• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halloween Kills - Official Trailer

Halloween Kills
In theaters October 15

In 2018, David Gordon Green’s Halloween, starring icon Jamie Lee Curtis, killed at the box office, earning more than $250 million worldwide, becoming the highest-grossing chapter in the four-decade franchise and setting a new record for the biggest opening weekend in history for a horror film starring a woman.

And the Halloween night when Michael Myers returned isn’t over yet.

Minutes after Laurie Strode (Curtis), her daughter Karen (Judy Greer) and granddaughter Allyson (Andi Matichak) left masked monster Michael Myers caged and burning in Laurie’s basement, Laurie is rushed to the hospital with life-threatening injuries, believing she finally killed her lifelong tormentor.

But when Michael manages to free himself from Laurie’s trap, his ritual bloodbath resumes. As Laurie fights her pain and prepares to defend herself against him, she inspires all of Haddonfield to rise up against their unstoppable monster.

The Strode women join a group of other survivors of Michael’s first rampage who decide to take matters into their own hands, forming a vigilante mob that sets out to hunt Michael down, once and for all.

Evil dies tonight.

Universal Pictures, Miramax, Blumhouse Productions and Trancas International Films present Halloween Kills, co-starring Will Patton as Officer Frank Hawkins, Thomas Mann (Kong: Skull Island) and Anthony Michael Hall (The Dark Knight).

From the returning filmmaking team responsible for the 2018 global phenomenon, Halloween Kills is written by Scott Teems (SundanceTV’s Rectify) and Danny McBride and David Gordon Green based on characters created by John Carpenter and Debra Hill. The film is directed by David Gordon Green and produced by Malek Akkad, Jason Blum and Bill Block. The executive producers are John Carpenter, Jamie Lee Curtis, Danny McBride, David Gordon Green and Ryan Freimann.

Cravis

I absolutely HATED the most recent one. So many stupid decisions and lame ass coincidences just to get him back together with his mask and jumpsuit. With that being said, this looks really good. I know it's from the same writer/director of the last one so I'm remaining cautious. Really dug the little nod to Season of the With with the three playground victims wearing the pumpkin, witch, and skull masks.

HarryKS

I burst out laughing from watching the trailer because of how absurd it is.

The previous trailer which had that effect was Fast 9 when they showed the bridge scene.

At the end of the movie, he was in that flaming basement for at least 15 mins. Never mind the heat, the smoke would have done the job in 2 mins.

PUNKem733

I burst out laughing from watching the trailer because of how absurd it is.

The previous trailer which had that effect was Fast 9 when they showed the bridge scene.

At the end of the movie, he was in that flaming basement for at least 15 mins. Never mind the heat, the smoke would have done the job in 2 mins.
He is not fully human. Carpenter said he wrote him to be the actual boogeyman, human with a slight edge of the supernatural. The end of the 78 movie, showing all the places he's been at in the movie with his breathing getting heavier, was hinting that he could be nowhere and everywhere, and that you really can't kill the boogeyman. Also there were no planned sequels for it, it was gonna be a one and done which is scarier then any sequel because they're showing the good guys don't always win. They backtracked on the supernatural shit in 2018, but I think they realize for him to survive all this stuff, they have to kinda write the supernatural shit back in to a degree.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Does Hollywood ever fire people from touching these franchises? I’d watch it because I would be hoping for some sorta surprise at the end. When I was a kid I’d watch the H2O trailer at the store on those display TVs multiple times. It didn’t matter if the film was trash. The trailer was interesting.

xrnzaaas

I absolutely HATED the most recent one. So many stupid decisions and lame ass coincidences just to get him back together with his mask and jumpsuit. With that being said, this looks really good. I know it's from the same writer/director of the last one so I'm remaining cautious. Really dug the little nod to Season of the With with the three playground victims wearing the pumpkin, witch, and skull masks.
For me it was a typical Blumhouse flick with an overdose of strong female characters. All of the guys died in the film and the women ganged up on Myers in the finale.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Jamie Lee Curtis in the trailer..

Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

Only way to kill Myers is Twitter cancel culture.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The original Halloween worked because the premise was an unexpected incursion of a threat into unsuspecting suburbia on Halloween night. Michael seeming unkillable adding an almost supernatural edge. That's a solid basis for suspense, right?

Now look at this: Basically we have a known threat, with victims largely aware of what their up against, and in some cases actively putting themselves in harm's way in order to stop him. There's not even much of a mystery when we have Jamie Lee Curtis claiming that Michael now "powers up" from his kills like a videogame character!

