• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Invasion (Sci-fi TV series on Apple TV+)

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Looks like another alien invasion defeated by chosen one narrative. The trailer does a poor job at conveying what makes this one special.
My thoughts exactly.

Also, the whole coffee shop indie rock female singer vibe is sooo 2004. “Welcome to my kitcheon. We have bananies and avocadies.”

You know. That vibe.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Between Ted Lasso, For All Mankind, and Foundation; Apple TV+ is really feeling like what HBO used to be in terms of premium series.
Don't forget Morning Show and See, both shows i personally think are bloody excellent, couldnt get the missus to watch For All Mankind, so stuck on See and she bloody loves it...

Romulus

I know it's a movie, but its completely ridiculous that an aggressive species can project its military forces from across the galaxy, or, from another galaxy, yet the humans have a chance? Lol We would die as quickly as they wanted us to. But even if they wanted us to suffer and revel in our defeat, we would speed up our own demise with our inability to coordinate between world powers. I mean just the language/cultural/bad blood between the 3 most powerful nations when seconds count lmao. That's assuming they don't cripple all our satellites in seconds upon arrival.
And we've been broadcasting our capabilities for decades on top of that.

Last edited:

Fbh

Looks a bit generic but could be fun, at least the production values looks really nice and the cast seems solid.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Is this a weekly drip or a binge release?

Seems like it will be 4-5 disparate stories with no shared scenes. Just so long as it isn't 50% flashbacks, I'm basically done with that technique.

I would like just ONE of these shows to hire a writer that knows the full power of the world's (or even just the US) military. Nukes flying, ranged strike capability, heavy armor, etc. Spend all that silly city destruction money on something NEW. Light infantry fighting aliens makes no goddamn sense. I guess the Independence Day flicks are the closest I'll get.

When is "Three Body Problem" supposed to hit?

SJRB

Gold Member
Might be cool? Seems quite big budget, I like Sam Neil and I'm always down for an alien invasion story even if it's been done 20 times before.

Apple TV+ shows are so bad in general. I liked Servant and the first season of Ted Lasso but the rest have been subpar. I think the service wii never take off.

jason10mm

Gold Member
How many eps drop tomorrow? Seems like they do a 2-3 ep bolus up front, then trickle them out.

I kinda agree on apple+ being lackluster. S2 of For all mankind has been a snoozefest, Foundation is gassing out already, See is just such a silly premise I couldn't make it past 3-4 eps despite kinda digging it.

The shows have no edge and they are run through the same homogenization filter as netflix these days which strips all the quirkiness and personality. About the only shit left watching on netflix is asian and european imports because other than the BBC they seem to have dodged the algorithm. I can only hope netflix takes the message to heart and boots the 4 quadrant supervisors out and lets creatives be creative again. This plague looks to have infected the new GOT show, probably Wheel of Time and maybe even LOTR. We'll see if Invasion can be multi-cultural without being pandering.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Tbh Apple TV is pretty piss poor line up wise. But they just started so hopefully it will inprove
I got my sub for a year when I got a new mobile.

otherwise I’ve only watched greyhound, the film with Justin Timberlake, billie eilish doc and ted lasso.

this might be good so will give it a go.

Aggelos

Ya, same here. Watched a couple of episodes, but everything was moving with a sluggish/leaden pace. Story arcs were introduced and developed, but everything was kinda confusing. Therefore, I think I only liked Sam Neil's performance, but don't wanna know more about this alien invasion story as a whole. I'm moving on.

The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported a 39% approval rating with an average rating of 5.2/10, based on 18 critic reviews. The website's critics consensus reads, "Invasion attempts a slow burn but inadvertently lets its tension completely fizzle out with leaden pacing that will leave viewers impatient for the alien apocalypse to finally arrive." Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned a score of 50 out of 100 based on 13 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
Daniel Fienberg, writing for The Hollywood Reporter, said that "Invasion verges on 10 episodes of setup so pure and unfulfilling that a better title would be Evasion". He called the series, "amusing at first, then annoying, and finally, simply confusing", but praised Sam Neill's performance.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
The series so far is terrible.

