• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

Could have just booked half the day

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You think HB2 will be “bearable” for you at 5 hours long?

A shorter game that doesn't overstay its welcome and/or pads the shit out of itself to artificially bloat game length will always be preferable. We have plenty of bloated experiences releasing these days, as it is.

You’re being generous here. She’s about a 4.5/10

Even tho I'm primarily an ass-man, I can appreciate a decent boob-window.

Last edited:
A shorter game that doesn't overstay its welcome and/or pads the shit out of itself to artificially bloat game length will always be preferable. We have plenty of bloated experiences releasing these days, as it is.

Watch the Luke review above

He says HB2 has tons of padding, basically there’s maybe 2 hours of “game” here with terrible content and puzzles and like 3 hours of nauseating walking sections padding the length

midnightAI

The usual suspects are out in force over this one. It's really hurting them that it's reviewing well and is a real next-gen technical showcase.
Can you not just leave your console bias to one side and realise that this game just isn't for everyone? There will be plenty of XBox fans not liking this game also.

I think the game is ok, but it's only next gen in the visual and audio department, the gameplay is positively archaic, but that's ok because I expected it to be that way.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I liked Hellblade 1, but it wasn't an instant classic for me or anything so I think I'll wait til this goes on sale.

midnightAI

Watch the Luke review above

He says HB2 has tons of padding, basically there’s maybe 2 hours of “game” here with terrible content and puzzles and like 3 hours of nauseating walking sections padding the length
This is true unfortunately, it is short and yet still has lots of padding, the game really is made to be a visual and audio experience rather than being a game, but again, if you expect that then that's fine (although for me it seems even less of a game than the first one, still, I like pretty things and this does the pretty very well)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's interesting to me that games like A Plague Tale 1&2 are incredibly similar to Hellblade 2. They're both cinematic story driven games, walking simulators, great visuals, female protagonist, etc. The biggest differences is that A Plague Tale is twice the length, better puzzle design, and is far more creative with it's gameplay, emphasizing stealth. Yet all these games have almost identical MC scores.

Plagues tale is awesome imo. Worthy of a solid 8.5 or 85.

Loved both of them.

It's interesting to me that games like A Plague Tale 1&2 are incredibly similar to Hellblade 2. They're both cinematic story driven games, walking simulators, great visuals, female protagonist, etc. The biggest differences is that A Plague Tale is twice the length, better puzzle design, and is far more creative with it's gameplay, emphasizing stealth. Yet all these games have almost identical MC scores.

Yep HB2 gets the pity bump inflated review scores and purchased reviews from the Klobrille Krew it seems

Wild to me that it’s above an 80 at the moment

You’re being generous here. She’s about a 4.5/10
Barely a 4 for me. She could maybe be a 6 without the overconfidence.

Imagine paying $12.50 an hour to walk around and light torches.
Imagine playing what looks to be a high presentation, graphically impressive, narrative focused game as part of an existing subscription. I can't wait to try it tonight.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I only started watching his reviews a couple of months ago.
Was he a bad reviewer before?

He openly plagiarized some shit when he was first starting out. It's not some hushed drama, he's mentioned it himself. He's not always my cup of tea, but seems like he's grown from that starting point, at any rate.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The biggest differences is that A Plague Tale is twice the length, better puzzle design, and is far more creative with it's gameplay, emphasizing stealth. Yet all these games have almost identical MC scores.
Calling stealth sequences in PT 'gameplay' is being ... incredibly generous, while puzzles were straight out of Uncharted school of design. And I say that as someone that liked the first game.
Also both games have substantially worse production values (arguably due to their length - but regardless) than equivalent Senua game - let's not pretend there's any sort of equivalences there.

Top Bottom