How do you make that scary and suspenseful? Its just a shitty premise.

Add to the fact that (rightfully, given the traditions of the franchise) its likely going to be pretty tame on the gore front. So the audience doesn't even have creatively splattery deaths as highspots along the way to the inevitable showdown. So its likely going to be nice visually. LIke everything else these days when every frame is retouched and colourized in post there's no grit to it.

Fucking hell, no wonder the horror genre is in such poor shape,.

Kev Kev

The original Halloween worked because the premise was an unexpected incursion of a threat into unsuspecting suburbia on Halloween night. Michael seeming unkillable adding an almost supernatural edge. That's a solid basis for suspense, right?

Now look at this: Basically we have a known threat, with victims largely aware of what their up against, and in some cases actively putting themselves in harm's way in order to stop him. There's not even much of a mystery when we have Jamie Lee Curtis claiming that Michael now "powers up" from his kills like a videogame character!
My thoughts too. It’s not a he man woman haters club thing, it’s just a weird premise that an iconic stalker/slasher horror movie is feeling more like a gang of women get revenge action flick. I don’t really want this “let’s kill Michael” take. I love Curtis but they really went in the wrong direction for these sequels. It’s not even scary anymore

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
My thoughts too. It’s not a he man woman haters club thing, it’s just a weird premise that an iconic stalker/slasher horror movie is feeling more like a gang of women get revenge action flick. I don’t really want this “let’s kill Michael” take. I love Curtis but they really went in the wrong direction for these sequels. It’s not even scary anymore

What's worse is they can't even pull off a Jaws-style reversal where the hunters unexpectedly find themselves to be the hunted, because the antagonists behaviour is set in stone and for him to break out of his expected pattern (like laying traps and diversions of his own) would betray the character and the basic premise that he's been locked up in a psych ward for years.

End result we know pretty much the whole story from setup to payoff upfront, and the movie itself is just a matter of going through the motions.

Rival

Gold Member
The last one I thought was laughably bad so I have no hope for this one either. Can’t be any worse than Rob Zombie’s abominations though.

Airola

When I watched the previous Halloween in a movie theater I thought it was fantastic and lived my life thinking it's among the best horror films in this century.

Watched it again on Netflix or wherever it was and it suddenly was very very average. A couple of scenes were still fantastic and I liked the movie but as a whole it wasn't that good anymore. Wasn't awful either but wasn't even near the excellence I first thought it was.

this series is approaching "what year is it" territory real fast

if you want to fix this you gotta throw in spider-man and/or godzilla

PUNKem733

How do you make that scary and suspenseful? Its just a shitty premise.

Add to the fact that (rightfully, given the traditions of the franchise) its likely going to be pretty tame on the gore front. So the audience doesn't even have creatively splattery deaths as highspots along the way to the inevitable showdown. So its likely going to be nice visually. LIke everything else these days when every frame is retouched and colourized in post there's no grit to it.

Fucking hell, no wonder the horror genre is in such poor shape,.
A friend of mine saw the Jan 2020 screener, and all the reviews from that screener were positive, unlike the 2018 screener where there were at least several negative reviews. Also Just about anyone who made their reactions known said this is the goriest, nastiest Myers has ever been, this is like a Halloween on steroids my friend said. Also he kills about 40 or so people so the most kills in any Halloween, I mean shit look at the trailer they show as many kills if not more then the avg Halloween movie. Only reason JLC said that is because in the 2018 movie they were back tracking on his supernatural abilities, as they admitted, but in this one, they have to go that route a bit. Just being in that burning home for a few mins should kill anyone from smoke inhalation, nevermind the heat and he was in the house a solid 10 mins-15 mins. He is not fully human

kunonabi

A friend of mine saw the Jan 2020 screener, and all the reviews from that screener were positive, unlike the 2018 screener where there were at least several negative reviews. Also Just about anyone who made their reactions known said this is the goriest, nastiest Myers has ever been, this is like a Halloween on steroids my friend said. Also he kills about 40 or so people so the most kills in any Halloween, I mean shit look at the trailer they show as many kills if not more then the avg Halloween movie. Only reason JLC said that is because in the 2018 movie they were back tracking on his supernatural abilities, as they admitted, but in this one, they have to go that route a bit. Just being in that burning home for a few mins should kill anyone from smoke inhalation, nevermind the heat and he was in the house a solid 10 mins-15 mins. He is not fully human
Kill count isnt going to mean much now that they gave him a code of honor in the last one.

xrnzaaas

The last one I thought was laughably bad so I have no hope for this one either. Can’t be any worse than Rob Zombie’s abominations though.
In my opinion the first movie wasn't bad, it just shouldn't focus so much on Michael's origin story. The second film was pretty shit though.

kunonabi

In my opinion the first movie wasn't bad, it just shouldn't focus so much on Michael's origin story. The second film was pretty shit though.
The director's cut of the first film is pretty good for what it's supposed to be. Well, aside from the rape scene anyway.

