• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How often do you buy games at launch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sushen

How often do you buy games at launch and what was the latest one you bought? Do you pre-order games?

I used to buy at least a new game each month, I find myself rarely buy games at full price anymore nowadays. AC Valhalla was the last full priced game from last November. There seems no pre-order discounts anymore, I noticed too.

Kuranghi

Hardly ever, but really only because I have other things to play all the time, I just went back to Diablo ffs, a game I put 1000s of hours into, my backlog will never be at a point where I buy all games day one. Which is good for the wallet so I'm winning:

Baby Success GIF

DisgustingUniformBee-size_restricted.gif

I think the last AAA game I bought at launch was The Witcher 3 and I got that for $20 or something. I occasionally buy indies at launch though.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
It depends on the platform. I'm a cheap bastard and always want a deal if I can find one. For PC I only play new games if they are part of a service or I can find a steam key or something cheap. I plan to buy as many used PS5 games as I can instead of blowing 70 bucks on something that might suck. For Nintendo I tend to buy new at launch because prices never drop and they usually are worth it.

Plantoid

Last time was dark souls 3 and GTA V...
Gamepass is like magic, since I got the xsx I only bought the rise of tomb raider, on sale

Soodanim

Last year I pre-ordered RE3 Remake. That was because I got a pre-order discount through GreenManGaming, so it was about £40 all in.

There's no way in hell I'm ever paying £70 for a game, so that average of one a year is going to drop.

sackings

Way less than i used to. Prices are too high, imo, even for older games. TEW2 is fucking full price on PSN right now. I already own the game, but wtf is going on there? 89.99 for new ratchet? Yeah I can wait a year

Games I bought right at launch: RDR 2, Witcher 3, MGS V, Monster Hunter World, Nier Automata, Mortal Kombat X, first TLOU, Deus Ex Mankind Divided (biggest mistake), Fallout 4 (second biggest mistake), Dark Souls games, Bloodborne, GTA V etc etc

Now with this god awful pricing (80€), it’s gonna take something special to dish out (read: GTA VI, FF XVI, GT 7, maybe even Diablo IV).

Three

Not very often but I bought Cold war at launch and Sony's refund policy made me regret it instantly. The split screen was unplayable. Crashed every game. Contacted support to get a refund in December. 4 months later and still no refund. Support say they pushed a fix this month and support kept asking me to check it (which I did) like I'm QA for Activision. Meanwhile I couldn't play the game, price dropped considerably and I still didn't get my money.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Very rare for me. Waste of money, and games hardly launch in the best state these days.
It would REALLY have to be a game that i was super excited for. Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 5, Starfield, those are probably the only upcoming games that i would buy on launch, and yes i recognize they are Bethesda games and will probably be bug riddled.

3-4 times a console generation. It is a rare game indeed that I am willing to buy day 1. Most of the time I just don't trust the hype until I've seen the goods.

Somewhere between 5-10 games a year at full price, launch day. My annual budget for games is $1,200 and I rarely spend that much. Game caliber also varies: full price is sometimes $20-$30 for non-AAA releases, but those would fit your definition. AAA games? Rarely do I buy more than 5 a year at full price.

2021 will likely be a down year, mainly due to most everything slipping to 2022.

SkylineRKR

Perhaps 3 or 4 a year lately. Mostly Sony exclusives that don't drop fast anyway. Like GoT. But I bought TLOU2 used and Death Stranding for 25 bucks 2 months post launch. My next game will be Resident Evil.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I preorder any Halo game and any Bethesda RPG and that's about it, anything else I buy when I run out of stuff to play. Now that I have Game Pass I don't often run out of stuff to play.

MiguelItUp

I didn't realize this is a dupe of another thread. I thought my memory was disappearing cause I swore I commented and couldn't see it, lmao.

Aenima

Between 0 to 4 times a year, depending of the games and how hyped i am to play them, but is something that i do less than i used to do, in past gens i purchased alot of games at launch, but now i have so many stuff to play in my backlog that new games can wait for a price drop. This year still havent bought any game at launch.

Dark Star

Rarely. The last game I paid full price for was Uncharted 4.

I'm just not hype enough for most games that I need to play them ASAP. Only guaranteed exceptions for me are Naughty Dog, FromSoftware, and maybe Rockstar.

I usually wait until around 50% reduced price (like 30 bucks) before buying a typical AAA title. TLOU Part 2 fell into this purchasing decision for obvious reasons.

I'm usually late to gaming for the most part, so I don't mind waiting for even deeper flash sales on PSN, like a couple year old AA/AA games under 20 bucks.

It's always a balance of quality over quantity. Even if I did snatch up every new release day-1, I simply would not have enough time to play them. It's best to space things out and save money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom