• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter: Nen X Impact - Official Reveal Trailer

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
giphy.gif

I'm currently rewatching Hunter X Hunter (2011)......But good anime doesn't alway make good game.

SnapShot

Is this one also going to be japan exclusive? gonna have to wait for gameplay first then see how well it turns out.

Last edited:

mdkirby

So much this.

Make an adventure, an rpg, anything else really.
Well, I was gonna watch the trailer, hoping it was an action adventure or rpg. Saw this comment, so I’ll pass on the trailer 🤣. Such a disappointment. Of all anime, hunter X is one that is most primed for an epic adventure. Oh well. I wish Sony would gobble up actual IP ownership for more anime as opposed to mostly distribution. They have some teams that could really do some anime games justice.

Dzab

Please stop making Anime into arena fighting games. HxH has a amazing world building and it’d fit so much better as an RPG.
I think this was rumoured a few weeks back to be a legitimate 3v3 fighter like MvC etc. I'd happily take that any day over an arena fighter.

[Sigma]

I'm cautiously excited(already knew this was rumored). I really hope it's not an arena fighter(currently betting that it is not). 8ing is pretty cool. HxH is probably my favorite shonen ever even though it's not even finished. I do feel for those who would want an rpg type game in that universe, that would be cool too.

Last edited:
As I opened the thread I was begging to not read ‘fighting game’…

giphy.webp

I'm cautiously excited(already knew this was rumored). I really hope it's not an arena fighter(currently betting that it is not). 8ing is pretty cool. HxH is probably my favorite shonen ever even though it's not even finished. I do feel for those who would want an rpg type game in that universe, that would be cool too.
Well, I was gonna watch the trailer, hoping it was an action adventure or rpg. Saw this comment, so I’ll pass on the trailer 🤣. Such a disappointment. Of all anime, hunter X is one that is most primed for an epic adventure. Oh well. I wish Sony would gobble up actual IP ownership for more anime as opposed to mostly distribution. They have some teams that could really do some anime games justice.
The crazy thing is that HxH has an entire arc on an island that is built for it’s own RPG video game experience.

Oh well, anime fans keep buying these fighting games so it’s an endless cycle. The one thing I do miss about early 2000s handhelds was the fact that all of the good and experimental anime video games usually went to those systems. It was like a perfect counterbalance to the nonstop bargain bin fighting game releases you’d see every year.

laynelane

giphy.gif

I'm currently rewatching Hunter X Hunter (2011)......But good anime doesn't alway make good game.

lol I was thinking the same thing in terms of coincidence. I'm re-reading the manga. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this game. There's a lot of variety in Nen powers so it could be pretty interesting to see what they come up with.

EDMIX

giphy.gif

Truth.

I fucking love the show, but that game will be trash lol Its like....make a damn open world RPG about fighting and them going on adventures and I might give a fuck.

The concept of a lot of those fight shows is usually about some fighter building their skills, getting stronger, meeting new friends, going to different places and fighting some new bad guy. For that concept to translate to game, it must be some type of RPG where they are going from location to location.

They are not beating Tekken, no one here thinks that shit will be better then Smash Bros annnnnnd they need to stop doing this crap lol Those anime fighting games 99.9% of the time suck.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Truth.

I fucking love the show, but that game will be trash lol Its like....make a damn open world RPG about fighting and them going on adventures and I might give a fuck.

The concept of a lot of those fight shows is usually about some fighter building their skills, getting stronger, meeting new friends, going to different places and fighting some new bad guy. For that concept to translate to game, it must be some type of RPG where they are going from location to location.

They are not beating Tekken, no one here thinks that shit will be better then Smash Bros annnnnnd they need to stop doing this crap lol Those anime fighting games 99.9% of the time suck.
Unfortunately its very rare licence anime games being good, even they do make RPG or action adventure game it follow same set up as their movie versions and be nothing more than side story that doesn't really advance the main plot.

I would have loved one day we get really good One Piece game that about going open sea and exploring.

Pejo

Unfortunately its very rare licence anime games being good, even they do make RPG or action adventure game it follow same set up as their movie versions and be nothing more than side story that doesn't really advance the main plot.

