• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Top 10 PlayStation Games (PS1) of All Time

SSfox

Good list, i would remove Tony Hawk and put Soul Edge instead, but overall solid list, Crash Bandicoot one the rare plateformer that i ever loved, Vagrant Story = legend, the legendary Tekken games best fighting game franchise and the the legendary way ahead of its time Tekken 3, RE games that were outstanding, Tomb Raider ( loved them all tho 2 was favorite) , of course FF7 is a must in the list, GT the beginning of the best car franchise, and of course MGS1 my Number 1 game of all time.

I probably forgot to mention others, i mean so many legendary games on PS1 hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Kuranghi

Pleasantly surprised that they correctly chose Crash 2 over 3. The rest of the list could have been put together by an AI at this point.

I'm torn, I like them both for different things, although I get that if you don't like the vehicle levels then 3 could be annoying for you and drag the whole game down. I love the items though, speeding through the levels with the boots for time trials is super fun. Coloured gems in 2 were always this great memory I had of them being ultra secrets but on replay 5 years ago I found them kinda annoying, especially the red one.

I can get behind what you are saying though, I'm easy.

What is the point of this? That gen has been over for nearly 20 years. Its not like the list has changed since the last one they did because of a new game being released. We all know what the best ps1 games are. But what can you expect, its slow news right now.

Well, all those games are great. I don't know if I could narrow down the ten best PS1 games. That game library was very impressive, from what I remember anyway.

FF7 and MGS would have to be in there, for sure.

Orta

Banned
From that list I got most out of Tomb Raider and RE2. Definite highlights of that gen for me and am glad to see them there. Tomb Raider especially. It really was an incredible experience, particularly coming from tired old end of the line content on the 16-bit machines.

What I learned from this thread and some previous top10 ones on this forum:
- if a list contains the games that ARE best, that list is "safe list", "generic" ect.
- if a list has some surprise inclusions then follows "WHERE'S XXX GAME"?!?!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm torn, I like them both for different things, although I get that if you don't like the vehicle levels then 3 could be annoying for you and drag the whole game down. I love the items though, speeding through the levels with the boots for time trials is super fun. Coloured gems in 2 were always this great memory I had of them being ultra secrets but on replay 5 years ago I found them kinda annoying, especially the red one.

I can get behind what you are saying though, I'm easy.

I love 3 as well, but something like 60% of the levels are gimmick levels - vehicles, underwater etc. They're (mostly) good, there's just way too many. 2 struck an amazing balance of those, it has a fantastic difficulty curve in the way that all the optional gem challenges are the really hard parts, it opened up Crash's tool kit with the skid and skid jump... yeah, I love it. Love them all but 2 is a really special game.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Guys, I'm a insider of IGN. They will do a top 10 PS2 games next, it's going to have Metal Gear Solid 3, Devil May Cry 3, God of War, Onimusha, Resident Evil 4 and others.

But it's our secret, ok?!

Bye

Make your own boys!

1. MGS
  2. Heart of Darkness
  3. Syphon Filter
  4. Tomb Raider 2
  5. RE2
  6. Vagrant Story
  7. R4
  8. Oddworld Abe's Odyssey
  9. SotN
  10. The Unholy War
Heart of Darkness? O_O

vztc6Bw.gif

stranno

Footage seems to be stolen from World of Longplays. Good job IGN, keep it professional, as always.

:messenger_blowing_kiss:

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
MGS was incredible. No doubt about it. Silent Hill would have been my top choice. It's impossible to describe how terrifying that game was when it released. The sound effects were next level and, for me, it's one of the most immersive games of that generation.

GametimeUK

So many people are salty that IGN even made a list in the first place nevermind the actual games on it and their ordering. Give it a rest, guys. It's not that deep.

TexMex

Heart of Darkness? O_O

vztc6Bw.gif

People love or hate it, but I loved it. I remember EGM had a reviewer give it a 2, and another an 8. But it really scratched that Out of this World itch for me, and I thought the visuals, animation and sound were so incredible at the time.

Ridge Racer Type 4 left out in the cold :messenger_pensive:

On my list! Love it so much. I didn’t care about racing games at all, and the clerk at Funcoland did the hard sell on me and I bought it on a whim. So glad I did. No racing game has come close since then for me.

Alphagear

My Top Ten

FINAL FANTASY VII
METAL GEAR SOLID
RESIDENT EVIL 2
SILENT HILL
GRAN TURISMO
CHRONO CROSS
CASTLEVANIA SOTN
XENOGEARS
VAGRANT STORY
PARASITE EVE

Bardiche

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment is an underrated gem and is hands down the best PSX game in existence.
I was hoping to see Xenogears, Chrono Cross, or Final Fantasy VIII on the list but I'm not surprised since the list is fairly safe.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Metal Gear
Final Fantasy
Crash
Spyro
Resident Evil
Gran Turismo
Tekken
Odd world
Ape Escape
Spider-Man

Some of my favorites that aren't on the list:
Parappa the Rapper
Wipeout XL
Soul Edge
Tobal 2
Einhander
Bushido Blade 2
FF Tactics
Threads of Fate
Chrono Cross
Xenogears
Poy Poy
Devil Dice
Puzzle Fighter
Intelligence Qube
R4 Ridge Racer Type 4
Colony Wars
Ape Escape
Crash Team Racing
Mortal Kombat Trilogy(way better than N64 version bc it had more chracters including all 4 bosses, a male chamaleon, and one button finishers)
Also, for that generation, NFL Gameday was better than Madden and the rest every year
Oddworld Abe's Oddessey
Pandemonium
Final Doom

Last edited:

Dthomp

Any chance we could get OP updated with the list in text form, cause I'm not wasting time watching an IGN video but would love to take part in laughing at their terrible decisions :)

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Any chance we could get OP updated with the list in text form, cause I'm not wasting time watching an IGN video but would love to take part in laughing at their terrible decisions :)
OP isn't even human don't bully.

Top Bottom