• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could own one Arcade Machine?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
If pinball counts:
PeKPU2V.jpg

If not, then this:
bgdOa5Q.jpg

Hard Drivin'
I have many memories of my grandmother giving me a quarter to play the game on the way out of the Food Lion if I behaved while she was shopping.

158-1480901694-7avD.jpg

race_drivin_screenshot.png

This thread is torturing me with all the cool possibilites XD

Neo Geo MVS and MVC 2 and Time Crisis 2 and After Burner Climax are all interesting choices...yet if I were to stick with just one...hmm...probably Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for the nostalgia and great memories. I was beating my friend so good in MVC2 that he must've put in 8 tokens or so in order to try to get his revenge...good times

Divus

It would have to be first Killer Instinct. I poured more quarters into that than any other cabinet by a decent margin. I actually bought one once and had it stolen from me before I got back with a truck to pick it up.

Second would probably be Marvel vs Capcom 2.

SA91387

Neo Member
Always wanted one of these the xbox and ps2 versions did not do this game any justice, also MVC 2 would be great as well

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I occasionally google for this but can never find anything given how many general terms are used for all kinds of things the search brings up. Does anyone remember a relatively old coin-operated arcade flight "sim" game where, I believe but could be remembering wrong, the first or easiest level asked you to land on water in a lake or something with a small (yellow?) plane, then there was a harder jet fighter landing on a carrier level and, I think, the hardest was a large airline plane landing at night (maybe rain too) with having to first do a turn to get in position? Back then I thought it was cool and enjoyed it but perhaps it wasn't. It was proper 3D, not some top down thing, and the cabinet was a little sit down thing with joystick and throttle controls, I think. It's not my pick, I already said my pick, but maybe some people here have seen it so that's why I ask.

Last edited:
I occasionally google for this but can never find anything given how many general terms are used for all kinds of things. Does anyone remember a relatively old coin-operated flight "sim" game where, I believe but could be remembering wrong, the first or easiest level was to land on water in a lake or something with a small (yellow?) plane, then there was a harder jet fighter landing on a carrier and, I think, the hardest was a large airline plane landing at night (maybe rain too) with having to first do a U turn to get in position? Back then I thought it was cool and enjoyed it but perhaps it wasn't. It was proper 3D, not some top down thing, and the cabinet was a little sit down thing with joystick and throttle controls, I think. It's not my pick, I already said my pick, but maybe some people here have seen it so that's why I ask.
Guessing you either played Landing High Japan (timestamped below) or Top Landing, both by Taito.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Guessing you either played Landing High Japan (timestamped below) or Top Landing, both by Taito.

It doesn't seem to be either of those but in the related videos I saw this.

It resembles what I played a lot more closely, I think the control tutorial is basically identical with the chunky 3d models of the stick and throttle, but watching playthroughs I don't see any of the 3 levels I recall playing through so perhaps they had many more of these done. Wiki doesn't help...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Going old school games and variety. One of these kinds of cabinets.

The Game Time 1000-1 is an amazing upright multi-game arcade machine which plays a whopping 1000 top arcade games including many classics spanning the ages. This machine is packed full of top games to provide great enjoyment whether at home, in a games room or at a venue.

black_arcade_machine.png

Sega coin ops come to mind. After Burner II would be at the top of the list, followed by Thunder Blade.

1181241628112.jpg

The fucking imagination and creativity Sega had back in the 80s... to experience that era...

Little known fact. If you unplug and plug the After Burner II cabinet, it would generate about 20 seconds of diagnostics, including testing the flight stick out. Cheap, mindless fun when we ran out of tokens back in those days.
Hey I was here to post that!

molasar

Banned

The Game Time 1000-1 is an amazing upright multi-game arcade machine which plays a whopping 1000 top arcade games including many classics spanning the ages. This machine is packed full of top games to provide great enjoyment whether at home, in a games room or at a venue.

black_arcade_machine.png
Are any games on it even legal? If not then my PC is a better arcade machine.

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus

black_arcade_machine.png

While I get what you mean in theory it doesn't have any soul (if that makes sense).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Are any games on it even legal? If no, my PC is a better arcade machine.
Likely not.

The only ones that are legit are the ones with 40 or 50 games from cabinets that says Atari or Taito greatest hits with actual corporate artwork.

