• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Might & Magic III - An eternal classic and one of the best games ever made.

MarkMe2525

There is an awesome port to Android. Not perfect but really worth your time if you want to play this game.

Edit: I'm sorry as it's the second game that's on android.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

MarkMe2525

m2lXj0S.jpg
I know it's a double posts :( but I could not edit and add an image on mobile.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
whats wrong with the steam version (besides not having the DLC) I bough it last year on steam but havent played it yet.
I dont think there's anything wrong with it. It's just that it's doesn't have the DLC, which the Complete Edition has. The key extra features are two DLC campaigns, random map generator and a bonus faction (elemental monsters and town).

Last edited:

Coney

I have many fond memories playing hotseat multiplayer with my friend group. Not many PC games had that feature, and still don't to my knowledge.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
One of the greats.

Sad to report: despite having played it many, many times ever since I was a kid, I have never won a scenario. Eventually some enemy captain always comes along with an absurdly large army and crushes me. But, I came damn close one with an army of angels.

Insane bump.

Minsc recapped the game well.

The combat portion isn't very deep. You got a slew of factions and each one has their 7-8 monsters. Your heroes have a magic book and you level it up in terms of # of spells and spell power.

Once you play the game enough, you have an idea how predictable the AI is and overall, it's not that smart. You can goad it into doing stupid things over and over again winning certain battle situations which you would never win against a good AI or human opponent.

It is what it is. It's a 20+ year old game. Part of the coolness about the game is simply the detailed sprite work and animations. HOMM4 went to polygons which I avoided.

If you take the plunge, just get it off a GOG deal. HOMM Complete Edition which is all DLC (including random map maker which is the best part). Technically, the random map deature is baked into one of the two DLC they released. I forget which one. But Complete Edition has everything. On deal, the game is like $4. If you just get the standard game, it's solely campaign scenarios. When I got the game, I got it when the Complete Edition was out and I played it a ton. I only played random maps too. I never touched the story campaign once. I find it more fun doing random skirmish matches than being funneled through canned handcrafted levels with little replayability.

The fact that it is so approachable is a good thing; It's not that deep, the AI is not that smart. But it is quite enough. Let me also fap about that UI, which is God damn miraculous how good it is despite its age. And whatever video game people play will be digested enough to be predictable after some amount of time, man. I've said quite enough in my original OP, you know the game's awesome.

I gotta do a hotseat this weekend. Imagine a few friends and a big screen TV, and one wireless mouse. I've had that a few times.

I dont think there's anything wrong with it. It's just that it's doesn't have the DLC, which the Complete Edition has. The key extra features are two DLC campaigns, random map generator and a bonus faction (elemental monsters and town).

You mean almost everything that makes the game awesome. Man is the Steam version shit.

supernova8

Banned
(edit: I'm only here because of the other dude's bump)

Wow this brings back memories. I think I only ever played the original game (HoMM 1)

Played it when I was about 7 or 8 (thus 1997 or 1998). I know the sequel(s) were out by then but I recall my older brother originally got HoMM1 at launch for his birthday and then he moved onto other games (namely C&C Red Alert in 1996 and then Commandos Behind Enemy Lines in 1998).

I was the younger brother with not enough pocket money to buy PC/DOS games, so I just ended up playing whatever my brothers had as leftovers.

Weird I just sat through 10 minutes of HoMM1, 2, and 3 to jog my memory and the much more close-up battle screen on the first game (plus the more primitive music) seems closer to what I remember so I'm going with that.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane it was nice!

By the way... did anyone else ever play Republic: The Revolution?

Last edited:
I may grant III improved a lot of things, but II has special nostalgia for me. I really like the sprite design. Nothing like the feeling of getting 10 black dragons in your squad. I sucked butt at that game tho, could never figure it out.

i use android and i have hom&m II on it, i know that III exists but only for tablets, i may be wrong
found I can play through a browser. Good enough to goof around in

nkarafo

Ultimately it's about manipulating your army in to a series of fights where you suffer little to no loses by taking advantage of ranged/melee correctly and positioning them so the enemies can't hit them while fighting for control of the resources on the map to continue to build your army faster than the CPU/opponent. There's more strategy in the planning of playing the level than the actual combat, where the combat itself generally has an ideal/perfect solution while fighting for control of the map is much more chaotic and random, demanding you to make decisions of A/B, etc.

I never got this series tbh. I played a lot of turn based strategy games but this one i always gave up, not because it's hard, the opposite. It's because it lets you cheese it very easily. I remember how i could breeze through the game by stacking unlimited peasants with pitchforks in a single slot. That thing would stomp any enemy CPU army with ease. I never actually finished any of the games, i just beat the first half missions or something until i got bored doing that.

Not sure if i did something wrong or my game was bugged. But i did try two games in the series (don't remember which exactly, i think one of them was 5) and they did let you stack unlimited units in a single slot. Where's the strategy in that? Every other turn based strategy game i ever played don't let you do that and enjoyed them more because of it.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never got this series tbh. I played a lot of turn based strategy games but this one i always gave up, not because it's hard, the opposite. It's because it lets you cheese it very easily. I remember how i could breeze through the game by stacking unlimited peasants with pitchforks in a single slot. That thing would stomp any enemy CPU army with ease. I never actually finished any of the games, i just beat the first half missions or something until i got bored doing that.

