• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want to talk about Artdink and their games.

SUPER UPDATE: Harold has reopened his A-Train 9 fansite, blog and forums! Meanwhile, A-Train 9 1.0 has arrived on Steam through the efforts of Degica (and 3.0 is yet to come); Natsume is set to publish A-Train 3DS in the US and Europe this fall and winter.

|||

Why? Because no one here has ever put that much time into the company and made a thread about it—that's why.

IP2Ql.jpg

Artdink's beginnings are rather hazy, though the general estimate is that their first game, Take The A-Train, was released for Japanese PCs back in 1986 (and that's what they've put on their corporate site, anyhow; they have cited 1985 as the first release year in some of their product information, which makes this a sketchy estimate). Tatsuo Nagahama and his friends got together to make a bunch of high-concept, complex, and utterly Japanese simulation games, and thus was born Take The A-Train. In their early period, the team's products ranged from their usual train business simulation series (known informally as A-Train) to historical adventure series like The Atlas, or WWII military war-games—they even made games where you program a legion of robots to build big things! And it was in this period, from the company's inception to around the launch of the PlayStation, that its success was most solidified and prominent amongst the other big Japanese soft-houses of the era. A-Train, of course, happened to be the developer's backbone, self-published and self-gratifying with a prodigious amount of fanzine coverage and worthy accolades and big awards from the Japanese gaming press—it made them most of their money, for that matter. Even though A-Train has continually grown ever since, though, Artdink's taste for unique concepts and great execution rarely wavered, and this was their era of glory.

When the PlayStation finally launched, so did Artdink with the latest and greatest version of the A-Train games yet seen by the public (we got the same version in 1996 from Maxis, who also published A-Train III overseas much earlier: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-Train). And from then on, they established themselves as a major patron of the PSX platform in Japan, releasing games like Carnage Heart and ToPoLo early on, as well classics like No One Can Stop Mr. Domino! in their later PSX years. Franchises like Lunatic Dawn, a series of JRPGS that was previously rather unknown, got a lease on its life when they moved to the new platform, while old standbys like A-Train took a brusque leave and lacked the same amount of relevance as did the series' predecessors. And new developers received their chance to try and produce neat games for the company, like the eccentric Kazutoshi Ida and his games at Artdink (Tail of the Sun and Aquanaut's Holiday, in particular). Still, for all of the company's past successes and new contraptions, it remained small and dedicated to coming up with great games based on some more inaccessible bases for video games at the time—they had never made much revenue to begin with, and the times were changing, consolidating into more vulgarized affairs wherein more conventional concepts appealed to the Japanese public. While Artdink was lucky that A-Train was still accepted amongst the Japanese train-loving populace, many of the house's other games fell into obscurity and an overall lack of attention as the move from the great old Japanese PCs to Windows PCs trudged forward, and as the move from the PlayStation to newer platforms continued.

Indeed, Artdink's intake of fresh talent and output of fresh games slowed down considerably after this era, with many of their releases becoming more staggered following the turn of the millennium. Today, Artdink has consolidated its line-up into three major groups: the Gundam Battle series of games and spin-offs (collaborating with Bandai, where some former Artdink members work now, interestingly enough), a renewed series of PSP-based Carnage Heart games, and the most recent A-Train releases (plus DLC and patches). While this is largely due to Artdink's eternal obscurity and low profile in the global gaming community, compounded by a less-forgiving financial climate and competition from companies like Maxis and Front Software, it doesn't have too many detriments. The A-Train continues to become more user-friendly than it used to be (the only issue I have with the games), and both their Carnage Heart and Gundam Battle games are robust and generally worth the mecha gaming fan's precious time. Where will Artdink go to in the future? I don't know—I just post here. But, as far as I'm concerned, the studio has always been a mainstay of the old guard of Japanese gaming, alongside other groups of relative status like Hudson, Love-de-Lic, Sogna, Excel, and so forth. And I hope that anyone reading this thread can come to appreciate what they've brought to video gaming. Now, it's time for some videos.

A-Train

Lazy Game Reviews did a video on A-Train, one that does a decent job of explaining the gist of the Western release fairly well.

And, for that matter, here's a great video showcasing how amazing the A-Train experience is today, all in one blow (You'll want to watch this in high-res, btw, because it's just gorgeous).

A-Train is different from other mass transit business simulations on a number of levels. It's based on the Japanese rail business model, which happens to be fairly rigid in how it operates. For example: want to set up rail switches and signaling, so you can run multiple trains at the same time with ease? Tough luck! Instead, the player gets to manually schedule departure and arrival times for each individual train on any single line, which is part of the endearing
tedium
charm of running a Japanese rail business. Add on to the usual railroad building and organization with a bunch of other activities like real-estate management, creating a busing service, preparing supplies for the growing human settlements that eventually sprawl across your growing dominion, and even being able to play the stock market! Each game is quite open-ended, and the only consistent objective between scenarios and maps is to attain a certain quantity of money—but, with so many different maps and different ways to play the game, A-Train offers a lot as a franchise.

Localized Titles

A-Train III — localized by Maxis, their first title not internally-developed. It was released as A-Train for DOS, Amiga, and Macintosh. Clicky for the Home of the Underdogs page!

A-Train IV — localized by Maxis for the PSX in 1996. It was originally released as a special Global Evolution version of the game in 1995 in Japan, and the Japanese version features the same number of languages as the Western port.

A-Train 8 — localized for Europe around 2010, I believe. Here's the page.

|||

Carnage Heart

Carnage Heart, thankfully, has more videos on YouTube and any media revolving around it is largely more accessible.

Here's some narrated videos detailing how to play Carnage Heart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sFcjUoFnow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riE0S00Lhyc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wws1a4ev50

Great videos, aren't they? They came on a second disk in the original European release of Carnage Heart for the PS. Now here's a later game in the franchise, still on the PSX.

Much like A-Train, Carnage Heart is very complex via its programming-centric focus and the way you battle and produce Over Kill Engines (OKEs), but it's this very depth and reliance on the player's programming and construction skills that allow for such interesting play, both in single-player and multi-player modes. And, as is the case with A-Train, the original game was already so well-developed and fleshed-out that all the sequels essentially focused on new content, game modes, and refinements to a winning formula. If you've ever wanted to try out a more strategic kind of mecha-based game, then seeking out the original Carnage Heart and braving the unlocalized sequels on the PSX and PSP is never a bad idea.

|||

In closing: I'm quite passionate about this company, as they've had an illustrious history and deserve more attention, I'd say. If you want to investigate more of the A-Train lineage or other game series that I had trouble finding information for (and info that was easy enough to place here and process for this thread's purpose, tbh), then you'd be glad to know that Artdink has a homepage of its own:

http://www.artdink.co.jp/ (Non-Japanese readers can deal with Google Translate—I deal with it all the time when I go here!)

Unlike a lot of other obscure Japanese developers, Artdink has always done a good job of recognizing their past works and providing great online services, particularly with websites for individual games (and one of those websites was even a big developer's blog, back in the late '90s! Exciting stuff that Artdink was pioneering). Whether anyone feels like responding, I'm glad to post this information and examples of A-Train and CH games. Hope you enjoyed this little romp.

Wallach

I really enjoyed Carnage Heart on the PSone. There really wasn't anything like it at the time (at least that I had ever been exposed to).

There was another game that Artdink made that could be considered similar to Carnage Heart. It was called HR2 (How Many Robots? 2, the sequel to one of their first games), and it focused on building a big tower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgf7W8GuTaY

—With a bunch of robot minions, you see. And, most importantly: they had to be programmed to perform certain routines with precision and care. If that wasn't enough, the tower building itself wasn't all that lenient, requiring good knowledge of engineering concepts and mathematical proficiency in order to ensure that the towering structure doesn't have any structural faults. Crazy idea for a simulation game, and one compromised by both being Japanese and catering to those with any engineering majors and/or degrees.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow, really nice OP! Post like those still makes GAF worth reading... I've always been interested in Artdink's games, especially the Carnage Heart series, ever since I saw old previews of them in the game mags of yore. They were one of those companies who really defined the PS1 as being a utopia for creative games. Shame that they've been treading on familiar ground just to stay afloat, but at least they are still around, unlike a lot of other seriously niche companies. There's no way something as offbeat as Tale of the Sun would be released on a leading home console in this day and age.

Also I'm quite partial to their hot-air-balloon sim NOTAM of WIND.

Absolutely shocked not to see GhaleonQ in here...

GhaleonQ

I'm here, I'm here! (And I was going to write the same if you weren't here.) I just can't post anything interesting because it's a busy political day.

Let me just say: No One Can Stop Mister Domino. Yes.

Why? Because no one here has ever put that much time into the company and made a thread about it—that's why.

IP2Ql.jpg

I'm pretty sure many, many years ago I made a thread showcasing the greatness of Aquanaut's Holiday (PS1 version, obviously) and Tail of the Sun.

It was quickly lost in the sea of GAF oblivion within a few hours, as I'm sure this one will.

Love ArtDink. So glad they are still kicking around (PS3 Aquanaut was great!)

I would love for them to revisit Tail of the Sun. So fucking bizarre, but it delivered as advertised: wild, pure, and simple. Love it.

duckroll

Artdink is also the developer that made .hack//Fragment, and all those Gundam Battle Whatever games on the PSP, and the Macross Whatever Frontier games on the PSP. They're currently making a new Gundam SEED action game on the PS Vita. Let's talk about GUNDAM!!!!!!!! :D

PROTIP: If anyone else around here is lucky enough to have a disc copy of Tail of the Sun for PS1, it's redbook... so you can pop the game into your CD player and enjoy some of the crazy-ass music. :D

I never cared for Artdink's technical games like Carnage Heart, but I rather enjoyed their "pointless wandering" games:

MPh1w.png

Doshin the Giant
edit - OK not really Artdink, but the director of Tail and Aquanaut's

vmqWG.jpg

Tail of the Sun

oeNWl.jpg

Aquanaut's Holiday

I've been playing Macross Last Frontier (PS3) recently, much improved over the first Trial Frontier, but the controls are still wonky.

There is a really good article about Artdink at www.mechadamashii.com

edit: Nevermind, it doesn't appear to be there. Weird.

I'm pretty sure many, many years ago I made a thread showcasing the greatness of Aquanaut's Holiday (PS1 version, obviously) and Tail of the Sun.

It was quickly lost in the sea of GAF oblivion within a few hours, as I'm sure this one will.

I would love for them to revisit Tail of the Sun. So fucking bizarre, but it delivered as advertised: wild, pure, and simple. Love it.

I believe I remember that thread. I would venture to say that Tail of the Sun is the first real open-world 3D sandbox game ever made.

Nice OP!
I didn't know so much about Artdink, just that they did A-Train series, but I'm always curious to discover these niche stuffs, thanks!

XOMTOR

I'm currently playing Macross Triangle Frontier on PSP. Man, this game has a shit ton of content. I've already clocked in 26 hours and have barely scratched the surface. Some guys on the Macross forums have over 200 hours and still haven't gotten 100% completion.

Wow, really nice OP! Post like those still makes GAF worth reading... I've always been interested in Artdink's games, especially the Carnage Heart series, ever since I saw old previews of them in the game mags of yore. They were one of those companies who really defined the PS1 as being a utopia for creative games. Shame that they've been treading on familiar ground just to stay afloat, but at least they are still around, unlike a lot of other seriously niche companies. There's no way something as offbeat as Tale of the Sun would be released on a leading home console in this day and age.

Also I'm quite partial to their hot-air-balloon sim NOTAM of WIND.

Thank you (well, thank you all!) for the compliment—I worked pretty hard to prepare this OP, and I'll probably add much more in a little bit. Also: Keita Takahashi's a good contemporary analog to Kazutoshi Iida, with games like Katamari Damacy and Noby Noby Boy. More about Kazutoshi a bit later in the post.

They probably wouldn't make a new Tail of the Sun in this day and age, both because I suspect that it was made on Kazutoshi's own initiative (which means that he'd really have to be there to motivate such a project) and because it could be made on a meager budget (which isn't necessarily the case anymore). It's my least favorite game from him, and I thought Doshin the Giant did the whole grandeur-of-nature theme better (same for Aquanaut's Holiday, which actually has relevance today, amongst games like EverBlue).

—This thread, unlike yours, is dedicated to the company as a whole, not just the games that Kazutoshi made. So, really, I think my statement stands firm.

PROTIP: If anyone else around here is lucky enough to have a disc copy of Tail of the Sun for PS1, it's redbook... so you can pop the game into your CD player and enjoy some of the crazy-ass music. :D

There was a soundtrack album release, actually (http://vgmdb.net/album/3728), but I don't know if it can be found easily anymore.

I never cared for Artdink's technical games like Carnage Heart, but I rather enjoyed their "pointless wandering" games:

MPh1w.png

Doshin the Giant
edit - OK not really Artdink, but the director of Tail and Aquanaut's

vmqWG.jpg

Tail of the Sun

oeNWl.jpg

Aquanaut's Holiday
One disappointment I've witnessed in this thread is that, outside of a few mentions of A-Train and Carnage Heart, only Kazutoshi Iida's PS games, the Domino stuff, and the Gundam Battle series and spinoffs have really been mentioned, which is a clear call to me to start covering the more obscure series that can easily be looked up on Artdink's website. I guess I'm just saddened by the lack of attention given to Artdink's main franchise and secondary franchises, like Carnage Heart, Lunatic Dawn, How Many Robots?, and The Atlas. Many of these games are just as unique and interesting than Artdink's modern material and the many unique games they made for the PSX—for example:

*Rail corporation simulations (A-Train)
*Military platoon SRPG + mecha simulations (Carnage Heart)
*Japanese-styled WRPGs with battle system similar to Baldur's Gate and open-world elements similar to Might and Magic/The Elder Scrolls (Lunatic Dawn)
*Robot programming + structural engineering simulations (HR 1/2)
*Japanese moon colony strategy games (Tokio 1/2)
*WWII war-game/simulators (Armored Divison/Ocean Order)
*Construction site team management game (Hanamaru Builder)
*Pirate stat-heavy action-adventure title (Go Pirate!)
*Historical trade simulators (The Atlas)
*Mario Artist-like game making application (BASIC STUDIO)

—And there's still more to go! Not to mention how large and cultured the main franchises are, Artdink's made a good quantity of interesting games over the years, and their obscurity is unnecessary in light of Artdink's excellent upkeep of their web resources (some of these games having well-functioning sites to this day). We've all talked about how zany Tail of the Sun is, or how serene Aquanaut's Holiday can be (and, might I add, how Doshin the Giant turned to be Kazutoshi's best title despite it being pretty mediocre compared to other god games)—but I want this thread to be more broad than that. If you do the right kind of searching, you can find all sorts of info about these under-appreciated, practically-unknown games with ease.

Lastly, something interesting about Iida: he worked as a CG graphics supervisor for HR2, which means he was working at Artdink at least all the way back in late-late 1994. This is the stuff interviews are made of.

Any discussion of Artdink is a great discussion, OP!
5+ years ago you would have probably received more responses on an Artdink thread on GAF, though. A lot of the games you mention are also Japan-only so the language barrier + high-level strategy trims it down to a very tiny audience.

I also recall an air balloon game by Artdink.