The second just pisses over everything it did well.

Airola

What a disappointment this was.

I loved the previous Halloween although it didn't feel even nearly as good when I rewatched it.

This one was very corny. Dialogue was terrible at times and I got very tired of everyone constantly talking about Michael Myers and how evil he is. Pretty much all of the imaginative stuff in the previous movie is gone. This was violent for sure and the effects were good but the horror scenes just weren't even nearly as good as they were in the last movie.

Some good stuff here and there but way too much corny dialogue and at times the movie was pretty stupid too.

That said, the ending was good and even though I didn't like the movie too much the last hurdle of the film made me want to see the next one.

Last edited:

belmarduk

I gotta disagree with the previous poster. The movie was nonstop action. The kind of thing that you want in a horror movie. There are bits of dialogue, but they are interspersed very sparingly throughout the film. One thing you have to remember is that this is the second film in a trilogy, and that all the films take place on the same night.

This is definitely not the first time the series delves into supernatural elements.

Airola

The movie was nonstop action.

This is true.

Well, not really nonstop, but pretty close.
The movie was very eventful. Lots of action and lots of deaths.

But that didn't save it from its weaknesses for me. It never really gets boring so if action and deaths is what the viewer wants, it's probably not going to disappoint. But if dumb things and corny dialogue is something the viewer isn't into, I'd advise to watch the movie with lowered expectations. In some other movie that might not have mattered to me too much but the previous movie was able to dance around dumb and corny stuff surprisingly well so this ended up being a disappointment for not continuing the care in writing the previous movie got.

And yeah the end was pretty good despite my disappointment for the whole lot of the rest of the movie.

Last edited:
I gotta disagree with the previous poster. The movie was nonstop action. The kind of thing that you want in a horror movie. There are bits of dialogue, but they are interspersed very sparingly throughout the film. One thing you have to remember is that this is the second film in a trilogy, and that all the films take place on the same night.

This is definitely not the first time the series delves into supernatural elements.
I'm pretty sure Ends will have a time jump and not take place right after Kills.

fart town usa

Gold Member
This movie was awesome.

I'm a huge horror fan and even though I love Halloween, the bulk of the movies are pretty awful and downright boring to me. I went in not expecting much and I was blown away.

Best version of Michael Myers, beautifully shot, OST is brilliant, suspenseful, gory, etc. I think it's insane that this movie is getting trashed. I mean good grief, there are so many terrible Halloween movies, if this doesn't satisfy you, what will?

Last edited:

Stuart360

The movie was decent for me.
As a Myers fan, i wanted to see Michael kill a lot of people, in gory ways, while keep getting up after being shot and stabbed etc, and the film has that in droves.

As a 'film;' though i thought it was a bit muddled and a lot of unbelievable stuff happens with the way a lot of the human characters act and the things they do, facepalming level at times. Also some of the dialogue is god awful.
Also all the sequels are not supposed to of happened in this version of Halloween, meaning that 40 years a go some guy killed 3 teenagers, yet the town acts like Michael is some devil serial killer that must be stopped 'Evil dies tonight!' :messenger_tears_of_joy: .
Its weird really.

I'd say Halloween 2018 is a way better 'film', but if all you care about is seeing people get diced by Michael Myers then this is def at the top of the Halloween films.

7/10.

