• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inaba: Platinum Games Has Interest in Self-Publishing Bayonetta Game Series

Porcile

Correction

Sega owns the Bayonetta IP/Franchise as a whole. Nintendo and Sega co-owns the copyright for Bayonetta 2 and Bayonetta 3. If Nintendo wanted to make Bayonetta 4, they would have to seek Sega's permission. If Sega wanted to make Bayonetta 4, they can make it without the permission of Nintendo since Sega wholly own the IP.

I'm just translating what he said, dude. Not like he's a head of Platinum games or anything.

例えば「ベヨネッタ」シリーズの場合、IP権利は任天堂とセガが半分ずつ所有しており

For example, in the case of the Bayonetta series the IP rights are half owned by each Nintendo and Sega.

Oh God is platinum really that dense. The game flopped in 3 generations ps3/wiiu/switch try to move on and make something appealing that can actually save this dumb company.
But it didn't fail because it's a bad game. It failed due to several reasons and one of those reasons was the time frame it launched.
If a new bayonetta game is launched today, with proper marketing and available for all major consoles and pc, it would sell pretty well.

But it didn't fail because it's a bad game. It failed due to several reasons and one of those reasons was the time frame it launched.
If a new bayonetta game is launched today, with proper marketing and available for all major consoles and pc, it would sell pretty well.

What do you mean the time frame it launched. DMC4 sold 3 milllion. ninja gaiden 2 was only on 360 sold a million in 3 months. those came out the around the same time and bayonetta had a much higher metracritic then both. the problem was the main character who's main power was getting naked and hair attacks lmao. The art style in general was just shit.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I wish Bayonetta wasn't P*'s flagship franchise. Up to this point, one of the studio's strengths is that they don't stick with any one IP for more than one game. I'm not griping about the game's quality, it just seems like half of all P* conversations and press-releases and leaks are about Bayonetta.

/actual threadwhining see staff post

What do you mean the time frame it launched. DMC4 sold 3 milllion. ninja gaiden 2 was only on 360 sold a million in 3 months. those came out the around the same time and bayonetta had a much higher metracritic then both. the problem was the main character who's main power was getting naked and hair attacks lmao. The art style in general was just shit.
The biggest problem is the lack of marketing, imo.

Neff

Sega owns the Bayonetta IP/Franchise as a whole. Nintendo and Sega co-owns the copyright for Bayonetta 2 and Bayonetta 3. If Nintendo wanted to make Bayonetta 4, they would have to seek Sega's permission. If Sega wanted to make Bayonetta 4, they can make it without the permission of Nintendo since Sega wholly own the IP.

There's always the chance that Nintendo will have a first refusal right on Bayo 4, which is common for licensed franchises. If that were the case, then Sega would have to go to Nintendo first to see if they're interested in funding another one.

The biggest problem is the lack of marketing, imo.

Bayo 1 had strong marketing. Sega thought they were getting the next Devil May Cry and splashed out.

iebc4R.jpg

lvKeDm.jpg

w52T8W.jpg

It wasn't a total waste, Bayo 1 was a million seller on PS3 IIRC, despite it being a terrible port. The reason it never took off like DMC did was because DMC had the juggernaut overnight success of PS2 behind it, and because DMC was a relatively novel experience for its time, which Bayo was not.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Bayo 1 had strong marketing. Sega thought they were getting the next Devil May Cry and splashed out.

Agreed. I think all the money they spent on it and didn't see a huge return is what made them very lackadaisical about doing a sequel and open to even having Nintendo just publish, fund etc.

M1chl M1chl I think its Nier Automata. Reason they may not do a MGR sequel is they don't own the IP, its not their say.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Agreed. I think all the money they spent on it and didn't see a huge return is what made them very lackadaisical about doing a sequel and open to even having Nintendo just publish, fund etc.

M1chl M1chl I think its Nier Automata. Reason they may not do a MGR sequel is they don't own the IP, its not their say.
Yeah well, but it's not like Konami cares, would be nice. They don't have to buy right to Metal Gear Solid, just Rising, I don't think it would be that expensive : )

PJX

I'm just translating what he said, dude. Not like he's a head of Platinum games or anything.

例えば「ベヨネッタ」シリーズの場合、IP権利は任天堂とセガが半分ずつ所有しており

For example, in the case of the Bayonetta series the IP rights are half owned by each Nintendo and Sega.
I'm not having a go at you or anything. I'm just correcting you because he was misquoted. Nintendo has no ownership over the Bayonetta IP. What they do co-own is the copyrights to Bayonetta 2 and 3 which isn't the same as owning the IP/franchise.

Last edited:
There's always the chance that Nintendo will have a first refusal right on Bayo 4, which is common for licensed franchises. If that were the case, then Sega would have to go to Nintendo first to see if they're interested in funding another one.

iebc4R.jpg

lvKeDm.jpg

w52T8W.jpg

It wasn't a total waste, Bayo 1 was a million seller on PS3 IIRC, despite it being a terrible port. The reason it never took off like DMC did was because DMC had the juggernaut overnight success of PS2 behind it, and because DMC was a relatively novel experience for its time, which Bayo was not.

It shipped 1 million combined on 360/ps3 it was in the bargain bin within a month. Even neogaf hated the character design when it was first revealed. the game is just no appealing and has had multiple chances to be successful and has a very high metacritic to help it sale.

Enjay

Banned
Lately it feels like Tencent is letting platinumgames know that creativity is fine and all but ultimately they are in the business of making money.

Yagami_Sama

Platinum is very talkative recently. The kickstarterm, bring back Scalebound, now this. They are really trying to "go alone", and do the stuff they want, not what other companies are paying than to do.

I understand, that every company wants their product to sell a lot, and bringing it to other as much platforms as possible, open new ports and business opportunities.

Maybe Tencent money are changing the way they see things.

Imagine if they drop Nintendo on Bayonetta 3 ? That would be shocking. And could justify the lack of news of the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom