• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I struggle with moving an analog stick in circles.

TrueLegend

Man whoever came up with the moves which require you to do a circular motion on your left analouge stick, you can go fuck yourself alright. Worst stuff ever.

I also hate running with analouge pressed downwards. At best i can accept the toggle through L3 but to keep it pressed in continous manner to run is just horrendous.

I wanna get a bucket full of rotten tomotes get these developers tied to a chair and bombard them with it.

Seriously do any one of you find joy on these type of overimaginative play on the control itself.

The Developers need to stop their analouge stick and L3 trigger fetish.

Last edited:
giphy.webp

AlexxKidd

Man whoever came up with the moves which require you to do a circular motion on your left analouge stick, you can go fuck yourself alright. Worst stuff ever.

You're going to have to provide an example.

I also hate running with analouge pressed townwards. At best i can accept the toggle through L3 but to keep it pressed in continous manner to run is just horrendous.

I'm thinking Final Fantasy XV does this? But yeah, it's not great.

SZips

OP, not gonna go to bat for you on the quarter-circle move input stuff. That one is all you.

I will agree with having to click in either of the thumb sticks to do literally anything important. The number of times I've accidentally done something (ran or reloaded, or whatever) in the heat of battle because I accidentally clicked in a stick is just too damn high.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Can you give an example? Do you mean like in fighting games, Street Fighter etc?

Kssio_Aug

I also don't like when games utilizes L3 to run, but that's almost rare nowadays. Used to be much common in the past as well as mashing buttons for QTE.

Nowadays though, I think most devs are aware of that. Some even have an option in the game menu to configure this L3 behavior and skip QTE altogether.

TrueLegend

OP, not gonna go to bat for you on the quarter-circle move input stuff. That one is all you.

I will agree with having to click in either of the thumb sticks to do literally anything important. The number of times I've accidentally done something (ran or reloaded, or whatever) in the heat of battle because I accidentally clicked in a stick is just too...
Not quarter circle. Full circle spin vroom vroom. Like how you get from being stunned in Metal Gear Rising: Revengence. I have been playing Scarlett Nexus and one of the moves requires that kind of input. Its also in many games. Quarter circle move to rotate some wheel is fine but rapidly circling it for a move is bad

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
It does this in dragon's dogma on switch. Imagine pressing the thumbstick on the joy coneverytime you want to run.

Feels like I'm breaking the controller each time

Reactions: Isa

SZips

Not quarter circle. Full circle spin vroom vroom. Like how you get from being stunned in Metal Gear Rising: Revengence. I have been playing Scarlett Nexus and one of the moves requires that kind of input. Its also in many games. Quarter circle move to rotate some wheel is fine but rapidly circling it for a move is bad
Oh. Ehhh... I don't find that to be too terrible. I'd definitely prefer a wiggle motion but I think the circular motion is used so sparingly that I haven't really taken any issue with it yet.

Aldric

I also hate running with analouge pressed townwards. At best i can accept the toggle through L3 but to keep it pressed in continous manner to run is just horrendous.

I wanna get a bucket full of rotten tomotes get these developers tied to a chair and bombard them with it.

Seriously do any one of you find joy on these type of overimaginative play on the control itself.

The Developers need to stop their analouge stick and L3 trigger fetish.
Running by keeping L3 pressed is awful yeah but there's no problem with 360 inputs on the left stick. It allows for more complex moves in action games, adds depth and elevates the skill ceiling.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

I feel

Running by keeping L3 pressed is awful yeah but there's no problem with 360 inputs on the left stick. It allows for more complex moves in action games, adds depth and elevates the skill ceiling.
What skill. Its just annoying as fuck. Rotating a level is complex....in Tom Raider? or hacking in arkham knight? ...Simple activities. What skill does that require. I guess those dont happen in tense situation so you can use right hand and dont get annoyed but that does not increase depth but in combat....hell no. I will say it was a cool aspect in arkham city and knight but still they can be done in a better way with buttons.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

What is the difficult to do a circle with the analog stick?

Can you give us an example?
In Scarlett Nexus you can do heavy damage by turning your pyscokenesis power into a self imposed qte. One of the move requires you to spin continously to do heavy damage. Its probably in Nier too, cant remember but in Metal gear rising it is there to get back from stunning, its also in many games. Its not oftenly used but is usually tied to an scripted event which makes it even more horrendous.

Bragr

Banned
I don't remember which games, but I feel like I have played multiple games that when you get grabbed, you have to spin the joystick around.

But the pressing of the joysticks is by far the worst one, it always feels unnatural.

Aldric

What skill. Its just annoying as fuck. Rotating a level is complex....in Tom Raider? or hacking in arkham knight? ...Simple activities. What skill does that require. I guess those dont happen in tense situation so you can use right hand and dont get annoyed but that does not increase depth but in combat....hell no. I will say it was a cool aspect in arkham city and knight but still they can be done in a better way with buttons.
What do you mean what skill? Rotating the stick opens more gameplay possibilities and demands more effort and precision than just pushing a button. In Mario Sunshine for ex the spin jump is a key mechanic and has a lot of nuance, you can buffer the input during another action, you can do it midair to slow down your fall, you can combine it with Fludd to spray water everywhere etc. You couldn't do all that with simply button presses. Same with action games like Devil May Cry and others.

Diddy X

Kids might like it, me as a kid that was kind of a tense moment when the game asked you to spin the analog, now yeah it sucks along all the QTE basically.

Drew1440

I hate when games want me to mash a certain button as part of a QTE, Always feel like I'm about to break the button itself.
But yeah pushing and holding down the analogue stick to run or crouch is horrible, especially when you have to move the same stick whilst its being pressed down.

TrueLegend

What do you mean what skill? Rotating the stick opens more gameplay possibilities and demands more effort and precision than just pushing a button. In Mario Sunshine for ex the spin jump is a key mechanic and has a lot of nuance, you can buffer the input during another action, you can do it midair to slow down your fall, you can combine it with Fludd to spray water everywhere etc. You couldn't do all that with simply button presses. Same with action games like Devil May Cry and others.
Which devil may cry move ever required this. I am one of the best hack and slash player out there. You only need a little spin not full spin in devil may cry games and certainly not continous spin unless you are talking about that donte game which was made for dumbdown skillset

Bartski

Gold Member
The reason why R3 is the most popular default run controller setting, either toggle (Death Stranding) or press (Returnal, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon etc etc etc) is very simple - the most intuitive and convenient place for movement speed modifier is on the stick that controls movement.

I'd go further to say in actions games where the player is prone to clench the controller hard, no other parameter should ever be controlled with R3 other than run.
Sekiro is a great example where leaving the default crouch on R3 for boss battles is a way to get you killed by accidentally stopping while running.

Last edited:

jm89

I played ffx a few months back and i think lulus overdrive had you doing the circular motion on both(or might be one can't remember) analog sticks, i could never do it properly and got average attack damage, honestly i feel like i would fuck up my analog stick if i did it properly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom