• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Mom Defends Herself Against Facebook Haters, gives a non-apology

Status
Not open for further replies.

WARCOCK

Banned

That's pretty much how i read it too. Maybe that wasn't her intent but it certainly comes off that way.

Jealousy or not, if you dish out it, prepare to get some in return. Body image may be a priority for her, don't make it out to be some sort of universal end goal for all.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You know, when I saw Thor shirtless I didn't think 'fuck this movie and its idealized beauty. i can't help who i am' i thought, 'man, I'm out of shape'

GQman2121

Banned
How is the photo in the OP controversial? I think it's adorable.

Also, she's only 32. If she works, out and is in to fitness, what do do people expect her to look like?

Trey

How on Earth is this fat shaming?

People feel that you shouldn't need an excuse to be fat - that being big isn't something one must correct - and to ask someone why they're still fat is a form of fat shaming rhetoric.

I can see why some would take offense to something like this. It's basically saying, "you aren't hot like me, who was once not hot until I got off my lazy ass." It's condescending.

NinjaBoiX

Well saying "what's your excuse" is kind of aggressive. Then again, maybe not so bad if people ask themselves if they actually have a valid excuse.
Hence the vitriol.

"Yeah yeah, I know I'm a lazy bitter twat. Fuck you for pointing it out!"

She looks good. Good for her. America has an obesity problem, and this is how we want to treat people who are successful in their goals?

marrec

Banned
You know, when I saw Thor shirtless I didn't think 'fuck this movie and its idealized beauty. i can't help who i am' i thought, 'man, I'm out of shape'

Ya, but if Hemsworth asked you 'What's your excuse' wouldn't you be a bit taken aback. I mean, he's paid to look like that. His job is to make sure you can bounce a penny 30 ft off his ass.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Totally siding with the hottie here.

People make too many excuses about their obesity.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat

I wouldn't even call it an attack but there's undoubtedly more of an inflammatory twang to it. It's like those people who think belittling and looking down their noses at fat people is an effective strategy for promoting better lifestyles instead of just admitting that it makes them feel better to chap someone else's ass.

Ripclawe

Banned
ioPSKsWmjK7FI.jpg
ig87MZYUAzDiD.jpg

marrec

Banned
I wouldn't even call it an attack but there's undoubtedly more of an inflammatory twang to it. It's like those people who think belittling and looking down their noses at fat people is an effective strategy for promoting better lifestyles instead of just admitting that it makes them feel better to chap someone else's ass.

The problem is that there are mother who have legitimate excuses for not devoting all available time to making their body look like this ladies.

The photo does not acknowledge that however.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Good for her. Its not any more inflammatory than pretty much every gym ad I've ever seen in my life.

The problem is that there are mother who have legitimate excuses for not devoting all available time to making their body look like this ladies.

The photo does not acknowledge that however.

Sure, but its just a photograph. It doesn't have room to asterisk in single-mothers holding down two jobs, women with glandular disorders, etc. 95% of fat people are fat because they sit around.

Into

If anything, her "aggressive" tone and tough love is probably what is needed more, instead of the constant reinforcement police about how everyone is great, special etc.

Someone wrote to her that "those kids need a mommy, not a glamor model" which is ironic, because those kids need a healthy mother who is happy with who she is, not a lazy, bonbon eating drone who is playing Candy Crush all day on Facebook and is miserable

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
She should apologize for sounding really annoying and high maintenance. But not for being a smoking hot ubermilf.

Wazzy

Banned
lmbo @ the fact that "fat shaming" is seen as something reprehensible in the year 2013

Really?

Fat shaming is never acceptable. Encouraging healthy foods and dieting is fine, shaming someone because of their weight is wrong and gross.

Gannd

Banned
I think the big difference is that for a lot of moms they aren't able to spend the time in the gym that she is. Who is watching her kids when she's doing all of this? A nanny? I know at the YMCA my wife goes they have "day care" to watch kids while mom's work out. My wife pointed this out. She thinks its stupid that people got mad at this women for looking great after three kids.

But, if you're a single mom or a stay at home mom with 3 young kids and cannot afford help, it is very hard to get into the gym.

On one hand, there are a lot of people with valid reasons that they can't get that kind of body, regardless of how hard they work. On the other hand, recent sharp increases in obesity rates point to the majority of obesity cases being caused by lifestyle factors rather than innate human biology. So I could see how she meant the message to be inspirational, but to me personally it comes off as needlessly confrontational and elitist, and she's extremely naive if she thought no one would react negatively to it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Ya, but if Hemsworth asked you 'What's your excuse' wouldn't you be a bit taken aback. I mean, he's paid to look like that. His job is to make sure you can bounce a penny 30 ft off his ass.

