• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel accuses AMD of throttling when running on battery

SantaC

wahmbulance.jpg

You know Intel is butthurt when they start to breakdown AMD stuff in their labs

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
Intel has a history of using shady Intel-optimized benchmarks claiming "real life performance", and they've been caught red handed several times this year alone doing this bullshit. One of the reasons I'm team red for the foreseeable future, and I even used to like Intel and even have an Intel skateboard they gave me.

KellyNole

I swear I read multiple reviews of the ryzen 4000 series stating that the Intel chip throttled sooner and by a good margin. It was part of the reason those ryzen chips were smoking Intel mobile chips.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

How the tables have turned.
Starting of the x86 era I think, Intel had done some deep "optimization" shit to AMD.

ZywyPL

Banned
Actually, I don't know it what Intel is claiming is the real cause, but whenever looking for a laptop and comparing the offers, reviews, benchmarks etc. it does indeed turn out that a 4C/8T Intel CPU easily keeps up with 8C/16T AMD CPU, sometimes even slightly outperforming it in simple daily tasks, and does all that with longer batter life. Whenever you look at long-term reviews, you know, the ones that take months of actual usage and not just a single day or two, the ones that don't desperately seek for click/views on a hot topic, especially with their clickbait titles, Intel does seem to offer the better overall product, it's not uncommon to hear from those type of reviews to just ignore the on-paper specs and just go with the Intel, because in practice it is just better. Maybe things will change a bit when mobile Zen3 arrives, since AMD improved everything so nice on their 2nd 7nm line of products, but then again, Intel will be introducing Tiger Lake somewhere around that time as well.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Actually, I don't know it what Intel is claiming is the real cause, but whenever looking for a laptop and comparing the offers, reviews, benchmarks etc. it does indeed turn out that a 4C/8T Intel CPU easily keeps up with 8C/16T AMD CPU, sometimes even slightly outperforming it in simple daily tasks, and does all that with longer batter life. Whenever you look at long-term reviews, you know, the ones that take months of actual usage and not just a single day or two, the ones that don't desperately seek for click/views on a hot topic, especially with their clickbait titles, Intel does seem to offer the better overall product, it's not uncommon to hear from those type of reviews to just ignore the on-paper specs and just go with the Intel, because in practice it is just better. Maybe things will change a bit when mobile Zen3 arrives, since AMD improved everything so nice on their 2nd 7nm line of products, but then again, Intel will be introducing Tiger Lake somewhere around that time as well.
What in the flying fuck is this comment, astroturfing?

Emedan

Hey guy, the results are in, AMD is creaming Intel and rightfully so. Hopefully this leads to the end of the complacency Intel has shown the past 15 years.

FireFly

In plugged in benchmarks? Because in the benchmarks I have seen, the previous generation of Intel processors gets absolutely destroyed. (Tiger Lake is a different story, and is already released).

LordOfChaos

If this showed up in lower platform responsiveness on mobile, they might have a point, but impressions are the only time it really seems to come up are boot times. Ryzen is otherwise responsive on battery, so this seems like a pragmatic optimization, don't need to burst up every time you open an Explorer window, and for heavier work it often wins even with this 10 second head start, so I’m not sure “AMD is gaming the benchmarks by giving our CPUs a ten second head start!” is the damning indictment you think it is, Intel.

How relevant is this, given how the 1st generation Apple M1 destroys all of these like there was nothing going on. But also, even if it "throttled", it's still much faster than whatever Intel can throw at them.

Intel and misleading "benchmarks" go hand in hand, it has been like that for generations.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Why is a company like Intel taking shots at a company that’s half it’s size?

Oh I get it, they’re trying to distract from the fact that Apple is now the king of CPUs. Maybe they won’t get asked questions about the M1!

AMD introduced it as a feature for OEMs to utilize. And it doesn't really affect real world performance but still gives you a buttload of battery life?

And Intel has a press conference about it?!

Wow. They're salty AF.

A.Romero

Why is a company like Intel taking shots at a company that’s half it’s size?

Oh I get it, they’re trying to distract from the fact that Apple is now the king of CPUs. Maybe they won’t get asked questions about the M1!

I think it's going to be a long time before Apple becomes a real threat to Intel. It might be a concern if Apple would start developing products for all price tiers but in the meantime I think Intel's worry is AMD. Intel's market share is going down while AMD up.

At least at the moment Apple pretty much seeks a different market.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I think it's going to be a long time before Apple becomes a real threat to Intel. It might be a concern if Apple would start developing products for all price tiers but in the meantime I think Intel's worry is AMD. Intel's market share is going down while AMD up.

At least at the moment Apple pretty much seeks a different market.

Yeah, Intel's direct competitor is AMD. However, we have all been impressed on how Apple has been able to blow AMD and Intel out of the water on what is technically, their first try.

Top Bottom