• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i legitimately think baldur's gate 3 is the greatest RPG ever made, and amongs the best games ever

Cyberpunkd

Go play Morrowind, Gothic 2, Deus Ex, Arx Fatalis, Darklands or some other actual good CRPG.
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

elder scrolls walking GIF by CORSAIR

TrebleShot

I’m about 20 hours in barely scratched the surface and I agree , it gives me dragon age origins/ the Witcher 3 vibes which I haven’t felt in decades.

Careful though you can almost hear the souls and rogue like nerds rushing to their keyboards.

nikos

I hit ALT+F4 during the first battle. Didn't even finish it.

Maybe I should give it another chance. Soon as WASD controlled the camera and mouse controlled the character I knew it was over for me. I see there's a mod for WASD movement now.

Last edited:

Hudo

I mean, it's a pretty good game and I have a lot of fun with it but it's no Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun or Age of Empires II.

BG3 is certainly the best of all the CRPGs of the "CRPG Renaissance".

Once I got over how disconcerting having so much freedom there is the game really started to shine for me.

Not being a DND player I find it weird how much emphasis there is on magic. I haven’t played in melee fashion at all so far. I thought I’d have just one or two magic users, but they are all slinging spells.

Im 12 hours in and I barely know what I’m doing still, but chipping away at the systems is so satisfying.

Shadowheart has the sexiest voice acting ever.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It jumped straight to my top 10 of all time after two back-to-back playthroughs over 150 hours in 4 weeks. 5 hours a day average. I haven't done that with a single player game since I was a teenager. BOTW, RDR2, Elden Ring weren't far off but nothing like this.

The funny thing is that it still has things that can be improved, fixed, added back in, expanded upon over the next few years, which they'll inevitably do. But it still makes the cut despite all that because the good is that good. I'm enjoying my time with Starfield well enough but playing it straight off the back of BG3 has been... interesting.

sigmaZ

Same. I usually don't the non-linearity and walls of text in many CRPGs. Having actual cutscenes for dialog makes all the different in the world.

Thyuda

I agree, BG3 is the first RPG since The Witcher 3 that gives me that fully immersed and invested into the characters feeling, aside from maybe Enderal.

The way they did romance is also very refreshing, I chose (ofc) Shadowheart, and their first "date" was just that, a normal date, human conversation, ended with a kiss, not immediate fucking, just executed perfectly.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

I wonder what Larian will do next. Another medieval high fantasy might be a little too thick after this and Divinity.

I wonder if they'd ever be open to licenses of other tabletop games. Mage The Ascension comes to mind.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Waay too much modern woke/cringe writing to bring it down.
That’s the thing, the game is so good you can overlook the modern D&D stupidity like friendly Drow. That faction does play a role in the story but the rest of the game is so good you can overlook it.

Act 1 is one of the best things I've ever played. I couldn't wait to keep playing more. There's tons of hidden and completely optional quests and even entire areas - I got completely lost in the game and did say it was one of the best of all time. Tons of RP opportunities with actual consequences.

Act 2 though felt like a different game as there is hardly any exploration or dialogue compared to Act 1. You can even spoil the main quest if you do explore early.

The flaws of D&D 5e become clear in a section that is mainly combat as the mechanics are so stripped back compared to Pathfinder. I said on release day that D&D 5e was way better than Pathfinder and for something like Act 1 it is as you don't have to worry about builds or optimization nor which gear is best you just pick something that appeals to you and go roleplay but for me Act 2 was a boring slog as I was essentially unkillable and never had to think tactically. DOS2 on the hardest difficulty has some crazy hard fights even when you know the game inside and out but there was nothing like that here - just do the same thing every turn and win.

If you are not used to CRPGs then Act 2 probably felt like a nice change of pace but it was dull as hell for me outside of a couple of Grade A antagonists.

I've done maybe 10 hours of Act 3 and the city was really disappointing as it feels so small. I think partially my own fault as I was watching lore videos and stuff prior to release so already had probably unfair expectations so I will go back and finish it but will probably wait for the inevitable Director's Cut that Larian always do.

darrylgorn

Yeah, this is the first game I've played where I'm truly compelled to play it over and over with a different type of character, difficulty and even gameplay mode.

Could be years of involvement in my life.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s a great rpg no doubt, but I do not like finite enemies. I like to be able to run around fighting everything over and over if the battle system is great. So really just fact that I love the game despite the finite enemies just says how good it is. 🤷‍♂️

Robb

Gold Member
Looking at the reception I’d assume quite a few agree with you. I haven’t tried it out yet and I’m not sure it’s my cup of tea, but it looks great!

Braag

I'm playing it right now and yeah, it's really good. I don't like turn based combat either but something about BG3 clicks. Maybe it's the abundant variety of classes and fairly cool skills and spells you can unlock.
The main draw for me is the story, characters and the world itself, really well crafted. People who cry how RPGs don't have choices with consequences need to play BG3.

