• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zheph

Maybe not as much as you think. The game is VERY blurry and letterboxed. I don't think you will notice much of a difference on 1440p display vs. 4K since it's nowhere close to rendering at that resolution, depending on your rig power of course but I am playing on XSX
I got a 3070 ti, excepting decent perf to be honest but I have an amazing oled TV. I'm playing on a friend's PC Gamepass account so the TV isn't an option here

ProtoByte

i just listen to a very insightful comment about the lack of definition of what success means inside a team/company; the negative effects of lacking a clear goal/guide to aim your efforts

if Xbox can't define what success means to its teams it will have a severe impact on the most important people in a tean, those top performer individualsare are the ones carrying the entire studio/game

HB2's faliure at improving at the things stablished in the first game, feels like they were starting from scratch, that the key people left or lost focus.
True, but to be honest, I don't see how anyone at Ninja Theory thought this was acceptable. There's needing clearly defined goals, and then there's this level of incompetence.

"Don't make a game that's even less interactive than your last one" shouldn't be hard to figure out.
the latest issues at ND are a bit more complicated. neil abandoned them after 2020 to go make a tv show, and had to be summoned back. they ended up taking over that stupid VSG remake project in his absence that they had to deliver. they also wasted 5 years on factions because of jimbo and herman.
Like I said, I know Naughty Dog had other issues.

In NT's case, Microrosft shouldve intervened as soon as the original pitch was delivered and NT told them that the combat would barely be in the game, and it would be a carbon copy of the first game with few combat scenarios, and even more walking. Phil shouldve been like no, go back to the drawing board and make a real video game.
You see though how more people wasn't going to solve this problem? It's symbolic of the mentality at Xbox game studios in general. The first instinct is not to put in the most effort.

TBiddy

You see though how more people wasn't going to solve this problem? It's symbolic of the mentality at Xbox game studios in general. The first instinct is not to put in the most effort.

That seems like a far-fetched conclusion. Why are you assuming that the employees aren't giving it their best?

Mortisfacio

Banned
So, someone saying they think something looks boring from a trailer but then actually enjoying it when it's out and they play it is something to be attacked for?

Fuck that noise.

100% agreed.

I thought BG3 looked incredibly boring during the leadup. Even after it launched, I watched twitch streams and thought it looked terrible. But i bit into the FOMO as steam player counts spiked. It ended up being my GOTY. I think it should be OK to change an opinion after actually trying it.

Last edited:
True, but to be honest, I don't see how anyone at Ninja Theory thought this was acceptable. There's needing clearly defined goals, and then there's this level of incompetence.

"Don't make a game that's even less interactive than your last one" shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Like I said, I know Naughty Dog had other issues.

For me, you're just a shit-stirrer.

Ninja Theory made the game they wanted to make and tell the story they wanted to tell.
It's also insulting to make out that the teams making the game games don't put effort in, it's clear to see when you play this game a lot of effort and care went into it, even if one doesn't like the game or the gameplay.

I couldn't get into DeathLop but it was clear that effort and time went into the game and speaking of Arkane France, they show you don't need a massive team to make great games or games that review well one should say

Bernardougf

Gold Member
So, someone saying they think something looks boring from a trailer but then actually enjoying it when it's out and they play it is something to be attacked for?

Fuck that noise.
Are you purposely forgetting he said he couldn't finish the first game ? And watching the trailer it felt like the same thing ( which it is but with even less gameplay) ... but now the second game, that is exactly like the first but prettier and with less game play, is a 12/10 goty ??? why cant you people be honest in just one topic ? Its Phils disease or something ? ... but what to expect from you.. that still puts this neutral bullshit persona that nobody buys and then proceeds to astroturf Xbox's threads as the massive xbox fanboy you are. I guess the ban didn't do nothing. But continue crying about how Gaf moderation is unfair. Is always amusing.

