• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Hashtag" Declared 2012 Word of the Year (beating out "YOLO" and "Gangnam style")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

Lot of Republican embarrassing sayings up there. Legitimate Rape, Self-Deportation, Marriage Equality and whatnot. They were on the wrong side of all of those.

NinjaBoiX

I hate that "hashtag" thing. It's just used way too much.

Plus, it seems to have spawned a "whose random, banal thought will be on everyone's phone for about 5 minutes" trending thing. Or the other way around.

I dunno, whenever I hear some say a sentence, then try to encapsulate the whole thing by saying "#somethingorother", I just can't help but roll my eyes.

I hate during "tweet wars" when people use hashtags for no reason.

@Yourmum - Nah you are an idiot #Burn #GotYou #Eatshit.

like that kinda stuff. its ridiculous.

Kritz

Banned
There is a coffee shop in my city called "Yolo". I wish to disembowel myself, choke on my own gurgling matter, and experience my mind turning into the void black state of death. Or, alternatively, not go into that coffee shop.

If it were called #coffee I might have to go with my first choice, mind you.

NinjaBoiX

There is a coffee shop in my city called "Yolo". I wish to disembowel myself, choke on my own gurgling matter, and experience my mind turning into the void black state of death. Or, alternatively, not go into that coffee shop.

If it were called #coffee I might have to go with my first choice, mind you.
I can honestly see the "#" prefix becoming the new "i" prefix.

#bandwagon

Parenthesis aren't the same at all. Hashtags are like a list of related mini-thoughts or concepts you tack on at the end of your main thought and furthermore they can literally be anything. Also they serve as a categorization device which was the original intent of them as they are tags. #awesome #21stcentury #englishftw #bestwordever #excited #parenthesessuck

(I'm exited for the awesome English word that reflects the 21st century. Oh and brackets can do the same thing just that you have to form actual sentences that don't leave the reader bewildered)

(tags are can be useful though, just maybe not in sentences and they should anyway link to the actual context of the tag, like a news article)

Btw. the German word of the year is "Rettungsroutine" (rescue routine, describes constantly applying rescue solutions for the EU economy)

Interestingly, YOLO won the kids version of this German voting...

-(po)calypse, -(ma)geddon: hyperbolic combining forms for various catastrophes (115)

Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now was way ahead of the curve on this one.

The American Dialect Society demonstrating the differences between Americans and the English. They picked a twitter term, we picked an apt description of politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom