• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I guess we can finally see how important 3rd parties are to consoles versus exclusives.

Call of Duty goes Xbox exclusive?

• Good for the industry

Votes: 40 26.8%
  • Bad for the industry

Votes: 63 42.3%
  • Too soon to see, let's see how it goes

Votes: 46 30.9%

• Total voters
The biggest experiment in the history of the industry is about to be carried out, assuming the Microsoft acquisition of Activision Blizzard clears the gauntlet of the antitrust regulators. For many decades, it was always safe to assume that 3rd party publishers and studios would provide a stream of content for multiple major competing platforms, because it is in their best interests to make their content as widely available as possible.

Today, with the announcement of this acquisition, that assumption is now dead. Antitrust regulators have a pretty solid shot at rejecting this acquisition because of how much content Activision Blizzard controls and potentially withholding all of it from a competing platform is the literal textbook definition of abusing monopoly power. That said, if the acquisition is allowed, then all bets are off. This thread isn't about whether this will now trigger a never before seen wave of industry consolidation as Sony and Microsoft fight to gain control of what used to be major 3rd party publishers and studios to take their content exclusive.

It is, however, about the ramifications of a franchise as large and important to the overall health and success of the games industry as Call of Duty becoming a console exclusive. I don't plan on arguing about whether it's going happen other than Microsoft didn't just spend $69 billion, the largest acquisition in the entire history of the tech industry, to publish games for Playstation. Call of Duty is going Xbox exclusive and if you don't believe this then you are retarded.

So the question becomes: What effect will a franchise as large as Call of Duty going console exclusive likely to have on the health and success of the games industry? I want to say it's bad, because any time you reduce the ability of consumers to access content, you reduce the potential profit and reach of your content. But I also want to say it's good, because if something as huge as Call of Duty goes exclusive, then it will encourage new franchises to emerge and compete and new innovations in development and gameplay to attract consumers who are looking for a replacement for the content they just lost.

Here's a poll, I know you guys love polls. Have at it.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
For many decades, it was always safe to assume that 3rd party publishers and studios would provide a stream of content for multiple major competing platforms, because it is in their best interests to make their content as widely available as possible.

Today, with the announcement of this acquisition, that assumption is now dead. Antitrust regulators have a pretty solid shot at rejecting this acquisition because of how much content Activision Blizzard controls and potentially withholding all of it from a competing platform is the literal textbook definition of abusing monopoly power.

I think you've misled yourself. There's absolutely nothing 'anti-trust' about this acquisition and any regulator would be hard pressed to prove monopoly. Activision-Blizzard releases at most 2 games per year. It doesn't control THAT much content. Post-acquisition, Microsoft gaming will still be behind Tencent and Sony in revenue.

And I don't know if you're new to gaming, but this isn't the first time previously multiplatform games have be locked to one platform by a publisher...usually as a result of cash changing hands. Look to what's happening with the Final Fantasy series, for example.

Cyberpunkd

Today, with the announcement of this acquisition, that assumption is now dead. Antitrust regulators have a pretty solid shot at rejecting this acquisition because of how much content Activision Blizzard controls and potentially withholding all of it from a competing platform is the literal textbook definition of abusing monopoly power.
Of course it is not. Activision content is minuscule in grand scheme of thing.

Non Nintendo exclusives were almost always just interesting for casuals if being highly advertised.

Sony or Microsoft could have 200 exclusives, but if one loses just 5 3rd party games like COD + BF + FIFA + GTA + RDR it's game over.

ZoukGalaxy

Seriously, 10 threads are not enough ?
Oh No 90S GIF by Acorn TV

assurdum

Banned
The biggest experiment in the history of the industry is about to be carried out, assuming the Microsoft acquisition of Activision Blizzard clears the gauntlet of the antitrust regulators. For many decades, it was always safe to assume that 3rd party publishers and studios would provide a stream of content for multiple major competing platforms, because it is in their best interests to make their content as widely available as possible.

Today, with the announcement of this acquisition, that assumption is now dead. Antitrust regulators have a pretty solid shot at rejecting this acquisition because of how much content Activision Blizzard controls and potentially withholding all of it from a competing platform is the literal textbook definition of abusing monopoly power. That said, if the acquisition is allowed, then all bets are off. This thread isn't about whether this will now trigger a never before seen wave of industry consolidation as Sony and Microsoft fight to gain control of what used to be major 3rd party publishers and studios to take their content exclusive.

It is, however, about the ramifications of a franchise as large and important to the overall health and success of the games industry as Call of Duty becoming a console exclusive. I don't plan on arguing about whether it's going happen other than Microsoft didn't just spend $69 billion, the largest acquisition in the entire history of the tech industry, to publish games for Playstation. Call of Duty is going Xbox exclusive and if you don't believe this then you are retarded.

So the question becomes: What effect will a franchise as large as Call of Duty going console exclusive likely to have on the health and success of the games industry? I want to say it's bad, because any time you reduce the ability of consumers to access content, you reduce the potential profit and reach of your content. But I also want to say it's good, because if something as huge as Call of Duty goes exclusive, then it will encourage new franchises to emerge and compete and new innovations in development and gameplay to attract consumers who are looking for a replacement for the content they just lost.

Here's a poll, I know you guys love polls. Have at it.
Seems monopoly now is the biggest experiment of the industry history.

Last edited:

Sweden85

Well, if you buy everything and you can't compete with your rival..you should probably buy more or quit :D

AND... Monopoly sucks and usually turns everything more expensive and bad..

Last edited:

NahaNago

This made me curious as well. We always hear folks moan about cod getting worse every year but tons of people still buy it and the ip/name is very well known so this could convince a lot of folks to buy an xbox. I'm actually more curious over what would happen if fifa was an exclusive:pie_thinking:.

Good for Xbox and Xbox player
Bad for Sony and Sony players
Good for the industry probably, as ATIV needs new leadership, culture and direction, also might accelerate completion in the market.

rolandss

This made me curious as well. We always hear folks moan about cod getting worse every year but tons of people still buy it and the ip/name is very well known so this could convince a lot of folks to buy an xbox. I'm actually more curious over what would happen if fifa was an exclusive:pie_thinking:.
CoD is a massive franchise and while people moan about it getting worse every year in forums, which are basically built for people to moan in, the core game is always fun and going Xbox exclusive will be huge. I have a whole group of friends and a WhatsApp chat group with about 20 people in it who all play modern warfare and all play on PlayStation 4 or 5, though it died down now, we played heaps when it was first out. If future cod titles these guys wanna play are Xbox exclusive I can see a whole lot of them buying Xboxes to do it.

It's fucking terrible, and I say that as someone with zero interest in buying a Playstation or playing anything Activsion Blizzard are putting out in the next couple of years.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I'm confused as to why any Sony gamers would care about COD going to Xbox. The most popular games on PS are, by far, the exclusives. The COD franchise is literally the weakest brand imo to most 3rd party AAA games because it's literally a rehash of the same game every year.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
You know what they say!
When you can’t maintain studios or make new IPs for over 20 years… you buy big party gaming studios.

if you can’t add value to your brand, you take value off from the competition.

All this is funny because MS was the one who relied the most on 3rd parties…

Anyway… maybe this is a good thing? New independent studios will emerge, new IPs?
Wow, today I’m very optimistic :D

NahaNago

CoD is a massive franchise and while people moan about it getting worse every year in forums, which are basically built for people to moan in, the core game is always fun and going Xbox exclusive will be huge. I have a whole group of friends and a WhatsApp chat group with about 20 people in it who all play modern warfare and all play on PlayStation 4 or 5, though it died down now, we played heaps when it was first out. If future cod titles these guys wanna play are Xbox exclusive I can see a whole lot of them buying Xboxes to do it.
Yeah, I wasn't sure how big cod was these days. I'm curious how many copies they sell every year.

NahaNago

Oh it’s massive, but I think sales vary wildly on the title, but all of them sell well. I think 2019s Modern Warfare sold well over 30 million copies.
I was thinking it was in the 20 million range and 30 million were good years

Last edited:
It's hard to tell. I see two possibilities:

1. This is bad for the industry because it sets off a flurry of consolidation. Independent publishers disappear and everything becomes a walled garden. You either buy multiple consoles or you go without key games. Overall levels of innovation and quality decline as everyone converges on the same Netflix model of using varied but mediocre exclusive content to sell subscriptions.

2. This is good for the industry because for the first time since the PS360 generation we have real competition, which will light a fire under Sony's ass to produce more first party content. PlayStation and Xbox will become more differentiated from each other and appeal to different market segments, but overall competition will increase.

As for which is more likely - sadly probably the first.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm confused as to why any Sony gamers would care about COD going to Xbox. The most popular games on PS are, by far, the exclusives. The COD franchise is literally the weakest brand imo to most 3rd party AAA games because it's literally a rehash of the same game every year.
COD is always number 1 or 2 in top downloads of the year for PS store and for the PS5 alone COD took number 2 with Vanguard and 7 with Cold War

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Understand, but just because it's played the most doesn't mean if it's taken away, the PS will suffer. We have so many other games that can fill that void.
Oh I know PS will be fine but COD moves the needle as many casual fans play COD, NBA2k, Fifa and Warzone more than people buy consoles just for exclusives though Spiderman could be the outlier here as he has a much broader appeal

In no way am I saying Playstation is doomed but if COD would happen to be a MS exclusive it will make a difference as that game is a true juggernaut

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Seems monopoly now is the biggest experiment of the industry history.
You need to stop. This isn't monopolistic. I don't think you understand what that means. There may be other grounds that this could go through in antitrust, but monopoly isn't one of them when they don't even hold market share in the very industry they are a monopoly in.

MadPanda

Banned

So the weakest 3rd party brand every year beats in sales the most popular PlayStation exclusives and you're asking why PlayStation players should care? Get real dude.

Woopah

This is not true at all.

For example, of the Top 20 best selling games on PlayStation in the US last year, only 3 were exclusive. And on that top 20 list, Call of Duty takes the 1, 3 and 16 spots.

yurinka

Antitrust regulators have a pretty solid shot at rejecting this acquisition because of how much content Activision Blizzard controls and potentially withholding all of it from a competing platform is the literal textbook definition of abusing monopoly power.
Not sure if you are aware of it: MS+ABK won't be a monopoly in gaming. Or in PC, or in consoles, or in mobile, or in game subscriptions. They won't even be the ones with the biggest market share on these markets.

CoD may or maybe not go exclusive (in fact, pretty likely at least Warzone will continue being multi), but it isn't the end of the world. It's a single game series, that most players don't play.

CoD is one of the best selling games on console every year, and each game sells in both consoles and PC combined around 20M maybe? 30M in its past best selling entries? And what sells each one on the console it may lose it? 10-15M being very generous? If this is the case, then means around 90% of the almost 120M PS4 owners didn't buy it.

These are great sales numbers, but there are gazillions of games more selling in all platforms. When you watch a sales ranking there may be one or two CoD games there, but there are other 10, 20, 50 games there that are also selling well. There is not monopoly at all.

Deerock71

Let's just say I'm sure CoD will permanently lose some market share. Take it from a Nintendo fan that hasn't bought a CoD since the last one that launched on the Wii U. Sony fans will find another shooter, unless Microsoft buys EA, too.

3P sales and revenue accounted for 82% of PlayStation's fiscal revenue last year, so yeah for certain platforms 3P are the lifeblood.

Nintendo is an exception because their games have nowhere near the budgets of Sony or Microsoft's, and they have a cultural cache with many of their IP that almost none of Sony or Microsoft's IP have aside from Spiderman*, Halo and Minecraft.

*Videogame-wise Spiderman's basically a Sony IP at this point

VFXVeteran

Banned
So the weakest 3rd party brand every year beats in sales the most popular PlayStation exclusives and you're asking why PlayStation players should care? Get real dude.
What I"m saying is that it seems to me that Sony gamers value their exclusives more than any 3rd party game - at least on the internet.

I'm not saying that COD doesn't make as much money.. I"m saying that based on what I see on this website, at least, COD is a tired and repetitive franchise - similar to Assassin's Creed. Is it going to be damaging the PS fans? Maybe in the beginning but I think they can get past it (on a "need" basis) and move on to something else.

EDMIX

Understand, but just because it's played the most doesn't mean if it's taken away, the PS will suffer. We have so many other games that can fill that void.

Look...I don't care for this IP as I did 10 plus years ago, but I can't argue against such a chart topper. I truly don't believe it will be an easy task to fill such a void, we've heard this many times mind you, this game will beat COD or this game will dethrone COD etc, yet many haven't been able to do that and its clear they are doing something that is unique enough that such a install base simply isn't easily swayed away from the IP.

The closest thing we got to that imho is APEX and thats free to play, who knows how it would fair as a full priced title as I doubt it was ever getting 100 million players at full price or even near COD numbers.

So from what I've seen, lots say this or that will beat COD, but that is simply something that hasn't occurred which makes me doubt how easy it really would be to fill that void.

Keep in mind, I could be wrong, what if a majority of that COD community really is willing to look else where if it doesn't come to PS next year or something, maybe they like buying COD every year, but not willing to change platforms, buy a different system for 1 game etc, who knows, I personally don't believe gamers buy games by default as I feel its a rude assumption, but I to have a limit of what I'm willing to spend for an IP, as in if a IP I bought before was suddenly on a platform I needed to spend hundreds to play 1 game, I might reconsider if I didn't care THAT much for that IP lol, but the audience we are talking about is a fucking massive one.

Maybe Titanfall 3, Battlefront 3, what ever that new IP Sony is working on with the ex COD team, who knows where the next massive FPS will really come, we'll just have to wait and see how the community reacts to that IP's absence on PS and how many are willing to change entire controller inputs and platforms to play that IP next year.
What I"m saying is that it seems to me that Sony gamers value their exclusives more than any 3rd party game - at least on the internet.

I'm not saying that COD doesn't make as much money.. I"m saying that based on what I see on this website, at least, COD is a tired and repetitive franchise - similar to Assassin's Creed. Is it going to be damaging the PS fans? Maybe in the beginning but I think they can get past it (on a "need" basis) and move on to something else.

Maybe lol

I don't know if I can say value more, I can say that PS community might be the most healthiest install base in gaming. Let me explain.

Its one of the fewest install bases where Sony can move record units of their own games, yet 3rd parties also can move record units, as in the best selling platform for Fifa, Fortnite and Call Of Duty based on this thread is Playstation, but Sony still moves record units of stuff like Spiderman, Uncharted, The last Of Us etc, so its a very competitive market as anyone can get it and the community supports exclusives massively, but they also support 3rd party games massively too, as to why IP like Resident Evil, MGS, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Assassins Creed, Call Of Duty, Fifa, Madden etc all move more units on Playstation.

I do agree that in the beginning will hard, but also believe they can move on to something else and the PS platform might become home to some other big 3rd party AAA FPS title. If we see COD outsold for the first time next year, it will be based on that stupidity of leaving their biggest market to their competitors. Its not just Sony that will take advantage of this, you'll see Ubisoft, EA and many more jump at that void.

kingpotato kingpotato lol I was just about to question that too. COD moves so little units on PC, they literally stopped putting it out on Steam, its mainly a console title in regards to its majority sales.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

Oh I know PS will be fine but COD moves the needle as many casual fans play COD, NBA2k, Fifa and Warzone more than people buy consoles just for exclusives though Spiderman could be the outlier here as he has a much broader appeal

In no way am I saying Playstation is doomed but if COD would happen to be a MS exclusive it will make a difference as that game is a true juggernaut

It will certainly be interesting to see how things pan out once the acquisition is completed. If MS follows the same approach and stance as they have with Bethesda .. I wouldn’t be entirely surprised to see COD eventually become exclusive.

That or it becomes a huge bargaining chip in getting Gamepass on PS … who knows.

MadPanda

Banned

You should realize that this site is not by any means representative of most PlayStation gamer or even average PlayStation gamer. Not just PlayStation but any platform. Assassin’s Creed isn't even close to Call of Duty even though it's big. If we judged by this board then from software games would be the most important games on any platform but that's far from reality. Attachment rate says all about relevancy of any game.

ByWatterson

I don't know, but I just picked up a Series X, and I'm fairly certain like for many people, my PS5 is going to become an exclusives box and the rest will happen on Xbox.

Top Bottom