Aaron Olive

4 is bad....a failure in execution. it seems more clear to me that a lot of outlets were kinder to this game for whatever reason.
Season 3 Money GIF by The Simpsons

S0ULZB0URNE

Please don't get banned for GHG GHG . His entire online persona is to antagonise anyone who enjoys something xbox. He'll post anything to get under your skin and it has worked here...

It's happened to many users including myself.

He won't get banned, somehow...best to stay ignoring him and don't engage with the guy. Or youw I'll end up banned and he moves onto the next person who mentions they liked something xbox.

Quoting someone saying they don't think they'll like something before they've tried playing/watching is just sad. It's like you can't be won over in this world or admit you changed your opinion. It's Internet 101 and why people get cancelled. Sad as fuck.
Trying to bait him smh

sncvsrtoip

I love the water waves. To me, horizon fw has the best water right now but their waves have been topped by hellblade 2. there are little streams in the second and third levels that look simply beautiful too. a lot of games try to fake those streams but this looks real enough to be fluid simulation. even though its likely faked as well.

xCbESWi.gif

how far into the game are you? the third and fourth level in the game have really great draw distance. keep playing. the levels are still closed off but they feel huge because the draw distance is massive. And the detail is retained far into the distance.

OiDZFml.gif

the rest though. completely agree. they shouldnt have made hellblade 2. make something else, something more epic and fun like heavenly sword or DmC. this feels like an indie game and it just feels weird to see this much work go into a game that is practically 90% walking and cutscenes. crazy this took them nearly five years to make. they need a bigger team. i heard they had 80 devs work on this. why? ND had 75 people work on uncharted 1 and boosted up to 150 people in uncharted 2 15 years ago. now they have almost 400 devs. You cant be making AAA games with 80 devs in 2024.
Sometimes water can looks great but its not consistent, I saw realy ugly behaviour. Im not far and will continue to play for graphics as can looks awsome (probably most cgi game looking I've ever seen) ;)

Last edited:
Are you purposely forgetting he said he couldn't finish the first game ? And watching the trailer it felt like the same thing ( which it is but with even less gameplay) ... but now the second game, that is exactly like the first but prettier and with less game play, is a 12/10 goty ??? why cant you people be honest in just one topic ? Its Phils disease or something ? ... but what to expect from you.. that still puts this neutral bullshit persona that nobody buys and then proceeds to astroturf Xbox's threads as the massive xbox fanboy you are. I guess the ban didn't do nothing. But continue crying about how Gaf moderation is unfair. Is always amusing.
I mean the dude said he went back and played the first one again after and it clicked for him. You’ve never had this happen for you? Again I am confused how this post is an example of a “gotcha” - it’s not like the guy was shitting on the HB2 trailer cus it was a ps4 game, it was last year, it was a trailer for an Xbox exclusive game. Maybe he just really actually liked the game. He compared it to Avatar. Which is a movie highly dependent on the 3D visual experience, the technical wonder of it - over everything else - I can imagine some people would get really into it for that exact reason.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I thought he made a post saying that he later went back to the first game, tried it again and enjoyed it.

Have you never watched a film, or played a game that you couldn't get into at the time, maybe due to being tired or now in the mood for that type of experience, only to try it again later and love it?

It's like some of you lot can't allow someone to be human.

And keep taking your digs at me and throwing aorund the atroturfing statements you all seem to strangely make about anyone enjoying anything related to xbox. Water off a ducks back....

Skifi28

Gold Member
I mean the dude said he went back and played the first one again after and it clicked for him. You’ve never had this happen for you?
Let me guess, it didn't click while it was a Sony exclusive but when it was on Xbox it suddenly did.

I'm sure we've all had games that clicked on the second or even third attempt, but when you've been on GAF for years and seen all the fanboy crap certain users have been constantly posting without shame it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt even if they did happen to be honest for once. That's on them.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I thought he made a post saying that he later went back to the first game, tried it again and enjoyed it.

