen before in a Foursaken game.

And BOY did Foursaken nail the gritty sci-fi atmosphere.

They actually managed to make the world of this little endless runner feel lived in, having all the different little rooms you run by be sublimely detailed, making the atmosphere of this game actually be its most convincing aspect

Have to agree with this. Played a few minutes and easily opted to buy the IAP to remove ads. The detail is fantastic and the controls work very well (more so on an iPhone). I like that it's almost more of a rythmn game in mechanics than a typical runner. Gets pretty tricky.

Between Space Grunts, the Greedy Cave and this, great week for mobile gaming ... And $4 for all three? Insane.

Only thing that's pulled me away is playing the trial of Unravel, which is a stunningly amazing puzzle platformer that you really need to check out if you have an Xbox One, PS4 or PC. Sadly don't think it would work on mobile.

awp69

Don't worry. I'll have XCOM 2 to keep me busy. Unravel looks gorgeous

XCOM 2 sounds like it really took it to the next level. Don't have a PC capable of running it. And, yes, Unravel is quite a beauty and has the gameplay to match.

But should get back on topic...

Lots of good sales right now. All the Blackwell games are on sale for $.99 and Don't Starve is $2.99.

PittaGAF

I'm not that into endless runners but I have to admit that All is Lost really clicked with me after a while.
Not sure my iPhone will survive the rage, but it's pretty good and gets really tricky after a while, especially when you try to save the admiral or the captain in upper ranks.

I really wish for an adventure/platfromer/metroidvania with that engine tough....

Speaking of that....I'm in desperate search for something in the vein of Aquaria/Waking Mars/Limbo/Stealth Inc./Swordigo/wathever on iOS since ages....while staring at a friend PC playing Ori and soon Unravel.
Anything, possibly (but not necessarily) scifi?

Nelo Ice

Banned
You guys weren't kidding about All is Lost. After the 1st escape I was sold and bought the IAP to remove ads. Love me a good endless runner.

heringer

People are going nuts over Adventures of Mana and you guys are talking about a runner? :p

Speaking of that....I'm in desperate search for something in the vein of Aquaria/Waking Mars/Limbo/Stealth Inc./Swordigo/wathever on iOS since ages....while staring at a friend PC playing Ori and soon Unravel.
Anything, possibly (but not necessarily) scifi?

The lack of a Swordigo sequel is criminal. Such a great, great game.

You will have to be a bit more specific though, since the games you mentioned are a little different from each other. I assume you mean metroidvania like, but Limbo and Stealth Inc don't qualify.

Maybe Shantae? Traps and Gemstones? Dust: An Elysian Tale? Can't recall any that is scifi.

PittaGAF

The lack of a Swordigo sequel is criminal. Such a great, great game.

You will have to be a bit more specific though, since the games you mentioned are a little different from each other. I assume you mean metroidvania like, but Limbo and Stealth Inc don't qualify.

Maybe Shantae? Traps and Gemstones? Dust: An Elysian Tale? Can't recall any that is scifi.

Thanks!

Yeah they are different but I hope to find anything similar.
I guess anything with a story with that 2D (or 2D/3D from the side) graphic.
Played Shatae already (not really liked it tough) and Traps and Gemstones.

Dust is on top of my to buy list since forever but I still have many reservations....I'm not that into the look of the characters but more importantly the gameplay seems to me much more similar to a fighting game than anything atmospheric I cited before...I alway see huge brawls in the videos with furious action, which I do not dislike but I'm not that into too and I fear, being the game long, that I would be bored after a while...I'm more into puzzles, story, atmosphere etc... (I may be wrong but if I buy I want to finish so I'm a bit hesitant waiting for something more in line with my tastes...but again I may be utterly wrong).

I really wish I could play Shadow Complex remastered on iPad, or Ori and the Blind forest, or Unravel :p

And yes...no sequel to Swordigo is criminal.

heringer

Thanks!

Yeah they are different but I hope to find anything similar.
I guess anything with a story with that 2D (or 2D/3D from the side) graphic.
Played Shatae already (not really liked it tough) and Traps and Gemstones.