Not sure if i did something wrong or my game was bugged. But i did try two games in the series (don't remember which exactly, i think one of them was 5) and they did let you stack unlimited units in a single slot. Where's the strategy in that? Every other turn based strategy game i ever played don't let you do that and enjoyed them more because of it.
I played HOMM #1 a lot, #2 not that much, #3 a ton. What skill did you play? There is no way stacks of peasants can blow through the game.

nkarafo

I played HOMM #1 a lot, #2 not that much, #3 a ton. What skill did you play? There is no way stacks of peasants can blow through the game.

I always play all games on normal/medium.

Dunno, i remember having a couple of peasant stacks that destroyed everything in my path. I would just endlessly add a ton of units in it and the enemy stacks could only destroy a small portion of it before they got stomped. The CPU would not try stacking too many units.

You are probably right in that this probably wouldn't allow me to finish the whole game but i did beat enough maps this way to not want to find out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Dunno, i remember having a couple of peasant stacks that destroyed everything in my path. I would just endlessly add a ton of units in it and the enemy stacks could only destroy a small portion of it before they got stomped. The CPU would not try stacking too many units.

You are probably right in that this probably wouldn't allow me to finish the whole game but i did beat enough maps this way to not want to find out.
Could be true. Sounds like you did campaign maps. Maybe those were handcrafted to be easy if taking the knight faction. I only played random maps against 4-5 AI opponents on med or large maps at Hard skill. Even though the CPU was easy at its core when you know how it works, the matches would come down to whomever had the most/best high level monster stacks. All the lower level monster tiers were pointless except for some missile monsters and using the low tier monsters as cheesers and fodder.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Could be true. Sounds like you did campaign maps. Maybe those were handcrafted to be easy if taking the knight faction. I only played random maps against 4-5 AI opponents on med or large maps at Hard skill. Even though the CPU was easy at its core when you know how it works, the matches would come down to whomever had the most/best high level monster stacks. All the lower level monster tiers were pointless except for some missile monsters and using the low tier monsters as cheesers and fodder.

Yeah, your description makes it look like a game i would not enjoy either way. I prefer more tight rules in strategy games. Not a fan of being able to just use high numbers vs low numbers. Something like The Disciples 2 was a much better game for me because you can only have a limited amount of units, which means it's more about decision making and maxing out the potential of your small group instead of just making sure you add as many units as possible to brute force through everything. It's still not a hard game, i now need to play it on the highest difficulty level to enjoy some challenge but it's tight gameplay made me want to finish it and replay it a few times with all factions.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, your description makes it look like a game i would not enjoy either way. I prefer more tight rules in strategy games. Not a fan of being able to just use high numbers vs low numbers. Something like The Disciples 2 was a much better game for me because you can only have a limited amount of units, which means it's more about decision making and maxing out the potential of your small group instead of just making sure you add as many units as possible to brute force through everything. It's still not a hard game, i now need to play it on the highest difficulty level to enjoy some challenge but it's tight gameplay made me want to finish it and replay it a few times with all factions.
Yup, that's HOMM at it's core.

- Heroes roam around and get as much resources and gold as possible
- Build up towns and structures
- Build up monster stacks
- Kill enemies, find gear, level up. Leveling up gets you more perks and as you grind away more spells and spell power
- Stack on enough high tier monsters + using low level monsters as fodder = plow through the map like a game of Risk

Last edited:

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
This may be too specific, but did anyone here play Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous?

If so, how close is HOMM3 to the army building/combat side game in Pathfinder WOTR?

L*][*N*K

Banned
It truly is an amazing experience, One of the reasons why I am excited for Songs of Conquest because the makers of that game are diehard HMM3 fans

It truly is an amazing game. I’ll never forget my friend stopped playing against me because I would always beeline to get Angels asap and they were basically unstoppable.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
This thread has rekindled that HoMM fire in me. Any chance there's a way of playing it on iPadOS natively or there's an iPadOS game that's similar?

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member

Play the campaigns and stick with them (all HoMM games 2,3 and 5 have really fun campaigns for strategy fans). The game does get very hard at times. You do need to go to higher difficulties, and it's definitely a bit strategic because you don't always have the luxury to sit back and build up 4000 peasants and even if you did the AI will just zap them away with better units or another player would cast slow on them and they'd basically be eliminated due to their inability to move anywhere.

Hestar69

ah ok that sucks about the dlc stuff. I thought maybe it was unplayable..I guess if i ever play it and like it ill get teh gog version.

Alx

Stacking hordes of weak characters did in fact work… until you fight undead characters that will heal themselves by killing your grunts, or even worse turn them against you as ghosts or skeletons.
Peasants were not my go-to grunts since they advanced slowly and had to go melee to deal damage. While halflings or elves could attack from afar, and sprites were very fast (but weak)

Mr Branding

This game is my freaking childhood! It's also the first game that got my wife hooked on gaming. Superb strategy game, such a shame Ubisoft pretty much butchered the franchise.

Top Bottom