• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

how much of an improvement is the Series X/S controller over the XB1 pad?

McGILLAZ

The Series X is easily one of my favorite controllers - the D-Pad is especially well implemented and I love the textures on the back of the grips/triggers. I think it's Microsoft's best fore into video game controllers. My caveat (like most controllers) is how long does it last?

DaGwaphics

Outside of the D-pad, I don't find them that much different. Hoping they don't shrink them down any further, let's not make them exclusively for children.

DaGwaphics

Doesn't even have gyro. Gonna veto this one sir.

I would like to see them release an elite 3 with gyro and updated rumble tech, or even release an updated regular controller with these upgrades. Even though it wouldn't be standard, would probably get supported well because multi-plats are supporting the dualsense already.

Filben

Marginally to not noteworthy.

Ordered it excitedly and returned it. The tiny upgrade is not worth the price tag. If you need or want another pad anyway, I'd pick the new one though.

Shut0wen

I prefer series cobtroller for xbox one, especially the dpad, best xbox controller so far for fighting games, havnt played the elite ones yet

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
series controllers to me are way better. I LOVE the texture on the controller back. It’s weird going to other controllers after using it for a few minutes.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
There's no "series x" controller, it's just "series".
That said, the xb1 controller is just garbage, has one of the worst dpads of all time. The series controller however has a great feel to it and the dpad is godlike; 10/10, highly recommended.

The anniversary XSX pad is the best controller this gen. The rubber grips + textured triggers make it.
100% this. I even put away my Elite Series 2 controller for the 20th anniversary one. It works fantastically and I don't have to worry about the Elite breaking a third time. The custom theme is nice too.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The anniversary XSX pad is the best controller this gen. The rubber grips + textured triggers make it.
I was going to order this thing and missed out.

Went to visit my son last weekend and he had it and I loved it and of course no one has it right now

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I love the Xbox One pad. My favorite controller so far actually

In fact, I own three - red, blue, and green.

Don't own a Series X or S yet, but likely eventually will. I play on PC mainly, so no rush to upgrade the living room "for when friends are over" set up any time soon

I know the new controller is somewhat smaller, has a different d-pad, and I think a share button or some crap

otherwise it's pretty much the same, i gather

as a PC player who does use a controller for some games

Should I be seeking one of these bad boys out?

What say you , GAF? How's that new d-pad? Will it work with my Xbox One PC USB dongle thing?

twarren_xboxseriesxcontroller_VLS_3616_2_4.jpg

Thanks nerds

maxresdefault.jpg

I felt the Xbox One controller was always just a bit to large for my hands, so the Series Controller is just the right size. The D-pad on it is even better for fighting games now as well, so I would say it’s about perfect; just lacks Gyro for those who like it.

I didn’t think it would, but it made such a difference I gave my brother my Xbox One S controller I had been using as a secondary in order to justify getting a second Series Controller. And then he even went out and got a Series controller despite still being stuck with a Xbone.

Naked Lunch

Xbox One bumpers are worse in every way.
The Series X has more sturdy bumpers - XB1's bumpers are cheap, thin hollow plastic.
This is immediately noticeable and the biggest difference going back to an XB1 pad.

Lightly textured grips, triggers, and bumpers have a better feel on the Series X too.
However the Series X's triggers have some horizontal/side-to-side give which I dont like.

Both mainline controllers still have looser analog tension than 360 which is still a drawback to both.

The elite controllers still have the XB1's bad bumpers.
If they updated the Elite to Series X's bumpers - in combination with the analog tension adjustments - the elite would be perfect.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The new controller fixed all the small issues withthe xbox one controller. mainly the dpad, shoulder buttons, and edges around the triggers.

sainraja

Series 2 Elite eh?

Can you tell me more? $160 for a controller seems a lot. I dont think i wanna swap out components and adjust thumbsticks and all that fuss

🤔
I loved my Elite 2 until the buttons started to become unresponsive. So, based on my own experience, I'd wait till they announce the 3rd one or go with the Halo edition, perhaps that is better.

recursive

After x360 pad... I hate the fucking Xbox One pads with a passion. Loose sticks only get worse overtime.

Thankfully there is Series 2 Elite... you can tighten the sticks to 360 level resistance.
This is my biggest issue with the Xbox One sticks. They have way too low of resistance. It was like PS and xbox switched coming fro. The previous generation with 360 and ps3.

I find the Xbox series x controller thumbstick tension to be slightly better but not to where I would like it. Dual sense has that on lockdown. I will say they definitely improved the triggers which now have less travel and spongy feel.

MikeM

Depends on the person. I’m tall so have above average size hands. Felt Xbox One controller was perfect. Series X is slightly leas comfy. I was absolutely garbage with the Series controller and had hand pain for a while.

teezzy

Banned
I loved my Elite 2 until the buttons started to become unresponsive. So, based on my own experience, I'd wait till they announce the 3rd one or go with the Halo edition, perhaps that is better.

Yeah I don't need all that customization. I mostly use M+KB unless I'm playing like a side scroller or something

It's not worth the price or risk

Thanks for the input amigo 🙂

Last edited:

RanoNL

The Xbox One and Series X gamepads are almost identical. The share button is the only noticeable difference.

Excess

I think if you're comfortable repairing your controllers, you should be alright. My original Elite controller from 2015 just recently had a bumper break, so I ordered a spare bumper replacement. In the meantime, I also bought the Elite 2 because I was looking for a reason to upgrade my original. I also have no qualms about paying for it, considering I was a very early adopter of Scuf controllers back in 2010, which are more expensive. Loving the Elite 2, BTW. It's a nice upgrade from the original.

All in all, I don't really break controllers easily. Maybe it's because my fingers have a light touch and that that has contributed to my controllers' longevity.

Wizz-Art

Love them. I actually started to buy limited/special editions because they are that great. The textured grips on these feel awesome. The Forza Horizon one has this steering wheel material which has to be feld, it's really that good.

r8TUmjP.jpg

I also wanted an Elite controller after I tried one at a friends but I really don't want a build in battery as I use a dozen of Eneloops and never am out of freshly charged ones. Hopefully they will offer the Elite3 without build in battery like the first elite before.

lucius

The texture is much better not just the back handles the front is better too. D-pad is better but the noise of all the buttons isn’t my favorite, the triggers feel better with grips and the shape and feel is better, I actually prefer it overall over my Elite Series 2 but that has killer battery and more options. You can switch to PC easy with a double tap of the sync button after it’s paired can’t do that on the Elite. I never liked the original One controllers they felt too light and hollow with loose sticks to me.

Topher

Gold Member
pkAwEfU.jpg

l03SyF9.jpg

UZFa8Tc.jpg

It’s not worth the money but it’s the best console controller I’ve ever tried, minus the lacking screenshot button. It’s not about swapping stuff out, it’s the material, quality, weight, settings, case with included charging dock, etc. I can’t go back. And that makes me sad because Xbox controllers will be much more expensive for me from now on. 😐

Love mine although it doesn't look as cool as yours. Best controller ever made, imo.

Topher

Gold Member
Love them. I actually started to buy limited/special editions because they are that great. The textured grips on these feel awesome. The Forza Horizon one has this steering wheel material which has to be feld, it's really that good.

r8TUmjP.jpg

I also wanted an Elite controller after I tried one at a friends but I really don't want a build in battery as I use a dozen of Eneloops and never am out of freshly charged ones. Hopefully they will offer the Elite3 without build in battery like the first elite before.

I prefer the built-in battery of the Elite Series 2 myself. Damn.....those controllers are nice looking though.

Wizz-Art

I prefer the built-in battery of the Elite Series 2 myself. Damn.....those controllers are nice looking though.

I can't get over the fact that a close to $200 controller has a battery built-in that will eventually go bad. If you want the built-in feel just buy a batterypack but give other users the choice to use their rechargeables you know, like all the other Xbox controllers they ever released. Win-win!

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I can't get over the fact that a close to $200 controller has a battery built-in that will eventually go bad. If you want the built-in feel just buy a batterypack but give other users the choice to use their rechargeables you know, like all the other Xbox controllers they ever released. Win-win!

Never had a built-in battery go bad myself. In a perfect world, the batteries in all controllers would be replaceable and rechargeable.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
It’s a good controller except how noisy the buttons are compared to PlayStation
homer simpson mind-boggling GIF

K' Dash

Just the dpad is worth the upgrade, also the vibration is improved a lot, but not everyone likes controller vibration.

The grip on the back is great and the RB/LB were fixed, cause they sucked on the One.

Kagey K

Banned
I have the Elite series 1, series 2 and my default controller that came with my series X. While I prefer my elites in most cases, I go back to the series controller for fighting or other heavily dpad sensitive games.

The clicky dpad is amazing for games that require it.

I don't think there is a better dpad out there right now, for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom