• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help a brother fix his newly purchased (but used) GPU

supernova8

Banned
(sorry if this is not the right place for it, I come here everyday and thought at least someone might be knowledgeable, fingers crossed)

So I just bought a GTX 1650 for $100 used (it's going for $200 used a lot where I live so $100 was a bargain).

The seller said that it made a bit of a weird nose since one of the fan blades broke off but said that the GPU itself does work fine. So I got it today, plugged it in and found that as soon as I run anything remotely intensive (I used the Unigine Heaven benchmark to check it worked properly and wasn't a fake model or something) it starts vibrating like crazy and the whole PC sounds (and felt) like it's going to take off into orbit.

"That's what happens when you buy used" - yes I regret it but it was either that or pay crazy scalper prices for something else. I was using an RX 560 2GB until now so this is actually a decent upgrade for me.

My initial reaction is that I probably need to buy a new GPU fan (or replace both) but I looked online and couldn't find any that said they fit a GTX 1650.

My questions are:
(1) Am I good with any replacement GPU fan as long as it's the right size and has the right connector?
(2) I've seen people using a soldering tool for that stuff but some without it. Do I absolutely need one of those? (Never used one before so difficulty level goes up)
(3) Is there anything else I could do to fix it while avoiding have to replace the GPU fan?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

GamingKaiju

1, yes a fan is fan as long it fits you shouldn’t have a problem. If you worried about the fitting just cut the block off and solder it to the fan. It may run hotter/colder than before but there is nothing you can do now.

2, Soldering tool? Like a helping hand? No they aren’t essential it just makes it easier to hold wires and boards in place so you can handle the solder and iron.

3. Do you have the fan blade? If so try some really strong adhesive and glue it back on.

supernova8

Banned
1, yes a fan is fan as long it fits you shouldn’t have a problem. If you worried about the fitting just cut the block off and solder it to the fan. It may run hotter/colder than before but there is nothing you can do now.

2, Soldering tool? Like a helping hand? No they aren’t essential it just makes it easier to hold wires and boards in place so you can handle the solder and iron.

3. Do you have the fan blade? If so try some really strong adhesive and glue it back on.

1> OK that's what I was hoping. I'll measure the fan diameter and see what I can find online.

2> OK great

3> Nope it was just sent as it is with the fan pretty broken off (and gone). I have no idea how it broke but no point crying over spilt milk.

supernova8

Banned
which 1650 is it? msi gaming x , gigabyte ?
it's the ASUS "Phoenix" 1650 4GB OC model

I think it's basically this one based on what my box looks like and what the shroud looks like.

mansoor1980

Gold Member

I think it's basically this one based on what my box looks like and what the shroud looks like.
the phoenix is pretty loud i think , even the new ones r noisy , not sure if getting a replacement fan will keep it quiet

Schmick

the phoenix is pretty loud i think , even the new ones r noisy , not sure if getting a replacement fan will keep it quiet
Certainly replacing the broken fan will lower the noise. My friend broke a fin on is fan of a Asus 1070 Dual. Happened because he didn't clear the internal cables away from the GPU before turning the PC on. He actually put up with the noise and vibration for sometime because he was nervous about fitting the fan himself. In the end he bought a replacement on eBay. He told me it was pretty easy to replace. Extra noise and vibration, eradicated afterwards.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

In this case dissample the cooler from shroud with fans and put normal 12cm fan there and plug it into your motherboard and see what those temperatures are. Mostl likely they would be good enough...

Top Bottom