• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harrison Ford on Indy 5: “I just thought it would be nice to see one where Indiana Jones was at the end of his journey”

ManaByte

Gold Member
https://www.empireonline.com/movies...s-real-emotion-harrison-ford-world-exclusive/

indiana-jones-5-hf-excl.jpg

“It’s full of adventure, full of laughs, full of real emotion. And it’s complex and it’s sneaky,” Harrison Ford tells Empire. Stepping back into the world of Indy was no mean feat. “The shooting of it was tough and long and arduous,” he says. “But I’m very happy with the film that we have.”

That’s where Indiana Jones 5 comes in. “I just thought it would be nice to see one where Indiana Jones was at the end of his journey,” Ford explains. “If a script came along that I felt gave me a way to extend the character.”

For Mangold, it was all about the challenge of making a final Indiana Jones film. “It became really important to me to figure out how to make this a movie about a hero at sunset,” he says, noting that he steered the film further in that direction. “The issues I brought up about Indy’s age were not things I thought were being addressed in the material being developed at the time. There were ‘old’ jokes, but the material itself wasn’t about it. To me, whatever you greatest liability, you should fly straight towards that. If you try to pretend it’s not there, you end up getting slings and arrows the whole way.”

EMP_JAN23_Cover_Newsstand-scaled.jpg

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I'm not expecting much, but is there a lack of art directors in the industry? why does he look like he just came out of the costume shop? This Indiana MF Jones, why is he not a bit dirty, a bit of tethering on his hat, something to make it look like he's an adventurer that seen shit. This is happening across so many shows, it's like no ones can be a bit rugged everyone is pristine. Which bring me to Top Gun: Maverick (overrated), in the original they were all always sweaty, you can feel it was hot, and it made it feel real, now apparently they have ACs everywhere even outside.

end of rant.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Never heard of Mangold?

People seem to only remember the good film Mangold has directed (Logan, 3:10 to Yuma) and not the crap (Knight and Day, The Wolverine).

I want this new Indy film to be good, but having Mangold as director doesn't guarantee it will be. There is a chance it could end up worse than Crystal Skull!

ManaByte

Gold Member
People seem to only remember the good film Mangold has directed (Logan, 3:10 to Yuma) and not the crap (Knight and Day, The Wolverine).

I want this new Indy film to be good, but having Mangold as director doesn't guarantee it will be. There is a chance it could end up worse than Crystal Skull!
His good outweighs his bad by a LARGE amount. And his R-rated cut of Wolverine is good, AND it sets up the end of Logan (he’s told in The Wolverine that he’ll die with his heart in his hand, which is how he dies in Logan).

I’d rather have Mangold do it than anyone else, even 2022 Spielberg who wouldn’t put Nazis in it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Probably the first time that’s ever happened to a James Mangold film.
Eh, no director is perfect forever. Nolan has drifted for me. Cameron hasn't made a film in over a decade but his "approved by" efforts have been distinctly hit or miss, I'd say Spielberg and Sorcese hit more than miss (esp scorcese) but they still whiff at times. Ridley Scott....the less said about his recent efforts the better (though I did like Last Duel a bit).

Point being, every new film has to stand on its own.

Normally I'd say the Indy formula is pretty damn simple as it's basically a cheap thrill actioner just done really well with an exceptionally charismatic lead but Harrison hasn't had much spark in him for years and I just don't think folks can write an honest film about Indy anymore.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Crystal skull was one of the worst films my eyes have ever seen.

The originals are legendary. Hope this is good.
Amen.

Harrison Ford could barely move and speak in the 2008 movie. Fast Forward 14 years to 2022.

If the movie has him in a background kind of role (like a mentor or Sean Connery) it might work. But if he's the lead doing running jumps and action scenes over traps and such it'll be hilariously bad.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
His good outweighs his bad by a LARGE amount. And his R-rated cut of Wolverine is good, AND it sets up the end of Logan (he’s told in The Wolverine that he’ll die with his heart in his hand, which is how he dies in Logan).

I’d rather have Mangold do it than anyone else, even 2022 Spielberg who wouldn’t put Nazis in it.
You'd rather Mangold direct than any other director? Really? I'm not going to get hard and throb over a new Indy film just because Mangold is director.

He's a good director, but not one of the best and still has a mixed track record. Fingers crossed he'll delver something that's at least better than Crystal Skull.

jdtemp

Banned
I don't want to watch the movie and spend the whole time worrying about Indy breaking his hip. This just looks sad.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The leaks made up by the Neo Nazi YouTuber. You mean a guy who dresses in a SS uniform is making up shit about an Indians Jones movie where he fights Nazis to make it look bad? I’m shocked.

The leaks about it being a plot centred around
time travel
seem pretty legit though, given what the trailer apparently contains, and some of the on set pictures that came out?

All the stuff about Waller-Bridge replacing him though sounds like total horseshit.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The leaks about it being a plot centred around
time travel
seem pretty legit though, given what the trailer apparently contains, and some of the on set pictures that came out?

All the stuff about Waller-Bridge replacing him though sounds like total horseshit.
The Waller-Bridge stuff is the Nazi trying to rile up his followers with bullshit, even lying to them that she wrote the movie when it was written by Mangold.

The other thing is pretty much confirmed. Mads plays a ex-Nazi working for NASA in 1969 who wants to change the past:

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/indiana-jones-5-nazis-1969-exclusive

Empire can reveal that Indiana Jones 5 finds our hero in 1969, living against the backdrop of the space race – but the American effort to beat the Russians to the moon brings with it some uncomfortable truths for Indy. “The simple fact is that the moon-landing program was run by a bunch of ex-Nazis,” Indiana Jones 5 co-writer (and acclaimed British playwright) Jez Butterworth tells Empire. “How ‘ex’ they are is the question. And it gets up Indy’s nose…” Pitching Indiana – a man always looking to the secrets of the Earth rather than the stars – into the era of the astronaut finds him even more a man out of time. “It’s not just that the model of what a hero is has completely changed,” says Butterworth. “It’s not just that they’re looking for something where there’s nothing up there – it’s like Reno without the gambling, or whatever his line is. But the people that are behind it are, you know, his sworn enemies.”
Enter Mads Mikkelsen’s villainous Voller – see above – inspired partly by real-life Nazi-turned-NASA-engineer Wernher von Braun. “He’s a man who would like to correct some of the mistakes of the past,” teases Mikkelsen of Voller. “There is something that could make the world a much better place to live in. He would love to get his hands on it. Indiana Jones wants to get his hands on it as well. And so, we have a story.”
indiana-jones-5-voller-excl.jpg

It’s a story that blends fact, fiction, fedoras and fascists – including a major action set-piece set at the Apollo 11 ticker tape parade in New York, thrown to celebrate the astronauts on 13 August 1969. The sequence not only sees Boyd Holbrook’s nefarious Klaber (“I’m a lapdog to Mads, and a crazy one at that,” the actor says) caught up in the middle of the historic celebration
indiana-jones-5-klaber-excl.jpg

ManaByte

Gold Member
I should add, none of those bullshit “leaks” being spread by YouTubers for outrage views have said anything about the MacGuffin coming from the Moon.

Last edited:

Doom85

The Waller-Bridge stuff is the Nazi trying to rile up his followers with bullshit, even lying to them that she wrote the movie when it was written by Mangold.

The other thing is pretty much confirmed. Mads plays a ex-Nazi working for NASA in 1969 who wants to change the past:

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/indiana-jones-5-nazis-1969-exclusive

indiana-jones-5-voller-excl.jpg

indiana-jones-5-klaber-excl.jpg

Wait, hold up, my boy Mads Mikkelsen is in the final Indy film as the villain?!

Lets Go Reaction GIF by The Lonely Island
Happy Good Vibes GIF by HBO Max
Lets Go Wow GIF by FaZe Clan

With this and Mangold directing, yeah no, this is a pretty safe bet this is going to be some good shit right here.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
That's cool Harrison. I don't. I don't want to see my heroes two steps away from the grave. I know! Let's make a Predator sequel with the 70-year-old Arnold going toe to toe with the predator. Watch him have a heart attack trying to run away from it. This fantastic movie series ended with the third film.

Salz01

Until I see a full trailer, I’ll be skeptical and nervous. I highly doubt they can capture the Magic of the first three.

Kenpachii

That's cool Harrison. I don't. I don't want to see my heroes two steps away from the grave. I know! Let's make a Predator sequel with the 70-year-old Arnold going toe to toe with the predator. Watch him have a heart attack trying to run away from it. This fantastic movie series ended with the third film.

Reason they should mature in the movie series themselves, or become side characters themselves. Nobody wants to see a 80 year old pretending he's 30.

Doom85

Reason they should mature in the movie series themselves, or become side characters themselves. Nobody wants to see a 80 year old pretending he's 30.

See, everyone mocked the idea of “Rocky 6” for basically the same reasoning, and then Rocky Balboa came out and was heralded by many as the best one since the original.

Just Saying Amanda Seales GIF by NBC

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Wait, hold up, my boy Mads Mikkelsen is in the final Indy film as the villain?!

Lets Go Reaction GIF by The Lonely Island
Happy Good Vibes GIF by HBO Max
Lets Go Wow GIF by FaZe Clan

With this and Mangold directing, yeah no, this is a pretty safe bet this is going to be some good shit right here.
Was just about to say the same thing. Gotta love the Mads.

dr_octagon

Banned
I want Mads to beat Harrison, sweep the leg and everything.

SS man: Dr Jones, we have launched the Mads cow disease to kill everyone.
Jones: It belongs in a mooseum.
SS man: What?
Jones: What?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Ford is de-aged to WWII war hero Dr. Jones in the opening scene of the movie. ILM used their new deep fake tech that was used on Luke in Book of Boba Fett.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies...ing-sequence-de-ages-harrison-ford-exclusive/

“I wanted the chance to dive into this kind of full-on George-and-Steven old picture and give the audience an adrenaline blast,” Mangold tells Empirein our world-exclusive Indiana Jones 5issue. The solution? A setpiece that dials the clock back to 1944, set in a castle swarming with Nazis. Through the miracle of de-ageing technology, we’re going back towards Raiders-era Indy. “And then we fall out, and you find yourself in 1969,” Mangold explains of the transition to the main action of the film. “So that the audience doesn’t experience the change between the ‘40s and ‘60s as an intellectual conceit, but literally experiences the buccaneering spirit of those early days… and then the beginning of now.”

For its star, coming face-to-face with his younger self even had him convinced. “This is the first time I’ve seen it where I believe it,” Ford tells Empire. “It’s a little spooky. I don’t think I even want to know how it works, but it works.” Not that he’s pining to return to the time of the original Indy movies. “Doesn’t make me want to be young, though,” he says. “I’m glad to have earned my age.” Or, as a certain adventuring archaeologist once put it, it’s not the years, it’s the mileage.

Hearing that Mads is the villain has definitely spiked my interest. I just hope to god this movie gives Indy a proper send off (unlike Crystal Skull) since its confirmed to be the final film. I'm glad Harrison Ford squashed the idea of them continuing Indy with a recast or successor.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Indy’s god-daughter Helena.

The rumored mystery box they’re hiding is that she’s Marcus Brody’s daughter.

indiana-jones-5-helena-excl.jpg

Top Bottom