Have you never watched a film, or played a game that you couldn't get into at the time, maybe due to being tired or now in the mood for that type of experience, only to try it again later and love it?

And keep taking your digs at me and throwing aorund the atroturfing statements you all seem to strangely make about anyone enjoying anything related to xbox. Water off a ducks back....
You trust someone who loves Redfall?
didnt-think-so-morpheus.gif

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Ironically, I’ve expressed nothing but good things for Hellblade and saw none of what you’re claiming. Approach is key.

That said, Miku is someone I like, so despite periodic disagreements, I feel a bit bad for him. At the same time, I get holding people to their words, while also knowing that a form of entertainment can cause you to change a previous stance, so it remains complicated.

Since this is a review thread though, you have to expect folks will critique, particularly harshly if said game has ever been used as ammo to prop a brand. Happens with PlayStation games all the time.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Ironically, I’ve expressed nothing but good things for Hellblade and saw none of what you’re claiming. Approach is key.

That said, Miku is someone I like, so despite periodic disagreements, I feel a bit bad for him. At the same time, I get holding people to their words, while also knowing that a form of entertainment can cause you to change a previous stance, so it remains complicated.

Since this is a review thread though, you have to expect folks will critique, particularly harshly if said game has ever been used as ammo to prop a brand. Happens with PlayStation games all the time.

I think everyone is okay with criticism and the occasional bit of warring. But this thread is a shit show. Personal attacks, derailing, 'death wishing' and what have you.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I think everyone is okay with criticism and the occasional bit of warring. But this thread is a shit show. Personal attacks, derailing, 'death wishing' and what have you.
It’s honestly not much different than any other thread containing an exclusive title.

And the “shit show” has come from multiple sides - again, like most review threads for an exclusive game.

Last edited:

Zathalus

It’s honestly not much different than any other thread containing an exclusive title.

And the “shit show” has come from multiple sides - again, like most review threads for an exclusive game.
The only other recent review thread this bad was the Starfield one.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I don't see how that is an excuse for people to act like that.
I didn’t give an excuse. I gave a bottom line. If you want something done about it, report it.

Zathalus Zathalus

Again, we can complain about it, ignore it, or report it. This isn’t a new phenomenon. Threads containing exclusive games get like this.

Last edited:
I don't see how that is an excuse for people to act like that.
A couple years back there was a pinned "warning" from the mod team to reduce the warring IIRC. We had a minute or two when you could visit threads without stepping into a shitshow. As soon as that warning was gone we went back to this what people probably consider normal behaviour.

Bernardougf

Gold Member

Na.. sorry.. your lot get zero benefit of the doubt.. that time has come and gone. Nobody buys your bullshit outside yourselfs.

And there is a lot of players here in this thread saying they enjoyed the game very much and noone is picking on them. There is a reason some of you are being singled out.

Last edited:

graywolf323

A couple years back there was a pinned "warning" from the mod team to reduce the warring IIRC. We had a minute or two when you could visit threads without stepping into a shitshow. As soon as that warning was gone we went back to this what people probably consider normal behaviour.
honestly I think all that warning ended up doing was result in a lot more alt accounts popping up, it’s not like the behavior ever went away

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just fired it up now on my RTX 3080 PC and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD 😱

WTF kind of sorcery is this? I've barely walked 10 feet and already photomode happy 😂

Praise The Lord Applause GIF

full

--

Rule 1 on the internet, never take anything too seriously and lose your patience over small things.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The Order offered better gameplay than this.
Surprised No Way GIF by Laff

Uh? As someone who played The Order for the second time less than 6 month ago, I strongly disagree. I couldn't even finish the game even if I LOVE the period, the art style and Werewolves. It was just too boring.
I'm not saying Hellblade II is a masterpiece, but so far I'm much more interested/invested in it than anything coming from The Order.

And I don't see what gameplay The Order has that is better than HBII.

Top Bottom