I played early access 80 hours before trying retail.
now the steam timer says 369 hours in game. spread over multiple campaigns. and the good thing about that, it just never feels dull.
Restarting in a CRPG has never been this fun. so i say Yes it is my most played Roleplaying game as well as the best RPG game ever made.
the fact that it compares to Deus Ex/System Shock approach to level design, Rivals Dragon Age, Mass Effect in Presentation and has the most active story in any game in the medium thanks to its approach to reactivity. Honorable mention to Witcher 2 for it is close, but i still think Baldurs Gate 3 beats it. A colossal achievement and i could not be happier for Larian. Well done, Well done indeed.

Flutta

Banned
It didn't click with me. Mostly because it's overwhelming... i just click on stuff without knowing what they do, it gets boring/frustrating at times. Yes yes i know there are tutorials on YT, they are too long and too many i ain't got the time. At least i tried it.

Last edited:

Hudo

I mean, it's a pretty good game and I have a lot of fun with it but it's no Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun or Age of Empires II.

BG3 is certainly the best of all the CRPGs of the "CRPG Renaissance".
Upon further thinking about it, I would still say it's the best of the "CRPG Renaissance". But I am actually not so sure about if it's the best CRPG in general.

It would probably be a tie between Fallout 2 (patched), Arcanum and Baldur's Gate 3.

If we get more general and say "best RPG", it gets even messier for me because I now have to consider Final Fantasy VI, IX, XII, Morrowind, Persona 5 (and 4), Dragon Quest 5, 9 and 11, Deus Ex (probably), Fallout New Vegas, Xenoblade Chronices DE, Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines, Chrono Trigger in the mix.Do we also allow more action-heavy stuff like Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls? Because then it gets even messier.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

It's the best RPG I've ever played to be honest, like true RPG. Top 3 game of all time. It's so good that I'm thinking of making a 2nd run after Starfield. Rarely would i make a 2nd run of a >100h RPG. I think the last time it happened was BG2 in fact, but this is better in every ways.

Larian are gods

Can you even believe that Wizard of the coast initially hesitated to give the license to them after Divinity original sin 1 and they didn't believe in them until DOS2?

Meanwhile they gave the D&D license to Tuque, an indie dev in Quebec known for Livelock (you know the name right? /s) and then they dropped this doozy of a trailer

Wizards of the coast are clowns

Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin

At least now there's no doubts that you can throw every goddamn licenses worth a damn to Larian.

Give them Planescape Torment / Tides of Numenera ASAP. God tier

Fools idol

Banned
Personally hope they get something like Icewind Dale or Neverwinter nights.

Hell, maybe just keep making Baldurs gate sequels and explore the whole fucking forgotten realm

anthraticus

Banned
Please give one example of modern woke/cringe writing in BG3.
You for real ? It didn't do too well on the woke chart..

These younger gens are so acclimated to this cringe already and don't even realize it. sad
0f2cv7U.gif

Last edited:

FireFly

These younger gens are so acclimated to this cringe already and don't even realize it. sad
0f2cv7U.gif
There are no examples of writing I can see in that thread.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It didn't click with me. Mostly because it's overwhelming... i just click on stuff without knowing what they do, it gets boring/frustrating at times. Yes yes i know there are tutorials on YT, they are too long and too many i ain't got the time. At least i tried it.
Yea, outside of retro RPGs. I think I’ll stick to action based. What a time to be alive. The day I prefer action over turn based.

Maybe you should sign up at RetardEra then.

You guys will fit right in with all the sjws there.
Seems to me like you are over reacting, to what is peanuts in the Woke Spectrum. BG 3 is not even close to being woke and believe me i know what wokeness has done to hollywood and games in general. That there are gay couple and sliders that can alter your appearance in a roleplaying game does not make it woke per say. The Game is literally about you as a player having the freedom to do what ever you want. in that sense if you hate wokeness or gays.. you can completely ignore them. or even destroy there relationships. is that woke too? I am unable to comprehend the people that believe bg 3 are woke and it does harm to actual cause of anti wokeness. imo.

DragonNCM

When I see turn based CRPG game it is instant pass for me...never like it & I never play it.
Maybe story is good but for me it is gameplay what meters.

So far to me it seems that BG3 gives you the option to have a woke experience. That’s fine imo. It’s being preached at I hate.

Last edited:

Zathalus

0f2cv7U.gif
I'm not going to give a damn about what some racist asshole says.

Edit: Holy hell, that site is so fucking incel. You have your biog standard racism, misogyny, homophobia and the like, but then you have some retard claiming Margaret Hamilton was a fraud and nothing more then a middle manager. Goes onto claim that there is no such thing as a female programmer. Add onto that the BG3 thread with people complaining that the woman have STR scores that are too high.

Last edited:
Top Bottom