• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade enhancements vs GOT directors cuts enhancements (Yes, this is post upset at Sony for charging)

What Hellblade released today for their enhancements

Ray tracing on both Series X & S
  • Up to 4K resolution
  • Up to 120hz
  • Updated materials, particles and details
  • Chapter select

What GOT is offereing for the ps4 > ps5 upgrades

• Japanese lip-sync
  • Duelsense Support functionality
  • Reduced load times
  • 3D audio
  • Dynamic 4K 60 FPS
Again, charging for the expansion is fine, but this is the 2nd time in two month the competition is offering a more robust technical upgrade for free while us PS5 owners are being charged for what should be free. Having to pay for 4k 60 is the most disappointing part as that is becoming standard now in the industry. I know most ps5 owners won't put pressure on Sony, but this should continued to be pointed out in comparisons every chance they get.
So raising the resolution and changing a few settings is the same thing as going back and adding Japanese lip-syncing for hours of cinematic scenes, dualsense integration, 3D audio etc? The good thing is you don't have to buy those things and you still have the dynamic 4K/60fps because that was done for free already.

FranXico

Nice. Fantastic, always looking after consumers! Such generous and virtuous guys! When can people upgrade their PS4 version?

Thirty7ven

Banned
If you consider an fps cap removal an "upgrade" yeah..

It is, but in the name of the PlayStation community let me just tell all the Xbox fanboys how touched we all are that you care so much about us and PlayStation in general.

If only the lot of you can convince us to stop buying games, stop buying hardware, and overall just make us broke as fuck, then that might convince Sony to… you know… do the whole dollar store thing.

Last edited:

sn0man

I really want to which is why I'm continually disappointed. Just 4k 60 support is what I want. I wish that part wasn't tied behind dlc and even worse behind an extra 10$ to upgrade. Feels like i'm being punished at this point for being an early adopter.
For me this is a slight upgrade. Spider-Man updates and upgrades were vouchers inside the MM package. My understanding is that this game is a proper rerelease media with all the updates and enhancements.

this rewards me, the not early adopter.

for everyone in general uprezing and other mild touch ups should just be free or some modicum charge like $1 if for accounting they needed it. The DLC being a separate charge to everyone seems fine (or as fine as DLC ever is, which is questionable and dependent on the actual amount of content).

cireza

Since GOT directors cut was announced.
Read my post, it happened often in the past, now is not more relevant than before. And many other games had huge updates, like Recore for example (One X, Series X and new content, all for free). Ori as well.

Last edited:

Concern

I do think its overrated in the area of combat, if you want use the best stance for the enemy type all the time it became quite boring after like 40 hours for me, I started using the wrong stance to make it more exciting. I think the visuals are consistently amazing and the exploration is really relaxing and fun but the "bird directing you to content" part was kinda pointless in the end (If you use the map/look for smoke) and I thought that would be much more than it ended up being. I was hoping that there would be a bigger connection between all the wildlife and finding stuff in-game diagetically but it was just a (pretty badly programmed) bird every time, they didn't even give you different coloured birds.

So that stuff was a letdown for me, and depending on what you value (pure gameplay/combat vs. immersion/ambiance/"art") that could take it down only a few points or as much as 10-15 points on an absolute scale. I still haven't finished the main game, but I doubt I would replay the main campaign again even with the upgrades, its a bit too bloated but they are afraid to release short games these days unfortunately.

I think I overhyped it in my mind after BotW and how much I loved how that did an open world and exploration so its my own fault, but I don't know if casuals or people are new to the genre would think about these problems I have with it, plus they'd probably not do everything on the map like I did and not get burnt out/bored.

I loved everything although I agree with the combat part. Game got a little repetitive doing all the side objectives. But its also rare for me to go after all the side objectives, unless I really enjoy the game.

Hence why I definitely wouldn't buy for $70 or even the $30 upgrade. I already did everything and that was enough. Im only interested in the expansion. I've seen people chalk it up to being a "Japanese assassins creed" and its a fair assessment imo.

Luipadre

Like I said before. Sony is becoming greedy Mfers and anti customer worse than the ps3 days.
people should fucking talk with their wallet. Stop fucking being a cheep and buy whatever .
Sony already at loss with year to year of numbers of ps+ plus members ( even though the ps5 was released in addition to the ps4 user base )

keep them pressured till they fucking break and kick the old mfer bitch out of the company along side his minions and go back to HQ in Japan.

enough with the bullshit from SJW shit to censoring games to ugly fat fucks main characters to extra charging per game when everyone other competition is still 60$ For their first party games .

how will they change when even the hardcore Sony fanboys in this very forum are cheep and just follow / buy without even thinking .

( oh it’s a new game from Sony it’s ok I’ll bend over and get fucked money wise so I can buy it )

pathetic really.
I do own a ps5 but fuck if I am buying a single game at 90$ Canadian ( 100$ after tax ).
They can fuck off money doesn’t grow on a tree even if I have it and not a money concerned.

They are on a really high horse for sure. Im really glad xbox is doing great because it will force sony to get off the high horse in the future

Read my post. And many other games had huge updates, like Recore for example (One X, Series X and new content, all for free). Ori as well.
I guess I was talking the more substantial updates like the addition of raytracing and a 120fps mode. I was refering to this and Doom. GOW and ori also did but that was before Sony announced the directors cut.

Fbh

Sony is like Nintendo now to me. Shitty company I still support because I like their games too much to avoid them.

It just sucks that I don't really care about most MS games. I like pretty much everything about the series X more than the Ps5.....except the games.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Sony will continue to rip you off as long as people are paying for this crap. Not saying “vote with your wallet” because that’s a dumb argument when your wallet is one of millions.

I do think making a stink online is the only way to put pressure on them as most fans are just going to happily bend over for their overlords.

Negative press is about the only tool here. See cross-play, refunds, etc.

Discuss ? This is a forum.

yes sony are charging for upgrades. what more is there to say? it would be way better if it was free, sure. but it aint. just like it would be better if i could get nintendo games cheaper but i cant. you can do what you want with your money. we cant force these companies to change. you have to decide if its worth spending your money or not on whatever product or service it is. there isnt much more to discuss beyond that.

Last edited:

elliot5

It is, but in the name of the PlayStation community let me just tell all the Xbox fanboys how touched we all are that you care so much about us and PlayStation in general.

If only the lot of you can convince us to stop buying games, stop buying hardware, and overall just make us broke as fuck, then that might convince Sony to… you know… do the whole dollar store thing.
Idk why you assume I'm an Xbox fanboy because I don't find value in some business decisions.

Sony will continue to rip you off as long as people are paying for this crap. Not saying “vote with your wallet” because that’s a dumb argument when your wallet is one of millions.

I do think making a stink online is the only way to put pressure on them as most fans are just going to happily bend over for their overlords.

Negative press is about the only tool here. See cross-play, refunds, etc.
I agree which is why the bare minimum I can do is not buy it myself, and post about it in gaming forums...its not much but like you said, its effective if enough people do get behind it. The whole Xbox one generation shifted due to people voting with their wallets and discussion about shitty policy. I think in this case it has to be on going for a while to the point where it seems like sony is the only one.

cireza

I guess I was talking the more substantial updates like the addition of raytracing and a 120fps mode. I was refering to this and Doom. GOW and ori also did but that was before Sony announced the directors cut.
I have been playing on Xbox since Sunset Overdrive and the drop of Kinect, I can tell you that MS has done a fantastic job with BC and game updates. Makes you feel like your purchases and money spent are being respected. They also offered many free games like Lost Odyssey or Witcher 2.

They do this because they accept to invest money in it for the consumers. MCC has been updated during the entire generation, it has nothing to do with BC. I played all Halo games when it was released, and discovered a ton of new updates for free years later. If I remember correctly, Halo 2 was entirely remastered for no additional cost.

Investing in BC is another choice they made. Sony could have made the same but they did not, and we all know why. It is for the exact same reason that they are charging today for updates. If PS consumers are okay with this, then that's fine I guess.
Sony actually releases games. Xbox is an option for people. If they wanna save money, they should head there. I bought TloU2 day one. I waited to play Spiderman:MM for 35 bucks. And now I bought GOT:DC for 70$. People can wait. Prices go down.

Papacheeks

Banned
How important is:
  • Japanese lip-sync
  • Duelsense Support functionality
  • Reduced load times
  • 3D audio
To you? If it's not worth the $10 to upgrade to the PS5 version, don't get it (or wait and the price will go down, especially the disc version) and just play the PS4 version on the PS5 in ~4k 60fps.
Load times are already really fast on the PS4, at least for fast travel.

