• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inmate who lived upstanding life after he was mistakenly freed wins release

What's the legal reasoning for concurrent sentences? For example, why have 10 yr and 15 yr concurrent sentences instead of just one 15 yr sentence? Simply to note multiple charges?

Kthulhu

What Gaf told you that? That's only true with Nazi,Pedophiles and Rapist.

You'd be surprised.

Pedophiles need treatment, prison won't make pedophiles not want to molest kids.

Rapists don't need life in prison or to be executed.

Nazis committed war crimes, so that's a whole other ballpark.

Saganator

What's the legal reasoning for concurrent sentences? For example, why have 10 yr and 15 yr concurrent sentences instead of just one 15 yr sentence? Simply to note multiple charges?

In the 90's, all the rage for politicians was to be "tough on crime" which lead to a bunch of people with super long sentences.

The article doesn't mention it, but Gov John Hickenlooper had to sign off on this, I'm really glad I don't live in a state with a heartless Governor like Rick Perry or Scott Walker. There are murmurs of Hickenlooper running for pres in 2020, so keep this in mind.

Kthulhu

PSY・S;237151017 said:
.... what

his sentence or that sentence lol

Every thread where someone commits a crime there is at least one person calling for the criminal to be sentenced to some absurd punishment.

Palmer_v1

I wish it hadn't taken two years, but I'm still glad this was the decision. I hope his family wasn't impacted too badly in the meantime either.

So.. the other guy michael clifton is gonna have to stay in prison for the 98 years? His error got corrected when he came up for appeal,limas didnt cause he didnt appeal. I dunno that dont seem right to me

Tawpgun

So two robberies, not just two "counts" of robbery. They levied a bunch of charges at him for each robbery and ordered them to be served consecutively so he basically got a life sentence for holding up two video stores.

he was charged with "kidnapping" for moving 3 people from the front of the store to the back of the store.

Yeah, need more details on the kidnapping, but that seems like an absurd sentence.

FyreWulff

Yep, it felt at this point they wanted to put him back in because they were more embarassed that he self-rehabilitated than the prison system having anything to do with it.

Also would set a very bad precedent. Someone could just charge up a bunch of people, let them go, then send them back to jail when election time comes around or something.

Ran rp

Every thread where someone commits a crime there is at least one person calling for the criminal to be sentenced to some absurd punishment.

How is that "GAF". Trump supporters sometimes come into threads to post nonsense too. I guess "GAF" is Trumpland now.

Kenstar

Wow, it's like I gotta get dat first post.

you don't understand, Shira is making a WR attempt for speedrunning a thread backfire in < 1 minute, and he's doing it all for charity

Some said it couldn't be done, but when he saw the kids with leukemia in the hospital he knew what he had to do

Kthulhu

PSY&#12539;S;237155835 said:
How is that "GAF". Trump supporters sometimes come into threads to post nonsense too. I guess "GAF" is Trumpland now.

We've had threads where it went on for several pages. There's definitely a sizable minority that think the death plenty is a good thing and rehabilitation doesn't exist.

The "but GAF told me" was mostly a joke.

We've had threads where it went on for several pages. There's definitely a sizable minority that think the death plenty is a good thing and rehabilitation doesn't exist.

The "but GAF told me" was mostly a joke.

I haven't taken a position on the issue either way, but I don't see how the situations are really comparable. Death penalties are typically only on the table for murderers, and the person in question in this thread is far, far from being a murderer.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Believe it or not-that's not the same guy. I thought so too-but it's an incredibly similar story.

TAL profiled Mike Anderson. This story is about Rene Lima-Marin.

I googled it to make sure, and his wiki came up, so I figured it was the same person but it was under "related cases".

They both seem to have been released. Maybe there's hope yet.

The fact that he was going to spend 98 years in prison for his crimes speaks volumes to how broken and fucked up the system is.

But this is a win. We haven't had one of those in a while, feels like.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Awesome to hear

Because our prison system is based on PUNISHMENT AND NOT REHABILITATION.

The fact that a minor criminal could go to jail for petty theft and come out ready to kill MEANS WE FUCKED UP.

This

Glad the case was resolved. He did some time, got out (accidentally but still) and made a good life for himself, family, and society

It's all good.

frontovik

Banned
I'm glad that it worked out for him in the end .. he atoned for the error of his ways and contributed to society.

His sentencing was ridiculous though .. your justice system is absolutely ridiculous, America.

Your institution has no right to mock others, especially Europeans, for having a more humanitarian approach towards the issues of crime and justice.

Had he not been released would he be better off? Would he need better off if he got sent back? Does his chance of success increase or decrease the longer he's in jail? Fundamentally, empirically, the U.S. prison system is one of the worst in the developed world because it thinks punishment is better than rehabilitation. This guy literally did a better job rehabilitating himself than anyone expected - if someone says 'huh... That's weird, he left jail early but he DIDN'T go on a murder spree?' then that highlights such a fundamental failing.

Only pointing out that the logic in his statement made no sense.

He has followed up with "actually I was being sarcastic". So here we are.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
98 years for this is a scandal and utterly stupid. I couldn't believe it when I first read about it at the time. Those responsible for this sentence (and bringing him back) are unsufferable morons.

The judge responsible for that sentence should have been thrown in jail himself. Sending a man to jail for the rest of his life for two robberies is worse than the actual crimes themselves.

It's almost like rehabilitation and reduced recidivism should be the goals of the prison system... not punishment.

&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;

dionysus

Yaldog
I know this varies from state to state, but there should be limits on sentence stacking. Like you can only get 1.5 times the longest crime's sentence. So if your worst crime is armed robbery and that can get you 15 years, you can only be sentenced for 22.5 years total, no matter how many other lesser crimes you did or how many robberies.

Lois_Lane

You'd be surprised.

Pedophiles need treatment, prison won't make pedophiles not want to molest kids.

Rapists don't need life in prison or to be executed.

Nazis committed war crimes, so that's a whole other ballpark.

Nope. I'm okay with life for a pedophile who committed molestation. A pedophile who hasn't committed a crime but is seeking treatment should be helped. Serial rapists should be treated like serial killers in terms of punishment.

The judge responsible for that sentence should have been thrown in jail himself. Sending a man to jail for the rest of his life for two robberies is worse than the actual crimes themselves.

On Jan. 31, 2000, a jury found both Lima-Marin and Clifton guilty on all eight counts. The sentences were to be served consecutively, for a total of 98 years. Offered the chance to say something before the judge and jury, Lima-Marin was too stunned to speak. Judge John Leopold seemed to sympathize: “I am not comfortable, frankly, with the way the case is charged,” he said as the two men stood before him. “But that is a district attorney executive-branch decision that I find I have no control over.”

Story

Nope. I'm okay with life for a pedophile who committed molestation. A pedophile who hasn't committed a crime but is seeking treatment should be helped. Serial rapists should be treated like serial killers in terms of punishment.

Wouldnt that lead to more of them killing their victims though

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Wow, it's like jail doesn't work.

Except weirdly in this case, it appeared it did.

Reminds me of Con Air, where at the end you realize a long running joke throughout the movie is that prison had actually rehabilitated Steve Buscemi's character.

Rene Lima-Marin was serving a 98-year prison term for robbing two video stores in 1998

. . .

The crime he committed is just atrocious. It's not like he did something minor you know. Like aiding in the collapse of an economy. But then again, he didn't delete emails while under a pointless investigation either, so maybe what he did wasn't that bad.

Top Bottom