• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think Dragons Lair had more button pressing

PunsMgK.jpeg

Embearded

You're basically describing Ryse: Son of Rome and The Order 1886. These were also technical showcases, but they are not remembered fondly as titles that were successful in terms of their gameplay, story and length

Also, saying "if genre isn't for you, move on" is kinda misleading as when you see Hellblade's gameplay and you haven't played the first game, your first impressions will be that it's something closer to games like God of War reboot or A Plague's Tale, which are much longer and more complex in terms of their gameplay. Not to even mention that you assume that people who have issues with this game doesn't even like that genre

I accept the genre part.
No idea how Hellblade can be of the same genre as GoW. According to Wikipedia its an action adventure, hack and slash game, hmm...

Dazraell

Gold Member
I accept the genre part.
No idea how Hellblade can be of the same genre as GoW. According to Wikipedia its an action adventure, hack and slash game, hmm...
Look at the gameplays for both. Same over-the-shoulder camera angle as GoW 2018, general presentation, story told in a single take, both have Norse mythology themes, etc

Last edited:
I wonder how much this game cost to make?

After sales and “engagement” how financially successful will Hellblade 2 be?

Artists can use their medium to express themselves or artists can use their medium to sell what people want to buy and make money.

How long will Microsoft let Ninja Theory make games that nobody wants to buy?

I accept the genre part.
The problem is people got their expectations up that this would be a massive AAA game, like GOW. But that is what happens when Xbox showcased the game at every major event over a 4 year period. It was only 4 months ago, at the Development Direct, did they clarify it is a shorter experience that would be sold for 50$. It was always a glorified tech demo, but Xbox mislead people thinking it was a full blown AAA game

Mr Moose

Spreading misinformation as usual I see, pathetic but expected.

"It’s been seven years since the last [Hellblade] game, but we’ve been working on it [Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2] for less time than that," remarked Matthews.

Full production started in 2020, its more like 4yrs. I really wish you'd at least check before posting nonsense 😉
The fuck were they doing 2017-2020?

The problem is people got their expectations up that this would be a massive AAA game, like GOW. But that is what happens when Xbox showcased the game at every major event over a 4 year period. It was only 4 months ago, at the Development Direct, did they clarify it is a shorter experience that would be sold for 50$. It was always a glorified tech demo, but Xbox mislead people thinking it was a full blown AAA game

To me it looks like an AAA title: production values, technology behind it, acting, audio, and a well-known studio behind it.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
I never said Bleeding Edge was made by the entire studio. They were also working on Project Mara and The Insight Project and possibly other experimental projects. And it's perfectly compatible with what I quoted that they had some people on the project before 2020. (We also know the project was announced with 40 people, so it wasn't 75% of the studio).

My point is that they directly state they were not working on the game for 7 years.

I don't see how you can contradict the direct word of the developer. You also have to remember that they were only acquired in mid-2018. So it's perfectly possible that before the acquisition they didn't have the resources to work on Bleeding Edge and Hellblade 2 at the same time.

My favorite part is relying on a quote from the devs so that he can ignore another quote from the devs because it goes against his agenda 😆

Dazraell

Gold Member
Don't see how those are comparable, Ryse was an awesome game from start to finish, loved the combat mechanics in that one.
I mean, this is subjective. Ryse looked great, but to me it had a weak story, was way too short and didn't really have too much gameplay variety. Combat was nice, but I remember being it way too simple for my liking

But for comparison, my point was that both Ryse and Order shared the same issues mentioned by players and reviewers (short length, weak story, gameplay doesn't had too much variety, etc). A lot of these things are mentioned also with Hellblade 2, although to be perfectly fair, the game scored much better in reviews than Ryse and Order

JackMcGunns

How is the audio outside of headphones? I have a 7.1.2 setup.. I don't want to deal with headphones.

Eh, disappointing, it sounds like they mixed the binaurals for the 2 front speakers. I have a nice 7.4.4 Atmos setup and no chills felt.

Until…..

Thankfully I have a receiver where I can assign my stereo speakers and I assigned my Surrounds (Placed left - right facing me) and Wow! Better than with my headphones!! I have the Onkyo Z50, not sure if many receivers can do this, but I highly recommend this setup.

See diagram below, I assumed my stereo speakers here

FLvGxSB.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

Darsxx82

The fuck were they doing 2017-2020?
It's not that I'm excusing them. In fact, I think 2023 should have been the understandable release date

But at that time there were 40 people (today 80) and after the PS4 version they got on with the Xbox versions, and then Pro consoles while half of the Studio (15-20 people worked on Bleeding Edge. Time to recruit new developers, more they change to a new office due to space needs, Xseries version HB 1, new mocap studio, arrival of the problems linked to COVID and finally an unfinished UE5 and no optimization on consoles......

It can be said that they did not have all the desired free hand.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I mean, this is subjective. Ryse looked great, but to me it had a weak story, was way too short and didn't really have too much gameplay variety. Combat was nice, but I remember being it way too simple for my liking

I don't think Ryse's problems had much to do with the story or the length, personally (I think I remember wanting it to be over towards the end).

I think the game would have been pretty warmly received if it had a better combat system, I agree that it was too simple, not enough variety either in what your character did or the enemies that you face.

I reckon everyone who worked on the game knew it but had to hit the deadline.

I honestly am sort of surprised they haven't made a sequel that fixed the problems of the original. Maybe Microsoft owns the rights and don't see potential, and to be fair, linear hack and slash games like that aren't exactly in vogue.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Eh, disappointing, it sounds like they mixed the binaurals for the 2 front speakers. I have a nice 7.4.4 Atmos setup and no chills felt.