Also ghost itself has fast loading even on base PS4. SO honestly what your really missing is dual sense and fixed japanese lipsync.

If thats not worth 10$ then play the PS4 version with 4k/60 and be happy on PS5. It's not like there are no options. It's one thing if there was no free 4k@60 update to PS4 version. But those are all free for days gone, gow, ghost.

cireza

yes sony are charging for upgrades. what more is there to say? it would be way better if it was free, sure. but it aint. just like it would be better if i could get nintendo games cheaper but i cant. you can do what you want with your money. we cant force these companies to change. you have to decide if its worth spending your money or not on whatever product or seevice it is.
I agree with your opinion but discussing it here and help people realize the situation is not a bad thing. Of course if people keep paying for this, it validates Sony's strategy.

As far as I am concerned, I decided to stop giving money to Sony, and much less to Nintendo, quite some time ago because of their attitude. I have to say that how they handled both the Vita and the Wii U played a pretty big part in the poor image I have from both companies.

Kuranghi

They are on a really high horse for sure. Im really glad xbox is doing great because it will force sony to get off the high horse in the future

The problem is, the horse could have its legs chopped off and be eviscerated and Sony would still pretend it was healthy and doing fine, it really takes a lot to get them out of Arogant mode once they are deep in it.

Often the overcompensate as well, my experience in TVs was they reacted to their 2016-2019 high end LCD TV sales being effed in the a by Samsung and LGs aggressive pricing (the spec wasn't as good as Sonys sets ofc but the price difference to quality ratio was still too much for average joes to notice a big enough difference to justify the massively increased cost) by removing the super high/high end LCD range altogether and even gimping their mid range stuff in 2020 before coming back with the new chipset in 2021.

FranXico

If thats not worth 10$ then play the PS4 version with 4k/60 and be happy on PS5.
It's good enough an upgrade, but of course I would have prefered a more comprehensive upgrade for free.

More, more, more!

Also, funny how when PSN offered 10 games for free to EVERYONE, nobody called MS the Devil for not doing the same.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Microsoft have been building their backwards compatibility strategy and technology for years.

When you're behind the market leaders you need to offer valueadds to complement the hardware. It's meant to make you look and desire it. They look to have done well but it doesn't mean Sony is doing anything wrong. Sony usually add an up to date/optimised version of a previous title as a valueadd to another purchase. They're just different that's all.

As consumers now, we can demand better of Sony with regards to free patches because of the competition. They can either listen or continue to bundle them in with complete/updated/director cut versions......

I do think its overrated in the area of combat, if you want use the best stance for the enemy type all the time it became quite boring after like 40 hours for me, I started using the wrong stance to make it more exciting. I think the visuals are consistently amazing and the exploration is really relaxing and fun but the "bird directing you to content" part was kinda pointless in the end (If you use the map/look for smoke) and I thought that would be much more than it ended up being. I was hoping that there would be a bigger connection between all the wildlife and finding stuff in-game diagetically but it was just a (pretty badly programmed) bird every time, they didn't even give you different coloured birds.

So that stuff was a letdown for me, and depending on what you value (pure gameplay/combat vs. immersion/ambiance/"art") that could take it down only a few points or as much as 10-15 points on an absolute scale. I still haven't finished the main game, but I doubt I would replay the main campaign again even with the upgrades, its a bit too bloated but they are afraid to release short games these days unfortunately.

I think I overhyped it in my mind after BotW and how much I loved how that did an open world and exploration so its my own fault, but I don't know if casuals or people are new to the genre would think about these problems I have with it, plus they'd probably not do everything on the map like I did and not get burnt out/bored.
Its properly rated at an 83 but it got a pretty big fan boost since it came out around the time everyone was mad at the last of us. It's a really good game I'd love to complete, but it kind of fell to my backlog cause I thought the ps5 version would be smart delivery and just give the best version (technically) for free.

Kuranghi

I loved everything although I agree with the combat part. Game got a little repetitive doing all the side objectives. But its also rare for me to go after all the side objectives, unless I really enjoy the game.

Hence why I definitely wouldn't buy for $70 or even the $30 upgrade. I already did everything and that was enough. Im only interested in the expansion. I've seen people chalk it up to being a "Japanese assassins creed" and its a fair assessment imo.