Last edited:

PUNKem733

I agree with the non stop action, and I loved it compared to 2018. Much of the dialogue was so bad though, and if I have to hear evil dies tonight one more time I'll tun into Myers and kill anyone. The nurse from the 78 movie, and tommy had some ATROCIOUS dialogue, actually all fo their dialogue was so bad. I did like Karen and her daughter, they were much better, and especially karen she wasn't insufferable in this one, and she had some nice action scenes going on. I didn't mind the ending, it was kinda good, kills laurie's daughter, and cuts to black. The way the "town" acts is dumber than shit. These were some of the most brain dead people I have seen in a horror film.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
My favorite part of the movie was
when the mob is beating the crap out of Michael Myers and smashing him in his back and shooting him in the chest, and they all stop and kinda look at him. And he starts panting and goes "You... you should've gone for the head"

In all seriousness I enjoyed it, but it felt so over the top and such a removal from Halloween 2018. And some parts made absolutely no sense. Like the very end where somehow he gets back into his house with like 20 people all gathered out front. Police, EMTs, neighbors. Hell there were people sitting on the fucking step. Felt like it was done purely for shock value.

Someone chop off his damn head next time!

I remember reading that while they tried to ground this movie in reality, there is/always has been an otherwordly aspect to Michael. So I kind of looked at it as him being drawn to places and things for reunification

MacReady13

Must admit I was bored by about the half way point. Yes, the kills were gory. Yes, Michael Myers is a great villain but I get no sense of them doing him any harm and he seemingly can't be killed! If he isn't coming back for Laurie he is coming for the house?!? I just don't quite get what the film was trying to say with the mob killing that escaped loony bin character. Where did that come from? And Tommy is STILL holding this grudge against a guy who was last in the town 40 years ago? The grudge they hold against him doesn't make any sense to me!

The black lady "doctor" jumps out of the car and runs off whilst her "nurse" boyfriend (get it? Women can be doctors and men can be nurses too) tries to choke Michael Myers? Why did she run off? Why not hide a few feet away and shoot the fucker as he is standing outside the car?

Why did the father towards the end of the film go into the house ALONE and leave his son and Laurie's granddaughter in the car? Why not all 3 of them go in and attempt to kill him? And speaking of Laurie's granddaughter- you have a fucking shotgun. You don't need to be a foot away from him to shoot him. These people make the most basic of errors!

They belt him up in the street but don't continue belting him? The head needs to be removed and they stand and watch THEN, he gets up and has ninja reflexes and kills everyone? The retconning of events from the 1st film was poor to me and changing the fact that MM is not after Laurie but just wants to go home? Why the fuck was she so obsessed for 40 years over 1 halloween night? She trained her daughter to kill this guy who was caught and locked in an insane asylum and was seemingly never going to get out! I get it's traumatizing but she acted as if he was coming back to only get her!!! And now we find out he NOW doesn't care about Laurie! They should've left the films alone as they were. Yes, they were imperfect but at least they somewhat made sense (apart from part 6).

The film was just really strange. I wasn't the biggest fan of the 2018 film but thought it was OK. Was interested to see where they'd take it but I really felt I wasted 100 minutes of my life watching this film. And now David Gordon Green is going to tackle The Exorcist! God help us...

Airola

Also all the sequels are not supposed to of happened in this version of Halloween, meaning that 40 years a go some guy killed 3 teenagers, yet the town acts like Michael is some devil serial killer that must be stopped 'Evil dies tonight!' :messenger_tears_of_joy: .
Its weird really.

Yeah, this was a huge problem for me watching the movie. They truly overhype the danger of Myers a lot in this movie. Sure, it kinda makes sense for us who are watching the movie and knowing what he is doing (and even then I don't really buy the evilness of him they are selling as he really isn't any different from any other serial killers in other movie realities - had they made him kill the baby in that one scene in the previous movie, now that would've proved their case but apart from one hint in this movie he completely avoids killing people that are too young to be killed), but for the people who have had no idea that Michael is now free and killing again, the claim of him being the epitome of evil doesn't work and the dialogue that tries to sell that idea over and over again just sounds really corny.

That said, the final scenes in the movie are finally something that gives some promise of the overhype actually delivering something, but we have to see the third movie to see if the writers and director are finally able to do that. And even in the final moments, while I was surprised and excited to see what they showed us, the dialogue over the action almost ruined it for me. The psychological and social meanings and purpose they are trying to add to Michael's character just fell completely flat for me, but what they actually showed happening piqued my interest for the next movie.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Ok hold up - a slow motion fighting scene with Myers vs the Fire Dept.
I turned this horseshit off after that. Awful beyond belief.

Billbofet

I thought this movie was really bad. I was trying so hard to like it, but it keeps smelling its own farts thinking this is some grand, high art mythology. Cool to see so many og characters - not cool how it was all wasted.

