• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long till we get RPG's like this?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

I know, another UE5 demo but fuck me, look at that thing... It's absolutely gorgeous and those graphics wrapped around something akin to Skyrim would be my ideal game, I'm guessing visual wise we're talking at least PS5 Pro or 6 minimum.

I know all you Xbox fans have got ES6 to look forward too in 2045 (you lucky bastards) but what about the rest of us? After completing HFW and pretty much finishing Witcher3 plus I'm done replaying Skyrim for the nth time (come on MS give us a PSVR2 patch), is there anything on the "near" horizon to scratch that western style (I'm not a fan of stiletto jrpgs) fantasy games that even remotely comes close to the vid?

I really miss that big open horizon with a lived in world to explore with towns, cities and dungeons to loot, the itch just won't go away

saintjules

Depends on the RPG type. I don't see JRPGs would look like this visually. Maybe those western RPGs, sure.

I'd say by generation's end we might start to get more of this. Just a random speculation.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

PS7 for open world RPG, PS6 for linear game

Either genre, not this gen, Matrix struggle to hit 30fps

Last edited:
Just like real life!
Marvel Studios GIF by Disney+

20 years unless 8k becomes mainstream. Need to stop chasing resolution so we can get higher fidelity.
So true. I can't believe how long it's took for 4K to become standard. Consoles tried shooting for 4K seven years ago and current gen consoles are struggling to hit 60fps and we still have them at 30fps.

PC for a long time nobody was interested in 4K and it wasn't until the 3000 series that really you could get a GPU for 4K that looked like it would last for years. According to steam the number of people with 4K monitors is still slowly growing. 1.8% of users are on 4K compared to 64% at 1080p and 20% at 1440p

I can see PC maybe moving to 5-6K at some point but 8K makes no sense. It makes more sense for consoles but even then unless you're sitting super close to a large (50-60") tv or you buy a 100-120" tv it is just a waste of processing power. A lot of people have done tests to see if they can tell the difference between 4-8K and many people can't see it.

4K on consoles and even PC is more than enough for a long time. Due to the nature of PC there will be some going for higher resolutions but I don't see it happening any time soon. I mean you need a 4090 to play cyberpunk with pathtracing at 1080 20fps without "fake frames" or DLSS.

Give me better graphics over higher resolution! I want to see more games to release pathtracing support. That makes a bigger difference than a slightly sharper image.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Maybe it's my old AF eyes but c'mon I grew up on Ultima & Eye of the Beholder and the stuff that's out now or coming out is insane to me
Yeah man. I played those same games, and stuff like Ishar on the Amiga, and it was awesome.

I still vividly remember the first 3D RPG I played on the Amiga; Liberation: Captive 2.

Looks like a joke now, but back then? Man I couldn't sleep at night because I was so awestruck by having played a 3D RPG game.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Have yet to play it. Everyone seems to hold vastly different opinions on it so i'll wait and see it for myself.
It's a game that puts a huge emphasis on immersion and realism so it's definitely not for everyone. If you keep that intent in mind, though, it's a great experience. Some of the most fun quests that i've seen since The Witcher 3.

It's really inventive too. There's an actual mechanic in the game where you have to learn to read, otherwise every book or note that you'll pick up in the game will be a bunch of gibberish. The text will become gradually more coherent as you progress this skill. Cool stuff.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member

I know, another UE5 demo but fuck me, look at that thing... It's absolutely gorgeous and those graphics wrapped around something akin to Skyrim would be my ideal game, I'm guessing visual wise we're talking at least PS5 Pro or 6 minimum.

I know all you Xbox fans have got ES6 to look forward too in 2045 (you lucky bastards) but what about the rest of us? After completing HFW and pretty much finishing Witcher3 plus I'm done replaying Skyrim for the nth time (come on MS give us a PSVR2 patch), is there anything on the "near" horizon to scratch that western style (I'm not a fan of stiletto jrpgs) fantasy games that even remotely comes close to the vid?

I really miss that big open horizon with a lived in world to explore with towns, cities and dungeons to loot, the itch just won't go away

I was so bummed to NOT see Skyrim for PSVR2. I have it on PSVR and it's janky fun but I figured it'd be a given to have a PSVR2 version available considering XBOX doesn't have VR. Hopefully someday but shouldn't get my hopes up.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I was so bummed to NOT see Skyrim for PSVR2. I have it on PSVR and it's janky fun but I figured it'd be a given to have a PSVR2 version available considering XBOX doesn't have VR. Hopefully someday but shouldn't get my hopes up.
Yeah I'm not expecting it, which is a shame the fully modded PCVR versions are incredible looking and really immersive

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Yeah man. I played those same games, and stuff like Ishar on the Amiga, and it was awesome.

I still vividly remember the first 3D RPG I played on the Amiga; Liberation: Captive 2.

Looks like a joke now, but back then? Man I couldn't sleep at night because I was so awestruck by having played a 3D RPG game.

Never played those but I have some great memories of me and my mates doing sleepovers at mine and staying up all night playing Bards Tale on my Amiga, we where completely captivated by it, then again at the time the biggest TV show was the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon so here we where playing out our own fantasy adventures

Also kept a load of my old RPG games, as I occasionally like a wee browse through the manuals and maps for those nostalgia feels

chZ9KwD.jpg

flying_sq

I looks okay,
Not until AI can reliably generate the necessary assets at scale in order to populate an entire world with that level of detail without copy/paste everywhere.
It already exists, I used to mess around with Vue software, you can essentially give it models, textures, a height map, density and other variables applied to what they would call a "biome". Then apply the biome to a blank terrain and it will apply those parameters. It's used in movies all the time, but I think you can export to Maya and 3DMax, I know you can import from them. Not exactly made for real time rendering, but I'm sure game engines can have something similar, or have had it for years as well.

Edit: looked it up for old times sake, it is called an Ecosystem

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

Meh.... These kinds of tech demos fall apart right as there is actual gameplay and movement. There is so little interactivity and life to it. Are they any interesting gameplay systems? How about good sound design? Do objects clip? Is there any sign of art direction? How about animations, physics, AI, level design and things that matter? Is the world dynamic in any way or is it just a beautiful museum of "look but don't touch?"

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Usually I'm not impressed by these supposedly mindblowing UE5 slices, but wow, that one looks really great. Except for the blown-out lighting! But looking at this really gives me the urge to explore. I'd love to see fantasy games actually look like this, but ya know, bigger and interactive. Gonna be a long time.

Aenima

The moment devs stop increasing game native resolutions and take full advantage of console hardware. Would probably run at 1080p/ 30 fps though.
Kingdon Come is a last gen game and could look very realistic with the right lighting.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I prefer actually good gameplay, like good physics, AI, great immersion....
Kinda not really excited for these next gen graphics, seems it prioritize more on top of gameplay which is my concern here.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

We are already there. Nothing really special about that video or nothing I saw that we cant already do on current-gen consoles.

Not until AI can reliably generate the necessary assets at scale in order to populate an entire world with that level of detail without copy/paste everywhere.
Came here to say this, is it even realistic to hand-craft such a detailed world with a lot of towns etc? Then it's not a matter of processing power or engines, but the manual labor and attention to detail.

GHound

I once had a strange dream about the future of video games should developers continue the dogged pursuit of photorealism. They looked great but the worlds were dead and there wasn't really much to do. They also all looked pretty much identical and even the visuals became boring. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom