• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is the Xbox backwards compatibility team going to double frame rates ?

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Series x backwards compatibility info

Does anyone know how they will be able to double the frame rates on locked games?

“ We are also creating whole new classes of innovations including the ability to double the frame rate of a select set of titles from 30 fps to 60 fps or 60 fps to 120 fps”

the backwards compatibility team doesn’t change any code and they aren’t talking about games being patched from developers

Last edited:

NeonGhost

Probably can't.

Xbox One X did it'd enhancing thing on 360 games. Some had cleaned up visuals. Some had frames doubled. But some had the exact same fps.
We are also creating whole new classes of innovations including the ability to double the frame rate of a select set of titles from 30 fps to 60 fps or 60 fps to 120 fps.

Zambatoh

At best, they can stabilize existing frame rates. They can't add to them if the games were never designed for them.
Cast in point, Ninja Gaiden II has abysmal frame rates on the 360, but on newer hardware, it runs perfectly fine. Even on the dreaded stair case fight.

NeonGhost

It will only be on games where the engine can support it without breaking the physics.
I’m asking does anyone know how they are doing it since they are not changing any code in the game to double the frame rates

Banned
there are definitely ways.

they did it, most likely on accident, in GRAW 1 and 2 somehow.

these games have very obviously a 30fps cap on 360 since even if you search the least GPU and CPU intensive scenes the framerate does not go above 30 on 360, which eliminates the possibility of a double buffer vsync.

yet on Xbox One and especially One X, the game can easily reach 60fps.

double buffer vsync is also ruled out by the fact that on Xbox One it runs very often in-between 30 and 60 fps, a double buffer vsync solution would lock it to either 30 or 60 fps depending on load.

so what they could do is simply disable vsync in some games or inject code to change the framerate lock like some emulators on PC can do.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Yes they can double the frame rate
We are also creating whole new classes of innovations including the ability to double the frame rate of a select set of titles from 30 fps to 60 fps or 60 fps to 120 fps.
They already did this in Xbox One

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
If something is locked 30 you can probably do some underlying virtualization trick to get locked 60 without throwing off the timing of the game expecting things to take 30 frames to happen. Mess with the frame timer API at the virtualization layer or something.

Banned
I think that’s from a fluke in ghost recons game code not something the backwards compatibility team actually were trying to do

yes but they can also up the resolution of games without changing game code simply through the emulator.

many PC emulators can remove framerate caps on PS1 or N64 games without changing the game code... which in many of those games will of course result in the games running too fast due to the nature of how old games were coded, but in modern games this wouldn't be an issue (well in most games). and emulators of more modern systems (PS3, Wii U) can do it too and with better results

also, they might also simply work with publishers to actually patch the games..m how hard can it be to patch the original game to have a framerate cap toggle in place? especially if these games have PC versions that already have that option in place!

so they could do it either through the emulator or by working with developers/publishers to patch the original games.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Series x backwards compatibility info

Does anyone know how they will be able to double the frame rates on locked games?

“ We are also creating whole new classes of innovations including the ability to double the frame rate of a select set of titles from 30 fps to 60 fps or 60 fps to 120 fps”

the backwards compatibility team doesn’t change any code and they aren’t talking about games being patched from developers

I think you are focusing too much on XB and X360 games. Some of their current gen games are getting a framerate upgrade for next gen. Rare has already stated that Sea of Thieves is getting a 30 fps to 60 fps upgrade on the Series X.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

I think you are focusing too much on XB and X360 games. Some of their current gen games are getting a framerate upgrade for next gen. Rare has already stated that Sea of Thieves is getting a 30 fps to 60 fps upgrade on the Series X.
Yeah but that’s from the developer actually patching the game I want to see what xb1 games the backwards compatibility team were able to double the frame rates

ManaByte

Yeah but that’s from the developer actually patching the game I want to see what xb1 games the backwards compatibility team were able to double the frame rates

They've already said that if a game used dynamic resolution it would always run at the max resolution on the system. Same would probably be true for unlocked framerate modes.

NeonGhost

They've already said that if a game used dynamic resolution it would always run at the max resolution on the system. Same would probably be true for unlocked framerate modes.
They aren’t talking about unlocked frame rates they specifically talk about games locked at 30fps and bumping them to 60fps

paolo11

So noob question, does it only double the framerates? What about adding graphical options? Is that even possible?

jigglet

Banned
Either release an update to unlock framerates, or it won't. This will only work for games that already have an unlocked framerate (which is extremely rare, the only one I can think of is the Terrorist Hunt mode in R6 with the vsync option turned off).

bender

What time is it?
doublespeed.png

ZywyPL

Banned
As someone here recently posted, they run the games on a sort of a virtual machine, which is one of the XB1 triple OS design component, and that allows them to utilize any additional power/memory the new models have, hence it was possible to not just play, but also boost old games on XB1, especially 1X, without any interference in the games code itself, and now it'll allow them to boost them even further. I never liked the idea of three OS on the XB1 since it used so much RAM, but now I think they made it because they had BC in mind from the very get-go, and turned oud to be a very future-proof feature.

bender

What time is it?
ooooo kay ? what about Fallout and Oblivion ?

"ROFL is a Bethesda game on console ..." running at 4K and 60FPS thanks to backward comparability enhancements and the original code not featuring a framerate cap.

Top Bottom