• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Got the OnePlus 9 Pro... Any OnePlus folks?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
So...I'm coming off the LG V40 and I accidentally cracked my screen when I threw it at my recliner and it hit my keys that were on the seat. It's fine otherwise but I often need to check my phone when it rains out here (and I'm walking home or to work a lot when I get off the bus)... I couldn't risk any rain getting into the phone it shorting out.

So I made the choice to get a new phone. LG just went out of the smartphone business so I had to find something else.

I looked into the Samsung Galaxy S21 but I've had bad experiences with Samsung Galaxy phones (fragile). My only other choice (no, never an iPhone) was the OnePlus 9/9 Pro.

So I went to T-Mobile Saturday and made my choice. And let me tell you... I LOVE THIS PHONE!

I don't have a lot of money but I was able to get it on a 2 yr contract. Anyway...

The phone display is smooth and responsive. 120hz really makes a difference. And from my time digging in the settings, there's A LOT you can customize! More than LG ever did! I'm really enamored by the design, software and whatnot.

How about you guys? Anyone else with a OnePlus phone? What's your experiences? Tips and tricks?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
One PLus 7T here. I had a one plus...4 I think and I liked it but I feel like they werent quite there yet even with the price. I snagged a LG V35 after that for way too cheap since it was a phone that flopped for LG. I am now back on the One Plus train and I am a fan.

The notch/slider on the side that lets you switch from Silent/vibrate/ring is such a small but awesome thing.

I am still stuck on Android 10 then. Not sure whats taking so long for the 11 update to hit my phone. But I blieve a lot of the customization is in that version vs 10.

DESTROYA

How hard did you throw your phone ?
You have to whip your phone pretty hard to crack the screen just tossing your phone on the couch.
Sounds like excuse to get a new phone 😂
But would never buy a phone run by a pure Chinese company, they can all fuck off

Amory

I have the OnePlus 7 Pro. It's a good phone, but I'm not sure if I'd buy another one on my next upgrade. I've had some annoying software issues that I haven't had with previous android phones from Samsung & LG

I do love the display though. When I bought it the 120hz refresh rate was unique but now I think it's starting to become more of a mainstream feature. I also like the pop-up selfie camera, since I barely use the thing and it eliminates any cutout from the screen.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Had a OnePlus 3 -- upgrade to OnePlus 7 Pro a few years ago.

Love OnePlus -- but honestly I'm looking at the Pixel line for my next phone. But honestly, the 7 Pro will last another year or two at least, so we'll see what OnePlus offers then. The appeal to me was always the price point compared to the "flagship" phones. I don't play games on my phone. I don't watch videos on my phone. I just want a phone with dual sim, that I can root / mod / fuck around with. And even then, the root/mod/fuck around with is becoming less important to me the older I get.

Lately OnePlus price has been creeping up into "flagship" territory, and when the difference is only $100/$200, I'd rather go with a brand that's easier to support for.

GymWolf

I had the first one plus and the third one and they were great, now i have a 7 and pretty disappointed by it, probably my last one plus phone.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I had the first one plus and the third one and they were great, now i have a 7 and pretty disappointed by it, probably my last one plus phone.

You probably won't be disappointed in the 9 Pro. I have an LG V40 (paid outright) and it's an amazing phone ... only reason I upgraded is because of the screen being cracked to high heck.

The 9 Pro has been amazing, even more so than the V40.

Why was the 7 disappointing to you?

Pejo

Oneplus fucked me out of a warranty repair after my 7T's battery expanded and destroyed the phone. They said it was my fault for leaving it plugged in charging while I slept. Like I was supposed to set an alarm to wake up at 2AM to unplug the phone or some stupid shit. Fuck them.

I'm still salty about it.

teezzy

Banned
I actually went with the S21 myself and am loving it just as much

Didn't realize just how poorly my S7 Edge was functioning until I replaced it

Very pleased

Glad to hear you're enjoying your phone

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Oneplus fucked me out of a warranty repair after my 7T's battery expanded and destroyed the phone. They said it was my fault for leaving it plugged in charging while I slept. Like I was supposed to set an alarm to wake up at 2AM to unplug the phone or some stupid shit. Fuck them.

I'm still salty about it.

Great thing about this phone... You can charge it 0% to 100% in 29 mins... Leave it off the charger overnight... Then charge it back up in short order in the morning. I got 40% charge in just under 10 mins.

Last edited:

GymWolf

You probably won't be disappointed in the 9 Pro. I have an LG V40 (paid outright) and it's an amazing phone ... only reason I upgraded is because of the screen being cracked to high heck.

The 9 Pro has been amazing, even more so than the V40.

Why was the 7 disappointing to you?
Because the gyro work like shit so when i turn the phone i have to wait for the change in ratio, the gps is trash and google browser is fucked up (it always freeze) and they never fixed it.

The camera is also mediocre.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Because the gyro work like shit so when i turn the phone i have to wait for the change in ratio, the gps is trash and google browser is fucked up (it always freeze) and they never fixed it.

The camera is also mediocre.

Dang bro! I'm sorry you went through that! Smh

GymWolf

Dang bro! I'm sorry you went through that! Smh
Maybe mine was faulty since birth, but i don't have much trust in oneplus anymore...

But tbh, they really are the only good alternative to the usual big boys like apple and samsung, huawei doesn't have the play store and the other chinese brands are whatever, so high chances that my next phone is still gonna be a oneplus.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Maybe mine was faulty since birth, but i don't have much trust in oneplus anymore...

But tbh, they really are the only good alternative to the usual big boys like apple and samsung, huawei doesn't have the play store and the other chinese brands are whatever, so high chances that my next phone is still gonna be a oneplus.

Well feel free to ask me anything about my experience with the 9 Pro. I'll tell you as much as I can ... I'm pretty satisfied with it so far after about 2 weeks now.

Top Bottom