• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I saw a movie. A movie called John Wick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

tumblr_njvt9c4Dit1qg2p2fo1_500.gif

I see this movie talked about a lot on GAF, but since my movie consumption is at an all time low, I never really sought it out. I was listening to a bit of the Bombcast this week and Dan Ryckert, who has a degree in Film Studies, recommended this film and gave a bizarre summary which can be summarized as "Keanu Reeves goes on a killing spree because someone murdered his dog." I thought surely that is not the premise of the movie.

It is.

This is a film that must have been planned half-ironically between a couple of dudes drinking beer and eating chicken wings.

Dude 1: There should be another movie where Keanu Reeves shoots up everyone, like The Matrix.
Dude 2: Who should be in it?
Dude 1: Well, Willem Dafoe of course. And get someone from Game of Thrones. And Ian McShane, the guy from Deadwood. Oh oh, KEVIN NASH.
Dude 2: Awesome. Now set pieces. Some loud night club... a church... it has to rain at one point, right?

So JOHN WICK's wife dies, I'm going to guess from cancer. He's understandably sad. She has arranged that a puppy be delivered to him so he can love again and not grieve alone. Now this puppy is not a Jack Russel terrier or a schnauzer. This is the most stereotypical cute ass puppy you could imagine. Floppy ears and everything. A calculated decision to justify JOHN WICK's upcoming rampage to the audience.

JOHN WICK also has a 69 Mustang. This is important. He goes to get gas one day and Russian Theon Greyjoy and his pals roll up in a rap car. Theon tries to buy the car from him on the spot, but JOHN WICK refuses. Theon is pissed at this, and is even more shaken after JOHN WICK tells him off in Russian. Now, I'm not Roger Ebert, but I've seen enough movies to know that when someone speaks Russian in a movie not directed by Andrei Tarkovsky, it's for a damn good reason and assuredly reveals their connection to some shady shit. Later that night, Theon and his crew break into JOHN WICK's house, rough him up, steal his car, and someone PUNCHES THE DOG TO DEATH.

Theon tries to sell the car to John Leguizamo. The Pest becomes hesitant when he finds out the car belongs none other to JOHN WICK. Luigi goes as far as even punching Theon, the son of his boss. He knows that JOHN WICK is such a badass that he will literally feel no repercussions from doing this action that would forfeit his life in any other situation. When the Russian Mob Boss Dad hears that Theon stole JOHN WICK's car, the dad even gets his son an ass kicking. This is an interesting twist on the revenge formula as typically the bad guys in these action movies are not scared of the hero at all and are in fact openly bold and arrogant. Not this one. He legit fears this almost semi-mythical embodiment of death. After JOHN WICK finds out who stole his car, this becomes the impetus of JOHN WICK's lead farming fantasia.

Throughout the remaining hour of the film, JOHN WICK proceeds to kill damn near everybody. The action in the film is quick and exciting, with a healthy mix of flippy dippy gunkata shit and brutal brains-coming-out-of-skulls coup de graces He only stops to find out more information or chat with his assassin friends. The film actually has some strange LORE behind it. Although we find out that he was just some mafia hitman, it turns out he is part of some elaborate social construct between assassins. They have hang out spots. A code. They pay for everything in pirate gold. I'm sure there's some comic book that fleshes out more, and if not there should be one.

The film has a lot of energy and does not take itself super seriously. It knows the concept is pretty cliche on the surface and absurd in execution but has fun with it. Perhaps the most ridiculous part of the film is the fight Russian Boss and JOHN WICK have at the end. Right before it happened I thought, "Is grandpa really going to fist fight him?" It happened. The entire movie builds up JOHN WICK as an almost mythical wave of destruction, and we are given no indication that gramps has any fighting ability outside of punching people tied to chairs, yet this guy who has seemingly known him for DECADES and has seen him kill dozens of people in the past twenty four hours, decides to solve everything with a mano y mano battle. I just don't get. I was also not a fan of the sound track which was mostly comprised of buttrock, and they used the killing strangers song too many times.

But it was a fun movie. If you go into the movie wanting Keanu Reeves to play a character that's a mix of Neo, Agent 47, and Duke Togo who murders everybody, it's hard to walk away disappointed. I know they are making JOHN WICK 2, which is kind of odd since I'm not sure who he is supposed to murder. Theon's cousin from Russia? Assassin civil war? Italian mafia? Whoever it is, their fates are sealed.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm gunna have to rewatch this today. Brilliant movie. So glad I saw it twice in theaters.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they get the music right in the next movie. That cheesy buttrock was a bit on the cringy side.
Still a damn fun movie though.

I've never seen JOHN WICK but I really want to. I'll want to the missus to sit down and watch it with me, too. If they kill a dog then she'll probably enjoy them getting their comeuppance.

I know they are making JOHN WICK 2, which is kind of odd since I'm not sure who he is supposed to murder.

The guy who kills the dog he bought to replace the first dog, I guess.

This movie kicks ass and I look forward to see more world building in the second film. I loved the subtly of the first movie.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
the biggest problem is that the the movie peaks during the club shoot-out, and nothing after that comes close to the first half or so of the movie. needed a much better climax.

kmfdmpig

I've never understood the critique of "he did it just for a dog". He was a broken man with nothing to live for. The dog was the one thing keeping him decent/normal, so while the dog is what started the whole thing he was a broken man hanging on by a thread before the dog was killed.

John Wick is better, but for those who like it I'd also recommend Equalizer, which while not as good, had some similarities and was also a solid action movie that came out at roughly the same time (and will also have a sequel coming out at roughly the same time as JW2.

Orcastar

gcKTO9s.gif

Baba Yaga, the man you send after the bogeymen

As much as I loved the film, the Baba Yaga thing really annoyed me. In Slavic folklore, Baba Yaga is an old witch who lives in a chicken-leg house in the woods and flies around in a mortar. What the hell does that have to do with John Wick the retired master assassin? They should have called him Chernobog or something instead.

farisr

The full trailer for John Wick 2 should be dropping sometime today (premiering at NYCC around 2-3pm). Hope it delivers.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Now he just needs to go to Indoesia for a job to take out Rama from the Raid films. A few thousand henchman are killed in the process.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm still amazed at the simplicity of this as a catalyst to an amazing action movie. How no one thought of this before just blows my mind.

The entire thing was great. Probably my favorite scene.

"He stole John Wick's car"
"Oh"
"And killed his dog"
"Oh"
*Hangs up phone*

That's it. Nothing else needed to be said.

h3ro

Just bought the bluray on Amazon because I need to watch this movie again. Those gifs man. Oof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom