• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i don't get this new trend...and it's driving me nuts

nkarafo

Currently playing through Atomic Heart. There is a lot of talking plot between your character and Charles the Glove.

I love how they desperately try to find ways for the main character to be able to talk or listen to someone else talk, even when they are alone. It used to be someone talking to you through coms but now they even make random objects that you carry all the time talk. Forspoken has talking bracers, Atomic Heart has talking gloves. High on Life has a talking gun. Talk, talk, talk, devs seem to really love talking. I don't know what it is, maybe the audio departments try to leech more of the budget or justify their existence?

At least they could have good writing for all that talk, i have no issues in Portal 1/2 with all the constant talking because the writing is good and funny. But these games are the only ones i can think of where i actually like the constant chat. That and maybe Starfox 64. Literally nothing else. Every other game with constant talk annoys me to no end. Thankfully, most games have mute and use text/subs only. Sorry audio designers, you need to do better.

Anyway, just give me more Elden Ring and Metroid Prime 1 and i will be fine. Give me sweet silence. Just stfu.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It seems we just cant think for ourselves while playing games anymore, there must be guiding voices and augmented reality waypoints that literally reveal everything behind the walls because our feeble senses of sight and hearing are just not enough for such complex gameplay features like basic level exploration.
Yeah that shit is the worst, and it's probably a result of bad visual design when developers care more about the graphics than the gameplay. Game worlds become so cluttered that everything blends together and they have to tell you where to go or what to interact with via the UI. It's shit, and boring.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Depends on the game, when you’re playing a Zelda game you get a ton of hints from Fi, Navi, or Midna. I think people want dialogue in naughty dog games.

JCK75

It's horrific.. also I have to play games elden Ring offline because they thought it was a good idea to let other people put notes all over your game.. and assholes always put it in front of something you need to do sometimes with great haste.. dying because I'm trying to flip a switch and get out but it just keeps reading some assholes message. Just let us be in our own gaming experince without all of the chatter.

Last edited:

SHA

There should be an option for disabling talking with yourself, I'm not biased but men seem to be better at this like Geralt , he only talks when it matters.

Anyone remember that game were you constantly got codec calls from your girlfriend about WHAT DAY IT IS.

I don't know Rose I'll think about it while I'm dismantling a nuclear warhead.

Top Bottom