• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hypothetical: Would you buy any of the three next gen consoles if..

koam

every time a game on the 360 was released, it would come out on the Xbox on the same day, ps3 games would come out on the ps2 the same day and Rev would come out on the Cube the same day. Imagine the Rev controller also worked on the Cube, so rev games that were ported onto the cube also used the Rev controller. And for the sake of argument, Nintendo sent everyone with a registered cube a free rev controller so you wouldn't have to buy it.

So basically, all games next gen also worked on this gen but with inferior graphics; gameplay was identical.

Would you buy the next gen consoles or would you stick with this gen and use the money for something else (more games or whatever).

By the way, the next gen games would all cost $10 more on the next gen consoles, but normal prices on this gen.

Amir0x

Banned
I'd adopt the next-gen consoles like anything else, 'cause they're still gettting the better products.

But since it's hypothetical and never, ever going to happen what's the point?

Speevy

Banned
No, I'm pretty sure I'd still want next-generation consoles.

Do you really want Metal Gear Solid 4 on PS2 hardware? UGH.

It's just a thread to see if you're a graphics whore. Yes, I am and would buy a new system just for the pretty graphics.

Speevy

Banned
cubicle47b said:
It's just a thread to see if you're a graphics whore. Yes, I am and would buy a new system just for the pretty graphics.

Forget graphics whores.

No one in their right mind should want shimmering, aliased games for the next 5 years.

Dumb thread.

Mihail

Banned
Amir0x said:
Haha.

As for the original post, I wouldn't buy the new consoles. I'm fine with playing games on current gen consoles, and if there are not going to be any new gameplay ideas, I would have no need for them. I'm pretty tight on money, though. If money wasn't an issue, I'd probably buy the new gen console(s) anyway.

Mooreberg

If the new systems can't deliver games that are technically beyond what current gen systems can handle, than they've all failed miserably.

koam

Amir0x said:

Because I'm sick of these Rock, Paper, Scissor battles between PS3, Rev and X360 every time someone mentions a next gen console. I'm tyring to get a less troll-infested view of if people still care about graphics as much as they used to.

I would probably still stick with this gen games, and build up my library more. Maybe, i'd pick up one of the consoles (360 since I have no xbox). I don't care about graphics all that much anymore. Last gen, I did because PSX/N64 were attrocious most of the time, but i'm really happy with the current gen graphics and I'd rather stick with this gen longer if the next-gen games were all also available on this gen consoles.

koam said:
I would probably still stick with this gen games, and build up my library more. Maybe, i'd pick up one of the consoles (360 since I have no xbox). I don't care about graphics all that much anymore. Last gen, I did because PSX/N64 were attrocious most of the time, but i'm really happy with the current gen graphics and I'd rather stick with this gen longer if the next-gen games were all also available on this gen consoles.

Once next gen really gets going you're going to see that the games that are coming out are something that couldn't be replicated on current consoles. Not even if you dumbed the graphics down significantly. The physics and everything will be far above what this gen is capable of.

Speevy

Banned
These consoles are limited, even within their own generation.

The PS2's textures, lighting, and IQ are bad, and polygon counts for individual characters tend to be on the low end.

The Xbox, while technically able to handle many great PC effects, has framerate problems and terrible load times on many of them. (like Far Cry Instinct, Deus Ex, KOTOR)

The Gamecube has an inferior storage format and low RAM.

All of those consoles would fail and the market would crash. Most people aren't gonna wanna spend $400 on system that has the same games as current consoles. If that happened, I probably wouldn't buy a next-gen system until one of them dropped to $100.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
A better question might be, would you buy a PSX version of PS2 game?

And the answer would still be no.

Servizio said:
A better question might be, would you buy a PSX version of PS2 game?

And the answer would still be no.
now with visual aids!

243542.jpg
226097.jpg

Jiggy

koam said:
So basically, all games next gen also worked on this gen but with inferior graphics; gameplay was identical.

Would you buy the next gen consoles or would you stick with this gen and use the money for something else (more games or whatever).

By the way, the next gen games would all cost $10 more on the next gen consoles, but normal prices on this gen.
Same gameplay, but less money? No way I'd buy a Revolution, then. (PS3 would remain an option just because the PS2 still has problems with graininess. Not that I have a PS2 or would pay $400+ for a PS3, but still.) GC/X-Box graphics are already at a point where they're clean, which is more or less all I ask for. If it's got anti-aliasing and it isn't ugly, I don't need anything else.

Amir0x

Banned
koam said:
Because I'm sick of these Rock, Paper, Scissor battles between PS3, Rev and X360 every time someone mentions a next gen console. I'm tyring to get a less troll-infested view of if people still care about graphics as much as they used to.

But it's pointless. Next-gen systems are going to have unique, exclusive games... and it is going to be able to do many things current gen can't. Visuals play an important, if not integral role in the proceedings... how can someone dismiss it? It's the second closest connection we have to the game aside from the controller/input, and thus any advancement/improvement in them can only be seen as a must.

So in the end, why speculate? If you wanted to know this question, you should have just posed it simply: "Do people still care about graphics like they used to?" The thread is not going to be any more or less troll infested than usual no matter how you posed it.

Top Bottom