I would have loved one day we get really good One Piece game that about going open sea and exploring.

I enjoyed the Fairy Tail RPG. It wasn't great by any means, but it had enough callbacks from the show and enough to do in the game world that I felt like it wasn't pure trash. I think that type of game would be better than another arena fighter specifically for HxH. The tournament 1v1 arcs are always my least favorite in anime after DBZ pretty much did it first and did it so much that I never needed to see it again.

That reminds me that I own but still haven't played the Kill la Kill fighting game, which was supposedly one of the best ones.

Doom85

Truth.

Dragonball FighterZ was considered by many to be one of the best fighting games of last gen.

And no, they don’t HAVE to be RPGs. Hell, that’s the appeal of a good fighting game for an anime, getting to have all sorts of match ups that didn’t occur in canon.

The problem is most anime fighting games aren’t really proper fighting games like FighterZ was, but mid to bad arena brawlers designed mostly for casuals which means fans might pick them up but rarely stick with them for long because there’s not much depth there.

The developer Eighting, well, it’s hard to say what they’re planning here. They have worked with Capcom and Arc System Works to make Marvel vs Capcom 3 (and Ultimate) and DNF Duel respectively. But they also worked on a bunch of Naruto arena brawlers.

The trailer seems to imply it will be a 3 v 3 gameplay. I might be wrong here, but aren’t most arena brawlers 1 v 1? So maybe that means this will be a proper fighting game. But it’s too early to tell.

Regardless, a solid proper fighting game, a solid RPG, or a solid action/adventure game, would all be amazing for HxH. Anyone should agree with that unless they’re biased against a game genre.

zapper

Are the platforms really unknown? from the poor 3d models I would say it is mobile...

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
What do you mean? Behold the power of modern anime!

F0SYvLeXgAE-GDr
That's actually my favourite scene in the whole series (99) was thinking about it yesterday. 2011 aired on Saturday mornings as a children's show until they Chimera Ant aired then it was on at 9pm I think. They rushed the show to get to Chimera Ant.

Majukun

What's the appeal of HxH?

Yu Yu Hakkusho is the superior anime and deserves another game

tons of text and the willingness of the author to make something different (albeit not always better) makes readers feel smart :messenger_tears_of_joy:

partial jokes aside, it's a good series, but i also find it immensely overrated in many aspects

yyh starts as the most boring and banale shonen you will ever read, but has what's likely the best tournament arc in any manga....never read the last saga though

Saber

Gold Member
What's the appeal of HxH?

Yu Yu Hakkusho is the superior anime and deserves another game

Honestly no idea.
I like the characters and the story is great at start but them suddenly it becomes a drag, unexpected boring and forced.

Yuyu Hakusho is great from start to end.

MagnesD3

That's a nice opinion. Which Youtuber gave it to you?
Lol im 32 im probably older than you haha so Im not from the generation that only percieves things through others, that said I tried to watch the 1998 version after the 2011 version just to see what I was missing since I often prefer the style of older anime in tone and gritty artstle. The VA work of the dub was pretty bad but I did like the slightly deeper sound of Kurapikas voice since I think it fits him better.

The one thing thats crazy they cut in 2011 thats in the 1998 version (and why I recommend people watch episode one of 1998 before starting 2011) is the Kite stuff and Gons backstory setup, its so much better in 1998 and pivotal to getting invested in the story, the first time I watched hxh I almost bounced off since the first few episodes of 2011 didnt give me a reason to care and flew at a breakneck speed, luckily I stuck it out and now HxH is my 3rd fav anime (if they ever finish it will probably be #1 but who knows if that will ever happen).

Last edited:

Fbh

Looks like another boring arena fighter.
No thx

tons of text and the willingness of the author to make something different (albeit not always better) makes readers feel smart :messenger_tears_of_joy:

partial jokes aside, it's a good series, but i also find it immensely overrated in many aspects

yyh starts as the most boring and banale shonen you will ever read, but has what's likely the best tournament arc in any manga....never read the last saga though

HXH, specially the second half, has always struck me as a story that would work better as a novel than a manga.
The art isn't particularly strong, it's very text heavy for an action/adventure story and many of the fights (at least in the manga) are like 50% text boxes explaining complicated abilities and what every character is thinking every second.

