• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think that atmosphere in most games suck, have problem to set the tone of the game and evokes no emotion ....

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I mean this might another emo thread, but I don't care. I think most often than not, I am not hyped for game because it lacks "the scene", setting tone and "put you into game".

Many people told me that I am negative with everything, but I guess that's my Slav nature, so I guess I need more uplifting experince. Some pinacle of this is, something which is not even game, but ad for B748-i, which for some reason deleted by Boeing:

This tone, this presence which put you into scene and evoke something, the music, voice, everything works together. Something akin to this would be great for some ending, where you would feel like you achieve something, but thanks to "DLC culture" some satisfing end is really not trend.

I think The Journey has all of this, music works with scene and when you reach the mouitain and fly, it kind of emotionally broke me. That game has bad situation and great situations so the contrast where you feel hopelessnes and happiness are in really good balance and when the credits rolls out. I was like "that was one hell of ride".
I mean this:

Dust: The Elysian Tail has perfect ending song:

It just works so well, with the ending. And back then I know nothing about furry culture, so it was not in my mind.

Ori has suber soundtrack, first one more so than second one. It has melody it has some feel to it and it works really well through the first game perfectly with the context of the game.

Another great example is whole Mass Effect trilogy, so many songs, I cannot post them, because it would be too long.

MGR: Revengeance has killer sountrack which works even with lyrics amazingly with the game. One example which stood out to me with it's lyrics and also creator, trance legend Ferry Corsten is this:

It's from DLC, but that does not matter OST has no weak track and with the gameplay, I was on the edge of the seat the whole time.

I cannot not mention Forza Horizon 3 intro, I can watch it million times and still got the perfect feel of the game.

Also this is not exactly about music, but 'member that moment with giraffe in TLoU, depressing game, but that moment was pure magic.

And many other great examples, but this is what stand out to me. Well Nier: Automata did this good too, but nothing amazing in my opinion.

Also how can I forget about Condemned: Criminals Origins. The main menu theme, set the scene perfectly and works well with the context of the game:

Games are mostly plain with hardly any atmosphere, switch to more orchestral soundtrack with many layers and hardly any feel was a mistake. Well some good examples exist like Nate Theme from Uncharted:

It too does a great job with set the scene and tone of the game.

Maybe I through to the mix Max Payne 3, that games knows what it wants to say and despite being depressive as fuck, it feels like something special. Writing goes hand in hand with gameplay, voice over and theme of the game, everything is coherent.

Maybe I liked Control that much, because of Ashtray Maze and TAKE CONTROL, best moment in the game....in fucking years. Especially "oh fuck some stupid boring puzzle awaits". Then you have amazing setpiece, which I played through many times and still it was badass as fuck.

I want to emotionally stimulated, I don't want to bland game, I don't want to be hopeless all the time or play something which I am playing just because it's a game. Gameplay is important, but hardly any game have coherent vision of what they creating. Many games are hauled like a "writing masterpiece", but same games suffer from lack of something which grabs you and keep you playing. Hardly any game is "experience" which you remember.

It's easy to create music with many layers so it sounds big but it's bland, lack melody, atmosphere. I know because I struggle with creating music pretty hard, even though I have something under my belt, for me it's about atmosphere and flow, melody, lyrics...something where you can find yourself (or not, but at least emphasize) and maybe I am too far in the rabbit hole of this music creating mindset.

My message is take it easy, few tones in the right time does far more than some bombastic orchestral music.

Obviously I want to shoehorn Doom 2k16 and Doom: Eternal into this, because without music, that game is...half of what it is with music. But I find music to be samey thoughtout the game and it's nice background stimulant, but it does not have the moments which I would say stands out. But hell of a games.

This is maybe important for next gen, because as you can see there are more examples from PS3/X360 era, then current era. Something changes, gaming industry produces more shallow games, which simply does not grab me. And I don't like it.

Maybe no one cares, but I might not be only one, with this.

Discuss...

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Ooooooo, one I wasn't expecting... Ace Combat 7!

The dialogue/story is silly at times but its surprisingly gripping because of the great soundtrack, cutscene direction (This is genuinely really impressive for a game imo) and melancholic vibes of people constantly talking about accepting that they could die at any second lol

Kuranghi

Maybe I liked Control that much, because of Ashtray Maze and TAKE CONTROL, best moment in the game....in fucking years. Especially "oh fuck some stupid boring puzzle awaits. And then you have amazing setpiece, which I played through many times and still it was badass as fuck.

I totally agree, I died a few times in that segment for some reason (retardation I think), one time right near the end and I didn't really mind because it was so fun!

M1chl

Ooooooo, one I wasn't expecting... Ace Combat 7!

The dialogue/story is silly at times but its surprisingly gripping because of the great soundtrack, cutscene direction (This is genuinely really impressive for a game imo) and melancholic vibes of people constantly talking about accepting that they could die at any second lol
Ace Combat 7 is something I admire, but haven't still play though it, so that's maybe good game to try. Because I am aviation nut, but just for civil aviation, fighter jets does not interest me as much. But stil it has planes and it's on GamePass, so why not to try it.

I totally agree, I died a few times in that segment for some reason (retardation I think), one time right near the end and I didn't really mind because it was so fun!
Also great thing was Jessie telling "that was amazing" at the end of that setpiece, I like this sort of self awareness.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Ace Combat 7 is something I admire, but haven't still play though it, so that's maybe good game to try. Because I am aviation nut, but just for civil aviation, fighter jets does not interest me as much. But stil it has planes and it's on GamePass, so why not to try it.

Even if its about materiel instead of civil aviation I think you will still dig it because its quite peaceful in a way, just make sure you choose the advanced fight controls when it asks you.

M1chl

Even if its about materiel instead of civil aviation I think you will still dig it because its quite peaceful in a way, just make sure you choose the advanced fight controls when it asks you.
Is it going to be controllable, I don't play these games that often. But I play shit out of first HAWX, but that was arcady as fuck, but it was fun!

Kuranghi

Is it going to be controllable, I don't play these games that often. But I play shit out of first HAWX, but that was arcady as fuck, but it was fun!

Its more like HAWX I'd say, its not a sim or anything, you hold a button to do "super turning" haha

Check out this majesty of a song, its my favourite:

and this song is 10x better when you're casually blowing up planes with ultra long range missiles at it plays!

Hottest tip: You can hold the missile button to follow it to the target, its fucking ace

Last edited:

M1chl

Its more like HAWX I'd say, its not a sim or anything, you hold a button to do "super turning" haha

Check out this majesty of a song, its my favourite:

Its 10x better when you are casually blowing up planes with ultra long range missiles!

Hottest tip: You can hold the missile button to follow it to the target, its fucking ace

Sounds good. That song is also great!

M1chl

Maybe I forget to mention Saint's Row 2, where is it kind of goofy, but when they kill your homie, that moments was "holy shit", it hit me pretty hard. Especially with the tone of the game.

JTCx

I gotta admit OP i only read like a quarter of that. However you mentioned MGRising badass soundtrack, trance, and ferry corsten. Have a like.

M1chl

I gotta admit OP i only read like a quarter of that. However you mentioned MGRising badass soundtrack, trance, and ferry corsten. Have a like.
Trance is my favorite genre and I am somewhat lyricaly and musically behind these tracks and one is still under NDA : )

These two I done something musically, even though that first one is sadly my story, about my one and only 10 years back.

But since I know Roxanne Emery, I am lyrically helps with more than 10 tracks, but I want more, I want to keep pushing and create my own songs. It's hard. Especially pushing the sound, so it sounds recent, is one hell of a job to do. I have more contact to the artists, so I am probably on good path : )

But I never spoke to Corsten sadly, but let me leave this there, this masterpiece:

Even that clip works, if trailers were like this, it would be different world for me, full of hype and joy.

Cycom

Banned
Atmosphere?
If you’re into the genre, Dark Souls 1 has THE best dark/high fantasy setting ever created. I wish I could experience playing it for the first time again.

Audiophile

Atmosphere is the cornerstone of everything. Art and entertainment, games, movies, music...even the boot up sound of a console.

It's what made AC & the Ezio Trilogy so powerful and the newer games so soulless.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Not sure what you mean OP. You say the atmosphere in most games suck... yet you list a butt-ton of examples with good atmosphere.

I mean... yeah if you count EVERY SINGLE GAME including shovelware, then yeah... I guess most game atmospheres do suck.

I totally agree atmosphere is important. It can make or break a game. And I also agree that music contributes to atmosphere heavily.

Just my thoughts.

JTCx

Trance is my favorite genre and I am somewhat lyricaly and musically behind these tracks and one is still under NDA : )

These two I done something musically, even though that first one is sadly my story, about my one and only 10 years back.