The 1000 game machines are awesome, but the one key problem with all of them (I've played some) is sorting. None of them seem to put the games in proper chronological order A - Z. Some game lists are random. Some are kind of in order. It's like the UI doesn't have a sort function (or maybe they do but the shop doesn't sort it in a hidden interface). And most don't have genre filters.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m sorta shocked by my answer, but I played it a lot. I took my N64 memory card to the arcade just so I could see if it would work with it.

NFL Blitz 99
Blitz-99-arcade-game-cabinet.jpg

The lights, sounds, and easy to play game mechanics. I’m not even into football, but the cabinet is awesome.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Another fav. Looking back, repetitive as fuck, but awesome soundtrack (1 looping tune), and surprisingly hard later on.

When I got good at the game, I could roll over Earth consistently, but the second wave of planets was tough as shit.

On a similar note, Time Pilot was another great game. Which I say is even harder than Gyruss. Time Pilot's game mechanic was very deceiving as your ship actually moved super slow and enemy bullets seemed to track you. The clouds whizzing by made it look like you were going fast, but you weren't.

picture_185a-gyruss-arcade-cabinet.jpg

Last edited:

Genx3

I'll take that Neo Geo with 8 games on it. Samurai Showdown, King of Fighters and Magician Lord will be 3 of them though.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'll take the stand-up/lean back version of Crazy Taxi High Roller.
9495e40e84a25225a2af3e02a56207a4.jpg
Its been ages since I’ve seen a Crazy Taxi machine. I think the last time was early 00’s at a Buffalo Wild Wings. Crusin World or Off Road Challenge were so common at arcades and restaurants

1972_0.jpg

Last edited:

K1Expwy

789_cycraft.jpg

One day, when I have the money and space for it

McCheese McCheese , Hyper Street Fighter II X Anniversary Edition from 2003 is the final SF2 (and CPS2) game released in arcades, and might be easier to buy than Grandmaster Edition

Last edited:

backloggamer

Neo Member
It's weird. Thinking about how long ago the arcades were for me, I didn't think I'd be able to come up with a single machine. Yet, when I sat and thought about arcade machines that left an impression on me and came to mind without much thought...
  1. Mortal Kombat (I'll never forget having my head ripped off as a 9 year old knowing jack shit about the game)
  2. Street Fighter 2 (it gave me a love for fighting games, though certainly not enough to git good at any of them)
  3. Time Crisis (that stupid pedal just elevated the whole genre to my little mind)
  4. Dragon's Lair (just beautiful at the time)
  5. Daytona (so much time with friends, accessible yet challenging)
  6. Mad Dog McCree (I doubt this would hold up at all, yet...)
However, considering family, it having to take up space and not having to explain too much to the spouse...

It'd be either Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time or The Simpsons arcade machine. Something everyone could get in to, that'd tickle my nostalgia right and I think would hold up fairly well.

TindalosPup

I saw this thread earlier and decided to think on it for a bit. I like a lot of arcade games, some of my earliest memories are playing Namco Museum Vol. 1 on the PS and going to arcades with my older brother who always made fun of how trash 5 year old me was at fighting games

But then this episode of Seinfeld came on

I want this Frogger, I'd even make GLC the top score

wondermega

Moving into a house with a garage shortly, so yes - at 45 years of age, I can finally fulfill my destiny as That Kind of Nerd and have enough space to get my very own legit arcade machine. And also yes, I will likely only get a couple at most, so this thread is a very real issue for me to grapple with. WHAT MACHINE? I still love going to the local barcade-type places here in SoCal, and my #1 go-to is still Ms Pacman, I still getthat much enjoyment out of it after all of these years. But as much as I enjoy it, I can't say that that game is one I'd want to know I had on hand that I could chill out and just play anytime. That distinction is harder to consider. An amazing-looking cabinet (with decent, but unspectacular gameplay) like Tron? A weird, beautiful vector game like Asteroids or Tempest? Something my girlfriend would enjoy, like Centipede? A hard-as-balls game with a flight yoke which is forever burned into my brain as being eccentric in so many ways, like Zaxxon? The guy up there who posted Rampart had the right idea... Smash TV? Robotron? GahhhHHhHHhh

Last edited:
Top Bottom