• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indigo Prophecy... what I think

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Well I am still catching up on my Xbox games, and this Indigo Prophecy along with True Crime is what is on my playlist now. This game, so far, is great. Adventure fans need this title. It has the presentation of a movie, while allowing the player to shape the story a bit. A hear the quality of the story drops during the last quarter of the game or so... but where I am at the game is top notch.

Also Character wise Tyler is the man. A black cop from the 70s trapped in the future! With a white woman as his better half! We don't even see these kind of relationships on TV in the US.. Kudos for giving characters from the "real world"; anyways back to playing... +

ram

It has the presentation of a movie

yes and the gameplay of a movie.

i.e. the game is a real letdown to me. even most interactive movies like burn:cycle, urban runner and lost eden are more adventure than this game.

123rl

I really enjoyed the game. It's so different and unique, and it's a lot of fun to just play through and enjoy

I didn't think the story drops at the end. The story builds up to a good conclusion and there's at least two great scenes towards the end :D One of them is the best bit in the game, IMO

Blackace

ram said:
yes and the gameplay of a movie.

i.e. the game is a real letdown to me. even most interactive movies like burn:cycle, urban runner and lost eden are more adventure than this game.

I am digging it..also seems like the engine could be fine tuned to give a more actiony title... but I am liking it, being a little more of a thinking title.....

Also Mr. Kain looks adead ringer for Ichiro.. :lol

Blackace

123rl said:
I really enjoyed the game. It's so different and unique, and it's a lot of fun to just play through and enjoy

I didn't think the story drops at the end. The story builds up to a good conclusion and there's at least two great scenes towards the end :D One of them is the best bit in the game, IMO

I would like to see adventure games go this route more often..

Blackace

elostyle said:
It's a great adventure for the first hour, it's shitty chore most of the time after that :-/

you can say that about almost every adventure game :)

Blackace

Ghost said:
....you'll see.

Maybe I will.. But I am liking the system in this game as well... seems like they could really expand on it in future games.. if the story falls apart then oh well, it will have been fun while it lasted, but this also bodes well for one of my favorite types of game..the adventure game.. Almost all of my favorite types of games are dying out.. Adventure and RPGs...

123rl

I'd love to see more games like this. There's no real enemies, no weapons or powerups, and the whole game is focused on things that most games just ignore altogether

I don't think it became a chore or anything. I enjoyed it so much that I played it pretty much exclusively until I finished it

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
and here i thought tyler was an embarrassing racial caricature. i mean...he's lazy, he welches on debts, funk music starts playing whenever he's around, and he feels better whenever he touches a basketball. :/

Blackace

drohne said:
and here i thought tyler was an embarassing racial caricature. i mean...he's lazy, he welches on debts, funk music starts playing whenever he's around, and he feels better whenever he touches a basketball. :/

Well that is all true and all.. but damn he has a white woman..

Sounds like a black person to me..

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Blackace said:
Maybe I will.. But I am liking the system in this game as well... seems like they could really expand on it in future games.. if the story falls apart then oh well, it will have been fun while it lasted, but this also bodes well for one of my favorite types of game..the adventure game.. Almost all of my favorite types of games are dying out.. Adventure and RPGs...
They drop the system for a bunch of strung together minigames that all have the same annoyingly boring QTE interface seperated by cutscenes. No, actually you have to play the long drawn out cutscenes via the same annoyingly boring QTE interface. And if you fail at the end of one to properly ruin your shoulder buttons you have to start over again.

I mean, you have to watch the same cutscene over and over again until you press the right buttons to pass it. You have essentially seen it the first time through, so "passing" it doesn't gain you anything.

Oh and they also throw in some frustrating stealth sequences. Have to know that I hate stealth games though.

And I really wanted to like this game, but see for yourself. This is unfortunately not an adventure game for the most part of it :(

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Indogo Procephy (what a crappy name!) as you call it, or Fahrenheit as I'd like to call it, is alright. It's entertaining, short and doesn't leave you stunned. It's a 3 outta 5. And Cage can talk all he wants about how the story in games suck, cause the story in Fahrenheit ain't no exception. The characters are so cliché you can almost taste it (Lucas Kane, wtf?) and the story - of course - goes way outta bounds. But still, it's a good game.