But since I know Roxanne Emery, I am lyrically helps with more than 10 tracks, but I want more, I want to keep pushing and create my own songs. It's hard. Especially pushing the sound, so it sounds recent, is one hell of a job to do. I have more contact to the artists, so I am probably on good path : )

But I never spoke to Corsten sadly, but let me leave this there, this masterpiece:

Even that clip works, if trailers were like this, it would be different world for me, full of hype and joy.

Ben Gold's City Sleeps Tonight was a surprise hit for me. One of my fav releases of last year. Corsten's stuff is always great especially his Blueprint release.

Check out Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune OSTs. The trance music alone from Yuzo Koshiro made it one of the top racing games for me. That shit gets you pumped.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Atmosphere is a hard thing to nail. Visuals, audio, voice acting, and congruency between art style and music style all must meet a minimum standard. You could have great music but if your art style sucks then the whole experience is held back.

I consider it a miracle when a game does elicit a strong emotion.

Lunk

I've said it, and I've seen other people echo the same thing without ever talking to them: Journey is just a more generic version of ICO. Swap the human bonds theme with "The Cycle of Life and Rebirth" and you have your video game equivalent to Beauty Of Everything.

It's like yeah. We are born, we die, and something is born again... Great. You communicated it in vague imagery and symbols of the hardships of life... Well done.

But ICO is an actual story told in a metaphorical way, with characters and characterization yet it feels like Journey with its symbol-oriented narrative, only it hits that much harder. Journey seems like a much more expensive game that doesn't have the emotional gut punch that ICO did.

And I think that speaks to the whole atmosphere problem, that a lot of games had artists pour all their soul and workmanship into creating evocative atmosphere but the vision of the project isn't as focused on that, and the tone isn't very deliberate.

M1chl

Ben Gold's City Sleeps Tonight was a surprise hit for me. One of my fav releases of last year. Corsten's stuff is always great especially his Blueprint release.

Check out Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune OSTs. The trance music alone from Yuzo Koshiro made it one of the top racing games for me. That shit gets you pumped.

So just shameless plug I made the lead for City Sleeps Tonight. But obviously could not finish the whole track, so based on my contact, I got paid, but nothing else. Like my name in the title. As you might know most music is collaboration even though name is there one. Also I have funny story, how I delivered vocalist to that. So I guess thank you, if that was surprise for you.

And that sound track is kind of old-school type of trance, which I also like

Helscream

Banned
Since you already mentioned DOOM. DUSK has a great OST if your looking for a metal injection.

Jesper Kyd did a fucking phenomenal OST for the First four Hitman Titles.

Paul Romero made the old school HoMM tracks from back in the day. Necropolis Theme is a standout IMO.

Path of Exile, being the true succesor to the Diablo Throne has a fantastic OST.

Hope that stirs something in you.

M1chl

Since you already mentioned DOOM. DUSK has a great OST if your looking for a metal injection.

Jesper Kyd did a fucking phenomenal OST for the First four Hitman Titles.

Paul Romero made the old school HoMM tracks from back in the day. Necropolis Theme is a standout IMO.

Path of Exile, being the true succesor to the Diablo Throne has a fantastic OST.

Hope that stirs something in you.

Those are good examples!

Anyway, makes me think how hard it would be in some anciet RPG to have music like this:

You can skip through it, because there are many trakc in there, but the music is really really good.

M1chl

Also how can I forget Mirror's Edge, first one more than second one, but still.

Helscream

Banned
Those are good examples!

Anyway, makes me think how hard it would be in some anciet RPG to have music like this:

You can skip through it, because there are many trakc in there, but the music is really really good.

Glad I could be of service OP. I am actually quite fond of Celtic folk music myself so I will keep this marked for later. Probably when im grinding on Path of Exile.

The only game in recent memory that uses some European folk music would be the Witcher 3. Can't recall anything else at the moment.

M1chl

Glad I could be of service OP. I am actually quite fond of Celtic folk music myself so I will keep this marked for later. Probably when im grinding on Path of Exile.

The only game in recent memory that uses some European folk music would be the Witcher 3. Can't recall anything else at the moment.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance (obviously) used that too, but not really celtic music, but old Slavic music. And umm, I am not exactly fond of that.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
What about the Lisa Trilogy, Morrowind or Ys 8?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't play those games, but if you are talking to Jeremy Soule in Skyrim, than I can agree on that : )

What is Ys 8?
Ys-VIII-Lacrimosa-of-DANA.jpg

Starts off slow though.

yurqqa

I still remember the first time I started Final Fantasy VIII.
I just felt that I’m living this game.

P.S. I was a bit drunk though. Maybe that also helped...

M1chl

Just play more games.
Great advice, can you tell me what games. I played more that 500 games, here is outdated summary and I also played on PS3, PS4 and PC, which does not have such nice summary:
91662.png

Here is my profile:

I think I played even really obscure games.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I mena this might another emo thread, but I don't care. I think most often than not, I am not hyped for game because it lacks "the scene", setting tone and "put you into game".

Many people told me that I am negative with everything, but I guess that's my Slav nature, so I guess I need more uplifting experince. Some pinacle of this is, soemthing which is not even game. But ad for B748-i, which for some reason deleted by Boeing:

This tone, this presence which put you into scene and evoke something, the music, voice, everything works together. Something akin to this would be great for some ending, where you would feel like you achieve something, but thanks to "DLC culture" some satisfing end is really not trend.

I think The Journey has all of this, music works with scene and when you reach the mouitain and fly, it kind of emotionally broke me. That game has bad situation and great situations so the contrast where you feel hopelessnes and happiness are really good balance and when the credits rolls out. I was like "that was one hell of ride".
I mean this:

Dust: The Elysian Tail has perfect ending song:

It just works so well, with the ending. And back then I know nothing about furry culture, so it was not in my mind.

Ori has suber soundtrack, first one more so than second one. It has melody it has some feel to it and it works really well through the first game perfectly with the context of the game.

Another great example is whole Mass Effect trilogy, so many songs, I cannot post them, because it would be too long.

MGR: Revengeance has killer sountrack which works even with lyrics amazingly with the game. One example which stood out to me with it's lyrics and also creator, trance legend Ferry Corsten is this:

It's from DLC, but that does not matter OST has no weak track and with the gameplay, I was on the edge of the seat the whole time.

I cannot not mention Forza Horizon 3 intro, I can watch it million times and still got the perfect feel of the game.

Also this is not exactly about music, but 'member that moment with giraffe in TLoU, depressing game, but that moment was pure magic.

And many other great examples, but this is what stand out to me. Well Nier: Automata did this good too, but nothing amazing in my opinion.

Also how can I forget about Condemned: Criminals Origins. The main menu theme, set the scene perfectly and works well with the context of the game:

Games are mostly plain with hardly any atmosphere, switch to more orchestral soundtrack with many layers and hardly any feel was a mistake. Well some good examples exist like Nate Theme from Uncharted:

It too does a great job with set the scene and tone of the game.

Maybe I through to the mix Max Payne 3, that games knows what it wants to say and despite being depressive as fuck, it feels like something special. Writing goes hand in hand with gameplay, voice over and theme of the game, everything is coherent.

Maybe I liked Control that much, because of Ashtray Maze and TAKE CONTROL, best moment in the game....in fucking years. Especially "oh fuck some stupid boring puzzle awaits. And then you have amazing setpiece, which I played through many times and still it was badass as fuck."

I want to emotionally stimulated, I don't want to bland game, I don't want to be hopeless all the time or play something which I am playing just because it's a game. Gameplay is important, but hardly any game have coherent vision of what they creating. Many games are hauled like a "writing masterpiece", but same games suffer from lack of something which grabs you and keep you playing. Hardly any game is "experience" which you remember.

It's easy to creaed music with many layers so it sounds big but it's bland, lack melody, atmosphere. I know because I struggle with creating music pretty hard, even though I have something under my belt, for me it's about atmosphere and flow, melody, lyrics...something where you can find yourself (or not, but at least emphasize) and maybe I am too far in the rabbit hole of this music creating mindset.

My message is take it easy, few tones in the right time does far more than some bombastic orchestral music.

Obviously I want to shoehorn Doom 2k16 and Doom: Eternal into this, because without music, that game is...half of what it is with music. But I find music to be samey thoughtout the game and it's nice background stimulant, but it does not have the moments which I would say stands out. But hell of a games.

This is maybe important for next gen, because as you can see there are more examples from PS3/X360 era, then current era. Something changes, gaming industry produces more shallow games, which simply does not grab me. And I don't like it.

Maybe no one cares, but I might not be only one, with this.

Discuss...

