• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima Is Interested in VR, but Sees Streaming As the Next Big Thing.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking in an interview with Rocket Beans Gaming (which you can view below), Kojima said that VR is something he’s quite interested in and wants to work with, but doesn’t see himself having enough free time to do so.

“Well I want to create something [where] you don’t get 3D motion sickness,” said Kojima via a translator (transcribed by Upload VR). “But for VR, I’m really interested in it [but] I think I’m not free enough.

“I said [on] the panel yesterday – in the 120 years that the [Lumiere] brothers created, we have a monitor or we have this square like [a] iPad or iPhone. We have a frame, right? VR [is] kind of freed from the limitation of this frame aspect. So I want to do it, definitely, but I don’t have really time right now to concentrate on VR.”

Kojima, however, feels that though VR has a lot of potential, as far as the immediate future is concerned – a timeframe of the next five years, to be precise – cloud streaming is going to be the next big thing for the industry, which is something he’s posited previously as well.

“Using VR is probably maybe not [like a] game, more of an art or an education or simulator,” he said. “I think it will be a breakthrough using VR. But in the next 5 years, I think streaming will be the biggest thing and if you’re streaming you cannot put framerates as much as you want, but in VR the framerate is really important. Right now, streaming cannot catch up to the VR aspect, so I think VR is a good time to develop.”

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
he hath spoken!!

stop hating on streaming everyone. our lord and savior kojima has given his support to streaming. i don't want to see anyone saying anything negative about streaming now.

/s

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I do think eventually streaming is the future but they'll have to do a lot better than Google Stadia to convince me.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
The Iraqi VR Information Minister will no doubt be along soon to tell us just how wrong he is about VR.

Top Bottom