Blackace

elostyle said:
They drop the system for a bunch of strung together minigames that all have the same annoyingly boring QTE interface seperated by cutscenes. No, actually you have to play the long drawn out cutscenes via the same annoyingly boring QTE interface. And if you fail at the end of one to properly ruin your shoulder buttons you have to start over again.

I mean, you have to watch the same cutscene over and over again until you press the right buttons to pass it. You have essentially seen it the first time through, so "passing" it doesn't gain you anything.

Oh and they also throw in some frustrating stealth sequences. Have to know that I hate stealth games though.

And I really wanted to like this game, but see for yourself. This is unfortunately not an adventure game for the most part of it :(

well 2 and a half hours in and I like it.. Stealth does suck in games where it doesn't belong.. .. But all the problems outside of the stealth are not a problem to me and I am enjoying.. so I guess our taste will differ on this one so far

drohne said:
and here i thought tyler was an embarrassing racial caricature. i mean...he's lazy, he welches on debts, funk music starts playing whenever he's around, and he feels better whenever he touches a basketball. :/

IAWTP, it's as if the creators of the game had never met a black person before, and relied on blacksploitation films to come up with his character

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I really enjoyed Fahrenheit apart from the ending. I hated doing the trigger events with the Xbox triggers though. I suppose it did convey the feeling of physical exertion but only if you do everything in life with two fingers (no not those two :p).

If you really want to THE sex scene which is incredibly tame then check out the video review on this site.

http://www.studiocook.com/reviews.html

MrDaravon

This game dropped from a solid 9 to a 7 in my book because of three main things. First, the story just completely falls apart the last hour or two. I mean seriously. Secondly, the camera/controls BLOW. Third, and by far the most major one are the two "stealth" sequences the games forces you through. They're horribly, horribly done, to the point where I about stopped playing the game entirely.

If it wasn't for the stealth sequences I'd still give it a 8, but they're just so fucking horrible. Regardless, I really enjoyed everything else about the game, and look forward to buying it when it's not full price.

Blackace

stealth

is there more after you sneak into an airforce base as a kid?

Blackace

elostyle said:
When I had to play as the kid again later I quit, so I don't actually know :)

I felt sorry for the US taxpayers as a 8 year od kid snuck into an armed Airforce base.. :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
elostyle said:
When I had to play as the kid again later I quit, so I don't actually know :)
Damn, talk about "lack of skills". I'll never understand what it is about stealth segments that give people so much trouble. No patience? I dunno...

Coming from someone who almost nominated SOTC as the "worst game of the year", I think we can safely toss that opinion into the trash. :D Sorry elo, it's not hate...it's pity. I feel for you. Not being able to enjoy something like SOTC, and all...

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
dark10x said:
Damn, talk about "lack of skills". I'll never understand what it is about stealth segments that give people so much trouble. No patience? I dunno...

Coming from someone who almost nominated SOTC as the "worst game of the year", I think we can safely toss that opinion into the trash. :D Sorry elo, it's not hate...it's pity. I feel for you. Not being able to enjoy something like SOTC, and all...
I can get very impatient when playing games and you are right I don't like stealth games at all. Every few months I pop in MGS2 to see what the fuzz is about and watch the intro, play for 5 minutes and quit out of boredom - this type of game isn't for me.
Concerning SotC, I also get easily annoyed by bad framerates and stubborn cameras. Not being good at dual analog controls doesn't help me playing SotC either. I still like the atmosphere, the setting and the designs but I hate SotC as a game. At it's core it has such simple gameplay mechanics which would be fine by itself but I can't stand it if technial issues are in the way of actually executing them. More frustration for me yay.

I could kick your ass at warcraft 3 though. (Which has very complicated gameplay mechanics that are made comprehensible by it's perfect interface and execution. I like it that way around ;)

MrDaravon

dark10x said:

The stealth segments were horribly, horribly done. I enjoy stealth games, but these parts were sheer frustration. The camera and controls were horrible, soldiers seemed to spot me for no reason when I wasn't in their view, it was hard to see soldier's viewcones on the "map," and the map didn't turn with you, and it was unbelievably disorienting to have a near-unreadable map almost full screen (you couldn't see it at ALL in the corner), which shows you moving one way when you're holding another direction, while trying to avoid things at the same time. Not too hard to understand really. My girlfriend actually STOPPED playing at the first segment also, I preserved after maybe an hour or so. Easily the worst section of any game I've played this year.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
dark10x said:

Once I got past the fence, it took me a good half hour to get past the guards. I was behind shit, and was seen, but my tiny prepubescent legs could not be seen as I walk behind a truck that's a foot or so off the ground outside of the tires? Shitcock! And then trying to get the fucknut kids out? I KILLED MYSELF BECAUSE I REMEMBERED THE TRAUMA OF MAYBE NOT FINDING MY MORON FRIENDS IN THE PAST!
This game is retarded shit.

