• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How frequently do you play a new game blind?

How frequently do you play a new game blind?

• Very often (I prefer to go into games completely blind, so I do it all the time.)

• Sometimes (I do it occasionally if I'm intrigued by the game or if I trust the developer.)

• Rarely (I usually read/watch reviews or ask friends for recommendations before playing a new game.)

• Never (I always research games thoroughly before deciding to play them.)

Results are only viewable after voting.

mortal

Gold Member
How frequently do you play a new game blind (i.e., without reading reviews, watching trailers, or knowing anything beyond the initial teaser or random ads)?

Maybe others can relate, but some of my most memorable gaming experiences were times when I went into a new game completely blind. Often being LTTP playthroughs as well.
Obviously, hype has a notable impact on the first playthroughs, because of the expectations that are built up. Not inherently a negative thing, just a discernable experience I think.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think it's damn near impossible in this day and age of everything being connected online to avoid reading any kind of reviews/impressions/trailers of any upcoming game.

For me, there are a certain cases where I know I am 100% getting something despite reviews, like RE4 remake. I would have gotten it even if it reviewed very low.

bender

What time is it?
Most of them actually.. I don't really consume game media these days and I pretty much know what games I'm going to play/like.

mortal

Gold Member
I think it's damn near impossible in this day and age of everything being connected online to avoid reading any kind of reviews/impressions/trailers of any upcoming game.

For me, there are a certain cases where I know I am 100% getting something despite reviews, like RE4 remake. I would have gotten it even if it reviewed very low.
I get where you're coming from. It does make sense that a less connected world would lead to more random discoveries.
However, I'd argue that experience is made more possible in the digital age because of increased access and selection.

The sheer volume of new titles being released has increased and continues to increase. More game developers working at different scales than before and more people playing games.
Digital storefronts and services like Gamepass or PS+ make trying out random games more convenient than ever.
The mystery was there but it also require more effort in going to a physical location or even having it delivered to you, both of which required more time than the aforementioned.

Again nothing wrong with learning about something because of a teaser or some ad you happened to see.

Most of them actually.. I don't really consume game media these days and I pretty much know what games I'm going to play/like.
Do you find it makes for a more enjoyable experience?

GametimeUK

Back in the PS3 era I'd get as much info as I could get every demo or beta and keep up to date with every trailer, gameplay video and previews etc. I used to get so excited for new screenshots etc.

Now I avoid almost everything other than the reception of a game at release. If people say a game is good I'll go in as blind as possible and just enjoy myself. It's much better this way.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Do you find it makes for a more enjoyable experience?

I'm not sure. I used to be heavy into games coverage and I'd listen or watch dozens of hours of coverage a week. As the media outlets I liked dissolved or changed, my viewing habits evaporated. Most of media I look at today is retrospectives. I've mostly settled in a rut of the games I know I will like and play so there is less need for outside voices.

Robb

Gold Member
Happens from time to time on GamePass. Mainly games I never followed or were interested in buying, so I never watched any promo stuff for them.

Other than that it’s just stealth drops. Like Hi-Fi Rush, for example.

If you’re as invested in the hobby as most of us here are I feel it’s extremely difficult to go into most games blind. Especially when they are announced 5-6 years before they launch.

Last edited:
legally-blind-csgo.gif

Everytime.
Always play through first blind. Don’t care if I don’t find everything or see everything, I’ll find and see the stuff that I can on my own. If the game is good enough and I want to keep playing I’ll go back again and see what I missed.
Rather have an incomplete file that’s mine and represents my journey, than a perfect file that followed a guide.

lachesis

I go blind for story, but not the collectibles - because I don't like missing out and have no time to play thru multiple times to collect them all.
Also I like to build up my characters as much as I can, I tend to look for certain spots to grind... with help of online tips.

I would never ever buy a game without researching if it seems like a game that I would like or not. What? Or have I misunderstood the question?

Aenima

Very often, even from new IPs. I havent read a full review since like the PS3 days. I might gather a little more info if its a new IP from a dev i dont know. This are from games i want to buy, for games i download from services like PS+, just a trailer or screenshots to have an idea of what the game is about, is enough to make me try it out.

How frequently do you play a new game blind (i.e., without reading reviews, watching trailers, or knowing anything beyond the initial teaser or random ads)?

Maybe others can relate, but some of my most memorable gaming experiences were times when I went into a new game completely blind. Often being LTTP playthroughs as well.
Obviously, hype has a notable impact on the first playthroughs, because of the expectations that are built up. Not inherently a negative thing, just a discernable experience I think.
Quite frequent - I am already playing Dead Island 2 since earlier this week. I can't speak about the game itself due to NDA, but this is 1 example.

God of War Ragnarok was also very spoiler free for me because I had dibs on it 3 weeks prior to release. So basically, almost any time I play a game these days, it's very early one without any kind of media consumption or internet spoilers.

Another game I've played very early was Wanted Dead and Wo Long Fallen Dynasty as of recently.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I sometimes try stuff on Gamepass after just looking at the store trailer. Is that going in blind?
Other than that. Never.

Last edited:

Elitro

Previously that never happened. Today with game pass it's actually easier to go almost blind. Especially with shadow drops like loop hero.

Last edited:

Crayon

I would never ever buy a game without researching if it seems like a game that I would like or not. What? Or have I misunderstood the question?

Trying to minimize spoilers, but also micro-spoilers, impressions from others, and fatigue of re-watching limited footage.

The ideal is like picking a game off the shelf based solely on the box and ending up with a banger. Most satisfying.

Bartski

Gold Member
Almost every time above certain hype level unless I accidently bump into something on twitter. I think it makes the experience so much better

Bragr

Banned
It's surprising how much of a difference it makes when you go in not knowing anything. It really does make a difference.

93xfan

Banned
Never. Always had good eye sight.

Though one time I did have pink eye and it was a little tough to see.

Last edited:
Trying to minimize spoilers, but also micro-spoilers, impressions from others, and fatigue of re-watching limited footage.

The ideal is like picking a game off the shelf based solely on the box and ending up with a banger. Most satisfying.
I genuinely had no idea people do this 🤔 never crossed my mind.

But if it's satisfying for some, cool! 🙂

xrnzaaas

I usually try to stay away from the trailers and news on the specific plots and mechanics. I go in blind if I trust the dev, but that's been a rare thing in the recent years. Some devs I trusted released poor games or suddenly went super woke... so usually there's that bare minimum what's the game about and is it potentially good.

I'm also trying to stay away from the trophies for my story playthrough, because they can spoil a lot.

gothmog

Gold Member
Sometimes. I love going into some indie or storefront sale threads and seeing the recommended gems.

DaGwaphics

As far as information about games go, with YT and all, I've typically have at least seen previews and maybe a review or two of most games I play. Back in the day though I mainly just read the back of the box and made a decision.

Literally playing games blindfolded, I never do that, though I've heard that IGN finds it fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom