• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impressive technologies used for one game and then abandoned

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I started replaying F.E.A.R. yesterday on my Deck and just had to record a video :

I'm stunned.
In the game, water has no important role at all, and yet F.E.A.R. manages to present water in a more interactive and interesting way than most of today's games.

And let's face it, the game is from 2005, so it's almost 17 years old.

SjCG2xY.jpg

By the way, it runs on just under 8watts on the Deck, absolutely amazing when I consider that my 600watt PC was really struggling back then.

Water geometry, parallax maps holes, dust.
Fear is amazing and it refuses to age!

I've wondered about something like Google's new Soli radar.. doesn't need a camera, it's radar tech you could embed in the console, or it's an easy USB/wireless accessory, unobtrusive, fewer privacy issues. Easy for developers to apply it in subtle ways and come up with creative applications..
Looks like it could be used for plenty of add on tech too -
  • Interactive board games with physical pieces e.g. chess or D&D etc.
  • Basic biometrics
  • Auto pause a game (liveness check)
  • Reaction style games
  • Body language intention
  • Non verbal/controller based interaction e.g. kiosk spin a 3D object or gestures with your phone/game
Though it will likely just be used to display adverts when people walk by and actually give attention to a screen etc. I still think something with mixed technology is far better e.g. Kinect.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Here's one that probably made sense to be abandoned (although they also remixed it a bit when it came out later on PS3.) Hydrophobia by short-lived studio Dark Energy Digital was a horror action game built all around a dynamic fluid simulation engine called HydroEngine. You are aboard a futuristic luxury liner which is being sunken by terrorists in the future, and fight your way out. The water simulation effects were generally extraordinary in their time and took 3 years to develop the technology (though many of its more basic "tricks" exist in other more famously wet games like Bioshock and Uncharted 3) but they didn't add up to a great game.

Last edited:

abcdrstuv

Banned
Looks like it could be used for plenty of add on tech too -
  • Interactive board games with physical pieces e.g. chess or D&D etc.
  • Basic biometrics
  • Auto pause a game (liveness check)
  • Reaction style games
  • Body language intention
  • Non verbal/controller based interaction e.g. kiosk spin a 3D object or gestures with your phone/game
Though it will likely just be used to display adverts when people walk by and actually give attention to a screen etc. I still think something with mixed technology is far better e.g. Kinect.
Actually sounds like it would be great as a data source and control interface for AR/VR..? Put it in a headset.. But I’m still disappointed things like Leap Motion haven’t taken off for desktop computing..

Top Bottom