• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i will skip 360 for PS3. but i want to buy either PSP or DS now. which one to go for

llTll

Banned
I want to buy one of those 2 machines. what to get? PSP or DS?

with all honestly i am more leaning to PSP because the technology behind the system is amazing. but then again games matter as well. i know PSP has good games. so does DS. but which one to go for. ?

i like games based on populer animations, bleach, dragon ball, etc.
i like Metal Gear Soild.
i like winning eleven, Final fantasy.
i like Ridge Racer, Tekken, VF, Devil may cry, umm what else?

these kind of games appeal to me [ its the reason i am waiting for PS3 and skip 360 for the time being since japanese PS3 is soon and i am going to import it. not because 360 sucks or anything, i know its great mahcine and at one point i was planing to buy it ]

so please. i would like to know honestly which system out of those to get. what upcoming games coming for both systems.

another questions. what are the sales figures for both portables. ? not that it matters but if one system isnt selling well then chances of less games in the coming future.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
itsatrap.jpg

seriously though judging by what you like, you should go with the PSP

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If those are the types of games that appeal to you, the PSP is THE choice. No doubt about it. You say the technology interests you as well. The PSP offers the types of games you say interest you AND you can get that technology buzz. :p

The DS is great too, but I've found the games to be radically different (which is why they co-exist so well). Have you looked at that library to see what might interest you?

Wollan

llTll said:
i like Metal Gear Soild.

The answer is obvious.
But you should get em all.

Error

llTll said:
work is boring. and i cant live with my game boy advance anymore lol
too bad the GBA has some good games coming for it.

Tales of Phantasia
FF IV, V, IV
Mother 3

llTll

Banned
Error2k4 said:
too bad the GBA has some good games coming for it.

Tales of Phantasia
FF IV, V, IV
Mother 3

i am not gona sell it. when good games come i will buy them. i like final fantasy.

i have been hearing about mother 3 since Ultra 64 and yet i have no clue what is it lol

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
llTll said:
please either reply something smart or shut the hell up. i am not looking for stupid jokes
:lol

what did you expect?

BigBoss said:
Skip the PSP and DS, get an Xbox 360 and PS3 instead, say no to handhelds.
shut up you

Error

llTll said:
i am not gona sell it. when good games come i will buy them. i like final fantasy.

i have been hearing about mother 3 since Ultra 64 and yet i have no clue what is it lol
Mother is known here in the states as Earthbound and if it does come here. you HAVE to buy it on principle alone :p seriously though Mother rocks.

llTll said:

sell it and buy a DS, now you can play DS games and your GBA games that you like without carrying 2 handhelds to work.. that's how I do it, I take Metrois Zero Mission/ WarioWare + the current DS game that I'm playing atm. I don't take any extra games with me

Ironclad

This thread can't end well.

From your tastes, it seems like the PSP would be the right way to go. Really though, you should look at the games on the system and see what interests you. Looking at the system itself and deciding could lead you astray.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
llTll said:
i like Metal Gear Soild.

these kind of games appeal to me [ its the reason i am waiting for PS3 and skip 360 for the time being since japanese PS3 is soon and i am going to import it. not because 360 sucks or anything, i know its great mahcine and at one point i was planing to buy it ]

so please. i would like to know honestly which system out of those to get. what upcoming games coming for both systems.

another questions. what are the sales figures for both portables. ? not that it matters but if one system isnt selling well then chances of less games in the coming future.

Hmm judging from your list, I would say to go and get a PSP. Except for the first point, the rest of the games that you like are pretty much mainstay Sony franchises (well, Final Fantasy is debatable now). Just don't expect the games to be the same as the console versions.

Answer to your sales question, I feel like it's a trap, but I'll answer it anyways.
Sales figures in terms of installed base:
Japan: DS >>> PSP
North America: DS > PSP
Europe: DS > PSP

I guess that's it.

Takuan

llTll said:
i like Metal Gear Soild.
The only MGS games available for PSP are the Acid titles that are completely different in gameplay from the PS/PS2 games.

Winning Eleven is out now in Asia and it's very good, despite not having any commentary. The US release should be out in the near future.

There's a Final Fantasy game in development, but I'm not sure if it'll be an RPG.

There's a Ridge Racer game (Ridge Racers) out now.

I don't think there are plans to release a Tekken or VF on PSP, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the former.

Capcom is developing a Devil May Cry game but hasn't released any info at all regarding its progress.

There's a Bleach game out in Asia that won't see the light of day here. It's unlikely that any anime titles will be available in North America.

llTll

Banned
BorkBork said:
Hmm judging from your list, I would say to go and get a PSP. Except for the first point, the rest of the games that you like are pretty much mainstay Sony franchises (well, Final Fantasy is debatable now). Just don't expect the games to be the same as the console versions.

Answer to your sales question, I feel like it's a trap, but I'll answer it anyways.
Sales figures in terms of installed base:
Japan: DS >>> PSP
North America: DS > PSP
Europe: DS > PSP

I guess that's it.

there is no trap. i really dont know numbers.

even though i was thinking that PSP out sell DS in monthly bases [ not talking about the DS lead here ]

but i guess i am wrong.