I haven't played a lot of Artdink's catalogue yet myself, but I'm still interested and hopeful that I will have the money and initiative to do so later. Why 5+ years ago, lol?

You mean NOTAM of Wind, which was a hot-air balloon simulator made for the PS1. I have my suspicions that the team that made A-Train 5 for the PS did this game, mainly due to the piss poor visuals and crazy concept (the former of which was a major flaw in A5).

I can't help but see Artdink, or at least Iida as being the pioneer of niche off-the-wall, or at least quirky games.

I mean, look at Iida's WiiWare game Discipline. o_O Doshin also has some VERY quirky bits in it IIRC from what I remember seeing of it.

And didn't Tail of the Sun and Spike's JAWA for Wii share too many similarities? Did anything happen between Artdink and Spike? Maybe some former Artdink folks were involved? I remember MANY folks at GAF in the JAWA announcement thread noticing huge similarities.

Iida's now at Grasshopper IIRC.

One disappointment I've witnessed in this thread is that, outside of a few mentions of A-Train and Carnage Heart, only Kazutoshi Iida's PS games, the Domino stuff, and the Gundam Battle series and spinoffs have really been mentioned, which is a clear call to me to start covering the more obscure series that can easily be looked up on Artdink's website. I guess I'm just saddened by the lack of attention given to Artdink's main franchise and secondary franchises, like Carnage Heart, Lunatic Dawn, How Many Robots?, and The Atlas. Many of these games are just as unique and interesting than Artdink's modern material and the many unique games they made for the PSX—for example:

Well, aside from the Carnage Heart PSP titles, all ArtDink has been doing in the last 5-6 years are Gundam and Macross titles.

I can't help but see Artdink, or at least Iida as being the pioneer of niche off-the-wall, or at least quirky games.

I mean, look at Iida's WiiWare game Discipline. o_O Doshin also has some VERY quirky bits in it IIRC from what I remember seeing of it.

And didn't Tail of the Sun and Spike's JAWA for Wii share too many similarities? Did anything happen between Artdink and Spike? Maybe some former Artdink folks were involved? I remember MANY folks at GAF in the JAWA announcement thread noticing huge similarities.

Iida's now at Grasshopper IIRC.
Artdink is more than just Kazutoshi Iida. The studio had a few creative powerhouses and leaders back in the day, the first two being Tatsuo Nagahama himself, and Carnage Heart creator Masaki Iizuka. Kazutoshi became the third to have a recognizable influence within the company culture, but then he left for greater pastures, forming Param under the supervision of Nintendo/Marigul. I don't think one can say that he's truly representative of Artdink itself, as Artdink did a great job of giving budgets and team to anyone who could impress Tatsuo with a great pitch for a game. Here, I'm willing to bet that Artdink might have been a spiritual predecessor to companies like Love-deLic and Grasshopper with this kind of creator-driven approach, at least heading into the PS era.

Also: that's utterly false, distantmantra. There's been a revival of the Carnage Heart brand (first under Portable, published by Genki, and then EXA came out last year), and the A-Train series has always been in production, with games like A-Train 7 and A-Train 9 (http://www.a-train9.jp/) being quite successful.

is A-Train really technical or can it be enjoyed by all?
Depends. The Maxis localization of A-Train III is very enjoyable, granted that you have an interest in complex, early 90s business simulators. It pioneered the use of isometric graphics for its genre, a technique later used in SimCity 2000. And it holds up quite well, coming with an English manual (a must-read for this kind of game, btw) and being an easy find on vaporware sites like Home of the Underdogs. There was also a localization of A-Train IV Global Evolution, the definitive PSX version of the game, by Maxis in 1996—also worth checking out, as it adds busing services to an already-enormous amount of things to do in A-Train.