What a fucking terrible movie lol. Such a big pop culture franchise, they obviously have the budget for the filming but the acting is a DISASTER. I dont know if any of the actors can act in this movie. I think the teenagers in the 70s original had better acting chops. I couldnt hold on to the end, i turned it off after an hour. Everything about it is stupid, is it a 10 year old that wrote the dialogue? Please guys stay away from this turd. "evil dies tonight, evil dies tonight....ey did i tell you? evil dies tonight!"

The only thing that looked good was Michael M but its hard to fail being a terminator type of grunt. His mask was great but the rest was all shit.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
What a fucking terrible movie lol. Such a big pop culture franchise, they obviously have the budget for the filming but the acting is a DISASTER. I dont know if any of the actors can act in this movie. I think the teenagers in the 70s original had better acting chops. I couldnt hold on to the end, i turned it off after an hour. Everything about it is stupid, is it a 10 year old that wrote the dialogue? Please guys stay away from this turd. "evil dies tonight, evil dies tonight....ey did i tell you? evil dies tonight!"

The only thing that looked good was Michael M but its hard to fail being a terminator type of grunt. His mask was great but the rest was all shit.
You really should finish the movie.

To each their own but seeing this in theaters was an experience. The majority of the Halloween movies are straight trash. It's just nostalgia that has kept it afloat for so long. Halloween Kills was actually suspenseful for me at times, I thought the scenes with Michael were brilliant and set the standard for any type of 'indestructible' type slasher villain. The flashback was awesome too, fantastic OST from John Carpenter, Loomis prosthetic suit was great. The dialogue is what it is, it's a Halloween movie, none of it struck me as being that bad. And again, it's a Halloween movie, what are people expecting in terms of dialogue? I thought the acting was fine. It's bizarre cause it's like, you either love this movie fucking hate it, lol.

Let me ask you this, since this movie sucked so much for you, what are the Halloween movies that you do like?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Must admit I was bored by about the half way point. - Fair, the movie came close to feeling boring to me probably 2 times throughout the movie.
Yes, the kills were gory. Yes, Michael Myers is a great villain but I get no sense of them doing him any harm and he seemingly can't be killed! - This doesn't really make sense, he's never really been all that affected from the damage he takes. That's kind of the point, ha.
If he isn't coming back for Laurie he is coming for the house?!? - Why does it matter? One of the main plot points in H2018 is that Michael's Doctor set the whole thing up so he could get Michael and Laurie to face off. The house aspect could be something, or maybe it isn't It's a Halloween movie, just roll with it.
I just don't quite get what the film was trying to say with the mob killing that escaped loony bin character. - Mob Justice is bad, no matter how "good" the intention.
Where did that come from? And Tommy is STILL holding this grudge against a guy who was last in the town 40 years ago? The grudge they hold against him doesn't make any sense to me! - We don't know what Tommy was up to the past 40 years, we just have to take him for the character that he is in the movie. It's Halloween night, the 40th anniversary of when he was almost killed. He's drunk. What more do you need to know? Also, Laurie clearly has a grudge, that was the whole plot in H2018, it makes complete sense that some other people might hate the fact that Michael Myers is still alive. it's not like he disappeared, they knew he was a patient in a mental asylum.
The black lady "doctor" jumps out of the car and runs off whilst her "nurse" boyfriend (get it? Women can be doctors and men can be nurses too) - I think you're reading into that too hard. The guy is a forgetful loudmouth who just comes off as a dumbass, so it's funny when were told that he's actually a nurse and it's his wife who is the doctor.
Why did she run off? Why not hide a few feet away and shoot the fucker as he is standing outside the car? - It's a slasher movie.
Why did the father towards the end of the film go into the house ALONE and leave his son and Laurie's granddaughter in the car? - The weight of the situation probably hit him harder and he realized that he would die inside the house and rather than ask his son for backup, asked him stay in the car so he would stay alive.
And speaking of Laurie's granddaughter- you have a fucking shotgun. You don't need to be a foot away from him to shoot him. These people make the most basic of errors! - It's a slasher movie.

I would watch the movie again at some point. it's obvious you have good taste in movies cause of your name, Macready.

I don't really read into Halloween movies cause the lore never really engaged me. I just want to be entertaining and have some kind of reaction to the movie. Halloween Kills entertained the shit out of me and actually made me incredibly hyped for Halloween Ends.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Michael Myers vs the MCU.

Michael Myers wins after seeing this movie. I'm telling ya.

Saitama, Goku, Superman?

None of them have a chance against Mike.

Top Bottom