Dust is on top of my to buy list since forever but I still have many reservations....I'm not that into the look of the characters but more importantly the gameplay seems to me much more similar to a fighting game than anything atmospheric I cited before...I alway see huge brawls in the videos with furious action, which I do not dislike but I'm not that into too and I fear, being the game long, that I would be bored after a while...I'm more into puzzles, story, atmosphere etc... (I may be wrong but if I buy I want to finish so I'm a bit hesitant waiting for something more in line with my tastes...but again I may be utterly wrong).

I really wish I could play Shadow Complex remastered on iPad, or Ori and the Blind forest, or Unravel :p

And yes...no sequel to Swordigo is criminal.

Yeah, Dust is more on the action side.

Some people liked Momoka. It's kind of metroidvania and kind of scifi. I haven't played, but maybe it's worth a look.

PittaGAF

Yeah, Dust is more on the action side.

Some people liked Momoka. It's kind of metroidvania and kind of scifi. I haven't played, but maybe it's worth a look.

I checked it out but the circular thing isn't my cup of tea unfortunately.
Thanks again for the input...you confirm I already looked everywhere tough....I was hoping to have missed some gems :)

I really like the genre expressed by the titles I mentioned and I feel it's a bit lacking in the Appstore but those really wonderful games.
You can now achieve great graphic with the side view (2D or 3D) on iOS and control wise (movement, interaction and maybe a shoot button) there are no issues anymore imho...so it really bothers me devs, especially indies, do not exploit more the 'genre'.
I blame the race to the bottom of the prices...these games may be 'simple' but with a story and graphical assets they are costly and maybe there is no place for them in this free to play world.

JCho133

I checked it out but the circular thing isn't my cup of tea unfortunately.
Thanks again for the input...you confirm I already looked everywhere tough....I was hoping to have missed some gems :)

I really like the genre expressed by the titles I mentioned and I feel it's a bit lacking in the Appstore but those really wonderful games.
You can now achieve great graphic with the side view (2D or 3D) on iOS and control wise (movement, interaction and maybe a shoot button) there are no issues anymore imho...so it really bothers me devs, especially indies, do not exploit more the 'genre'.
I blame the race to the bottom of the prices...these games may be 'simple' but with a story and graphical assets they are costly and maybe there is no place for them in this free to play world.

Definitely give Momoka a look. It's great.

Matt Frost

Well, Destiny is under maintenance, so... back to iOS for a day lol.

First, WarBits is truly amazing, loving it a lot. Actually playing this one more than anything else. They delivered.

Does Space Grunts controls are as bad as I read? I want that one, looks like the iOS version of the newest Vlaamber title I adored so much

This looks like a promising under-the-radar release
The Moon Awaits
https://youtu.be/6Jpo1VZUMIw
screen640x640.jpeg

This looks like my cup of tea, similar to the excellent Steam game that I love so much, but I cant buy it.... AppStore is down for the moment... sigh...

A bunch of good words about All is Lost

I have the say quite the contrary about this one. Beta tested it as well since I am a huge endless runner junky and this game just doesnt do it. Maybe if you havent played much of the genre you may like it, but for me, it did less than nothing. Endless runners are twitch based, games all about reflexes and where All is Lost fails miserably. The path is pre made, and you just have to do what the game asks you, in that precise moment (at least, like The Executive but worst). Is pretty boring, no thrills, nothing that pushes the adrenaline. Wait until you arrive to that thing, tap, next, rinse, repeat... the whole thing. They tried to mix some genres without any success. THought it was pretty boring. Was thinking why you liked it so much and then I remembered that you where a Foursaken fantatic.

JCho133

THought it was pretty boring. Was thinking why you liked it so much and then I remembered that you where a Foursaken fantatic.

Uhh, no that's not why I like it.

It leans towards a rhythm game rather than a reflex game, and if you're not into that I understand.

I like it because it's an incredibly polished and focused release, great at doing the one singular thing it does (a first for Foursaken, I might say) and the gritty atmosphere is absolutely to die for.

The UI is a sci-fi lovers wet dream, the visuals are probably Foursaken's best to date, and all the different rooms you come across allow for some very intriguing (albeit slight) environmental storytelling.

As for Space Grunts, I actually am finding the controls mar the experience a bit. Can definitely tell he went PC first this time around. Also, keep in mind, this is turn based, unlike Nuclear Throne. Still a great game though, hopefully he can optimize things a bit, maybe add some swipe controls.

Top Bottom