A-Train, as I listed in the OP, has a lot of unique quirks you won't normally find in other games of its type, almost like a business-oriented, Japanese version of SimCity. If you go into the game expecting to listen to the pleas of the people and erect power lines for the city, then you're playing the wrong game—A-Train is all about setting up massive rail networks that people settle around, and all you have to deal with are the financial aspects of developing a city. So, it's like a fusion of Transport Tycoon, Railroad Tycoon, and SimCity, all in a distinct package. And, usually, the only goal in a pre-made scenario map is to attain a certain amount of cash, although there are map editors out there that allow the player to make some maps of his own, which has spawned an enormous Japanese map community for distinct entries in the franchise. Every game in the series has potential for ring a bucketload of fun, provided you treat it as the financial sandbox it most excels at being. Personally, I like to stick with the PC titles due to having more options and, generally-speaking, having the better entries in the franchise.

ctrayne

Dragoon En Regalia said:
Personally, I like to stick with the PC titles due to having more options and, generally-speaking, having the better entries in the franchise.

Which of the PC A-Train titles are translated into English?

A-Train III — localized by Maxis, their first title not internally-developed. It was released as A-Train for DOS, Amiga, and Macintosh. Clicky for the Home of the Underdogs page!

A-Train IV — localized by Maxis for the PSX in 1996. It was originally released as a special Global Evolution version of the game in 1995 in Japan, and the Japanese version features the same number of languages as the Western port.

A-Train 8 — localized for Europe around 2010, I believe. Here's the page.

—And that should be it, unfortunately. I'll add 'zis to the OP.

It's a great title, possibly the first game of its type with isometric visuals (that aren't intolerable to look at and play with, at least), and it's the most basic of the localized titles. There's a Map Construction pack that came with some releases of the game—be sure to find that if you want to get into map making later on.

A-Train 9 is coming to Germany as Der Bahn Gigant—problem is, it's German, and I'm not sure if it'll also have other languages in it.

onilink88

Put in close to five hundred hours on Macross Ultimate Frontier. Never got around to importing the the third game, though. For those who have it, would you say it's worth the import?

They're all worth your time, of course, but I don't know anything specific about that game. Just made a Kazutoshi Iida thread too, so I'm spent for today!

I'm on an Artdink frenzy—my avatar is from Tokio's opening credits! (EDIT: Not anymore, lol). Bless my NicoNico account.

I really enjoyed Carnage Heart on the PSone. There really wasn't anything like it at the time (at least that I had ever been exposed to).

My buddies and I played the hell out of this game back in 96-97...the hell.

It was so good.

I remember betting money on matches, we'd get so into it.

Infact when we moved into our new house three years ago and I was unpacking games, i accidentally dropped Carnage Heart while I was shelving my PSOne games and out fell two, nicely folded twenty dollar bills.

This game would make a great XBL / PSN game.

Would love a remake.

...also...didn't Artdink do Tail of the Sun?

If so...another great mention.

XOMTOR

Put in close to five hundred hours on Macross Ultimate Frontier. Never got around to importing the the third game, though. For those who have it, would you say it's worth the import?

If you have Ultimate, I'd be hard pressed to recommend importing Triangle. I did because I collect Macross crap so I'm weak. Anyway, the main difference is the academy mode and if you can't understand Japanese, you won't get much out of it; I basically just skipped through it and/or looked at the pretty pictures. The emphasis is on creating a custom character for use in the campaign although it's not required. Either way, now all character stats (both the anime based ones as well as your custom one) are locked; they don't level up as you play the game. So basically, Roy will always have higher stats than say Hikaru no matter how much you use the latter.

Triangle is also quite a bit easier than Ultimate since you gain a crap load of Nyan points using the academy. I think I played through it twice and had over 100K points. This means it's much easier to upgrade and buy better mechs early without having to grind missions or worry about A or S ranking. I personally prefer it because I really despise grinding.

There's a few more mechs and the armor packs can now be tuned/upgraded like the base mechs.

Graphics are pretty much the same but my favorite change is that they've gone back to the HUD that was in Ace Frontier; the one in Ultimate was huge and obscured too much of the screen.