They released 3 episodes to start off and there’s something like 10 minutes of consequential development regarding the ‘invasion’ part of the story while everything else is focussed on irrelevant personal stories that have nothing to do with the overall crisis or theme.

Sam Neill has his talents wasted on a character Beau Bridges should have played and Rinko Kikuchi lasts about as long as it takes you to recognize it’s her on screen.

We get all of this “character development” across almost 3 hours of screen time and I don’t care about any of them in any way.

Kimahri

Banned
My thoughts exactly.

Also, the whole coffee shop indie rock female singer vibe is sooo 2004. “Welcome to my kitcheon. We have bananies and avocadies.”

You know. That vibe.
Don't call this revolting speech impediment rock. It's regurgitated pop, always has been, and always will be.

Most of all, it needs to stop! Why does every young singer these days think 'R' s will give them cancer?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Drags on so dam much, after 3 episodes and the "invasion" has barley started. Earths Population and governments are not even aware.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
How bad is this show ?

i want ID4/War of the worlds invasion level.
What’s the ratio of alien invasion to human angle ?

Kimahri

Banned
How bad is this show ?

i want ID4/War of the worlds invasion level.
What’s the ratio of alien invasion to human angle ?
We're never getting anything on the level of ID4 again, sadly. I miss alien invasion stuff. Closest we've gotten is ID42, which was perfectly entertaining, but sadly the planned trilogy never happened, people were too busy watching yet another boring super hero movie.

alas

jufonuk

not tag worthy
We're never getting anything on the level of ID4 again, sadly. I miss alien invasion stuff. Closest we've gotten is ID42, which was perfectly entertaining, but sadly the planned trilogy never happened, people were too busy watching yet another boring super hero movie.

alas
We need a good alien invasion movie about Aliens invading.

or TV series.

kuncol02

Banned

alas
Moonfall don't count? It clearly has aliens in it judging by trailer.

SJRB

Gold Member

Roland Emmerich is back to save the day with another big budget global annihilation movie.

Still can't believe how insane this trailer is.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
200.gif

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I was going to watch it but maybe someone can just do a good cut with the alien invasion stuff and none of the character stuff.

SJRB

Gold Member
Ya, same here. Watched a couple of episodes, but everything was moving with a sluggish/leaden pace. Story arcs were introduced and developed, but everything was kinda confusing. Therefore, I think I only liked Sam Neil's performance, but don't wanna know more about this alien invasion story as a whole. I'm moving on.

The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported a 39% approval rating with an average rating of 5.2/10, based on 18 critic reviews. The website's critics consensus reads, "Invasion attempts a slow burn but inadvertently lets its tension completely fizzle out with leaden pacing that will leave viewers impatient for the alien apocalypse to finally arrive." Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned a score of 50 out of 100 based on 13 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
Daniel Fienberg, writing for The Hollywood Reporter, said that "Invasion verges on 10 episodes of setup so pure and unfulfilling that a better title would be Evasion". He called the series, "amusing at first, then annoying, and finally, simply confusing", but praised Sam Neill's performance.

So they made a show called Invasion that takes TEN FUCKING EPISODES to get to the actual invasion?

What the fuck.

I think people forget that the script and show runner is the same guy who made X-Men Dark Phoenix. This show is dogshit, and I'm kinda tired of alien invasion movies having random shapes as antagonist. I miss Battle: Los Angeles, that shit should have had sequels.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm just tired of shows that are 100% about intra- and inter-personal conflict and sappy drama being slapped with a sci-fi theme just to entice nerds to watch it. This show, Y:The Last Man, the Hilary Swank one "Alone", it goes on and on. I get that the emotional core of a story is easily served with some familial issues, but for chrissakes you gotta have some plot movement and action!

Why can't the teams that do fast paced action shit like Banshee, Warrior, Black Sails, Spartacus, Strike Back, get a sci-fi project instead? A sexy version of Mass Effect (well, sexier version I suppose :p would do GANG BUSTERS on a streaming service!

jason10mm

Gold Member
I saw it. It was pretty decent, certainly a LOT more alien shit than Invasion sounds like it has. A fair amount of family drama but mostly of the "I MUST get back to my family AT ALL COSTS because even if 99% of humanity is dead I'm sure they are alive!" variety. I watched up to a very big twist, though now I don't recall if that was the end of S1 or S2. Needless to say it doesn't follow the book at all.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm glad I saw this thread and the RT scores. I was going to give this a watch this weekend but won't waste my time based on those reviews and feedback here.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Apple TV+ shows are so bad in general. I liked Servant and the first season of Ted Lasso but the rest have been subpar. I think the service wii never take off.

They’re modern NBC.

Safe, 0 risk, no boundaries pushed.

They’re however the best sci-fi provider in modern tv so I’m subscribed and watching stuff.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
They’re modern NBC.

Safe, 0 risk, no boundaries pushed.

They’re however the best sci-fi provider in modern tv so I’m subscribed and watching stuff.
Foundation is floundering a bit. For all mankind had a slow s2 but picked up by the end. What else sci-fi they got? See?

I'm still pissed about Altered Carbon, that was the chosen one! Lost in Space is fine, dont get me started about the Katie Sackoff show, Raised by Wolves makes no damned sense, neither did Westaorkd by the end, did like War of the World's, the Gabriel Byrne one anyway, Y the last man is canceled. What else we got? Krypton? CW stuff?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Foundation is floundering a bit. For all mankind had a slow s2 but picked up by the end. What else sci-fi they got? See?

I'm still pissed about Altered Carbon, that was the chosen one! Lost in Space is fine, dont get me started about the Katie Sackoff show, Raised by Wolves makes no damned sense, neither did Westaorkd by the end, did like War of the World's, the Gabriel Byrne one anyway, Y the last man is canceled. What else we got? Krypton? CW stuff?

Invasion.

In total: for all mankind, see, foundation, invasion.

Last edited:
I'm watching ep 4 atm and quite honestly I want the aliens to show up and kill 1/2 of these people asap. Especially the lord of the flies kids in the quarry.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm watching ep 4 atm and quite honestly I want the aliens to show up and kill 1/2 of these people asap. Especially the lord of the flies kids in the quarry.
Now THAT would be ballsy as hell! Imagine a show that spent 3 episodes with the most dickish annoying characters possible, then they ALL DIE and an entirely new crew pop up and carry forth? I believe the old Space:Above and Beyond show was originally intended to have a pretty brisk revolving cast of characters as some die in combat but I don't think they ever achieved that goal. Today I think they could pull it off much better in the streaming environment.

Now THAT would be ballsy as hell! Imagine a show that spent 3 episodes with the most dickish annoying characters possible, then they ALL DIE and an entirely new crew pop up and carry forth? I believe the old Space:Above and Beyond show was originally intended to have a pretty brisk revolving cast of characters as some die in combat but I don't think they ever achieved that goal. Today I think they could pull it off much better in the streaming environment.
Well they have sure nailed the dickish annoying characters thing. The plotline with the sheriff lasted 1 ep presumably to get the viewers in and since then it's all annoying kids and annoying family and a tiny amount of interesting space agency stuff thrown in. Oh and 1 soldier fucking about in afganistan not achiveing very much. Death rays all around please!

dorkimoe

Am I only one not hating it? I mean I get they advertised it as more action. But I’m enjoying most of it. The Japanese side is annoying because I get tired of subtitles when trying to multi task. But I think it’s decent so far.

Aggelos

My friend, a more appropriate title would have Evasion (non Invasion). The aliens always evade from the screen and are elusive, so don't expect any aliens to show up and do some serious shit.
Probably they ain't got lotsa budget to create some big alien spectacle and hence the series focuses more on characters' arcs. And everything is sluggish and leaden, to boot.

My friend, a more appropriate title would have Evasion (non Invasion). The aliens always evade from the screen and are elusive, so don't expect any aliens to show up and do some serious shit.
Probably they ain't got lotsa budget to create some big alien spectacle and hence the series focuses more on characters' arcs. And everything is sluggish and leaden, to boot.
yeah no kidding ep 4 didn't even have a hint of alien in it. I don't mind the slow burn I just want the annoying characters dead! Is that really too much to ask?

Top Bottom