• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming December 2015 | F2P is frightful, but the sales are so delightful

zukalous

Neo Member
It is December already and season for themed updates. I see Frontier Defense is all decked out with santa hats. As crass as it is, I still kind of like it.

Was just coming to post that. And only $1.99!!! Looks freaking amazing so if it plays as well as it looks that is wayyyy too cheap.

Man is this game fantastic. So gorgeous, destructible environments, great controls, no IAPs...This could have been a $10 game easily IMO.
Seriously. $2 is an insane price for the quality and content here. A fantastic shmup

Banner Saga is 5 bucks. Worth it?
Absolutely. Gorgeous art, excellent SRPG gameplay, and a compelling setting influenced by Norse mythology

PittaGAF

Banner Saga is 5 bucks. Worth it?

It's fantastic and plays like a charm on iOS (I would say the definitive version).

If I may, I found the normal difficulty setting a tad too easy and hampering a bit the strategical component, so after a bit you may want to switch to hard (which is perfect imho).

Be prepared for an awesome story, gorgeous art and several of the best music scores of last years.

awp69

If I may, I found the normal difficulty setting a tad too easy and hampering a bit the strategical component, so after a bit you may want to switch to hard (which is perfect imho).

I donno many I still sucked on normal! But you kick ass at these type of games it seems (see Deathwatch). Or maybe it's just me that sucks at these kind of games even though I love them.

PittaGAF

I donno many I still sucked on normal! But you kick ass at these type of games it seems (see Deathwatch). Or maybe it's just me that sucks at these kind of games even though I love them.

Well, my 'problem' was that many fights you could just push thru not even caring about knocked out companions, because you have many mid game so there wasn't a lot of strategy involved imho.
On hard every AP counts and you really do not want anyone being knocked out because next fights will be much more problematic.
But maybe it's just me...it's anyway a game that must be experienced no matter the difficulty because it's simply a labor of love.

Banner Saga 2 can't come soon enough.

PittaGAF

After having played a bit of Ori on my iPhone via moonlight at a friend place (it's a STUNNING technology btw...played that and Star Wars Battlefront and was amazed) I want something similar....a story - platformer possible nice to look at.
Last ones I really enjoyed were Swordigo, Aquaria and Stealth Inc....everything else left me unsatisfied (on iOS).

EDIT: forgot to mention a lot of other similar games I enjoyed...like Limbo, Waking Mars and others.

I'm eyeing Dust: an Elysium tale which was on my radar since months but for some reason I never took the plunge...not really a fan of the look and combat seems the only focus, but maybe I'm just plain wrong.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!!!

After having played a bit of Ori on my iPhone via moonlight at a friend place (it's a STUNNING technology btw...played that and Star Wars Battlefront and was amazed) I want something similar....a story - platformer possible nice to look at.
Last ones I really enjoyed were Swordigo, Aquaria and Stealth Inc....everything else left me unsatisfied (on iOS).

EDIT: forgot to mention a lot of other similar games I enjoyed...like Limbo, Waking Mars and others.

I'm eyeing Dust: an Elysium tale which was on my radar since months but for some reason I never took the plunge...not really a fan of the look and combat seems the only focus, but maybe I'm just plain wrong.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!!!
Many people seem to be put off by the furry art style of game but honestly it never really bothered me. All characters in the game are voice acted and the voice actors put a good performance into each character which I personally loved. It made the dialogue between characters that much better and helped push the story. I've been told from reviews that the combat is great on mobile and you shouldn't have too much of a problem with it.

Ultimately, I have heard that some people just can't play the game due to the art style but, personally Pitta, I think if you can get passed it you'll love the game.

PittaGAF

Many people seem to be put off by the furry art style of game but honestly it never really bothered me. All characters in the game are voice acted and the voice actors put a good performance into each character which I personally loved. It made the dialogue between characters that much better and helped push the story. I've been told from reviews that the combat is great on mobile and you shouldn't have too much of a problem with it.

Ultimately, I have heard that some people just can't play the game due to the art style but, personally Pitta, I think if you can get passed it you'll love the game.

Thanks, much appreciated.
To be honest more than the look (no problems with the characters actually, more the colors) what I fear is that it has too much combat.
I like platformers with combat, but also platforming and puzzles...I enjoy them for the visual and story too.
I fear here furious combat is the only focus over exploration....but maybe I'm just wrong so please enlighten me.

Actually I did a bit of research and Dust is almost always mentioned in the Ori threads....so I'm a bit perplexed.

(I *LOVE* Ori setting and graphics, btw)

PittaGAF

Wait, hold up

What? How does that work? Do you need to jailbreak your device?

No.
You just need a computer with Steam and a somewhat recent NVIDIA card.
Just install Moonlight from the AppStore and possibly use a MiFi controller.
You just need a fast wifi router (any modern one will do, the PC is better if wired) to stream fullHD 60 FPS.
I linked some videos in the old thread.

http://youtu.be/5yhMMlzHZp0

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1144721

I tried Ori and SW Battlefront, both were amazing.

killercow

No.
You just need a computer with Steam and a somewhat recent NVIDIA card.
Just install Moonlight from the AppStore and possibly use a MiFi controller.
You just need a fast wifi router (any modern one will do, the PC is better if wired) to stream fullHD 60 FPS.
I linked some videos in the old thread.

http://youtu.be/5yhMMlzHZp0

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1144721

I tried Ori and SW Battlefront, both were amazing.

Can confirm. I've tried it with a MFi controller (which is emulated as an xbox 360 controller) and it works flawlessly. You can navigate through your entire computer and play any game. There's virtually no lag in local and I haven't tried over the internet yet though this can also be done.