MrDaravon

RevenantKioku said:
I KILLED MYSELF BECAUSE I REMEMBERED THE TRAUMA OF MAYBE NOT FINDING MY MORON FRIENDS IN THE PAST!
This game is retarded shit.

:lol :lol

That's what happened to my girlfriend and why she gave up (although she resumed my game after I beat that part IIRC). What sucks is that except for the stealth sequences, and the relatively minor complaints of camera and the ending, it's a great game. Definetely worth at least a rental, provided you can stick with it to past those two parts (the 2nd one was far worse for me personally, YMMV).

Andy787

Banned
Heh, I was going to make a thread for this today too. Just finished it, and man, it starts out so great, and I wanted to love this game, and for a while I did. It's just unfortunate how the latter part leaves a kind of sour taste on all of the good things it had going for it.

I agree with SailorDaravon, for the most part. For the first few hours this game was a solid 9 for me, even with the really spotty control. The game had a great, intelligent narrative going for it; the atmosphere was really good; it seemed to be going for a cool, post-modern vibe, and delving into things games hadn't really explored yet -- and then
fucking goddamned giant hallucinated ghost bugs were invading office buildings, and people started going fucking Matrix shit all up in the game and jesus christ we've got fucking MAYAN RELIGIOUS PROPHETS AND OH DEAR LORD A MOTHERFUCKING DEAD PSYCHIC OLD LADY THAT TURNS INTO A GODDAMNED ALL OMNIPOTENT EVIL BEING OF PURE ENGERGY AND LIGHT AND THE WORLD RESTS IN THE HANDS OF A LITTLE BITCH WHO SAYS SOME SHIT AND THE WORLD EITHER TEH DIES OR TEH LIVES AND HAPPILY EVER AFTER THE HOT DETECTIVE AND DEAD MALE LEAD GO ON WITH THEIR NECROPHILIAC-LADEN SEXCAPADES WOO!!#!!!2312423edscxccv. I'm gonna go take a shit.

Starfire

I loved it, but by the last 2 or 3 hours, I was sick of the quick response events that compose the bulk of the gameplay. At first they were a bit challenging, then after about an hour, I figured out what I was doing and there was narry a challenging moment the rest of the game
other than wrestling with the controls in the sequence where you had to push the wheelchair around
. And the story.....I think it could have still lead to the same conclusion and it wouldn't have been an unexpected plot twist, they just needed to take a little more time to flesh out the ending, it felt really, really rushed, and some of the plot threads (the kind in most anime or sci-fi movies that seem unrelated but are usually cleared up toward the end), were never really fully dissolved
oracles, aliens, cyborgs, and the whole Indigo child thing, I think they left out ninjas, giant robots, and the kitchen sink .

Great game, and I even liked the latter half of the story, but I think such a bold plot redirection could've used a bit more of an explanation, it just didn't feel justified as it was.

Sjoerd

Although the end was... You know...

We need more of these 'Shenmue' kind of games. I'm hoping Omnikron 2 turns out to be great!

Loops

I finished it in around 6h30 which is a bit slow, but the last 2 hours seemed quite painfull to me, as you mainly had to play a bad SIMON game...

The things i liked :
- Atmosphere and music
- New gameplay system with right analog stick
- Storyline and acting (i heard it in french, Tyler had the dubbed voice of Will Smith)

The things i didn't like :
- Pathetic gameplay (change in the camera, character stuck in the furnitures etc)
- Horrible graphics (i quite don't care, but please stop to show titties and pussies with this kind of 3d... )
- Play SIMON all over the time and increasingly as the game goes on
- The kid games (there's two, but it pissed me off, especially the first one)

That makes a so so game to me...

Top Bottom