• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2016 | Crashlands Bandicoot

PittaGAF

So...Rodeo is still alive and kicking apparently.

HYPE!!!!!

It will take a while but the core founders will support existing products and eventually/hopefully they'll do new things after a break.
Trying to get fresh infos, mine were a bit outdated.

But anyway I'm happy.

Heel

Pocket Tactics: The rumors of Rodeo Games’ death have been exaggerated

Due to inaccurate reports in the press over the last few days and the questions we’ve received regards the future of Rodeo we thought it was best we update everyone to let you know what’s been happening.

As reported some of the team left the studio back in November, after we’d shipped the iOS and PC versions of Deathwatch. Since then the core team have been working on new platforms for Deathwatch, one of which we’ll be announcing shortly!

Despite Deathwatch being the best game we’ve created as a studio and our highest rated metacritic game, the changes in market have meant that we are unable to continue development as we’d initially planned. Coupled with some personal issues within the team, Rodeo Games are currently taking a break from developing any new titles. The team will continue to support our existing titles.

We’d like to thank all our fans, especially those who have followed us since the beginning. We’d also like to say a huge thank you to the Games Workshop team who were kind enough to trust us with their IP and have supported us hugely over the last few years. Without them, we wouldn’t have enjoyed the commercial and critical success of the last 3 years.

We’ll announce our plans for future releases at the appropriate time. We intend to carry on making the games we love, for the people who love them.

– Team Rodeo

A sci-fi RTS from the devs of Kingdom Rush? Sign me up!
Teaser
112_ingame.png

Art style looks pretty cool. Have you guys had any control issues with RTS on the iPhone? I don't always feel like getting my controller out.
Just in general, outside of word games, interactive fiction. one-touch games, and games designed to play in portrait, most games play better on the larger screen of a tablet. Especially RTS games.

A sci-fi RTS from the devs of Kingdom Rush? Sign me up!
Teaser
112_ingame.png

I've had my eye on this for a while.

The Kingdom Rush games are my most played mobile games probably ever, and seeing them mixing it up with this Sci-fi RPG looks like it's going to be amazing.

If they keep the controls simplistic enough to be easily pickup and play I'll be all over this. Eufloria is probably the mobile RTS I've put the most time into (played it mainly on PC, but recently got into it on Mobile too) and it's controls are very tight and simple but you don't really need to worry about unit types and stuff like that in it.

awp69

Wasn't there some Diablo/Torchlight-like hack n slash RPG coming soon? Name is escaping me.

And it's not Fantasy Mage, which is more like Solomon's Keep, but is pretty crappy after briefly trying on Android.

nampad

Wasn't there some Diablo/Torchlight-like hack n slash RPG coming soon? Name is escaping me.

And it's not Fantasy Mage, which is more like Solomon's Keep, but is pretty crappy after briefly trying on Android.

Not sure but a Torchlight game was announced. Anyway, the genre seems perfect for mobile so I hope a good one turns up soon.

awp69

Not sure but a Torchlight game was announced. Anyway, the genre seems perfect for mobile so I hope a good one turns up soon.

Yeah, apparently, Torchlight Mobile will probably be F2P but have heard mixed things. We'll see.

This was some other game I remember reading about.

awp69

There's a Space Grunts update that may interest some of you who had issues with the controls:
  • Added leaderboards
  • improved various screen navigations
  • improvements to the dpad
  • smaller-dpad (see options menu) for ipad's
  • new item: Tricorder
  • surviving a run now increases character level

Cool. Also need to fire it up again.

awp69

Wish there was a trailer. Would love to read your impressions

A make it or break it detail with CCGs for me are the visual effects of the attacks/abilities. Hearthstone and Decromancer were great in that regard

Also one downer. It's not universal. Read in the TA thread that the dev is going to add it though.

okno

Pilots of Dawn Trailer:
http://toucharcade.com/2016/02/17/pilots-of-the-dawn-trailer/

This is such a Luftrausers ripoff I hope they don't pass certification. Hilarious of Toucharcade to even call it inspired. Not only the gameplay but even the whole aesthetics are cloned.

One of the comments even mentions that they had to ask Vlambeer for permission. Don't know the veracity of this statement, but if that's true... Dayuuuuuuuum they got balls.

Pachimari

Downloaded Thumb Drift.

Metal Slug Attack is out too. It's a F2P title from SNK.

Britney Spears: American Dream and Angry Birds Action has soft launched and Rayman Classic should release later today as well.

One of the comments even mentions that they had to ask Vlambeer for permission. Don't know the veracity of this statement, but if that's true... Dayuuuuuuuum they got balls.
Talking about Vlambeer, Rami is a guy whose opinions on games I find pretty solid, especially with how amazing their game design tends to be

So here's some The Swords praise from him
It's impossible to communicate this game in words but it's really pretty and really fun.
https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/658308715372814338
gyTHL1u.gif

I get a feeling this could be the next Prune

Flunkie

Banned
wish Crashlands was on Vita or something with actual non-touch controls as it's got what I want most in a survival game: objectives/structure

btw congrats on the modship More_Badass

It's an RTS?! Hooooly wow yes please

I'll be counting the minutes to this one.

Anyone picked up Stellar Wanderer yet? If it's anything close to GoF I'll be happy
Yup
It will be a RTS with a Sci-Fi setting. We wanted to try something a little different than Tower Defense. Although the game will have much of what makes us Ironhide… so be ready for a lot of action, using tactics and tons of dumb jokes.

This style of game loses all fun factor when there's no ability to stall your engines, like here.

Don't mean to poo on the game, just what I've found
Have you played Luftrausers? You'd like it. One of the most satisfying things to do is to flip around, cut your engines, plummet downwards while firing backwards at your pursuers, then unleash your engines before hitting the water and rocketing back up into the skies

JCho133

Have you played Luftrausers? You'd like it. One of the most satisfying things to do is to flip around, cut your engines, plummet downwards while firing backwards at your pursuers, then unleash your engines before hitting the water and rocketing back up into the skies

Yes, that's what I was comparing to, a la Luftrausers' ability to stall your engines

Great game

awp69

I actually think Luftrausers would be a good fit for mobile. Well, technically it is on Android for Shield products, but is another one of those controller required deals.

So even though this looks like a complete rip off, at least it has the potential to be good for on the go. Just ashame Vlambeer/Devolver Digital didn't do it for the original.

wish Crashlands was on Vita or something with actual non-touch controls as it's got what I want most in a survival game: objectives/structure

btw congrats on the modship More_Badass
Bscotch is already having trouble figuring out the proper way to port crashlands to mifi controllers so a Vita port would seem like too much work. (for probably little payoff since I don't see it selling well on the vita)

Anyways, I'm keeping my eye on The Swords for tonight, looks very impressive and if it can give me the same zen feeling that prune did then I'll be sure to hop on it. Otherwise, I'll be saving my money for LYTB next week. :)

awp69

So here's some The Swords praise from him

https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/658308715372814338
gyTHL1u.gif

I get a feeling this could be the next Prune

Anyways, I'm keeping my eye on The Swords for tonight, looks very impressive and if it can give me the same zen feeling that prune did then I'll be sure to hop on it.

Actually getting more of a Fruit Ninja vibe from it (with a much cooler art style) with fast paced "combat" fending off the slashes. Zen art style but more frantic than Prune from what I can tell from the video on the App Store.

Actually getting more of a Fruit Ninja vibe from it (with a much cooler art style) with fast paced "combat" fending off the slashes.
The gameplay is definitely arcade-y, fast-paced, not like Prune mechanics-wise. Reminds me of Prune in terms of simple tactile mechanics + "paintbrush" slashes + evocative vibrant art style, that tells a story in an abstract fashion and will likely be praised for its aesthetic. Not in terms the actual gameplay

awp69

The gameplay is definitely arcade-y, fast-paced, not like Prune mechanics-wise. Reminds me of Prune in terms of simple tactile mechanics + "paintbrush" slashes + evocative vibrant art style, that tells a story in an abstract fashion and will likely be praised for its aesthetic. Not in terms the actual gameplay

That makes sense. Probably gonna grab it.

r3n4ud

Oh man, Tennis Champ Returns in the real deal. If you enjoy tennis, this one is worth picking up and pay the small fee to get rid of ads. Loving the rpg elements as well. Great stuff.

Top Bottom