No, because I have a sense of my own self-worth that has nothing to do with what others do with their lives?

I mean, I know I'm a little doughy in the middle. Imaa still eat In-N-Out (even though Five Guys is better) today. Fuck the body shaming police

Zoe

If anything, her "aggressive" tone and tough love is probably what is needed more, instead of the constant reinforcement police about how everyone is great, special etc.

Yeah, no. Shaming and aggression tends to push people in the other direction.

I think the big difference is that for a lot of moms they aren't able to spend the time in the gym that she is. Who is watching her kids when she's doing all of this? A nanny? I know at the YMCA my wife goes they have "day care" to watch kids while mom's work out. My wife pointed this out. She thinks its stupid that people got mad at this women for looking great after three kids.

But, if you're a single mom or a stay at home mom with 3 young kids and cannot afford help, it is very hard to get into the gym.

NO EXCUSE. Or something.

marrec

Banned

Someone wrote to her that "those kids need a mommy, not a glamor model" which is ironic, because those kids need a healthy mother who is happy with who she is, not a lazy, bonbon eating drone who is playing Candy Crush all day on Facebook and is miserable

Why is it one or the other? Can't a mother be attentive, happy, and mentally good with herself and her body but also be a bit overweight, or even obese?

Guevara

No, because I have a sense of my own self-worth that has nothing to do with what others do with their lives?

I mean, I know I'm a little doughy in the middle. Imaa still eat In-N-Out (even though Five Guys is better) today. Fuck the body shaming police

what did you do

IceCold

I agree. What she is doing is only possible if you have a good support system, money, and healthy kids.

xenist

Well saying "what's your excuse" is kind of aggressive. Then again, maybe not so bad if people ask themselves if they actually have a valid excuse.

But if she really wanted to inspire people like she says, then the caption probably should have been something like "You can do it too"

Aggressive maybe. Offensive only if you project your stuff on it.

Agressive is good. Agressive gets shit done. As a former giant fat bastard that is fighting the last 20 pounds I wish I had someone who cared for me get agressive. Inspiration doesn't do shit. Perspiration does, as the saying goes.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Thehn I would say 'because it's your job to get paid to look like that and i have no time' and move on with my life. not go HOW DARE YOU

jond76

Banned
What's the issue? Its a hard line motivational picture. Someone might look at that and say "you're right, I have no excuse!" and get off their ass. I see how bitter woe-is-me types would be offended. That's their problem, not hers.

Into

Why is it one or the other? Can't a mother be attentive, happy, and mentally good with herself and her body but also be a bit overweight, or even obese?

I am generalizing and stereotyping, just like the person who wrote that about her, to point out how silly it is to assume this woman is a terrible mother because she works out. Its silly

marrec

Banned
I agree. What she is doing is only possible if you have a good support system, money, and healthy kids.

In other words, a lot of people have a lot of excuses for not looking like her and her short-sightedness of this fact is offensive to some.

KingGondo

Banned
Good for her for being in such great shape. However the "what's your excuse" is extremely condescending, since obesity is such a complex socioeconomic issue.

We should be past the point in society in which we blame individuals entirely for their fitness and health. There are a lot of other factors at play.

stet said:
ugly kids tho
:lol

Good for this woman. All you really need is an hour a day for 5 days a week, you're not really devoting this crazy amount of time to looking fit, 90% of it is based on what you do when you're not at the gym.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

The criticism of her approach being too aggressive is actually hypocritical because it posits that one form of motivation is invalid vs. another. I don't think there's any evidence to support that giving people shit for a sedentary lifestyle doesn't work, because it does.

She looks better and more health in the picture on the left.

She's in good shape, not anorexic.

Shouta

Aggressive quote with a negative tilt. Of course, you're going to get people up in arms with something like that.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
In other words, a lot of people have a lot of excuses for not looking like her and her short-sightedness of this fact is offensive to some.

It was a meme posted to Facebook. Not an in-depth dissertation on the obesity problem in America.

Kinyou

Aggressive maybe. Offensive only if you project your stuff on it.

Agressive is good. Agressive gets shit done. As a former giant fat bastard that is fighting the last 20 pounds I wish I had someone who cared for me get agressive. Inspiration doesn't do shit. Perspiration does, as the saying goes.
I think that always depends on the type of person you are. Some react to it in a good way "I'm going to show you!" while others just get more depressed over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom