• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life Alyx No-VR Mod - Early Access Out Now (October 2023 First Animation Update)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Utterly pointless. Alyx is amazing because of the things you can ONLY see and do in VR. Without some serious difficulty increase modding people with a mouse and keyboard will absolutely steamroll every encounter.

The story advancement people are talking about is almost entirely the final scene. Might as well just Youtube it if you can't play VR for any reason.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
God damn, seeing this game on a monitor as opposed to Quest 2 makes me even more annoyed that Valve isn't making any games anymore, lol.

This game looks insanely good. The visuals are incredibly atmospheric, it has an amazing art direction and Pixar-level character animations. It just blows my mind how it oozes character and ambiance. I would suck five dicks for a new, non-VR Half-Life game that features this level of quality.

Also, this is already surprisingly more playable than I expected. It basically controls like a normal Half-Life game, and it feels like a perfectly viable option for those who just want to experience this outside of VR. I'm only gonna wait until they finish adding hand animations and tweak the distance required to interact with objects and it should be a pretty awesome mod.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Utterly pointless. Alyx is amazing because of the things you can ONLY see and do in VR. Without some serious difficulty increase modding people with a mouse and keyboard will absolutely steamroll every encounter.

The story advancement people are talking about is almost entirely the final scene. Might as well just Youtube it if you can't play VR for any reason.
It's not just the basic plot twists and dialogue, though. Half-Life always excelled in environmental storytelling too and you can't get that just by watching it on YouTube. Alyx does a lot to expand on the lore of the series through world-building and I disagree that VR is mandatory in order to experience it.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
While its nice people like me who dont have VR can play the game, I still won't No mod, no matter how good it is, cannot change the core game of Alyx which is made for VR. Level design, interactivity, difficulty, everything was meant for VR. Porting it to non-vr, as many mentioned, is going to make the game look far worse, basically a walking sim. Still, good luck. I'm going to wait a few more years, maybe VR games will blow out someday and we'll get amazing singleplayer games but atm for me, it aint worth getting any kind of VR, just to play 3 games and as always I;'d rather play games at they were intended.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's not just the basic plot twists and dialogue, though. Half-Life always excelled in environmental storytelling too and you can't get that just by watching it on YouTube. Alyx does a lot to expand on the lore of the series through world-building and I disagree that VR is mandatory in order to experience it.

I just think people are doing themselves a huge disservice playing an incredible game in a way that it absolutely wasn't designed for. It's a game first and foremost and that game revolves around you being in a physical space and moving things with your hands. If you straight up can't use VR due to motion sickness, fair enough. If someone MIGHT ever buy/borrow a headset to play Alyx, avoid this version just in case. You only get to experience it for the first time once and it'd be a very gimped, limp experience as a game with KBM.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I just think people are doing themselves a huge disservice playing an incredible game in a way that it absolutely wasn't designed for. It's a game first and foremost and that game revolves around you being in a physical space and moving things with your hands. If you straight up can't use VR due to motion sickness, fair enough. If someone MIGHT ever buy/borrow a headset to play Alyx, avoid this version just in case. You only get to experience it for the first time once and it'd be a very gimped, limp experience as a game with KBM.
Some people are simply unable to play it in VR. There's no reason to criticize anyone who still wants to play it outside of that format because there's still plenty to enjoy here outside of the format itself.

I had the advantage of finishing it in VR first but I would still totally recommend playing it with this mod to any fan of the series who is unable to get a headset or if there's a physical barrier for them. People need to realize that it's not just some random-ass VR shooter. It's a new Half-Life game, and there are plenty of fans out there who have been clamoring for a new entry in the series for over a decade now, but the expense of getting a headset specifically for this one game is just too much for most people.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It’s crazy what people spend on gaming accessories and components, but when it comes to VR you’d think headsets were some extravagant $10k purchase.

You might play Alyx without a VR headset, but you won’t experience Alyx.

Yeah, your open GitHub approach is great. I actually tested a very early version.

To bad the other mod seems to be in limbo without any release in sight. Curious about your version of Amnesia physics interactivity. Will try it out!

Yeah! The grub wheel puzzles work like that along with some hatches and such. Adding more of it everywhere we can.

R6Rider

Gold Member
No Thank You Reaction GIF

God damn, seeing this game on a monitor as opposed to Quest 2 makes me even more annoyed that Valve isn't making any games anymore, lol.

This game looks insanely good. The visuals are incredibly atmospheric, it has an amazing art direction and Pixar-level character animations. It just blows my mind how it oozes character and ambiance. I would suck five dicks for a new, non-VR Half-Life game that features this level of quality.

Also, this is already surprisingly more playable than I expected. It basically controls like a normal Half-Life game, and it feels like a perfectly viable option for those who just want to experience this outside of VR. I'm only gonna wait until they finish adding hand animations and tweak the distance required to interact with objects and it should be a pretty awesome mod.

Honestly this is very true. We have tons of players who played in VR but with our mod at 4K they are seeing Source 2 like never before.

So even if you played it in VR it’s worth it for the virtual photography if you’re a Half-Life fan.

Also if you check our second newest article on ModDB you’ll see our list of supported mods that allow you to play Levitation and other user made mods without VR and others can use our script to make any game.

Sure, remove the entire purpose of the game I guess......

All the team members played it in VR and loved it so much we wanted to get it to everyone who can.

It was not a belief we could make it better than VR. No way. VR is the way to play this game. Of course.

But playing it on a Steam Deck anywhere at 60fps max settings is also awesome.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Honestly this is very true. We have tons of players who played in VR but with our mod at 4K they are seeing Source 2 like never before.

So even if you played it in VR it’s worth it for the virtual photography if you’re a Half-Life fan.

Also if you check our second newest article on ModDB you’ll see our list of supported mods that allow you to play Levitation and other user made mods without VR and others can use our script to make any game.
Wait, you made this? In that case, rock on, dude. I wanted to see this on a monitor since the first time I played this game in VR so thanks! I also shared it with my brother and a friend who don't have VR but were interested in playing the game and they were stoked, lol.

coffinbirth

Last edited:
Wait, you made this? In that case, rock on, dude. I wanted to see this on a monitor since the first time I played this game in VR so thanks! I also shared it with my brother and a friend who don't have VR but were interested in playing the game and they were stoked, lol.

Awesome! And thank you!

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

This leaves me curious: can save games move between the VR / non-VR versions?

Because I could definitely see a case for people who want to experience the full VR game, but would rather switch to a flat screen for certain parts (...Jeff). Those terror levels keep my kids from touching it, for instance : )

fart town usa

Gold Member
Very cool.

This isn't directed at the mods but people really need to knock it off with poo pooing VR. If you don't have a headset and have never experienced VR, just shut up please. VR is great and the poo pooing of it just comes off as petty.

Wonko_C

Cool, I have no interest in VR so it’s nice to see a ‘normal’ version.
This sounds like someone watched a trailer for a new game but then wanted it to be a movie because of no interest in playing video games.

I played the first half (heh) in VR. I just don't like VR very much. I'll try this out. It might not work well out of VR but we'll see.
Curious to read about this, what don't you like about it?

Oh and all our playtesters and players have said the game is HARDER in no-vr than with VR and I agree.

We’ve tuned things. So give it a try before thinking it will be too easy haha
Moving the game to a more restrictive method of control and movement is naturally going to make the game harder. Interested in comparisons.

Robb

Gold Member
This sounds like someone watched a trailer for a new game but then wanted it to be a movie because of no interest in playing video games.
I’ve tried the VR version, it’s very cool (a lot more so than I would’ve thought tbh). I just have no interest in purchasing/owning a VR set, so I’d be happy to take a version that runs without it - despite the shortcomings.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Oh and all our playtesters and players have said the game is HARDER in no-vr than with VR and I agree.

We’ve tuned things. So give it a try before thinking it will be too easy haha
I'll wait for animation update in October before playing. I'm glad to hear that it's harder without VR.

Last edited:
This happens all the time lol. What do you think the movie industry has been trying to do with video games and anime for the past decade(if not longer)? There are people today who would rather just wait and see The Last of Us seasons 2 and 3 than play the games.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
All the team members played it in VR and loved it so much we wanted to get it to everyone who can.

It was not a belief we could make it better than VR. No way. VR is the way to play this game. Of course.

But playing it on a Steam Deck anywhere at 60fps max settings is also awesome.
Hold the phone. This runs on the Steam Deck with maxed settings at 60fps?? I’ve got an Index so I wasn’t at all originally interested in this… but now I am. 👀

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
If more games like this came to VR I would still have my VR headset. Sold it off after beating this.

Alyx is THE VR experience. Without VR it’s pointless. Skip the mod and watch a playthrough on YT instead.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Call me crazy but if you don't like or can't do VR, just skip a game built from top to bottom around VR. You don't need to have access to every game. Sometimes due to a disability I choose to willfully exclude myself from activities in life and don't feel I'm entitled to a nerfed version of said activity because I'm "interested in it", I'll just do something else I can do properly instead.

