• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO's House Of The Dragon (no book spoilers)

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think it looks pretty good.

Buuuuuuuuut it also looks VERY conventional, brother vs sister, forbidden love, yadda yadda. What made GoT so special was GRRM savagely undermining audience expectations at every turn, constant cliffhangers and WTF moments, and true likeable characters, none of which appears to be in evidence in this trailer. It looks to be a rather pedestrian show with a spectacular budget and some little girl who ages REALLY fast :p

Fools idol

Banned
it makes me laugh how the author of the books this show and game of thrones are based on says he's too busy all the time on his blog.. he has plenty of time to work on all these shows and spinoffs but no time to finish the book series he started 🤣

Fans are delusional if they think the shit is ever getting finished. He clearly makes too much money from the tv stuff.

FunkMiller

Looks amazing, can’t believe we can have this and the lord of the rings show. What a time to be alive.

Prequels! Prequels! Everywhere prequels!

Oh No Eye Roll GIF by Aardman Animations

Kssio_Aug

Wake me up after this show is done and the final season is actually worth a damn.
As far as I know this is gonna be based 100% on the books, it's also not being directed by Benioff and Weiss. That said, I think the chances for this to have an end that sucks that much is pretty much zero, although it might not reach the same quality as the first 6 seasons of GoT - hopefully it does though.

GoT started to have issues after they ran past the source material. But what they did to the end was just not common... even if you consider a lot of shows with bad endings, they really surpassed everything with S8 of GoT considering the overall quality of the show past that and the material they had to work with. It's kinda hard to imagine they botched the end that hard by accident (I mean, how the hell could they end with Knight King in that manner??). Never read much about it, but it seems to me they just wanted to end it abruptly and be done.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

As far as I know this is gonna be based 100% on the books, it's also not being directed by Benioff and Weiss. That said, I think the chances for this to have an end that sucks that much is pretty much zero, although it might not reach the same quality as the first 6 seasons of GoT - hopefully it does though.

GoT started to have issues after they ran past the source material. But what they did to the end was just not common... even if you consider a lot of shows with bad endings, they really surpassed everything with S8 of GoT considering the overall quality of the show past that. It's kinda hard to imagine they botched the end that hard by accident. Never read much about it, but it seems to me they just wanted to end it abruptly and be done.
Wouldn't this end with Robert Barathian taking the Throne?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
New game of thrones is exciting, the show shocks the world every episode and was the face of the video streaming world for quite some time.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This has eeire parallels to the Rings of Power show. Both are prequels to the events with popular media, thus outcomes are largely predetermined, both are based on a "historical framework" of events rather than actual narrative (RoP obviously much more so) and both look to compress many years into single lifetimes of characters. I wonder how much involvement GRRM actually has, is he writing scripts (yay), just approving the work of others (hmmmm), or just a PR donkey(booo)?

All the best things of GoT/ASOIAF were in his character studies, the hints of past history without direct explanation, and the depths of tradition that gave Westeros a real world feel with out cardboard characters. The show reveled in sexposition and shock value, now mightily imitated and/or kinda verboten (I've not seen nearly as much sexuality of the GoT type in YEARS). I just can't see this show catching that lightening again but hopefully it is at least a fast paced show and not a dull slog or constantly jumping around between times.

DKehoe

I really just care about watching dragons mess stuff up. People saying stuff and then DRAGONS BURN STUFF!
I guess this is potentially spoilers so...

This is about a Targaryen civil war. about 150 years before the events of the books So there's gonna be dragons fighting other dragons. Also, this takes place when the Targaryen's were at the height of their powers, which was due to the number of dragons they had. So there's going to be a bunch of them around.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
Casual viewers are gonna be pissed when the female lead turns out to be
another mad(ish) queen who is killed by a relative at the end lol. They writers even emphasize the parallel with Daenerys with that "I’ll build a new order" line, which will remind people of Dany’s "Break the wheel" catchphrase.

Last edited:

BaneIsPain

Wouldn't this end with Robert Barathian taking the Throne?
to make it easier. It starts the quarrel between black (rhaenrya) vs green(aegon II). Black won initially, but betrayed by 2 bastards. I'm not sure they will adapt battle of tumbleton in this season. So green won after rhaenrya fed to Sunfyre (aegon II's dragon). Aegon II betrsyed by similar character of Littlefinger; Larys strong the clubfoot. it will end with son of rhaenrya, aegon III winning the throne and married to Jaehaera. Similar to ending war of roses.

Bear in mind, Fire & Blood book akin of history book from perspective of Mushroom (the fool) and Maester Munkun mostly. No dialogue.

AJUMP23

I guess this is potentially spoilers so...

