• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Do You Feel About Final Fantasy Prison Segments?

Since Final Fantasy V there is a moment in the adventure when a party member or the whole party is imprisoned. These moments are usually used to heighten the tension and make you feel vulnerable for however briefly. Which of these moments did you like best in the series and do you feel it should be used again in the next game?

Spoilers obviously.

Reminders for those who haven't played some of these in a while.

Final Fantasy V
Party is caught when boarding Faris's ship

VI
Celes intro takes place here and there are a few prison locations

VII
Party is first imprisoned at Shinra HQ. I honestly forgot why, but I do have vivid memories of the blood stains on the walls. Party is imprisoned while at the Gold Saucer. Barret's scene with Dyne takes place here and you find out why he takes care of Marlene.

VIII
Party is caught after they fail to assassinate Edea. Zell

IX
Steiner, Marcus, and Garnet make it to Alexandria via Gargant and due to them being too busy talking they walk into a trap and Steiner and Marcus are put in a cage hanging from the ceiling. The party was also imprisoned at Kuja's Desert Palace, but that felt more like a death trap to me.

X
If I'm remembering correctly they get imprisoned after the Bevelle Temple and then you have to make your way through the Via Purifico. Looking back that was pretty dumb if they're intentions were to kill them. Just shooting them would've been better.

XI
Not sure. Never played.

XII
Where you meet Basch who I think was going to be killed.

XIII
Not sure. Never played.

XIV
Not sure. Never played.

XV
Not sure. Never played.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
For some reason VIII's is so forgettable to me. I remember hearing a song from the OST a few weeks ago then looking up what part of the game it was on youtube and I just completely forgot that entire segment existed.

Must have sucked.

Also is there really no other IX segment? The part you mentioned barely counts.

OP, you missed out the second prison segment in IX, where Kuja has them all held in his desert palace. The escape hinges on a moustached, falandering, engineering genius amphibian outwitting a small pink monster, all to one of the game's catchiest and most outlandish pieces of music. God, I love that bit.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Shinra Tower prison sequence is one of the best prison sequences of all time. Wake up to an open door and a trail of blood and it just keeps escalating from there. Super creepy and cool.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Shinra Tower prison sequence is one of the best prison sequences of all time. Wake up to an open door and a trail of blood and it just keeps escalating from there. Super creepy and cool.

That music and bloody floor........damn..................

Shamdeo

ff6_lone_wolfo7o4c.gif

Eggiem

Since Final Fantasy V there is a moment in the adventure when a party member or the whole party is imprisoned. These moments are usually used to heighten the tension and make you feel vulnerable for however briefly. Which of these moments did you like best in the series and do you feel it should be used again in the next game?

Spoilers obviously.

[...]

XV
Not sure. Never played.

FFXV has the worst prison of all. It's true. Bad prison. Way too long. It's a fact. Too many jump scare robots. It's bad. And Square made us pay for it. Worst prison in the Final Fantasy world. FAKE CHAPTER!

Sorry. xD

Surprised by the disapproval of VIII's. It's the one I remember most aside from IX. Zell stepped up and had to save the rest of the party. There were also some pretty interesting enemies in the dungeon.

This was V right? I forgot to mention him. If you open his cell you'd lose all the treasure in a hidden dungeon in the game.

Platy

Wy7QxCf.png

Truly a square game

Yeah, 7 wins this one, and I am usualy a "ff9 did everything better than 7" person

LordKasual

Banned
Definitely VII.

Specifically because of how Aerith is still being thirsty around Cloud but Tifa is actually within earshot for the first time.

Little moments like that are why i love 7

Edit:

FF7 actually had like 3 prison segments.

1) Shinra HQ

2) Gold Saucer

3) After Meteor is summoned. (When they attempt to publicly execute Tifa and you have to escape controlling her, ending with the WEAPON raid and an epic slap battle)

Man FF7 was a fucking good game

World of Final Fantasy has a prison chapter.
You lose all of your mirages and have to catch machine mirages as you escape with Squall.

It's reminiscent of the segment in 7, which is honestly the only one I remember. XV's chapter 13 is about as close as the game gets.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wy7QxCf.png

Truly a square game

Yeah, 7 wins this one, and I am usualy a "ff9 did everything better than 7" person
It feels like I'm looking at an SMRPG sequel that never happened...

Sophia

XIV had a prison segment, although slightly different from the others.
Escape from Castrum Centri, where you rescue the rest of the Scions of the Seventh Dawn.

It was pretty fun for a solo quest.

Kyari

XIV had a prison segment, although slightly different from the others.
Escape from Castrum Centri, where you rescue the rest of the Scions of the Seventh Dawn.

It was pretty fun for a solo quest.

YDA PUNCHES A GUN. WITH HER FIST.

Meowster

VIII had a cool section where you played as characters other than Squall. Shocked that most people didn't like it, I actually really enjoy that part of the game.

Top Bottom