• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"If you have 29 credit cards you're probably a millenial."

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-you-have-29-credit-cards-youre-probably-a-millennial-1490972634

This article is insane. There is no way this won't be disastrous for most.

EDIT: Pasted parts of the article down below.

When Kyle Allen gets home from work each day, he heads straight for his mailbox. “It does give me a rush,” says the 29-year-old financial analyst from Orlando.

What he hopes to find is yet another offer for a new credit card. He and his wife together have 40 of them and have earned, so far, 1,492,500 rewards points. They have used the points in an almost-completed quest to visit each destination named in the chorus of the Beach Boys song “Kokomo.”

J.P. Morgan Chase & Co.’s Chase Sapphire Reserve card until recently offered a sign-up sweetener of 100,000 rewards points, potentially worth thousands of dollars when redeemed for travel, as many collectors have done. The card, launched last August, proved so popular that 10 days later the bank ran out of the metal required to make them.

Citigroup Inc., American Express Co. and other rivals have enhanced their own cards to compete.

In an effort to get a Chase Sapphire Reserve card, Mary Xu made a card costume. PHOTO: MARY XU
“I’m kind of a credit-card—maybe junkie is not the right word—but I’m a credit-card enthusiast,” says Mary Xu, a San Francisco cybersecurity manager. In pursuit of points, she spends more than $1,000 a year on annual fees for high-end cards.

She was so disappointed to be rejected for the Sapphire Reserve last October that she spent hours constructing a costume of the card out of cardboard. She sent the bank a photo of herself dressed up, hoping for a second chance.

Washington, D.C., communications director Daniel Seaton, 31, signed up for a new card not available at home when he was on business in New York in February. It was his 29th new card in the past 18 months. “I’ve definitely kind of scolded friends for using a debit card,” he says.

Ike Lee, 25, a student at Yale School of Medicine, has 16 cards and no income. When friends told him they needed furniture for a new apartment, he hatched a plan to pay for it himself with a card that offers 5% cash back on furniture purchases. He intends to give them a 3% discount when they reimburse him, netting himself a bit of cash.

When Levi Broderick, 32, and a friend recently moved to split the bill at a restaurant, both slapped down the same rewards-heavy card. “He didn’t say anything to me and I didn’t say anything to him, but you could tell by the milling glances that we knew something was going on,” says Mr. Broderick, a Seattle software engineer.

Benjamin Gowdy of Gorham, Maine, a 34-year-old real-estate investor, pitched his girlfriend on a four-hour road trip to nab a Chase sign-up bonus that required an in-person application. “I don’t really feel like blowing up a whole Saturday to sit in a bank,” he recalls her responding.

Because he doesn’t spend enough to qualify for all the rewards, he heads to a local mall and uses his credit cards to buy cash-equivalent prepaid cards, earning points in the process. Then he uses the prepaid cards to pay off his credit-card balances. He recently had to wait a long time to check out because someone ahead of him in line was doing the same, he says.

Syriel

https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-you-have-29-credit-cards-youre-probably-a-millennial-1490972634

This article is insane. There is no way this won't be disastrous for most.

If you know what you're doing, the rewards can be great.

It's stupid to spend money you don't have just to get rewards, but if you don't have to spend $$$, nothing wrong with having a lot of cards.

For those in the US, you'd be stupid to not maximize the benefits from cards.

I have only one. How do you guys balance more than 10?

Have one or two as "daily drivers." Everything else is specific use, or just sits in a drawer until it can offer a benefit.

I have 1, don't keep it on me and use it like once a year and keep it paid off. I used/use it only to build and keep my credit score high.

njean777

I have 5 and trying to pay them off to move out of my parents, tired of this shit. It embarrassing. 28 and living with my parents, fuck this shit.

Jedi2016

Strictly speaking, I have two, one of which maintains a zero balance 95% of the time, and the other is paid up every month.

MIMIC

Banned
Can't read the article, but....29? Like....how??? Like, are they just opening them and never using them?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I have a debit card for my checking account

amazon rewards cards linked with my checking out, same bank
Discover card that's linked with amazon for bonus cash

That's it
Going any higher is crazy

As you can see amazon bonus points are what I'm mostly interested in

I don't use credit card, I have taken quite my fair share of loans through other means and I'm doing fine financially speaking. I'm a millennial.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I have two, and one is a store card I used for a discount + interest free period that I haven't touched since I paid it off. So that's probably going to be closed for inactivity soon.

I'm not good at this whole millennial thing.

x3sphere

If you know what you're doing, the rewards can be great.

It's stupid to spend money you don't have just to get rewards, but if you don't have to spend $$$, nothing wrong with having a lot of cards.

For those in the US, you'd be stupid to not maximize the benefits from cards.

Have one or two as "daily drivers." Everything else is specific use, or just sits in a drawer until it can offer a benefit.
yeah, that's what I do. Always pay off my balance so the rewards are free money basically.

29 cards is crazy though... I have 5 and there seems to be little value in going beyond that. Some cards have rotating reward categories and stuff but at 29 cards there would be serious overlap.

Twio

Lmfao I have three American Express charge cards and I'm a sophomore in college

I have excellent credit but the number of cards I have (and the annual fees) are extra as fuck

2. One for nonessential stuff and one for necessities, rather have that than trying to sort it out at the end of the month.

Syriel

yeah, that's what I do. Always pay off my balance so the rewards are free money basically.

29 cards is crazy though... I have 5 and there seems to be little value in going beyond that. Some cards have rotating reward categories and stuff but at 29 cards there would be serious overlap.

Sometimes there is overlap, but in that case you just keep the card as the higher credit line benefits your score.

But there are also times where the best rewards are had by combining cards.

For example, Chase Freedom 5% categories + Chase Sapphire Reserve redemption bonus.

I'm 30. I don't have one, I pay for everything in cash...

Congrats. You are overpaying for everything.

Got 3, 2 for general use that I use as I used my debit card, I pay the balance as soon as it posts, and my US Bank Cash+ for Amazon, since it gives 5% cashback on 2 categories (Amazon is listed ad book store) that you choose.

I never have and will not use my credit cards to pay for stuff that I can't pay off immediately

By having 3 cards and never having a balance to pay, my credit went from fair to excellent in 1 year

Ogodei

I was completely unaware that having more than 2 was a thing. I have one and just use it as a cash substitute.

I have 2 - 1 I never used until I bought a house and it has saved my life on so many occasions. The other is one specifically for my dog for emergencies and vet visits. That's it. I have other bills and could not afford any more cards. I'm 32.

"You won't believe what millenials are up to these days! Here's something you can talk to your grandkids about!!"

Clickbait garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom