• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I went to the National Videogame Museum today

TexMex

So I’m in the Dallas area where this is located so I figured I’d take a day and check it out and it was pretty great. Only $12 to get in, tons of cool stuff, and at the end they give you a bunch of tokens to play in a retro arcade full of extremely well refurbished machines. Played a lot of Sunset Riders and Moonwalker. There were also just tons of terminals set up on CRTs playing NES/SNES games, old Apple II's you could fuck with, just game terminals everywhere. If you're in the Dallas area - it's definitely well worth your time.

BPrlf8H.jpg

Came into this giant wall that has most systems up to the 8th gen or so. You could pick the console on those SNES terminals and they were full of info around the lunch, price and other cool stuff for context like average household income. It's crazy seeing stuff like 3DO launch at $700 or whatever with the average household income around $30k.

lDL1USk.jpg

OTwFeq5.png

They had a ton of dev kits which was really cool.

3D1t0Gy.png

weg2Jlf.png

8c9s51R.png

This one always hurts. I had the Clayfighter Sculpters Cut - in box - that I bought used when I was a kid when my local Blockbuster was closing. Now it's one of the most expensive N64 games. I sold it for ten bucks.

jTigokU.png

Shrine to the original Mario movie full of props from the set.

oNT2tBJ.png

uwAgNkE.png

There was a giant wall full of every bumper sticker, button and promo material you could think of for decades worth of games. But I'm an A Boy and His Blob fanatic and its hilarious that they had a bumper sticker for this. I'd love to drive around with it on my car today.

NlEyhJo.png

b5vABDi.png

VGsz2qA.png

06q1PPh.png

This was hilarious to me. I only took one photo. The entire front lobby where you wait in line to pay to get in is full of fucking Battleborn statues. All 4-5 feet tall, just huge. Just this legendary flop and its the entire lobby to the museum. Gearbox studios is located just around the corner, so they donated all of this garbage and I guess they were too nice to throw it out.

CVhnBWu.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's really cool! Looks like a fun display. Thanks for the photos.

Alebrije

Looks great, that wall with all the versions of Donkey Kong is super..used to play it on my 2600 for hours...

Vyse

Gold Member
That is so cool. Thanks for sharing. Was in Dallas a few months back and missed this. Will definitely check it out next time.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I live in Propser, Tx, litterally 15 minutes from this place for the last 5 years and still have never been. Need to go.

If you are still in the area, hit up Nerdvana for a great lunch and gaming experience.

TexMex

I live in Propser, Tx, litterally 15 minutes from this place for the last 5 years and still have never been. Need to go.

If you are still in the area, hit up Nerdvana for a great lunch and gaming experience.

I’m in Celina!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I love the Pong machine and the stories of its origin. The machine would stop working due to being filled to the brim with quarters. How people would BS with the actual developers of the cabinet about who actually created it, not knowing who they were. How the radio frequency in the cabinets would jam police scanners.

StereoVsn

This is a great museum with pretty interesting exhibits. Thanks for posting the info and pictures, OP!

I will try to visit next time I am in Dallas.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I enjoyed reading your impressions and loved the pictures. Thanks for sharing!

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
This one always hurts. I had the Clayfighter Sculpters Cut - in box - that I bought used when I was a kid when my local Blockbuster was closing. Now it's one of the most expensive N64 games. I sold it for ten bucks.

Looks like boxed goes for 2.6-3K.

sorry-bro-my-bad.gif

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Entrance is $12? That’s a steal.
Very cool stuff on display, even if some collectors’ displays I’ve seen on the internet make this look like a small selection.

TexMex

Looks like boxed goes for 2.6-3K.

sorry-bro-my-bad.gif

Yeah it’s rough. My box was in awful condition (washed out and faded from facing the window in a Blockbuster for years) but the cart was mint.

Terrible game too, I thought I was ripping someone off when it sold.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Is that the one in Frisco, TX? I went there a few years back. I loved it also, and if it's the same one im thinking about they have a full old school arcade in there too!

I saw an MK2 arcade unit in the back and was all excited and when i went to play it, the fucking Kick buttons were sticking so i was like....

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Dawnie Marie

You better believed i said something too LOL If you're gonna have an arcade, you gotta maintain the games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The pic with all the Donkey Kongs is a true nostalgic pic.

Back in the 80s, game mags would have ads and that's how many game companies promoted their Popeye or Frogger game etc... A grid of different versions. I think even some games had that on the back of the game box if I remember correctly.

It was just a sign of the times. Transparent and one ad covers all systems.

Top Bottom