ElyrionX

Having to subscribe to this thread every month is a real pain. The new OT frequency should really be reduced. Just refresh the first post every month or something. I can't be the only one who loses track of this thread for a good chunk of the month because it does not show up in my subscribed threads list.

Having to subscribe to this thread every month is a real pain. The new OT frequency should really be reduced. Just refresh the first post every month or something. I can't be the only one who loses track of this thread for a good chunk of the month because it does not show up in my subscribed threads list.
Every other monthly thread (Steam, Indie, Movies, Reading, PSN, GwG, etc.) does it just fine.

Thread up, still filling in the blanks:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1151064

This thread is now CLOSED
Just in time for 12/1: December thread is up

It's as simple as checking the last page of the thread you were subscribed to

colinp

Banned

Haha, hate to break it to you Elyrion but I think you ARE the only one with that problem. ;)

awp69

Yeah, I prefer the monthly threads. And really we're only talking about subscribing or book marking once a month. Not like it's everyday or week.

Matt Frost

How long until the AppStore locks itself for the winter? Last years was around Dec. 18th if I remember correctly... What should be released this month better hurry up or will be left for 2016...

Ninja Dom

Was just coming to post that. And only $1.99!!! Looks freaking amazing so if it plays as well as it looks that is wayyyy too cheap.

Man is this game fantastic. So gorgeous, destructible environments, great controls, no IAPs...This could have been a $10 game easily IMO.

Ai Attack 2 is exactly what it looks like from the trailer. Looks great on my iPad Air. A busy and pretty casual top down shooter.

Copping this right now!!

Monument Valley is the free app this week.

Copped!

I'm a bit wary of AirAttack 2. It has dual currencies and revives, seems like the kind of game that could switch to F2P if the devs wanted to. It's a great game, but that is kind of worrying

awp69

I'm a bit wary of AirAttack 2. It has dual currencies and revives, seems like the kind of game that could switch to F2P if the devs wanted to. It's a great game, but that is kind of worrying

Reading through the TA thread, the dev seems really committed to staying premium. He actually already reduced the price of a few things. I've also unlocked the $30,000 plane after playing just six of the levels.

There is plenty of cash. It's just the bricks that are harder to come by (which are mostly for revives) Supposedly he made it that way to be challenging.

But regardless, the vast majority of items are gold currency. Supposedly, the dev said he may even just get rid of revives all together.

It's not even close to Sky Force 2014 (which is, of course, F2P) in terms of currency issues. And also no energy system.

Pachimari

When is Flappy Bird supposed to be back on the App Store?

And are you guys buying PC ports for your iPhone, which you already own for your PC?

When is Flappy Bird supposed to be back on the App Store?

And are you guys buying PC ports for your iPhone, which you already own for your PC?
For iPad, not IPhone. And it depends on the port. Turn-based games like Banner Saga and XCOM, definitely. Door Kickers, Transistor, FTL, definitely.

And games with tactile mechanics like Lumino City and Papers Please are arguably better on iPad than PC

Eagerly awaiting Darkest Dungeon too. It'll be a perfect fit for mobile

PittaGAF

Magic the Gathering Puzzle Quest just got an awesome update (game is soft launched in some countries).

It's getting there....the AI just HAMMERED my top deck, where before I could walk on my enemies without even bothering.

Back to the drawing board.

Tons of new cards and a lot of changes to old ones.

awp69

Wow. Amazon shocked the crap out of me by giving me $25 to spend I their regular (paid) App Store.

I know it's Android, but I bring it up here since most of the games I would consider are also on iOS. Amazon's App Store sucks in comparison to even Google Play and they restrict some stuff to just their Fire devices.

But there are some good things I don't yet have. Anyone have impressions on Templar Battleforce? I've heard good things about it.

Also looking at Luftrausers (kind of pissed that they seemed to have Hotline Miami 2 restricted to their devices).

Also, I've heard good things about PewDiePie, but is it just for fans of the show? Anyone play it?

Wow. Amazon shocked the crap out of me by giving me $25 to spend I their regular (paid) App Store.

I know it's Android, but I bring it up here since most of the games I would consider are also on iOS. Amazon's App Store sucks in comparison to even Google Play and they restrict some stuff to just their Fire devices.

But there are some good things I don't yet have. Anyone have impressions on Templar Battleforce? I've heard good things about it.

Also looking at Luftrausers (kind of pissed that they seemed to have Hotline Miami 2 restricted to their devices).

Also, I've heard good things about PewDiePie, but is it just for fans of the show? Anyone play it?
You can't go wrong with Luftrausers. It's an excellent bullet hell shmup

awp69

You can't go wrong with Luftrausers. It's an excellent bullet hell shmup

Yeah, I probably will pick that up.

Looking through their App Store, I'm surprised by some of the Fire exclusives they have - Shovel Knight, Pier Solar. The Devolver Digital games like Hotline Miami and Titan Souls are on Google Play but restricted to Fire on Amazon (save Luftrausers), which I hate when they put these artificial barriers there but obviously want to sell their own tablets.

Hope those games eventually make it to iOS as well, particularly Shovel Knight.

KingKong

Beat the Lara Croft GO expansion, really great stuff and actually a proper challenge. Crazy that it was totally free

ElyrionX

Magic the Gathering Puzzle Quest just got an awesome update (game is soft launched in some countries).

It's getting there....the AI just HAMMERED my top deck, where before I could walk on my enemies without even bothering.

Back to the drawing board.

Tons of new cards and a lot of changes to old ones.

I had no idea this was out.

Top Bottom