• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Where are how long to beat getting their data from?

Probably different sample sizes? Also that link is for Games Radar, I don't thik HLTB has any samples yet.

This is a much better / reliable source, the guys who actually do completionist stuff.

• Approximate amount of time to 100%: 8-10 hours

Hrk69

God Of War Kratos Dancing GIF by PlayStation

Gambit2483

When the dust settles I can't see this getting the same Metacritic as StellarBlade (a game with actual depth and mechanics)

Will pick up on Gamepass eventually.

Game runs surprisingly well for me. 4070 super 5800x3d, 4k dlss balanced frame gen on, everything else maxed. Getting between 85-90fps. Game is beautiful and the audio is crazy good.

The Series S version is one of the most blurry games I've seen in years lol. What is this? 640p? 540p?

It's interesting to me that games like A Plague Tale 1&2 are incredibly similar to Hellblade 2. They're both cinematic story driven games, walking simulators, great visuals, female protagonist, etc. The biggest differences is that A Plague Tale is twice the length, better puzzle design, and is far more creative with it's gameplay, emphasizing stealth. Yet all these games have almost identical MC scores.
I imagine Hellblade gets some extra points because it's about mental illness. Like don't get me wrong mental health is important and as somebody that suffers from depression and really bad anxiety I find it the franchise and direction intriguing, but I think a lot of the liberal gaming press (not trying to be overly political but it's well know that the gaming space is very liberal at least in the west) are giving it more recognition then it deserves because of the progressiveness of the characters.

I haven't played the game yet (I will download it on PC to at least try it), but everything Matty says here seems to make a lot of sense. I'm all for a gritty, dark, and depressing experience but this doesn't seem to work as a video game. I'm glad to hear it's short though.

Last edited:
When the dust settles I can't see this getting the same Metacritic as StellarBlade (a game with actual depth and mechanics)

Completely different games, this one is more like an EXPERIENCE thing and shit. It's truly not for me and in fact I fucking hate games like this, but they are not in the same genre at all.

gow3isben

So the biggest complaint that is consistent is that it is simply boring lol

I don't know how I feel about that.

If it comes to PS5 I will give it a whirl as the first game was decent.

lol 😂 so now metacritic scores are aligned on games based on what other games are doing? Hellblade is not intended to be a character action game. I can argue the character action game NT did with dmc has more depth than stellar blade but that was 2 generations ago. This game is about mental health not about how man combos you can string together. If anything if more people saw it through that lens's instead of the way you’re viewing it should definitely rate higher than 83.

It's a story driven game obviously, is it filled with amazing gameplay? No, but it's got amazing atmosphere and art direction and in all fairness the combat is quite challenging and very satisfying. I love a powerful story driven game so this is right up my street.

It's not going to be for everyone but I'd encourage anyone to give it a go just if only to experience the level of technical excellence on display.

“Linear over shoulder cinematic experience? No thanks, give me open areas with emergent gameplay.“

You said this about a game with far more gameplay and far less linearity than the one you are currently stanning for

zapper

the internal reviews of xbox expected a 90 average title, just as they expected a 70 for redfall, how is it possible that they are always so wrong, it makes you think that they are totally disconnected

Romulus

I started reading comments in the thread before seeing the review scores. The thread reads like the game is a 5/10. However it definitely looks better than expected and worth a shot on gamepass. There are a good amount of respectable sites that loved it.

Last edited:
Considering the complaints, I wish game had gotten Redfall type scores.

That 81 metascore is a bit of a hinderance.

Anyways, I will play today and see for myself. Worse combat and puzzles don’t sound appealing. Part 1 had its issues but I was hoping for this stuff be more fleshed out.

clarky

Gold Member
Looks great but thats about it for me. Either you love these types of things or you don't. I'm in the latter camp. I think Karak Karak said something similar in his review, if your the type of person who is looking for the skip/fastforward button during dialogue and cut scenes in games then this is not the game for you.

Does look amazing mind you.

“Linear over shoulder cinematic experience? No thanks, give me open areas with emergent gameplay.“

You said this about a game with far more gameplay and far less linearity than the one you are currently stanning for
Coming from James "Shill" Ford that's funny. I finished and enjoyed Hellblade 1 also, what's the problem? Just because I like more than one type of game?

I started reading comments in the thread before seeing the review scores. The thread reads like the game is a 5/10. However it definitely looks better than expected and worth a shot on gamepass. There are a good amount of respectable sites that loved it.
The usual suspects are out in force over this one. It's really hurting them that it's reviewing well and is a real next-gen technical showcase.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's interesting to me that games like A Plague Tale 1&2 are incredibly similar to Hellblade 2. They're both cinematic story driven games, walking simulators, great visuals, female protagonist, etc. The biggest differences is that A Plague Tale is twice the length, better puzzle design, and is far more creative with it's gameplay, emphasizing stealth. Yet all these games have almost identical MC scores.
How crazy is Amicia tho?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I read it a few months ago, it started from natethehate which is pretty reliable imo. here (I hope it was true because I didn't go straight to the source, I read it from the sites)

Funnily enough, low 90s is what you get when you aggregate the 8 Xbox-specific outlet scores. Not that they're the only brand who do that, of course.

Top Bottom