• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inmate who lived upstanding life after he was mistakenly freed wins release

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
That's crazy.

What really touches me about this story is how Lima found a better way after being released from prison. I find it encouraging that someone can turn their life around after being behind bars for so many years, and become a better person. It's how the prison system is supposed to work. He realized the criminal life wasn't worth it, and went straight. That's really awesome. Also, 98 years for robbing two stores, where no one was killed? I get it was armed robbery, but the guns were actually empty? Did I read that right?

frontovik

Banned
Poor man just can't catch a break. Maybe he should view it as a blessing in disguise?
Either way, I hope things work out better for him.

Yep, once you include the minority multiplier.

It was utterly disgusting that they even returned him to jail, because fuck everything else. I hope he sues and wins big.

Sue for what? He was SUPPOSED to be in prison. Like it or not, the prosecutor that figured it out and everyone else were just doing their jobs.

Good that the judge saw that he was better off not being in though, the guy obviously wanted to turn himself around when he got out and did so. So in the end, it ended correctly.

The Lamp

98 years for two counts of robbery????

And a U.K. judge doesn't want to give a pretty blonde white woman any jail time for stabbing her boyfriend because she's a promising medical student.

Glad the judge here noticed the point: he's a model citizen now and putting him back in jail does nothing but ruin another family and hold him back from his peaceful potential.

theWB27

Sue for what? He was SUPPOSED to be in prison. Like it or not, the prosecutor that figured it out and everyone else were just doing their jobs.

Good that the judge saw that he was better off not being in though, the guy obviously wanted to turn himself around when he got out and did so. So in the end, it ended correctly.

It didn't end correctly... he was targeted by ice. Sure that's no coincidence.

Fuchsdh

What he did was horrible but it was 20 years ago. He already served a decade and was on parole for more than half of another. The 6 years he spent rebuilding his life after a clerical error let him walk speaks for itself.

Who does it serve to stick him back into prison just because some papers got spellchecked that many years later? Not his family. Not society. If prison is there to rehabilitate then it already did its job so yeah...

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the authorities were right to put a convict back in prison as soon as they learned they had mistakenly released them, and then also to agree that at this point he'd demonstrated enough rehabilitation to be released.

Aside from what seems like a disproportionate original sentence, seems like the right course of justice was followed.

Well this just took a shitty turn; he was supposed to be released today but got scooped up by ICE and faces deportation.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/fre...to-custody-by-immigration-officials/440593954

Oof.

theWB27

wow, it's like you can't make that conclusion based on a anecdotal evidence, either for against.

The prison system in America doesn't work. Its broken and heavily targeted towards minorities who recieve disproportionate sentences to their crimes more often than not.

I don't know what world some live in to pretend it does work. Its not to rehabilitate... its a business and people like him are its favorite product to stock.

Memory

Well this just took a shitty turn; he was supposed to be released today but got scooped up by ICE and faces deportation.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/fre...to-custody-by-immigration-officials/440593954

Geez, i was just about to post that i was happy this ended on a good note.

This just highlights the problems with the legal system in terms of both crime and immigration.
I hope someone does the right thing and offers this guy a job when this blows over so he can go back to being a productive member of society.

Its 2017, shit like this should be beneath us by now.

phew!
Colorado's governor on Friday pardoned a Cuban immigrant for an armed robbery he committed 19 years ago in an effort stave off the man's deportation after immigration authorities detained him following a judge's ruling that he should no longer be imprisoned.

The pardon from Gov. John Hickenlooper, a Democrat, was the latest twist in the saga of Rene Lima-Marin, 38. He came to the U.S. as a toddler as part of the 1980 Mariel boat lift from Cuba and had legal residency until it was revoked after his 2000 criminal conviction. Lima-Marin was sentenced to 98 years in prison for the robbery. But he was mistakenly paroled from Colorado state prison in 2008.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...n-to-stave-off-deportation-to-cuba/ar-BBBkuQU

nded

98 years is kind of hosed up. At least someone had the good sense to realize that sticking to that ludicrous sentence would have done more harm than good.

Aselith

What's the legal reasoning for concurrent sentences? For example, why have 10 yr and 15 yr concurrent sentences instead of just one 15 yr sentence? Simply to note multiple charges?

Well this is one of those things where if they didn't have the ability to leverage concurrent sentences, you'd have people outraged that someone with many charges against them "only" got whatever the max sentence for the most severe crime.

So...someone with 30 counts of armed robbery only getting 10 years or whatever. It's a tool to allow them to give more severe sentences to repeat offenders but here it's obviously resulted in some heinous shit esp with the extra charges added on top of the robberies.

The system did him dirty so really glad he finally got out.

I was wondering if he killed someone for the 98-year sentence.

Lima-Marin started his prison term in April 2000, after being found guilty of multiple counts of kidnapping, burglary, aggravated robbery, and -- because a gun was used in the break-ins -- use of a deadly weapon during commission of a crime. No shots were fired and no one was injured in the robberies, per the judge's document.

That is... astounding. I understand how the they got there - by adding each count onto each other back to back - but at no point did anyone think "Huh. That's probably a bit too much for robbery."

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Armed robbery and kidnapping, incredibly serious crimes.

I'm glad he turned around and made the right choices though and especially glad the judge thought the same and released him.

He didn't kidnap anybody in the traditional sense. The basis of the charge was him forcing the employees to the back of the store, which technically counted as they were moved against their will.

Top Bottom