Not sure how Death Stranding does not fit into the OP :), regardless of how you may feel about some parts of it (I really like it).

The intro visuals and music set the tone perfectly IMHO and the game does really a good job making me feel immersed in its world thanks to it.

M1chl

Not sure how Death Stranding does not fit into the OP :), regardless of how you may feel about some parts of it (I really like it).

The intro visuals and music set the tone perfectly IMHO and the game does really a good job making me feel immersed in its world thanks to it.
Well yeah, you are kind of right, but writing and tedium of playing it soured me enough, to not included, but sure, I can see it : )

But I don't like it, so my OP is not really objective, obviously : )

can you tell me what games

Dragon Age: Origins. Planescape: Torment.

Alien Isolation. Outlast 1 & DLC. Amnesia. The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter. Stalker.

Vampire: The Masquerade. Mafia 1. Subnautica. Portal 2.

Don't Starve. Hotline Miami. Gone Home. Little Nightmares. This War Of Mine. Transistor. Thumper. The Long Dark. Valiant Hearts.

Detroit: Become Human. Fahrenheit. Heavy Rain. Until Dawn.

First few Diablo games.

First Deus Ex.

The Longest Journey.

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2. Divinity games.

Last edited:
That's what Resident I played first the 5th game and then went back, but only for 4 and then played remakes. But yeah RE5 does the atmosphere good. RE6 lacks this and 7 does not grab me as much.

That's RE REmake!

Wow, that's surprising to hear about RE5, I usually don't hear praise about it's atmosphere. It is atmospheric in its own way, just not the atmosphere I usually want from RE

Faenrir

Designing and creating a good game isn't easy. Making it so well and coordinated with the music is even harder.
But it does seem like many companies treat sound & music like afterthoughts. I'm guilty of this myself but considering i'm just a one man team, i deemed the gameplay and graphics to need more attention. If i had a full team, i'd dedicate at least one spot to a sound designer and work with him on integrating his work with gameplay.

And while i don't think music can make or break a game completely (if gameplay is poor, great music won't save it and if gameplay is great poor music won't ruin it), i believe it can separate good games from masterpieces.
Games like The Witcher 3, Skyrim had great atmosphere for instance and music in both these titles was awesome (Jeremy Soule is a great video games composer, he has worked on Elder Scrolls series and Guild Wars series...not sure who worked on TW3 but it was great as well).
It's really similar to movies. Great scores elevate the scenes.

M1chl

Look into ICO and The Last Guardian. They have a lot of atmosphere. Silent Hill series has as well.
I sadly does not find ICO or The Last Guardian to be good games, but sure they have the tone™ and theme, but it's like with Death Stranding, I don't like it.

Atmosphere is what Zelda games are.
Sadly never played Zelda game in my life, I don't have Nintendo in my life. At all.

Designing and creating a good game isn't easy. Making it so well and coordinated with the music is even harder.
But it does seem like many companies treat sound & music like afterthoughts. I'm guilty of this myself but considering i'm just a one man team, i deemed the gameplay and graphics to need more attention. If i had a full team, i'd dedicate at least one spot to a sound designer and work with him on integrating his work with gameplay.

And while i don't think music can make or break a game completely (if gameplay is poor, great music won't save it and if gameplay is great poor music won't ruin it), i believe it can separate good games from masterpieces.
Games like The Witcher 3, Skyrim had great atmosphere for instance and music in both these titles was awesome (Jeremy Soule is a great video games composer, he has worked on Elder Scrolls series and Guild Wars series...not sure who worked on TW3 but it was great as well).
It's really similar to movies. Great scores elevate the scenes.
Damn you work on some game? Can you share the name or that's too soon? I agreed already with Skyrim and Jeremy Soule. And yes, I Witcher 3 has great sense of theme. Music goes hand in hand with everything. Some games are play boring without music, for example Bayonetta...it's one song when you are fighting, but it fits, it's great and game without it does not work...in my honest opinion.

I personally loved the feeling when playing through Nier Automata, it just got better and better.
And yes, I've mentioned this game in OP : )

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Kuranghi Kuranghi So I've played Ace Combat and it seems like it fits to my OP so far, it's really good, strong impression from me.

Glad to hear it mate, its the most recent thing I could think of that fit your OP. It came out in Jan 2019 but I only played it a few months ago.

I really like how they mix live action video and CGI in the cutscenes as well. I really started to love it after the mission in the canyons.

Top Bottom