This is about a Targaryen civil war. about 150 years before the events of the books So there's gonna be dragons fighting other dragons. Also, this takes place when the Targaryen's were at the height of their powers, which was due to the number of dragons they had. So there's going to be a bunch of them around.
Sounds good to me. Dragon fights and Dragon Flights. Hopefully no magical arrow shots that suddenly down a dragon.

RAÏSanÏa

War of the Witcher wigs.

I'd like to get into this. Will try to watch...times being what they are. At the very least if it's bad it could make the depth of the myths worked into the Rings of Power stand out even more than this trailer has already.

Last edited:

gatti-man

it makes me laugh how the author of the books this show and game of thrones are based on says he's too busy all the time on his blog.. he has plenty of time to work on all these shows and spinoffs but no time to finish the book series he started 🤣

Fans are delusional if they think the shit is ever getting finished. He clearly makes too much money from the tv stuff.
I think he just is stuck and can’t finish it the way he wants so he just won’t until he figures it out or dies.

kikkis

I think there is some reviews for the first episode available.

Only season 8 left for me in the got rewatch. I have enjoyed it kind of lot despite seeing the show multiple times at this point. As a independent thinker even season 8 didn't bother me whole lot when I last saw it.

iPaul93

The Velaryons look kind of silly, tbh. The white wigs really clash with the black actors.

111730.jpg

Looks weird, and strangely cheap. Only Corlys (the older guy at the front) looks ok, since his white hair could maybe be interpreted as grey due to his age. But the others look stupid.

But Daemon Targaryen isn‘t much better. The guy who plays him (he‘s the Doctor Who guy, right?) looks totally goofy with that long white hair, lol.

But the worst thing is, as others have pointed out, the fact that we alread know how this story ends. Knowing who lives and who dies, and who betrays who, takes out a lot of the suspense. Which means this show‘s success will depend entirely on the quality of its writing and cinematography. The original GoT had the luxury to not only be based on GRRM‘s books, but also that the audience didn’t know how the story would ultimately end. That‘s why even most of those who recognized the sharp decline in writing in the later seasons still followed the show to the very end, since they wanted to see how the whole thing concluded. But that won‘t be the case for this show; if people aren’t hooked early, and the writing sucks, then people are more likely to just drop the show, since they already know how it ends (or can find out with a quick google search).
Why does this look like one of those cheap 90's fantasy shows?:messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm getting the same vibe from that picture.
main-qimg-549fc5c0788fa9ee6d52796b732d0089-lq

iPaul93

60t8h8V.jpg

Weird reasoning. I would accept a stupid reason such as one of the velaryon's ancestors mating with Summer Islander or the skin changed due to the long voyage to Essos or Sothoros.
After reading this, I'll probably just watch this from an alternative source. 🏴‍☠️

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
After reading this, I'll probably just watch this from an alternative source. 🏴‍☠️

It's pretty damn racist. Could you imagine somebody creating a show based on a fantasy version of Africa and saying "we didn't want it to be another bunch of black people on screen". Then decide to race swap a character to be white. They'd be uproar, and rightly so. However, clearly its okay to race swap white characters.

I know the land of Westeros is pretty much white only, but that's not because George Martin is racist, but because his world is inspired by medieval Europe, especially England during the 13th and 14th centuries.

His world also has whole land masses that are mixed race or contain no white people at all. They could have made this more diverse by bringing in new characters from other parts of the world, but they took the lazy, racist option of race swapping.

LordCBH

I’ll give it a shot, but I’m not very optimistic considering just how bad GOT went off the rails during its last few seasons.

Javthusiast

Banned
I hated season 8 and was already seeing major cracks with 6&7, but I would lie if I said I am not hyped for this. It looks so good, story is fully there, just needs good fleshing out the inbetween stuff.

My body is ready.

Valonquar

I feel like they probably had a hard time finding actors to play these roles, since everyone hated season 8 so much.

Is there really an appetite for this beyond the fans of the books?
I read all the books before the shows started and loved em (well the Dance was a bit shit) and I have zero interest in anything that isn't the new main series book that fixes the HBO shit.

Last edited:

BaneIsPain

As much as I want to see Vhagar vs Meleys or Vhagar vs Caraxes (I doubt this will be in s1). I'm less inclined to watch it on premier because of breaking immersion casting. Maybe it will be decent, who knows?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It's pretty damn racist. Could you imagine somebody creating a show based on a fantasy version of Africa and saying "we didn't want it to be another bunch of black people on screen". Then decide to race swap a character to be white. They'd be uproar, and rightly so. However, clearly its okay to race swap white characters.

I know the land of Westeros is pretty much white only, but that's not because George Martin is racist, but because his world is inspired by medieval Europe, especially England during the 13th and 14th centuries.