Also Macross 2 has it's own campaign although it's only about 6 missions.

Speaking of A-Train and thread revivals: I highly recommend that any prospective fans of the franchise should go and read what Harold has to say at his A-Train 9 blog. He's very informative on the recent localization(s) of A-Train 8/9, and he's the one most able to describe the unique beauty of playing A-Train. Furthermore: he's played the recent games a lot more than I have, and he's been keeping up with interesting updates on the status of his countryside urban settlement project. Forums are up, even!

I've recently hit a jackpot of .PSF files with music from all of the Carnage Heart titles on the PSX, as well as the music from both versions of A-Train IV on the same platform. So good, even if the CH stuff is incomplete. At least Koshiro Nishida's marvelous music from A-Train's golden era is still intact in this form.

Cacophanus

I've been playing Macross Last Frontier (PS3) recently, much improved over the first Trial Frontier, but the controls are still wonky.

There is a really good article about Artdink at www.mechadamashii.com

edit: Nevermind, it doesn't appear to be there. Weird.

I think the article you're thinking of is this one I wrote for Game Set Watch:

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2007/11/column_robotochan_whatever_happened.php

I also included some of the Macross PSP games (by Artdink) in this piece too:

http://www.mechadamashii.com/features/features-macross-pioneers/

Artdink are a really developer though.

Speaking of Artdink, I should be picking up Gundam Seed Battle Destiny next week. Wish the animations were better, but it should at least be good fun like all the other Gundam Battle games before it.

I never knew you wrote that article, Caco. You ever thought about covering the Carnage Heart games on Mecha Damashii? If you can do Gungriffon, you can definitely enlighten the mecha game community on Carnage Heart.

Not really. The only permanent man they've ever had (and may still have, but IDK) is Daisuke Nakakaze, who mostly did sound stuff and just a small portion of the music, depending on the project. I'm wondering if Artdink just took in contractors to do the music, because there's never been a large, stable sound team at the company as far as I'm aware.

There's a bunch of really-interesting Artdink music, though, and musicians like Koji Yamada and Osamu Yoshida put their all into both A-Train and other Artdink games. Koji Yamada and Ryuji Nishida (an associate of Masafumi Takada) both went on to find work elsewhere (Yamada over at Bandai doing the soundtrack for games like Digimon World; Nishida doing some more stuff I can't remember), and Artdink was the middle-point in Yasuyuki Suzuki's long career in game music, before he shipped off with Kazutoshi Iida to work on Doshin the Giant and other projects.

Overall: the biggest problem with investigating Artdink's musical line-up is the age and obscurity of the games and platforms themselves. If I had a Windows machine, I could easily load up files from the HOOT archives and take a full listen, but I haven't set that up yet. And any Artdink albums that are out there are difficult to acquire. But the stuff's good, I hear.

I've been talking with Harold from the A-Train fan forum about Carnage Heart for a day or two, and I made note of how many dedicated CH fans have made websites now abandoned after years of neglect. Interesting to see if such a fan-scene could potentially explode with a Western localization, should one ever come around.

WhyMe6

I'm just sad that I missed out on getting a Chinese/English version of Aquanaut's Holiday before it hit US$185+ on eBay :(

One day I aim to play through the Japanese version!

Indeed it is. But it's also being sold without any good tutorials and statistical information within the package itself, the traditional flaw that Artdink's failed to fix for the franchise.

Adding the A9 fan-blog and fan-forum to the OP for those interested in purchasing and playing The Train Giant. Harold's been the most dedicated A-Train aficionado ever since he first played A-Train HX for the first time, and I find his efforts to build a comprehensive, definitive fan site for the game, and hopefully, the franchise itself most admirable. Joe Bob sez check it out!

Cacophanus

steveovig

I bought A-Train for the PSX several years ago and could never figure out how to play it. I got frustrated and put it away and it still sits alone in my house to this day.

Top Bottom