I'd be bummed if there was a workaround way to play Astro Bot without a headset. All those people out there thinking they had actually played the game, maybe even having an opinion on it. About to happen to Alyx.

Also I'm not really sure where this whole idea that PS5 should have Alyx comes from...why would Valve care about this. Because Sony is releasing games on Steam? Give me a break Valve owes them nothing and doesn't care if they take all their games down tomorrow.

Justin9mm

No offense to the mod team, but this one looks way more polished:

It actually has Amnesia style world and physics interactivity (instead of the HL2 float pickup the other one uses)

I personally don't care either way. Already finished it twice in VR. But good for people who just want the experience that half-life atmosphere.

The gameplay without VR would be uninspiring/border line boring. They should just watch the cutscenes on YouTube lol

Last edited:
Call me crazy but if you don't like or can't do VR, just skip a game built from top to bottom around VR. You don't need to have access to every game. Sometimes due to a disability I choose to willfully exclude myself from activities in life and don't feel I'm entitled to a nerfed version of said activity because I'm "interested in it", I'll just do something else I can do properly instead.

I'd be bummed if there was a workaround way to play Astro Bot without a headset. All those people out there thinking they had actually played the game, maybe even having an opinion on it. About to happen to Alyx.

Also I'm not really sure where this whole idea that PS5 should have Alyx comes from...why would Valve care about this. Because Sony is releasing games on Steam? Give me a break Valve owes them nothing and doesn't care if they take all their games down tomorrow.
As cool as VR is I do not believe it will ever replace traditional gaming. Not specifically because of the price of hardware requirement, all of that will eventually get a lot more technologically advanced and much cheaper as the time goes, so it will be easier to adept or even include in future console releases. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS6 comes in packaged as VR ready or the PS7 is probably more realistic for that

However, the reason why it won't replace traditional gaming how some marketed it such as or hoped for is simply because of things like you said disabilities and motion sickness. That is not something you can really fix and I know a lot of people who easily get headaches or vertigo using VR. Because of those reasons I believe VR is just going to stick as a niche for those who want to have a different experience or try something new.

I have yet to buy any of the VR headsets and right now for me personally there are far too many cables and stuff involved. I know there are some wireless headsets but they are not good as the Valve Index and I want the best of the best. I am going to continue waiting until it gets a lot more advanced.

Last edited:

BlackTron

As cool as VR is I do not believe it will ever replace traditional gaming. Not specifically because of the price of hardware requirement, all of that will eventually get a lot more technologically advanced and much cheaper as the time goes, so it will be easier to adept or even include in future console releases. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS6 comes in packaged as VR ready or the PS7 is probably more realistic for that

However, the reason why it won't replace traditional gaming how some marketed it such as or hoped for is simply because of things like you said disabilities and motion sickness. That is not something you can really fix and I know a lot of people who easily get headaches or vertigo using VR. Because of those reasons I believe VR is just going to stick as a niche for those who want to have a different experience or try something new.

I have yet to buy any of the VR headsets and right now for me personally there are far too many cables and stuff involved. I know there are some wireless headsets but they are not good as the Valve Index and I want the best of the best. I am going to continue waiting until it gets a lot more advanced.

What does anything I said have to do with VR replacing traditional gaming?

What does anything I said have to do with VR replacing traditional gaming?
I never said you said it or implied that thats what you meant. I was just wanting to add my opinion in addition to what you were saying in regards to excluding acitivies based on someone's disabilities. I am just simply saying that i don't believe VR is going to become mainstream because of the things you specified.

I hate texting, sometimes it's hard to understand the context and everything is taken out of it -_-

Last edited:

BlackTron

I never said you said it or implied that thats what you meant. I was just wanting to add my opinion in addition to what you were saying in regards to excluding acitivies based on someone's disabilities. I am just simply saying that i don't believe VR is going to become mainstream because of the things you specified.b

Ok. I agree that VR will never become mainstream but I don't think it's because of any reasons I specified, ie disabilities. People have disabilities that prevent them from using a normal controller, doesn't stop controllers or traditional video games from being mainstream.

Mainstream popularity =/= niche needs

Wonko_C

I like Half Life I hate VR so this might work out nicely
I hate Half Life I like VR so Alyx worked out nicely for me haha.

Probably because Valve wants to see VR as a medium grow, and they're known for not really caring about exclusivity.

Top Bottom