His world also has whole land masses that are mixed race or contain no white people at all. They could have made this more diverse by bringing in new characters from other parts of the world, but they took the lazy, racist option of race swapping.

Did you read the article or just the headline?

Seems the black characters were sort of GRRM's original idea before changing to all white:

"Long, long ago when he was conceiving of this world, [Martin] himself had considered the idea of making Velaryons a race of Black people with silver hair that essentially came from the other side of the ocean and conquered Westeros," he says. "That's a fascinating idea and that always really stuck with me because it's such a stark image. I just thought, 'Well, why couldn't we do a version of that now?'"

I would have been more excited if:

A- The GOT TV show did not shit the bed in its the last three seasons, especially in its 8th and closing one.

B- G.R.R Martin decided that it was time to finish the main saga.

As it stands, I have almost zero interest in watching a prequel to an incomplete story...Plus, Matt Smith looks absolutely ridiculous under that wig.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

Seems the black characters were sort of GRRM's original idea before changing to all white:

"Long, long ago when he was conceiving of this world, [Martin] himself had considered the idea of making Velaryons a race of Black people with silver hair that essentially came from the other side of the ocean and conquered Westeros," he says. "That's a fascinating idea and that always really stuck with me because it's such a stark image. I just thought, 'Well, why couldn't we do a version of that now?'"
Thats because it's bullshit spin on basically what did happen. The Valyrians were a small, very homogeneous group that mastered WMDs (dragons) and then conquered EVERYONE they could but jealously kept their circle small. So they could have looked like anything initially, but the KEY part is that due to extensive intermarriage, they STAYED that way.

Even IF GRRM thought about doing this, the CORE CONCEPT of Valyrians being a highly inbred group to conserve their dragon mastery traits suggests that it would be EXTREMELY IMPLAUSIBLE for there to exist a wide divergence in skin color while white hair and lavender eyes were conserved. So now you would have to fabricate a royal family from outside Valyria that could marry into one of the founding families (in order to produce a legitimate heir) AND somehow conserve very dark skin through succeeding generations of marriage with other fair skinned people. GRRM knows this since something similar is a plot point in the first book (Baratheon dark hair trumping Lannister blonde).

Maybe they will have Corlys be a bastard that was made legit. Or maybe his mother was an outsider from some Summer Isle nation. The family trees of these groups are so messed up I suppose anything could be possible but all the infidelity is a lot harder to hide when strong coffee is getting added to the cream :p

IDKFA

Yeah. I read the whole article. George may have considered it, but ultimately didn't go through with it. Probably because he wanted to base his fantasy on medieval Europe/England.

I also doubt if it's true. The reason I say that is because a few years ago George was asked why his books weren't diverse. His answer was because he's an old white guy and he writes what he knows. He didn't say he considered making the Velaryons black, but then changed his mind because of....... reasons.

His world does have different races and the show could have added characters from these places rather than race swapping a white character for the sake of diversity.

Bragr

Banned
As far as I know this is gonna be based 100% on the books, it's also not being directed by Benioff and Weiss. That said, I think the chances for this to have an end that sucks that much is pretty much zero, although it might not reach the same quality as the first 6 seasons of GoT
You mean the first 3 seasons. If you go back and watch, the rot starts to show around seasons 4-5. Truth is the books start to change after book 3 too, as the main story, the story of the Starks, ends.

The core of A Song of Ice and Fire is the Stark family. And the directors didn't know how to handle a post-Stark show. Same with Martin.

I remember the first time the fans started to go "huh?" in the show, it was when Jamie and Bronn went alone to find Myrcella (a prince doesn't just go on a Rambo trip alone like that), it was not in the book and one of the first big signs that the show is about to collapse. That whole trip was like a Benny Hill episode.

main-qimg-355f7ca1349df18a07d560f959f0f653-lq

Pretty stoked after watching those trailers.

One of the colossal advantages this has over GoT is that the source material is already written and complete. Any deviation from the books should hopefully be minuscule.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I skimmed through Fire & Blood today for about an hour, refreshing on some Targaryen history. It got me a little excited for it. Two more days to go.

sol_bad

Pretty stoked after watching those trailers.

One of the colossal advantages this has over GoT is that the source material is already written and complete. Any deviation from the books should hopefully be minuscule.

Would it be funny if they just disregarded the books and created their own adaptation?

IDKFA

Would it be funny if they just disregarded the books and created their own adaptation?

Aren't they pretty much doing this? Fire and Blood isn't a novel. It's a mock history book of House Targaryen (part history anyway until Part 2 comes out).

Most of this is going to have to be made up so the series has a coherent story over multiple seasons, but using what's in Fire and Blood as the basic template.

Top Bottom