Docpan

DS, because of all the games that are out that rock.

I'm not gonna get into it any deeper, because flamewars will arise. But basically, in my opinion the DS library is very strong, so strong in fact I'm now backlogged with all the good games that are coming out. Whereas my PSP is getting very little playtime.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
llTll said:
i like Metal Gear Soild.
Well let's see.

Anime games are definitely more popular on the DS. DBZ Supersonic Warriors 2 just came out and Treasure's online Bleach game will come out next year. PSP does have two Bleach fighters which are exactly the same, the first one should not have been released as it was an incomplete game that seems they did complete and just released it as part 2 in the series.

MGA isn't MGS. I don't know if you are interested in MGA, but Advance Wars is quite superior imo.

WE9 on the PSP is shit compared to the PS2 version, but there is no DS version atm so I guess PSP wins here? A DS version is in the works and the game is on Nintendo's WiFi list of online titles, but we know nothing about the game yet.

The only actual FF game coming to PSP is another FFVII spin-off ARPG. The DS seems to be the handheld Square is giving their full support to.

Ridge Racer is superior on the PSP, no doubt about that, as are racers in general.

Tekken & Virtua Fighter were vague rumors for the PSP, but nothing solid ever came out of them.

DMC was announced for PSP long ago and aside from knowing it's a new game we know nothing about it although rumors have been going around for months. It was recently rumored that it will be called Dance of Sparda and that a DMC game in VJ style is heading to the DS, but nothing ever came out of these rumors as well.

I hope this helps you make your decision.

Khalid-S

i like games based on populer animations, bleach, dragon ball, etc. DS+1
i like Metal Gear Soild. PSP+1 ( Only if u like card Games )
i like winning eleven, Final fantasy. ummm DS well get both in a better way so DS+1
i like Ridge Racer, Tekken, VF, Devil may cry, umm what else? PS2 +1

llTll said:
i like Metal Gear Soild.
Everyone saying that PSP is automatically what you should go with hasn't thought about the question long enough based on the games you listed.

The DS has some very nice options to go along with your gaming preferences:

ss0103.jpg

Bleach DS made by Treasure and it is WIFI enabled for up to 4 players online!

925597_20051118_screen001.jpg

It's Dragonball!

920413_20040510_screen001.jpg

[screen from GBA version] You say you like Metal Gear Solid? Kojima is hard at work on Boktai for the DS, which combines MGS style gameplay with vampire hunting! Who knows, Metal Gear could appear on the DS in the future too (ie: MGS Ghost of Babel on GBC happened after all).

fi06ds001.jpg

Fifa 06, it's no Winning Eleven, but it's decent (only if you just HAD to play soccer asap).
Doesn't matter though, because Winning Eleven is headed to the DS -> Gamespot news And IGN lists it as having Online play!

45571020051029_184609_1_big.jpg
45571020051029_184609_0_big.jpg

45571020051029_184610_3_big.jpg
45571020051029_184609_2_big.jpg

Final Fantasy? The DS is certainly the victor thus far in this regard: FF Crystal Chronicles DS is coming and you know it'll be WIFI enabled. A full 3D version of FF III (NES) is on its way and looks beautiful (see image above). Plus, you can play: FF TACTICS GBA, FF I&II GBA, FF IV GBA, FFV GBA and FF VI GBA on the DS! Future prospects look VERY GOOD on this one. (Don't forget that Children of Mana is coming along with many other franchises) Also, don't forget that so far, Square Enix only has one announced title for PSP - FF Crisis Core.

924896_20041122_screen004.jpg

Eh.... well, what can I say. There is a Ridge Racer game on the DS. It sucks.

No word on Tekken or Virua Fighter for DS OR PSP. I don't even think I've seen rumors for these games on any platform yet (google search didn't seem to pick anything up, but I didn't look too hard).

Devil May Cry? On DS? Hah!.... wait a minute! Famitsu says that it is rumored to show up on DS afterall and that it would be super deformed and not take itself too seriously. Many sites ran the rumor, here is one -> Gamespy

There are lots of other great reasons to own the DS and their are many reasons to own a PSP, but I thought this reply would atleast show that the DS is very capable to handle your preferences. Hope this was somewhat interesting.

cvxfreak

It really depends on what you prioritize. You list MGS, and then WE and FF. MGS on PSP is nowhere near full-fledged as the consoles, while FF on the DS is pretty much all out, and WE is heading to both systems.

I'd say go with either one. My personal choice would be DS, but eh, either way is fine.

racerx77

Banned
llTll said:
work is boring. and i cant live with my game boy advance anymore lol
You can play videogames at work? What kind of job do you have? Just curious.
I woould go with the DS by the way. It started off slowly, but has really taken off lately.
I would get one myself right now, but its too close to Christmas. :D

I would say go micro cheap hardware cheap software i see you have a gameboy advance even more reason to get a micro! go micro go micro go!

dorio

Banned
Get a 360 and you will get next gen gaming and get to play crappy handheld games on a big screen with the xbl arcade. :)

Skipping X360= +400$
Getting NDS and PSP = -400$
-----------------------------------
Balance = 0

There you have it :)

EDIT: I forgot...you get a FREE Mario Kart in the package :lol

stone128

llTll said:
i like Metal Gear Soild.
i like winning eleven, Final fantasy. i like Ridge Racer, Tekken, VF, Devil may cry, umm what else?

Bleach = Both systems
Dragon Ball = Both systems (?)
Metal Gear = PSP
Winning eleven = PSP
Final Fantasy = PSP getting a FFVII spin off, DS a FFIII Remake and overall better support.
Ridge Racer = Both systems (but the PSP game is vastly better from what I understand)
Tekken = If it's going to show up somewhere, it's most likely gonna be the PSP
VF = same as above
Devil May Cry = PSP

So if I were you, I'd go with a PSP, based on what you like.

As for the DS, the online games (Mario Kart, Animal Crossing) has the potential to make it my most played handheld ever.

bill0527

From briefly reading your post history, color me shocked to hear you say that won't be getting an Xbox360.

For someone who really seems to hate the console, you've got some kind of sick fascination with talking about it, even in places where it doesn't make any sense.

callous

Gaia Theory said:
924896_20041122_screen004.jpg

Eh.... well, what can I say. There is a Ridge Racer game on the DS. It sucks.

It most certainly doesn't, but it's popular to say so. Probably because it launched alongside Ridge Racers. The truth of the matter is that it's a game that should fit most fans of the first two PSX RR games as the game looks and feels almost exactly like RR and RRR, only with the handling being like R4/RR64. Obviously, if you liked RR64, you'll also like RR DS. It's a great game for fans of the originals. One of my most played DS games.

Matix

"i will skip 360 for PS3."

You say this now, but watch later...

Anyway, niether handheld would be bad but...

*ANIME GAMES (PSP)*:

MAI-HIME BAKURETSU:
-Fighting/Other-: (JPN-Out 12/8/05)

game2_01.jpg

BLEACH: Heat The Soul 2:
-Fighting-: (JPN-Out Now):

psp411_com-product-498-4.jpg

SOUKYUU no FAFNER: Dead Agressor:
-Action-: (JPN-Out Now):
psp411_com-product-70-2.jpg

GUNDAM: Battle Tactics:
-Mech/Action-: (JPN-Out Now):

psp411_com-product-762-4.jpg

SUPER ROBOT WARS MX:
-Mech/Strategy-: (JPN-12/28/05):

psp411_com-product-763-4.jpg

BLOOD+:
(JPN-1/26/05)

COMIC PARTY PORTABLE:
-Adventure/Sim-: (JPN-12/08/05)

DRAGON BALL (Working Title):
-Action/Fighting-: (US/JPN-TBA)

NARUTO (Working Title):
-Action-: (US/JPN-TBA)

ONE PIECE (Working Title):
-Action-: (US/JPN-TBA)

*THE REST (PSP)*:

METAL GEAR ACID 1:
-Strategy-: (US/JPN-Out Now):

psp411_com-product-10-1.jpg

METAL GEAR ACID 2:
-Strategy-: (JPN-12/8/06: US-3/1/06):

psp411_com-product-301-1.jpg

METAL GEAR BD:
-Interactive Comic-: (JPN/US-TBA):

WINNING ELEVEN 9:
-Sport-: (JPN-Out Now: US 2/28/06):
psp411_com-product-776-1.jpg

FIFA 06:
-Sport-: (US-Out Now)

psp411_com-product-791-1.jpg

FINAL FANTASY 7: Crisis Core:
-Action/RPG-: (JPN/US-TBA 2006):

MAGNA CARTA:
-RPG-: (JPN/US-TBA 2006)

psp411_com-product-837-2.jpg

DEVIL MAY CRY: Dance Of Sparda:
-Action-: (JPN/US-TBA 2006)

GEKIDO: Dark Angel:
-Action-: (US-TBA)

psp411_com-product-243-1.jpg

RIDGE RACER:
-Racing-: (US/JPN-Out Now):

psp411_com-product-14-3.jpg

Tekken + Virtua Fighter PSP (Rumored):

Your obviously aiming for the PSP.

Ranger X

Personally i bought the DS because it's a different experience than home consoles.
I guess it depends what type of games you're aiming for. Do you want games that feel and play more like your home console? if yes, buy a PSP.
If you want a different experience and widen your game experiences, buy a DS.

There's nothing on any home console that feels like Advance Wars DS, Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Trauma Center, Kirby Canva Curse or again Phoenix Wright that's for sure and that's why i soooo like my DS.

Dilbert

1) Given your gaming preferences, the PSP is the way to go if you only want to buy one. I also have the PSP + GBA SP combination, and it's been great for me.

2) Who is that girl in your avatar?

Top Bottom