Until…..

Thankfully I have a receiver where I can assign my stereo speakers and I assigned my Surrounds (Placed left - right facing me) and Wow! Better than with my headphones!! I have the Onkyo Z50, not sure if many receivers can do this, but I highly recommend this setup.
100% I felt incredibly down on how bad it sounds, maybe bad is not the right word.. I have a smaller setup 7.1.2. I'm going to check my Pioneer 505 see what I can do.

Dazraell

Gold Member
I don't think Ryse's problems had much to do with the story or the length, personally (I think I remember wanting it to be over towards the end).

I think the game would have been pretty warmly received if it had a better combat system, I agree that it was too simple, not enough variety either in what your character did or the enemies that you face.

I reckon everyone who worked on the game knew it but had to hit the deadline.

I honestly am sort of surprised they haven't made a sequel that fixed the problems of the original. Maybe Microsoft owns the rights and don't see potential.
For what it's worth, I thought it was a fun game. It didn't blew me away and I had some issues with it, but it was a nice 6 hours long experience. I have a very similar opinion about Order. I liked the setting, the whole concept and main protagonist, but didn't liked the gameplay, story had very odd pacing and I was baffled that someone thought artificially bumping numbers of chapters by making them as cutscenes is a good idea

And there is one more thing that both Order and Ryse shared. I would wish to see proper sequels for both which would use foundations they made for first entry, build on top of them and create much more complex games that keep what worked and refine what didn't. I was hoping Hellblade 2 will be that type of sequel, which I guess is main reason why I feel so disappointed

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
And there is one more thing that both Order and Ryse shared. I would wish to see proper sequels for both which would use foundations they made for first entry, build on top of them and create much more complex games that keep what worked and refine what didn't. I was hoping Hellblade 2 will be that type of sequel, which I guess is main reason why I feel so disappointed
Yeah, I think we broadly agree.

I will say that I had incredibly low expectations for Hellblade 2, and what I played of it yesterday seemed better than I was expecting. I think mileage will 100% vary based on expectations and preferences. I think on a given day, I absolutely would not enjoy Hellblade 2, but on another, I might be up for more of an "experience" and I think it can deliver that, but you have to be in the mood for it and, in some cases that's just never going to happen.

However I think it's fair to say I'll never be in the mood for rune puzzles.

ProtoByte

Gold Member
Talk about an inefficient dev cycle.
The whole industry needs to recalibrate on that front, but I wonder if this is a new record.

Or, maybe, players are just trying to have a rational discussion about a game. A game that for some odd reason a certain set of users seem personally injured by. Not sure what the common thread on that could be about.

So far I'm not seeing any Xbox players here expecting this to be a life altering experience, in fact most have framed the game as an improved version of the first. Playstation players are the only ones that ever mention GoW in relation to this game.
Is it personally injured or you buy into a $500 eco system and instead of giving us games you give us a movie to watch. Wtf? Oscar bait level game for the game awards and it probably won’t even get a GOTY nom because it’s hardly a game.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I never said Bleeding Edge was made by the entire studio. They were also working on Project Mara and The Insight Project and possibly other experimental projects. And it's perfectly compatible with what I quoted that they had some people on the project before 2020. (We also know the project was announced with 40 people, so it wasn't 75% of the studio).

My point is that they directly state they were not working on the game for 7 years.

I don't see how you can contradict the direct word of the developer. You also have to remember that they were only acquired in mid-2018. So it's perfectly possible that before the acquisition they didn't have the resources to work on Bleeding Edge and Hellblade 2 at the same time.
So you are saying that they were working already on project Mara that is supposedly their next game... and when this game comes after 7-8 year.... and they tell you they only did in 4 ... you will eat their bullshit ? Or the narrative will change again ? ... xbox fans swallows lies like nothing... you will never learn ... and thats why you are where you are... is impressive and sad.

DaGwaphics

Is it personally injured or you buy into a $500 eco system and instead of giving us games you give us a movie to watch. Wtf? Oscar bait level game for the game awards and it probably won’t even get a GOTY nom because it’s hardly a game.

My first recommendation there would be to never buy a game without seeing the reviews and gauging authentic player reactions, that way if the game doesn't click for you no money is lost. This will be a game that will have its following but I expect it will remain niche like the first one. A movie style game can be interesting as a change of pace.

BigLee74

Well, after completing the first level, it’s pretty much exactly what I expected. The first game, but even better looking again. In some regards that’s a little disappointing, but given I enjoyed the first game, I’m also ok with it.

Absolutely stunning looking. The animations and general effects are utterly fantastic. Definitely the best looking console game I have played.

Too many clowns thinking this is not a game, too short, and going into full mock mode. Usual names, usual clique, usual agenda, transparent as fuck. It most definitely is a game. You don’t need one million buttons and mechanics to enjoy yourself (Ive had more fun with Brotato than any other game this year, and that just uses the direction stick!), and you certainly don’t need every game to be a 40+ hour slogathon.

Sometimes, you are just in the mood for simplistic mechanics and a relaxing vibe. Well, I say relaxing, but with the voices, screams, and ghostly sounds - it’s certainly a creepy atmosphere…

So not for everybody, but what ‘walking sim’ is? I completely understand the range in scores - both the 5s and the 10s. Having said that, my score would definitely place it towards the higher end.

BTW - very strong Ryse vibes playing this - another game which I thought was fantastic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom