• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel to Release ‘Millions of Arc GPUs’ to Combat Shortages

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

After a plea from PC Gamer, which included an open letter to Intel as well as a tweet asking CEO Pat Gelsinger to "help us," the boss of Intel Graphics, Raja Koduri, has offered some words of encouragement. Specifically, they insist that the company is "working hard" to ensure that people will have access to "millions of Arc GPUs" every year, in a bid to plug a hole in the deficit that has been raging on, and leaving PC gamers struggling to get hold of hardware, for well over twelve months now.

LordOfChaos

I do hope this means many more net new GPUs in the world. It's on TSMC N6, so that's a bit different than N7 and eventually N5 that everyone will be fighting over, understanding how it will impact overall GPU supply is a little complicated (if AMD had the run of N6, would they make GPUs, or other parts etc), but here's hoping we can get three strong contenders.

They really need to fix up their drivers before the dedicated cards launch though. This is Halo Infinite on any Intel GPU right now, had a hard time convincing them it was a driver issue at all, they just kept blaming the OEM (it's on direct Intel DCH drivers), and saying they don't make dedicated GPUs (they call the Xe Max a dedicated chip with its own VRAM)

Hahaha I'll believe it when I see it. Intel have already said that they won't implement any measures to discourage mining, and they really aren't any more capable of pushing out millions and millions of GPUs than Nvidia or AMD. If their cards turn out to be any good at all they're gonna be just as expensive and hard to get as everything else on the market.

Last edited:
Meh. I'm sure another manufacturer will help but is there any reason to think they will be able to supply more GPUs than Nvidia or AMD? And for all we know Ethereum might go PoS before the Intel GPUs are even launched.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Lmao.
They're using TSMC's N7/6 just like AMD.
Where are those extra wafers coming from Raja?

Nothing stopping retailers from getting aggressive with their anti-scalping measures. They won't of course, but it didn't (and still doesn't) have to be like this.

Nothing stopping retailers from getting aggressive with their anti-scalping measures. They won't of course, but it didn't (and still doesn't) have to be like this.
If you were a retailer you would do the same, you are basically asking people not to make money. This isn't potable drinking water after a hurricane.

VAVA Mk2

Larry Reaction GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Sophist

Lmao.
They're using TSMC's N7/6 just like AMD.
Where are those extra wafers coming from Raja?
Latest rumors were saying that Intel secured a bigger order with TSMC than Apple itself; They secured a dedicated line production for 3nm chips starting in 2023.
AMD will rely on Samsung for 3nm.
Apple and Mediatek reduced their orders for 5nm and 4nm chips.

Buggy Loop

I mean, it’s a careful wording, Arc GPUs are more than their flagship, including laptop chipsets.. so yea, 1 million, I hope so 🤷‍♂️

I mean, it’s a careful wording, Arc GPUs are more than their flagship, including laptop chipsets.. so yea, 1 million, I hope so 🤷‍♂️
AMD and Nvidia combined averaged over 10 million dedicated GPUs sold per quarter last year, and that’s not counting laptop, portable and integrated GPUs. A million is little more than a drop in the bucket and would have no effect on the market as it is right now.

Latest rumors were saying that Intel secured a bigger order with TSMC than Apple itself; They secured a dedicated line production for 3nm chips starting in 2023.
AMD will rely on Samsung for 3nm.
Apple and Mediatek reduced their orders for 5nm and 4nm chips.
That's great. We'll see that in 2024 then. Arc is not on N3, so that future capacity is basically meaningless to us now. Unless you're ok with waiting for ~3070 performance in 2 years time.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to a report from Igor's Lab, the first models of the anticipated Intel graphics cards could be out by the start of either May or June this year, which is quite some way off what many were speculating the release date was going to be. At the time of writing, the tech giant has not said anything about any reasons behind the delay, but the report goes on to say that it could be software related, specifically the drivers. Tests seem to yield some issues with the cards, so it's possible that the company may want to work on the drivers more to make sure the hardware is fully ready.

Top Bottom