I think the "people don't normally do all side content in games wanting to do everything" effect in GoT is because the world is so beautiful, immersive and coherent, in AC games you'll see some nonsense like a boat stuck in the land or people just disappearing after missions that really takes you out of it so even though GoT doesn't really have any more depth to the interaction with the world over AC (Even less in some cases) it does have that great immersion.

Papacheeks

Banned
It's good enough an upgrade, but of course I would have prefered a more comprehensive upgrade for free.

More, more, more!

Also, funny how when PSN offered 10 games for free to EVERYONE, nobody called MS the Devil for not doing the same.

I know right? How about when Sony gave Horizon zero dawn complete for free to everyone? During their play at home initiative?

Like the mulitiplayer that was added for free to ghost is like destiny raids? Lots of content.......for free.

Three

Even less incentive to go back and upgrade it for free.
With a sequel coming out and it already being on PC? No you're wrong. You were saying that they 'outperformed them' becuase it's 4k 120hz. It's that because it's an old game that isn't as demanding anymore.

These are just like the framerate caps being removed which was already done for GoT for free. Lip syncing animations adding dual sense support and a whole new island are actually what takes dev work. Not mostly already existing PC features in your new console release.

Papacheeks

Banned
LoL at sony defense force.. this is a forum, people talk, he doesn't want you to do anything, he wants to talk about the subject, If you're not interested,hide the thread

Thats not the issue. Issue is its been talked about to death already in previous threads dedicated to "Sony charging for upgrades". This OP has history of doing this for the sake of continuing the discussion.

Ezekiel_

Banned
Here's the simple truth :

Games have been MSRP $59.99US for a while now.

Gen5 native games : $49.99-59.99US
Gen6 native games : $49.99US
Gen7 native games : $59.99US
Gen8 native games : $59.99US

Now for this gen, Sony and third parties upped the price to $69.99US.

Sure, 10$ uptake seems quite the jump. They probably should've made Gen8 native games $64.99, but no one wanted to risk it back then.

Ironically, it was Sony with it's disk drive based games that drove the prices down compared to Nintendo cartridge based games.

The fact of the manner is, videogame prices haven’t kept pace with the value of a dollar. (Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data)

Basically, the price of any entertainment went up in the past 15 years, except videogames (ie : The price of a movie ticket, etc).

Publishers came up with ways to extract more dollars by offering "Deluxe editions", DLCs, microtransactions, etc.

The GoT situation is the logical conclusion from that : PS5 native GoT is $10 more then it's PS4 equivalent.

And you can be damn sure that once Microsoft releases a Xbox series exclusive native game, they're going to price it MSRP $69.99US.

But like many have already said in this thread : vote with your wallet. If you don't think the PS5 enhancements are worth 10$, stick with the PS4 version, which already received a free 60fps PS5 patch, plus a whole new multiplayer mode.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Its properly rated at an 83 but it got a pretty big fan boost since it came out around the time everyone was mad at the last of us. It's a really good game I'd love to complete, but it kind of fell to my backlog cause I thought the ps5 version would be smart delivery and just give the best version (technically) for free.

I can definitely see 83 if you are considering every aspect equally, I'm happy to play games with less tight gameplay/variety if the immersion/beauty/whatever the fuck you want to call it can offset that, so I give it like 88 personally.

These threads are confusing me.
I still do not have a PS5.
If I get Horizon zero Dawn forbidden west on the PS4 pro. Then get a Ps5 later. What happens? Does it automatically become the ps5 version? Do I pay 10 bucks to make it a ps5 version? Do I rebuy the entire game at 70 dollars?
Sony what are you doing?

Pedro Motta

As long as rabid fanboys support it, its here to stay.

As great as GoT was, I'm glad I only rented it. Got the platinum and returned it. When I have the Ps5, I'll just rent it again if its included on the physical edition just for the expansion. I have no interest in replaying the whole game again.

Best advice is vote with your wallet. This post is just noise in an echo chamber here and just considered "trolling".
Can you please tell us your opinion on Hellblade? I'm so interested in it.

Boss Mog

I don't care that Sony charged, but I do care that they charged so much. Should've been $40 for the stand alone PS5 version and $20 for the upgrade from PS4.

Top Bottom