• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Much Sleep Do You Get Each Night?

How Much Sleep Do You Get Each Night?

• Total voters

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
4-6 hours. I try to be asleep (not in bed, but asleep) by midnight and awake by 5am. On fasting days, 5 hours of sleep is enough. 6-7 hours is nice when you have a lot of chores to do and/or if you're pushing hard in fitness goals. I try to respect sleep as an important resource, but I don't get grumpy if I don't get my perfect # of hours. That's what tea and raw cacao are for.

MetalAlien

Banned
less than 4, was always the first awake and last to sleep among friends and family

you don't want whatever i got, it's a fucking nightmare
"I have a dream most nights. It starts on a playground. There's kids swinging, laughing, dogs barking, butterflies just flapping their little wings. And then you hear a rumbling, and over the horizon comes a black cloud and it's made of cancer and pus. And it starts sweeping over the playground and everyone starts screaming and clawing their eyes and pulling at their hair, and saying "Help! What do we do?" And you know what happens next? Out steps me wielding the biggest fucking shotgun you've ever seen in your whole life. And you know what I do? I blow every fucking thing away. And I am getting God's work done."

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just about always between 7 ~ 9 hours for me when at home.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sleep quality is more important than total hours, in my opinion. Maybe it's from raising kids, but I had to learn to string together 2-hour naps as a "sleep schedule" for several months at a time, for four kids now. In those circumstances, it helps to eliminate all those factors damaging your sleep quality while adding in as many (reasonable) things to improve the sleep quality. 4 hours of my sleep are superior to 9 hours of passed-out-after-drinking sleep.

sometimes ya gotta throw raw hours at a sleep problem, though. Don't hesitate to go for 9 hours solid for an entire week if you need a universal reboot.

Ironbunny

Usually around 8 hours at workdays. I may slay sleep from 10-12 hours when off and longest sleep I've had has been 28 hours. Done that few times. I think I feel best rested with the 8 hours sleeps and when I go over 10 hours I feel worse. Its different when there is actual need for the sleep like after a long hike or work month.

edit: I wonder how we differentiate from animals in all as I've read that lions sleep from 16-20 hours a day. Dolphins on the other hand can sleep by turning other half of their brain to snooze mode and go by their day with the other.

Last edited:

Jethalal

Banned
less than 4, was always the first awake and last to sleep among friends and family

you don't want whatever i got, it's a fucking nightmare
Brother try getting at least 6-7. Try for a week at least and see the benefits. You don't seem to be very old so you need more sleep. Try to manage by shifting certain priorities, it's very important.

Tesseract

Banned
Brother try getting at least 6-7. Try for a week at least and see the benefits. You don't seem to be very old so you need more sleep. Try to manage by shifting certain priorities, it's very important.
i'll try, m8

my dreams are tuned to 11, accurately recalled w / sound and color

a few hours feels like an eternity, like a forever war

far be it from me to understand what's happening, i described some of this stuff in the mental health thread and would rather not frighten people w / some of the ultra violent imagery and prisonlike dream states

4-6 hours.

I'm in bed before midnight and up at 7, but I have a house rabbit that wakes up at 5, by jumping on my head from the bedside table until I give him treats, which repeats on and off for the next couple of hours.

This is further exacerbated currently due to him wanting to sleep up against me under the covers in cold weather, which both wakes me up and necessitates my having to use pillows to keep me in place, so that I don't accidentally roll on him, which means I'm less comfortable and wake up more.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Voted 4-6. Sometimes fewer. I have trouble sleeping. Always have. Too much on my mind good and bad.

This covid period has been rough. My workload more than tripled and I’ve lost my exercise regiment as a result. Well behind on work and burnt out. Been incredibly stressful, wake up often. Will get through it. No self pity only motivation.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Generally about 6-7 but it’s always broken. I’ve a small child who generally goes to sleep about 7:30 then I relax by playing games or watching tv or studying new technologies for work or certifications for a few hours. Sleep about 22:30 or 23:00. The little one then usually wakes about 2 or 3 am and comes in to our bed to sleep. It’s a bad habit but she will not go back to sleep in her own room after that. I don’t know how you other parents do it. Plus I have the bladder the size of a fucking peanut so always need a leak at night time :messenger_tears_of_joy: I’d love to get more sleep but I always feel like I have to little hours in the day as it is. I think 6-7 hours is fine for most people. 9 is just flat out ridiculous, that’s like a toddler amount /j (I would love a straight 9 hour sleep)

Tesseract

Banned
i dont understand how people sleep 4 hours. Unless they are also sleeping during day hours
Your body cant handle that simply. You are not superman , i believe all of them are lying or day-sleeping lol
FLrgJuX.png

mekes

Used to get 8-9 hours, but since becoming a dad in late February last year it’s now 6-7 with 2-3 wake ups.

And if there was one thing I would change in my life right now, it’s to get good uninterrupted sleep.

One night....

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Seems like the majority who voted are sleeping well. 6-8 is not bad. My wife and I share similar work schedules and the same alarm. The only night I'm up later is Saturday. All other nights (unless it's holiday), we turn off the TV at 11:30 and get up at 7:30.

Last edited:
7 to 7.5 hours is ideal for me

I don't notice a difference going for 8+

I drink a bit of caffeine in the afternoon, usually as I get off work but never in the morning as I've always been able to get up and do whatever I need to just fine.

edbrat

Good quality sleep is more beneficial than you think, and poor quality sleep fucks you up more than you think. Walker’s (guy in the op) book sets it all out and was pretty revelatory for me, improving your sleep is one of the more accessible ways to seriously improve your day to day i’ve pretty much forced anyone i give a shit about to read it:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Some days less some days more. I slept like 10 hours today. Some days its only 4 or 5 (when I'm on some caffeine). Some days in between those two extremes. I guess it all averages out. Usually sleep more when I eat more/enough or its my day off. didn't do anything all day lol can't sleep on an empty stomach tho

borborygmus

I have GERD that doesn't respond to treatment or dietary changes (it's a mechanical issue in my case, I have gastroparesis due to an injury) and ridiculously loud and obnoxious neighbors. I wish I could sleep 8 hours but realistically it's like 4-5. It's not sustainable. I try to get short naps during the day but overall I'm in a downward spiral.

teezzy

Banned
I wake up at 8 or 9 am and often fall asleep around midnight-ish or no later than 2:30.

Getting 6-8 hours is easy.

Top Bottom