Please stop making Anime into arena fighting games. HxH has a amazing world building and it’d fit so much better as an RPG.

Yup. It's a shame as many anime have cools worlds that would work great in other genres.
Imagine an RPG based on HXH where you create your own character, you get deep ability customization based on your nen type, there's a cool world to explore and an interesting original story. Even Naruto would be cool as an action RPG with a new character and story.
Or like a Platinum style character action game based on Demon Slayer or Bleach

Instead it's almost all boring arena fighters.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Lol im 32 im probably older than you haha so Im not from the generation that only percieves things through others, that said I tried to watch the 1998 version after the 2011 version just to see what I was missing since I often prefer the style of older anime in tone and gritty artstle. The VA work of the dub was pretty bad but I did like the slightly deeper sound of Kurapikas voice since I think it fits him better.

The one thing thats crazy they cut in 2011 thats in the 1998 version (and why I recommend people watch episode one of 1998 before starting 2011) is the Kite stuff and Gons backstory setup, its so much better in 1998 and pivotal to getting invested in the story, the first time I watched hxh I almost bounced off since the first few episodes of 2011 didnt give me a reason to care and flew at a breakneck speed, luckily I stuck it out and now HxH is my 3rd fav anime (if they ever finish it will probably be #1 but who knows if that will ever happen).
I'm 33. I watched 1999 and thought it was bad and I was a 16 year old moron at the time then 2011 came out and that was like... Way worse. 2011 is just a product to be consumed with no real love or passion in it, yeah more prolific seiyuu are included but whatever. I'd rather have Naruto's seiyuu for Gon than a Nepo baby debuting. Rewatching HxH 1999 during COVID and being more well versed in Japanese media I was enthralled and amazed at the quality. I don't do top 10 lists but I rate 99 EXTREMELY highly, I'd give HxH 2011 5/10 at best, if I want the manga content I'll just read it.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

I'm 33. I watched 1999 and thought it was bad and I was a 16 year old moron at the time then 2011 came out and that was like... Way worse. 2011 is just a product to be consumed with no real love or passion in it, yeah more prolific seiyuu are included but whatever. I'd rather have Naruto's seiyuu for Gon than a Nepo baby debuting. Rewatching HxH 1999 during COVID and being more well versed in Japanese media I was enthralled and amazed at the quality. I don't do top 10 lists but I rate 99 EXTREMELY highly, I'd give HxH 2011 5/10 at best, if I want the manga content I'll just read it.
To be honest I prefer the mangas story execution over either version tbh both animes are flawed in some regard. Even if I really enjoyed 2011 cutting the Kite stuff is just batshit. I will agree that the older Anime looks and feels way more gritty/mature than how deadpan clean 2011 can feel at times, I do wish modern anime could return to the older 90's styling in this way but Im afraid its gone for good.

NeroDaGod

Looks like another boring arena fighter.
No thx

HXH, specially the second half, has always struck me as a story that would work better as a novel than a manga.
The art isn't particularly strong, it's very text heavy for an action/adventure story and many of the fights (at least in the manga) are like 50% text boxes explaining complicated abilities and what every character is thinking every second.

Yup. It's a shame as many anime have cools worlds that would work great in other genres.
Imagine an RPG based on HXH where you create your own character, you get deep ability customization based on your nen type, there's a cool world to explore and an interesting original story. Even Naruto would be cool as an action RPG with a new character and story.
Or like a Platinum style character action game based on Demon Slayer or Bleach

Instead it's almost all boring arena fighters.
You’ve literally described is my dream game.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Haters can suck a dick.

UMvC3 developer making a 3v3 fighter based off one of the top 5 manga/anime of all time!? Praise be. This is a literal dream game for kid me I never thought I’d get.

But dreams tend to get crushed so it’ll either be an arena fighter or have ass cheeks net code. I liked DNF duel they worked on quite a lot but it needed more patches and love to cook fully.

I’m hoping it’s a wild umvc3 like and has insane broken shit like phoenix.

Top Bottom